PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Knight

zagapotomus
11-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Ad nauseum. Exhausting.

gozagswoohoo
11-26-2014, 08:37 PM
I loved em. He doesn't have the smooth delivery or anything, but I was loving all the comments/tips he was pointing out. More than once, I re-wound a play to re-watch it based on something he said.

Really liked him.

That being said, he COULD get old after a few games...

NEC26
11-26-2014, 08:37 PM
He really is. Can't stand listening to him. Doesn't matter who is playing. He thinks we watch the game to listen to him coach or something.

ZagLawGrad
11-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Would love to see him on more Zag games.

gonzagafan62
11-26-2014, 08:38 PM
Id definitely rather have schulman and fraschilla

gozagswoohoo
11-26-2014, 08:41 PM
The way he 'calls' a game is different, yes. But what I envision is that he is calling a game how he would dissect game film for his own players. Pointing out player tendencies, or what player xyz does good or bad. And to get to hear one of the greatest coaches to ever live do that for my team....love it.

Again...I wouldn't want it every game, but I really enjoyed it.

hockeyzag
11-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I love him too. His coach speak did get a little tiring at the end of the game, but I never learn as much as I do about the way the game is played than when I listen to Bobby Knight.

I agree though that I wouldn't want to listen to that kind of commentary for every game.

ZagNative
11-26-2014, 08:45 PM
I really enjoyed him.

webspinnre
11-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Clearly he knows the game, but I find him to be terrible at calling it. He's just not that great at communicating his knowledge over the air. Put him in front of a whiteboard and I imagine it'd be much better.

SteelZag
11-26-2014, 08:47 PM
I really enjoyed him.

+1

Radbooks
11-26-2014, 08:47 PM
I enjoyed it, but I agree it might get old if it was every game! :)

ZagNative
11-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Clearly he knows the game, but I find him to be terrible at calling it. He's just not that great at communicating his knowledge over the air. Put him in front of a whiteboard and I imagine it'd be much better.I Thought he was great at communicating his knowledge over the air.

NEC26
11-26-2014, 08:49 PM
He is always telling us what he would do. News flash this game isn't about him and its the same every game. I tired of him after 10 minutes the first time I had to listen to him call a game.

RenoZag
11-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Knight thought the Perkins injury foul was a "non-basketball" play and the Georgia player made no play on the ball, so I guess he has that going for him. . .

At one point I had to mute the telecast; needed a break from his incessant chatter.

At times, Coach Knight talks like he's getting paid by the word.

Dogtownkid
11-26-2014, 08:56 PM
I liked him, too. His voice was a bit irritating, but his knowledge makes up for that.

gobroncsgozags
11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
I liked the information he was presenting but don't think he did a great job getting it across.

Every commentator, football and basketball, talks too much for my taste these days. Knight takes the cake though. He didn't shut his mouth the whole game.

Mantua
11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
I enjoyed it, but I agree it might get old if it was every game! :)

Agree!

Zag 77
11-26-2014, 09:14 PM
When Knight works a game, I always learn something new. I think he explains things in a way that is understandable to the viewer.

GrizZAG
11-26-2014, 09:17 PM
He is a gift. Hopefully Zags watch the broadcast later. Tons of good tips and points. Yes it gets annoying, but has much value....to us if we listen. The man knows roundball.

thespywhozaggedme
11-26-2014, 09:19 PM
I agree 100% which is funny because I thought he was a condescending ######bag and bully as a coach, but he has seemed to really mellow as an announcer.
I loved em. He doesn't have the smooth delivery or anything, but I was loving all the comments/tips he was pointing out. More than once, I re-wound a play to re-watch it based on something he said.

Really liked him.

That being said, he COULD get old after a few games...

zag buddy
11-26-2014, 09:19 PM
+1

Robzagnut
11-26-2014, 09:40 PM
When Knight works a game, I always learn something new. I think he explains things in a way that is understandable to the viewer.

+1

Hope he does the St. John's game.

229SintoZag
11-26-2014, 09:52 PM
I cannot believe we have people complaining about having Bob Knight doing color for our games. I've seen it all now.

Bocco
11-26-2014, 09:56 PM
I cannot believe we have people complaining about having Bob Knight doing color for our games. I've seen it all now.
Agreed.

