• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs St. John's: prediction thread....also share any of your thoughts

Gonzaga 80
    St John's 67

For some reason I am feeling that Gonzaga will a better TEAM GAME tomorrow, especially on defense. Their defense was pretty bad last night; so expect it to be much better tomorrow. St. John's has some pretty athletic players who are fast and quick and can jump so they will be in the game. They are also at home and play well there. And I expect PK and Sabonis to play much, much better tomorrow. I think that for both of them that that was their worst game we will see this year; so it's good to get that one out of the way early in the season.

I'm sure hoping Bell can look for his offense. He took one shot last night. Unbelievable. One shot. Why does he disappear on the offensive end of the floor in so many games. I expect him to play better tonight. And Wesley too. He probably had his worst offensive game that he will have this year too. WELCOME TO ROAD GAMES GONZAZA.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Nope that's welcome to bad officiating. We would have been up by 30 at some point if there wasn't such Ticky tac calls. After the first four minutes Georgia coach fox went out and said to muk it up at least that's my guess. Gonzaga will have no problem tomorrow. We always beat the johnnies. Gonzaga 79 St. John's 64
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Love ya, Lavin, but--

This'n's for Josh, a poem
      <ahem>
      Roses are red,
      Zags need motivation?
      How 'bout Josh's jaw?
      Yours truly, entire Zag Nation.

<Get 'em, Zags!>
      -----
      Josh Perkins' Team - 88
      Coach Lavin's Team - 64

:]
      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Zagger
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

The Zags are going to be prepared + they'll have a bit more inspiration than usual in putting up points for Josh. Suspect the officials will be a bit more on their toes too. I'm fully expecting a very good college basketball game with the Zags playing well enough to win by a comfy margin. SJU just isn't that good (shooting, etc). There will not be a repeat performance in Zag foul troubles. It'll be a physical game but with Smart play/coaching by the Zags (and good officiating - which should always be what to expect) SJU won't have a chance against an inspired Zag onslaught.

Which Zags will shine? Take your pick :-) It's fair to expect SJU to pay close attention to KW but he seems to have MSG wired. I think we'll see another good game from Kyle. I also expect both Kevin & Gary to keep SJU very busy. Both Mt K and Sabonis will be fired up was well. I dont't think they'll foul out 2 games in a row. With Josh out I also expect both Byron and Draino to make some SJU players feel Zag pain. It'll be SJU in foul trouble this time around as Angel is no slouch in driving to the basket either. If Sabonis is a fast study/learner we'll see some significant points from him - maybe half from FTs.
        Go Josh! Go Zags! Zags 90 - SJU 70 (if they're lucky)

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Better play defense a lot better than last night. They looked disinterested and clumbsy. And St Johns has some nice rebounders. I suspect that early on in the season, we've got a target on our backs now. I just hope the kids know that they must bring their A game and go hard every game.
          Defense, rebounding and no turns.<_ mandatory

Comment

• FGZagDad
            Bulldog Fan
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
            Nope that's welcome to bad officiating. We would have been up by 30 at some point if there wasn't such Ticky tac calls. After the first four minutes Georgia coach fox went out and said to muk it up at least that's my guess. Gonzaga will have no problem tomorrow. We always beat the johnnies. Gonzaga 79 St. John's 64
            I'm hoping the Zags come out with a take it to em fire right from the tip. I'm guessing the guys don't like that they lost Josh. Would like to see us be the aggressor tomorrow night, attacking the rim with KP, GBJ and BW. KD will need to be ready. Our bigs play smarter and we grind out another win that's not pretty but better than last nights win...with no injuries.

Zags 81
            Johnnies 70

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
              • Feb 2007

Redmen... err... Red Storm 150
              Zaggies 40

Really, what the hell is a Red Storm??? never got it when I worked there... most of the people that work/go/graduated from there hate the name.
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• HenneZag
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2012

We will score points. What I want to see is us getting back to the fundamentals on defense. Their were too many missed assignments last night and plays where we were out hustled. St Johns will attack our bigs in the lane to try and get them in foul trouble. Last nights game reminded me of the Ok St game in the tourney last year, so many fouls. Im hoping for a more fluid game, and execution on both ends of the floor for the ZAGS.
                America's Team!

Comment

• Marcus
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2013

I think the Zags win by 15-20. They have plenty of motivation from last night. I expect to see Sabonis really put on a show on the boards. He looked so frusterated last night and I think you'll see a different guy this game. I also expect a good bounce back from Wesley offensivley, and think he'll be much more aggressive.

Comment

• bigblahla
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                    Zaggies 40

Really, what the hell is a Red Storm??? never got it when I worked there... most of the people that work/go/graduated from there hate the name.
                    I think I caught the red storm once while traveling on the road in a rock band...a good shot makes it go away.....

Zags win a tough one and bring home the trophy..

Go!! Zags!!!
                    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• WILLYMCG
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Zagger View Post
                      The Zags are going to be prepared + they'll have a bit more inspiration than usual in putting up points for Josh. Suspect the officials will be a bit more on their toes too. I'm fully expecting a very good college basketball game with the Zags playing well enough to win by a comfy margin. SJU just isn't that good (shooting, etc). There will not be a repeat performance in Zag foul troubles. It'll be a physical game but with Smart play/coaching by the Zags (and good officiating - which should always be what to expect) SJU won't have a chance against an inspired Zag onslaught.

Which Zags will shine? Take your pick :-) It's fair to expect SJU to pay close attention to KW but he seems to have MSG wired. I think we'll see another good game from Kyle. I also expect both Kevin & Gary to keep SJU very busy. Both Mt K and Sabonis will be fired up was well. I dont't think they'll foul out 2 games in a row. With Josh out I also expect both Byron and Draino to make some SJU players feel Zag pain. It'll be SJU in foul trouble this time around as Angel is no slouch in driving to the basket either. If Sabonis is a fast study/learner we'll see some significant points from him - maybe half from FTs.
                      Go Josh! Go Zags! Zags 90 - SJU 70 (if they're lucky)
                      The NY volume crowd, band and cheerleaders should be a factor the young Zags haven't seen yet. Learning experience. I am concerned about continuation of "charge the bigs, don't worry about the actual shot availability" that seems to be a tactic. Many times last night PK and Domas were straight up defensively, contact was forced into them (per ESPN photo) and call made against them. I personally cant think of a way to counter when calls/ versus no-calls are made.

Comment

• zagamatic
                        Zag for Life
                        • Aug 2009

I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, but ESPN has the St John's game listed as a 7 pm eastern time tip on ESPN2.
                        I'm not counting on the officiating being any better. But I'll still take the Zags by 10. 75-65.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2009

I think our kids are going to play with a level of intensity that we haven't seen from this team, yet.

Pity the Red Storm. They will have a very bad night.
                          “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Zaggies 40

What is a red storm? Haven't you been to Jupiter? Hint; Take the flags down and the laundry in if one is ever headed your way.

GU = Motivated. Motivated = Good Defense. Good Defense = Good win.

Refs = "Motivated" (I assume they'll be very well aware of the protests made.)

GU 86
                            Not GU 66
                            Last edited by DZ; 11-27-2014, 05:59 PM.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2009

Zaggies 40

I think it used to be Red Men, but they were more willing to change than that football team in DC was. Memory is hazy; I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X