PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota

Vanzagger
11-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Goph's probably down a guard off the bench. If we play them we need to be ready as they will be better without this clown.

ZagsGoZags
11-26-2014, 12:51 AM
we also need to be ready because they are a darn good team
last time I looked, they were ranked 31 in the nation

in looking over the SMU game again, they were hanging in there for awhile in the 2nd half, like 9 points behind or so before we pulled away

we have to take every game against top 50 talent like we could lose it, and must leave it all on the floor

its Ok for us fans to be giddy from swilling down the cool-aid, but I sure hope none of the players are affected by this incredible hype

if we play and beat Minnesota the media attention will be deafening

I don't like to say this, but I think our team two years ago, when ranked #1, could not avoid being affected by the hype, and I did not see the desperate defense against Southern or Wichita State that I thought I had seen in their previous 5 games of the WCC before that

just saying ....
it is asking a lot of people 18-22 years old to ignore this clamor
and if we play Minnesota I hope we will laying in wait to aggressively take it to them (like we have been doing to all the teams so far , heh-heh)

Zagger
11-26-2014, 03:50 AM
IMHO what makes the Zags so formidable is the team's depth AND the mix of that depth (and Few). Will the Zags win by 20-50 every night? No. They are not the only team out there playing to win. But, Zag opponents are up against a host of talented and determined players anyone of which can spark a scoring streak. Zag foes have a 'Whack A Mole' situation to deal with. Zags have too many moles :-)
Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
11-26-2014, 04:18 AM
Interesting conundrum: do we prefer Lil' Ricky and the Gophers or Can't Coach/Can Recruit Lav?

Both bring excellent p.r. and metro NYC recognition.

Minny is by far the better team for the resume, but the Redmen, oops, are still gamely puffing on a few embers of renown from the Little Looie, Mully and even Artest years.

As a famed Brooklynite once said, "Just win, baby."

bartruff1
11-26-2014, 04:44 AM
IMHO, you want to play the Jonnies in the Garden....get real...you can play Minnesota in Duluth or wherever they are from...or the Twin Cities where you can take a nothing day and make all seem like something worth while...

Do you want a spread in the New York Times or the Duluth News Tribune ?

My god....Frank will be watching....if we play the Jonnies..

jazzdelmar
11-26-2014, 04:45 AM
IMHO, you wan to play the Jonnies in the Garden....get real...you can play Minnesota in Duluth or wherever they are from...or the Twin Cities...

My god....Frank will be watching....

Frank? Valli, Sinatra, Costello?

bartruff1
11-26-2014, 04:50 AM
Frank? Valli, Sinatra, Costello?

There is only one Frank...the Chairman of the Board...and with all due respect to the City and Tony Bennett....only one King of the Hill....Top of the Heap...

RenoZag
11-26-2014, 05:05 AM
...you can play Minnesota in Duluth or wherever they are from...or the Twin Cities where you can take a nothing day and make all seem like something worth while...

and Chuckles the Clown will chip in a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down his pants. . .

Beat Georgia !

DixieZag
11-26-2014, 05:34 AM
IMHO, you want to play the Jonnies in the Garden....get real...you can play Minnesota in Duluth or wherever they are from...or the Twin Cities where you can take a nothing day and make all seem like something worth while...

Do you want a spread in the New York Times or the Duluth News Tribune ?

My god....Frank will be watching....if we play the Jonnies..

Interesting point. Hadn't thought of it that way. I presumed we'd rather play the higher regarded team, Minnesota. But, perhaps a win against St. John's would be more respected since they literally play their big home games there.

And, I suppose that either team that beats the other will be, by definition, the most likely we'd gain from a win against.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2014, 05:43 AM
There is only one Frank...the Chairman of the Board...and with all due respect to the City and Tony Bennett....only one King of the Hill....Top of the Heap...

Yes, of course, but Mr. S was from Hoboken, NJ altho he is inextricably linked to the Big Apple.....

bartruff1
11-26-2014, 05:46 AM
Interesting point. Hadn't thought of it that way. I presumed we'd rather play the higher regarded team, Minnesota. But, perhaps a win against St. John's would be more respected since they literally play their big home games there.

