PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Georgia: Predictions and other ideas we wish to share.....

Reborn
11-23-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm starting this thread early because it's a special time of year for a special tournament, the NIT. I think the Zags are now moving into a little more difficult part of the OOC schedule and I'm looking forward to it. The Zags had a very favorable game against SMU, but I was somewhat worried about it because I had not seen the Zags play much. And although they played great I must admit that they had their best player out. It was either their center or PF who made first team all ACC last year. He would have given SMU a greater inside presence which they lacked. I anticipate tougher games against both Georgia and the winner of Minn and St. Johns. I believe Minn will win that game. Both of them come from power conferences so I really look to see how the Zags will play.

Gonzaga 82
Georgia 61

This game will require more effort against Georgia then in the previous games. Somewhat Like SMU I think but we will play a little better. I think SMU will show that they are better defensively then Georgia. This will be Gonzaga's first Road Trip this season, and the first time for many of their players to play on a stage this big, so it will be somewhat challenging in the beginning, but they will settle down and play beautifully, and America will be pleased.

Georgia is not a good 3 point shooting team, or should I say that they have not been one so far. So I believe this will help Gonzaga. Our defense will be designed to stop penetration and passes into the post. I think this is the strength of the GU defense. GU has a great bench and of course this will help. Players get a little more tired when they play on big stages on national TV. So our substitutions will help us. Due to the fact that this game will be played in Madison Square Garden our players must focus on team work, and great passing because that's been our trademark so far this year. The players will have to fight off selfish thinking. This will be a good test for some of our players....Just don't try to do much, play as you have played. Georgia is also not a particular big team so I think the Zags are going to do quite well in their first game.

Go Zags!!!

zagamatic
11-24-2014, 12:49 AM
As long as our guys remember to pack their offense in their bags I think that we'll be fine.

Zagger
11-24-2014, 04:22 AM
Gonzaga 90 something
Georgia 60 something
The Zags are improving game by game. Which Zags will be high scorers ??? Could be a fine time for KW to light it up. With such great Zag depth/talent ..... one might be better off drawing straws on which Zag will score big against Georgia. I'm also thinking we could see some serious points from Mt. K. Zag ball handling/passing could find Shemmick open. The rest of the starting 5 KP-BW-GBJ are going to score and we know both KP & GBJ can toss in 3s. Then there's the bench ..... I'm getting dizzy on all the scoring possibilities! Maybe I'd better up my Zag score to 110! :-) Go Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
11-24-2014, 06:24 AM
Bulldogs from the land of the dirty birds 150
Bulldogs, the real ones 40

titopoet
11-24-2014, 07:13 AM
As long as our guys remember to pack their offense in their bags I think that we'll be fine.

I think the opposite, pack the defense. GU has so much more height and length that offense will not be a problem. I also hope to see more perimeter play from Sabonis. I would love to see him launch a three (and make it.) Later, having Sabonis show and work on his face up game will help face a Zeus. He has a good face up game and hasn't had to use it. Also, I hope the guys take all the press lightly and continue to show the intensity they have had in the opening games. I hope that in the next two games they get a test.

zag67
11-24-2014, 07:39 AM
85- gu
65- Georgia

The game will be close but we will pull away. I think that Pangos will be high scorer. I think our bigs will control the paint and we will have 20 assists

Salsageek
11-24-2014, 07:50 AM
88 - GU
62 - uG

gonzagafan62
11-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Gonzaga - 88
Georgia 63

Someone finally has to break 60, right? Well, Georgia in my mind is a good basketball team. They just aren't nearly as good as us. We will beat them down low and get a lot of key rebounds in this game that eventually break it open.

Georgia will be a good win to have later. I think they will do more damage in the SEC this time around.

Kiddwell
11-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Georgy, Don't You Fret, a poem
<ahem>
"We're the boys from U. of George,
Good ol' boys, we oar.
We beat the stuffin's out Florida A,
Beat the poop from Troar.
We skimmed some stones 'cross Stony Brook,
Thought that we were mighty,
Till Atlanta's fellers cooked our goose,
Kissed us all 'good nighty!'
But we'll bounce back in ol' New York,
Now, fans, don'tch you a'fear,
The Zags won't stomp us down to pork,
Nor hand us our own rears. (Honest!)"

-------
Rears In Gear - 88
Georgy Porgy - 69

:]

DixieZag
11-24-2014, 08:33 AM
GU 78
Not GU 59

The shots don't drop quite as nicely outside of K2 but going inside is too tough, the defense travels and takes it up a notch.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Zags have a bad shooting night, but play enough defense to win. Kevin turns the ball over once, just so he can have a fathomable AST:TO ratio of 30:1 after the game.