NEC26
11-26-2014, 09:59 PM

I guess it takes all kinds. I personally can't stand listening to the guy take over every single game I have ever heard him broadcast. That guy must have an ego the size of Texas. Blathering on and on and on its no different than Heister.
Theres a game going on and he's still telling us all about what he would do and say. Good gravy.

ZagNut08
11-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Zero fluctuation is his voice, not made to be on air. I can see what he is talking about so I don't need him to breakdown every play for me, exhausting.

jim77
11-26-2014, 10:03 PM
I guess it takes all kinds. I personally can't stand listening to the guy take over every single game I have ever heard him broadcast. That guy must have an ego the size of Texas. Blathering on and on and on its no different than Heister.
Theres a game going on and he's still telling us all about what he would do and say. Good gravy.

He's got more BB IQ in his fingernail then....nevermind....maybe the coach should let the team watch the replay with BK's comments included...they could learn something.

Marcus
11-26-2014, 10:05 PM
I like his insight, he's a bit dry but I like the content.

NEC26
11-26-2014, 10:06 PM
He's got more BB IQ in his fingernail then....nevermind....maybe the coach should let the team watch the replay with BK's comments included...they could learn something.

I am aware of the vast gulf of basketball knowledge between Heister and Knight. My point is they both tend to take over a broadcast and make it about them. Especially Knight. I wanted to watch a game not have Knight blather on and on. He still will be talking about some coaching point 3 possessions later. Follow the dang game!

mendiant
11-26-2014, 10:22 PM
At first I was trying to figure out who this voice was...when I found out it was Knight, certain prejudices, snuck in...but frankly, I found his insight helpful. I really hope he is there for more GU games...so long as no chairs are thrown ;)

229SintoZag
11-26-2014, 10:26 PM

For real? Bob Knight is no different from Heister?

Wow.

Just wow.

MDABE80
11-26-2014, 10:56 PM
I like the guy. SO many pearls he gives. As a "color guy" he's not the bouncy hi interest guy and he won't be yelling "onions" much.... but he's got the game down. Something about that counts a lot with me.

ZagsGoZags
11-26-2014, 11:02 PM
For those of us trying to learn more about the game, he gives a lot of insight into particulars that most announcers can't or won't give. He is like Richard Fox and Dan Dickau but with more knowledge of the game from a coaches standpoint.
I would like to hear him every game.

seacatfan
11-26-2014, 11:10 PM
I never liked him as a coach. Sure he's a Hall of Famer, but he was also one of the biggest jerks ever among the coaching ranks. I don't like him as a commentator either.

HillBillyZag
11-26-2014, 11:18 PM
It does take all kinds, when a Jim Rome or Colin Cowherd listening kid dares to question the person arguably the finest basketball tactician who ever coached the game, that blows my mind.

exclusivelee
11-26-2014, 11:22 PM
I quickly became tired of Bobby Knight announcing the game and complained about him in some other game he was the color guy for last season.

I cannot handle him constantly calling post players "the big kids". Really? He used that term in both games way too frequently.

webspinnre
11-27-2014, 12:11 AM
It does take all kinds, when a Jim Rome or Colin Cowherd listening kid dares to question the person arguably the finest basketball tactician who ever coached the game, that blows my mind.

There's a difference between being a fine basketball mind and being a good color commentator. Knight is excellent at the first, mediocre at the second.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-27-2014, 02:51 AM
I like his insight, he's a bit dry but I like the content.

Agreed. He is an insightful change of pace. I would take his dry insight over Vitale's mindless cheerleading any day of the week.

Zag4Hire
11-27-2014, 03:08 AM
I do prefer him over the masses of color commentators but don't think he had his 'A' game tonight. Did he do the Minn-STJ tilt? If so, no wonder. I do value his insight and the give and take with the announcer was akin to a grandson and wise grandfather going to the game (Announcer asked Knight about 5 times if he approved of STJ watching the game and Knight always told him the same answer yet announcer kept probing). The FT shooting segments were hilariously in-line with this as well (Might as well had Knight lean over to the announcer, the announcer having a big bowl of popcorn on his lap, and saying, "See his feet and the way he leans in over his toes. He is going to make the shot." The announcer looks at him like he has the powers to predict the future. Shot goes in. "He made it Mr. Knight! He made it just like you said he would!" Knight grabs some popcorn, says "That's right!" with a smile and throws back the popcorn).

He is one of the smartest people to break-down defensive sets and focus on the fundamentals (I love how he kept hammering on defensive help and recover also a shooter getting their feet set).