And, I suppose that either team that beats the other will be, by definition, the most likely we'd gain from a win against.

This is a marketing recruiting opportunity ...the big time Baaaaaaaay...Beeeeeee... Angel maybe the only recruit (?) we have ever had from NY... I don't know how many high school basketball players there are there with D1 skills ...but I bet there are more than there are in Minnesota... the kids in NY are going to watch the Jonnies and like what they see of the Zags..

jazzdelmar
11-26-2014, 05:52 AM
This is a marketing recruiting opportunity ...the big time Baaaaaaaay...Beeeeeee... Angel maybe the only recruit (?) we have ever had for NY... I don't know how many high school basketball players there are there with D1 skills...but I bet there are more than there are in Minnesota... the kids in NY are going to watch the Jonnies..

There are many fewer top kids in NYC proper than there used to be, Bart. Many families have moved to the exurbs and great AAU programs have sprung up in places like central and northern Jersey. Still, there are a few and the John gets some but no like pre-Big East when they would get pick of the litter. Also, maybe a half dozen of the great NYC Catholic schools have closed, like Tolentine which had Malik Sealy, Brian Reese and Red Autry on the same team....and Bishop Ford just closed in Brooklyn. I think the marketing opportunities lay more with the NYC media, extending as far as Bristol and including Dick Weiss, an influential BB writer who has been up and down on the Zags in recent years. It's all good.

sittingon50
11-26-2014, 07:15 AM
I gotta' believe there will be more butts in the seats, a.k.a. atmosphere, vs St. John's.

But (speaking of), 1st things 1st.

Radbooks
11-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Well, this is horrible...

From CBS Sports: (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24841782/report-minnesota-g-arrested-over-ugly-alleged-domestic-assault-incident)

Minnesota, which is playing two of the next three nights in New York City, has indefinitely suspended guard Daquein McNeil. The Golden Gophers sophomore has been arrested for two felony counts of domestic assault.

As a result, McNeil is not with the team in Manhattan. He's sitting in jail, in Minnesota, on $75,000 bond. The charges against McNeil were announced by the Minneapolis Police Department on Friday. They are a third-degree assault charge and a domestic assault by strangulation charge.

The details of the allegations are not pretty, as is normally the case in these situations.

The report reads that McNeil “ripped her clothes off, hit her with a large belt multiple times, choked her and poured cold water on her. The victim [was] able to flee [the] unit with only a small robe and coat. … Officers observed victim to have multiple bruising and welts all over her body.”

McNeil was apprehended by campus police and booked by Minneapolis police.

McNeil had been a role player, putting in nearly 19 minutes and averaging 3.3 points and 3.3 rebounds so far this season. The sophomore was a transfer player who went to Minnesota when Pitino took the job in 2013. Originally, McNeil committed to playing for Pitino when he was coaching Florida International.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Well, this is horrible...

From CBS Sports: (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24841782/report-minnesota-g-arrested-over-ugly-alleged-domestic-assault-incident)

Nice. Was gonna exonerate Lil Ricky but see he pulled him along. Disgrace. No impact on the game, however.

maynard g krebs
11-26-2014, 04:00 PM
NYC players aren't the kind of players GU recruits. Too much street play to coach out of em. Nunez the only one I can think of, on the rebound. On the other hand, Dower from Twin Cities, Pargo from Chi, Gibbs from Iowa to name a few. From a recruiting angle, looks like more to be gained from playing a midwest team.

jazzdelmar
11-26-2014, 04:07 PM
NYC players aren't the kind of players GU recruits. Too much street play to coach out of em. Nunez the only one I can think of, on the rebound. On the other hand, Dower from Twin Cities, Pargo from Chi, Gibbs from Iowa to name a few. From a recruiting angle, looks like more to be gained from playing a midwest team.

Agree but Few was only somewhat successful with Pargo, IMO.

RenoZag
11-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Gophers up by 9 at the half. . .

ZAGGED OUT
11-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Agree but Few was only somewhat successful with Pargo, IMO.

Pargo still put in some great games for us though, like smashing Lawson and UNC