PDA

View Full Version : I am disappointed

willandi
11-28-2014, 01:50 PM
The box score shows Kenny Gaines in the game for Georgia. That must mean that the NCAA, his head coach and the head of the NIT have no problem with his breaking Perkins jaw in a non-basketball move...however inadvertantly.

dan71w
11-28-2014, 02:08 PM
i agree, wish there was a way to show out displeasure. when an incident like that happens, it the trust in the system that allows it to happen.

DixieZag
11-28-2014, 02:14 PM
That is a further outrage. The NCAA has had time to review the incident and done nothing. Gaines gets away scot free - no consequences. Leave it to the NCAA to make the most mind-boggling decisions in sports. It's a suspension in the NFL, not in NCAA basketball.

Zagger
11-28-2014, 02:15 PM
I wish I knew more about how calls by officials can be protested by fans or by teams/schools. I'm ripe for doing whatever I can that might lead to better officiating when it comes to non-basketball tactics being conducted on college BB courts. The world is violent enough. I'm a Zag fan due to being a Spokanite, a Zag grad AND I admire Gonzaga's program (developing and valuing skilled players with admirable sportspersonship). I detest programs/players that supplement skill w/ BS tactics.

Ezag
11-28-2014, 02:18 PM
part of this is on the gonzaga coaching staff. I don't care if they voiced their opinion behind-the-scenes sometimes you need to do it publicly to get any effect. sometimes you gotta kick some dirt in the umps face.

jazzdelmar
11-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Time to let it go. Nothing to be gained at this point. The time was at that moment or shortly thereafter but apparently nothing was said by GU officials.

gonzagafan62
11-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Time to let it go. Nothing to be gained at this point. The time was at that moment or shortly thereafter but apparently nothing was said GU by officials.

You are correct jazz. Let it go.

dan71w
11-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Time to let it go. Nothing to be gained at this point. The time was at that moment or shortly thereafter but apparently nothing was said GU by officials.

I disagree, if we just let it go, then the problem persists.
sometimes for change to occur the outrage needs to continue until it becomes a roar.

jazzdelmar
11-28-2014, 02:37 PM
sometimes for change to occur the outrage needs to continue until it becomes a roar.

Admirable intention but how can GU bring enough weight to bear on the situation at this point? Plus, it will distract the program from the only goal, which is to win and advance.

CDC84
11-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Whether Gonzaga fans (myself included) like it or not, the consensus is that TV analysts (except Knight), college basketball writers, the NCAA, the SEC, whatever, feels that it was not intentional, period. That it wasn't even worthy of a flagrant one.

No matter how much complaining occurs, Gaines is not going to be suspended, and games will continued to be called the same way because the people in charge don't see this as being anything that even remotely resembles a problem. It was just unfortunate accident on the court.

sittingon50
11-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Wonder how that's gonna' work out long term in Ferguson?

dan71w
11-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Good question, just keep emailing the officials and media.
just give up means you except defeat. when you fight for what you believe to be right then the victory is that much sweeter. I do not think it would detract from the program at all. If the officials and the NCAA are not looking after our kids and keeping them safe, then it becomes on us for not demanding the change. Just "let it go" is a failed attempt to keep our kids safe.

Zag4Hire
11-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Admirable intention but how can GU bring enough weight to bear on the situation at this point? Plus, it will distract the program from the only goal, which is to win and advance.

Send some a formal petition to the Gonzaga AD to not schedule games for any sport with the University of Georgia signed by alumni, students, etc.

bartruff1
11-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Gee...they must not read the forum..

willandi
11-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Whether Gonzaga fans (myself included) like it or not, the consensus is that TV analysts (except Knight), college basketball writers, the NCAA, the SEC, whatever, feels that it was not intentional, period. That it wasn't even worthy of a flagrant one.

No matter how much complaining occurs, Gaines is not going to be suspended, and games will continued to be called the same way because the people in charge don't see this as being anything that even remotely resembles a problem. It was just unfortunate accident on the court.

But 'intentional' is not a requirement of a flagrant! I would guess that a leg whip to the knee would be acceptable...especially if you have already fallen and the player might get by you to the basket.
There is no email that I could find to the ncaa, just long distance, to a recording device I am sure. They don't want to listen to any criticism of anything by anybody. They suck and they know it!

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-28-2014, 03:17 PM
A suspension isn't going to unbreak Josh's jaw, so I honestly don't care.

Zagger
11-28-2014, 03:19 PM
I don't mind going beyond this I just want to learn what constructive things I might do as a fan of college BB to make concerns I might have are known. I'll investigate the NCAA's protocols. Injuries are going to happen but they shouldn't get treated lightly.

CDC84
11-28-2014, 03:46 PM
But 'intentional' is not a requirement of a flagrant!

I understand that. But the prevailing sentiment among many on this board is that the foul was intentional, and that Gaines should've been assessed a flagrant two, tossed from the game and suspended. My point is that the refs didn't even view it as being worthy of a flagrant one, and no one else that I've seen outside of Knight and Gonzaga fans view the call as being anything that even remotely deserves the amount of attention it is getting on this board. The national consensus (not necessarily my view) is that it was an unfortunate accident that happened on the court. And incidents like this will continue to happen at sporting events that are played at a high speed. It's part of the game and what comes with it. A small group of fans who saw one of their players get badly hurt are not going to change this fact. Similarly, even if Gaines was given a flagrant one, it's not going to stop these unfortunate incidents from happening in other games.

I seriously doubt that Gonzaga is going to do anything on this matter. Gaines and Fox reportedly reached out to Perkins and Gonzaga after the game. There were no fist fights or heated words exchanged.

bartruff1
11-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Gaines just took a hard knee to the base of his skull that might have resulted in a very serious injury... there was no foul called ...no flagrant foul called... it was a accident...

it happens...

dan71w
11-28-2014, 03:58 PM
i see it as gaines was out of control period. his high flying act had no control, and he was not making a play on the ball. he was making a play on the player. it is that out of control act that resulted in an injury, had the ref's been calling a game in which running into each other was not alright, and the fouls had been called to prevent the "aggressive" play style then it might not have happened.
the way the game was called, rewarded the players to play aggressive, and out of control.

willandi
11-28-2014, 04:02 PM
Then take away the inadvertant elbow!

CDC84
11-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Gaines just took a hard knee to the base of his skull that might have resulted in a very serious injury... there was no foul called ...no flagrant foul called... it was a accident...

it happens...

Incidental contact is considered to be a part of basketball. What happened to Gaines today happens several times a week during the college basketball season. That blow to the head that Gaines took....I've never seen a call on it in a division one basketball game, ever. And I doubt it will ever be called. Things happen during games that are played at high speed.

willandi
11-28-2014, 04:17 PM
As described in a different thread, Gaines dove to the floor and a player fell into him. Not the same at all.
That being said, I do hope that he is OK. My only real desire for a suspension was as a learning tool, to understand that what you do has repercussions, and to act accordingly. That was all.
I do feel that the NCAA, by not addressing it, failed again. I wonder if UW would take Emmert back?