My one thing is I don't think he does a ton of prep on the rosters and he is really a coach trying to perform commentator duties. That is why he is great for national broadcasts: If your team isn't playing, you don't know tendencies or probably even the players' names. However if you are part of the GU cult, you know everything about the player so slip-ups of the names or calling a player "Gonzaga player" or "Gonzaga defender" is a bit off-putting or an isolated incident identified as a pattern indicative of the player can come off wrong.

Bottom line: Consider the vast amounts of color commentators that are CAPABLE of doing a national broadcast. Count how many you can say you learned a couple things about basketball from EACH game. You probably only have a few. Knight is up there.

Hey what do you want? Len Elmore? Ha. I think the only other one I like right now in the rotation is one I have liked a long time (Fraschilla). He really is great. Bilas is pretty good as well.

bartruff1
11-27-2014, 04:09 AM

I really enjoy him...learn more about the game and the team ...he has been there and done that.... and is a real expert...

Probably knows as much about the game as anyone...

Zagger
11-27-2014, 05:33 AM
I liked Knight. It was a bit different but I learned a few things. It was good to hear the game from a coaching viewpoint. I wouldn't want to have Knight announcing every Zag game but I'm looking forward to whenever the next on is. Critical assessment is good once in a while.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2014, 05:40 AM
Obviously the General knows the game better'n anyone here....but there is a overarching negativism to everything he says. Not quite like scolding, maybe more like remonstrating...he is way ahead of some we are stuck with; you know who they are.

deathchina
11-27-2014, 06:08 AM
Lol, sorry Jazzy but I had a laugh at your "overarching negativism" comment regarding BK.

### calling the kettle black?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Obviously the General knows the game better'n anyone here....but there is a overarching negativism to everything he says. Not quite like scolding, maybe more like remonstrating...he is way ahead of some we are stuck with; you know who they are.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2014, 06:10 AM
Lol, sorry Jazzy but I had a laugh at your "overarching negativism" comment regarding BK.

### calling the kettle black?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I, too, was laughing as I typed.....thanks for the note....Happy TG

Zagsker
11-27-2014, 06:42 AM
I love listening to people repeat themselves...over and over.

I also love listening to people repeat themselves...over and over.

vandalzag
11-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Spot ON

Ekrub
11-27-2014, 07:59 AM
He was talking up gonzaga almost the whole night he was also talking up the zebras too

229SintoZag
11-27-2014, 08:46 AM
The only guy I have liked better as a color guy on our games was Rick Majerus before he passed on. For some reason both of them are able to point things out that most '"cheerleader" type color guys just don't see or point out. I find it valuable and I think it enahances the experience of watching the game. I agree that there is a bit of negativity when what he sees is something that can be improved, but come on people. Knight had nothing but great things to say about coach Few, about the program, about many Zags players, and about how good the team is. All in all he was pretty balanced.

The guy can clearly see a lot of things that most of us cannot see. I cannot fathom how that is a bad thing, but whatever. To each his own.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2014, 08:54 AM
The only guy I have liked better as a color guy on our games was Rick Majerus before he passed on. For some reason both of them are able to point things out that most '"cheerleader" type color guys just don't see or point out. I find it valuable and I think it enahances the experience of watching the game. I agree that there is a bit of negativity when what he sees is something that can be improved, but come on people. Knight had nothing but great things to say about coach Few, about the program, about many Zags players, and about how good the team is. All in all he was pretty balanced.

The guy can clearly see a lot of things that most of us cannot see. I cannot fathom how that is a bad thing, but whatever. To each his own.

Rick, god rest his soul, had an awesome sense of humor and never took himself all that seriously. Must have picked that up from McGuire. KNight does not suffer from those qualities at all...

Zags11
11-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Knight is a genius coach. He is helping alot of casual fans and non casual fans and even die hard fans. He knows what is going on. He doesnt have the best voice but we nit pick here.....carry on.

:horse:

Reborn
11-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to you all, and a special thanksgiving to our team over in New York City. Happy Thanksgiving! And YOU are definitely on my list of people I am thankful for.

Go Zags!!!

Larrylegend
11-27-2014, 07:48 PM
At one point I had to mute the telecast; needed a break from his incessant chatter.

Ummm, he’s an announcer. Hello?
Bobby Knight is a college basketball coaching icon and certain Hall of Famer. Throughout the game he focused on Gonzaga’s play and especially praised Pangos. Knight gave plenty of insight about Gonzaga and its players. Worth noting was his observation about GU’s biggest weakness: lack of help on the defensive side

GrizZAG
11-28-2014, 05:51 AM
It would be interesting to start a punch list of commentary by Knight in that game pertaining to both positive and critiques. He seemed to do analysis of virtually every possession and while annoying it was a ton of value to pay attention to.
Add to the list:

* Focus on defensive help
* Note "Pangos never takes his eye off the basket when he shoots free throws"
* Karno should get in set position when defending the drive, not be in motion and draw the foul
* Many comments on footwork and squaring up for long jumpers

Add to list. Memory is there were a ton of good comments and I cannot recall them all,

If you know how to format the list better, please do. (what happened to the bullet button?)

bartruff1
11-28-2014, 06:04 AM
Ummm, he’s an announcer. Hello?
Bobby Knight is a college basketball coaching icon and certain Hall of Famer. Throughout the game he focused on Gonzaga’s play and especially praised Pangos. Knight gave plenty of insight about Gonzaga and its players. Worth noting was his observation about GU’s biggest weakness: lack of help on the defensive side

I suspect every basketball expert in the national media listens and believes when Knight comes down off his mountain to speak the WORD....

With his blessing....he probably did more to advance the argument for Kevin to make All American and/or to win the Wooden Award than anyone else could have.

I heard him say that Gonzaga was a good or maybe even very good team...I never heard him say they were a FF team...

DixieZag
11-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Rick, god rest his soul, had an awesome sense of humor and never took himself all that seriously. Must have picked that up from McGuire. KNight does not suffer from those qualities at all...

Majerus also had a huge heart and love of people. He fiercely backed his players both during their tenure but especially afterward, and especially the guys on the far end of the bench. He also had many Coaching friends to whom he was very loyal, even some rivals. One reason Majerus won was that he knew how to relate to people.

Knight is more like the savant. Go find a savant in just about any field, medicine, applied science, law, and they'll have the same sort of overarching negativism and frustration with people who don't know what they do - which is everyone.

bartruff1
11-28-2014, 07:45 AM
I don't think Bobby Knight is the least bit negative...he is simply making a honest observation.... he compliments when he sees fit and criticizes when he sees fit and he sees more than this entire board can ever hope to see fit.

Once and Future Zag
11-28-2014, 07:50 AM
My biggest criticism of him as an announcer is that he sounds like he doesn't really want to be there. He just sounds tired and bored.

bartruff1
11-28-2014, 07:58 AM
My biggest criticism of him as an announcer is that he sounds like he doesn't really want to be there. He just sounds tired and bored.

That is probably 100% right...they must pay him a bunch...to get him to do this....

DADoZAG
11-28-2014, 07:59 AM
I suspect every basketball expert in the national media listens and believes when Knight comes down off his mountain to speak the WORD....

With his blessing....he probably did more to advance the argument for Kevin to make All American and/or to win the Wooden Award than anyone else could have.

I heard him say that Gonzaga was a good or maybe even very good team...I never heard him say they were a FF team...

Very well said, Bart.

But "...these are not the droids you're looking for."

Neither is any discussion on the "floor conditions". The refs are what they are.

Don't have time to read all the threads so I'm sayin it here. Get tough, be sharp.

#ZAGUP

ZagLawGrad
11-28-2014, 08:34 AM
If you don't like the General, put the radio on. You'll might switch back shortly.

bulldoginpdx
11-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the 21st century style over substance.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Bogozags
11-28-2014, 12:54 PM
That is probably 100% right...they must pay him a bunch...to get him to do this....

He is probably the smartest basketball colour-man in the business...he was much better a few years ago as he does sound tired. He isn't as sharp either, because he would never have been so ill prepared as he was for the UGA game...not even knowing the correct pronunciation of Pangos! No matter, he sees more than any of us and it refreshing to listen to a legend...

The best was Al McGuire...too bad he isn't with us anymore...

DixieZag
11-28-2014, 01:16 PM
the smartest basketball colour-man in the business.

Haven't seen color spelled properly since leaving Canada. Refreshing to see - thanks.

Bogozags
12-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Haven't seen color spelled properly since leaving Canada. Refreshing to see - thanks.

My Dad was born in BC...so some good things rub off sometimes...