Zags 70

Georgia 62

basketballzag
11-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Gonzaga 92 Georgia 56.

rennis
11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
GU has to contain Djurisic and Thornton. Thornton is finally healthy for them and is a load, and has played well in every game other than their L to Georgia Tech. Head to head with Karno and Wiltjer is going to be fun to watch

If the GU Bulldogs can hit some outside shots, and I think they will, they should win this one going away. Look for Pangos to be the GUnit in this tilt.

GU Bulldogs 85
Georgia Puppies 70

CdAZagFan
11-24-2014, 09:38 AM
These next two games will certainly be a better barometer for how good this year's GU team is...

GU 82
GA 72

Reborn
11-24-2014, 10:38 AM
I like the Minnesota vs St. John's game. Minnesota should be the favorite but St. John's loves playing in MSG. I would like to play St. John's because the coaching match-up would be great to see. Minnesota is ranked in the top 30 now; so it would also be good to play them. Looking forward to Wednesday.

maynard g krebs
11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Zags 91
Perenially overrated in football guys 62.

Zags are ready to showcase themselves on the big stage and chomping at the bit to do so.

Gonna disagree with Reborn about having to fight off selfish thinking; Pangos as well as Bell have shown they don't play for stats, and Wesley as the other senior has clearly shown he is glad to give up being a star to play for a winner. Everybody else is following the seniors' lead; GU is now third in the nation in assists per game at 22.8. Field goal % 9th at 56.1. Three pt % 29th at 42.5. Leading scorer at 14, 7th guy at 9 ppg. All of that says great looks and unselfish play, and I think it's ingrained pretty well.

Reborn
11-24-2014, 11:16 AM
GU is tied for 29th in three-point shooting % and 13th in made three-pointers....Come on Dranginis. Start making some of those 3's. lol

I am really hoping that you are right about the temptation to try to score more when your on a big stage. I believe the temptation is there, but feel that the Zags will control it or I'm sure Few will have them sitting. I don't worry about the guys who have worn a Zag uniform in the past. I'm talking about the new guys like Sabonis, Wesley and Perkins. Afterall, Madison Square Garden on National TV is a very, very, very big stage with millions watching.

gonzagafan62
11-24-2014, 11:26 AM
I like the Minnesota vs St. John's game. Minnesota should be the favorite but St. John's loves playing in MSG. I would like to play St. John's because the coaching match-up would be great to see. Minnesota is ranked in the top 30 now; so it would also be good to play them. Looking forward to Wednesday.

That would be quite an atmosphere at MSG if it was Gonzaga vs St. John's. I am really rooting for Minnesota though. I think they will be the better team at the end.

bigblahla
11-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Zags by 20+.... 86-59.....

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
11-24-2014, 11:48 AM
KenPom has Zags by 7.

Has St. John's by 3 over Minny (Minny played Louisville fairly tough & I think they'll win, but KPom is calling home court advantage, I guess).

FWIW St. John's beat St. Thomas 97-71.

Bkzag
11-24-2014, 11:55 AM
GU is tied for 29th in three-point shooting % and 13th in made three-pointers....Come on Dranginis. Start making some of those 3's. lol

Reborn,

KD is shooting 33% of his 3pt attempts...that is decent. In addition, he is one of three GU players yet to turn the ball over...the other two are Pangos and Bakamus.

This game will be won on the inside. PK, KW, DS and AN are going to have to play stellar defence for us to win this game. Not sure if our outside shooters will "bring" their outside game or leave it in Spokane. I'm hoping they bring it...if so, this could well be a statement game...IMO

Hoopaholic
11-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Zags 74
Georgia 64

We struggle first half with rebounding and outside shots, rely heavily on inside game...then it opens up second half with shooting

Reborn
11-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Reborn,

KD is shooting 33% of his 3pt attempts...that is decent. In addition, he is one of three GU players yet to turn the ball over...the other two are Pangos and Bakamus.

This game will be won on the inside. PK, KW, DS and AN are going to have to play stellar defence for us to win this game. Not sure if our outside shooters will "bring" their outside game or leave it in Spokane. I'm hoping they bring it...if so, this could well be a statement game...IMO

I'm just talking about his outside shooting. I do NOT think that 33% is all that good. As some have said he's actually shooting 37% which is really not good but would be considered ok. IMO his shooting can not continue to be what it is right now, or we will be in trouble with the better teams. Teams like Arizona and UCLA, and even BYU and St. Mary's and USF. It's just my opinion.

I also hope that I'm wrong, and that you and others are right. In this case I really hope I'm wrong, but waiting to see what he does the next two weeks.

Reborn
11-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Waking up Tuesday morning and can hardly wait for tomorrow night. The Zags are moving into a different part of their OOC schedule now....they're going on the road to Madison Square Garden to play two teams from those elite conferences. This is will be really interesting to see, and to see how we do against two of those teams that should be near the top of the SEC and Big 10. This presents new challenges with new and fresh focus. It's time to go to the next level. I feel good because Gonzaga will be lead by Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell who are a really good back court. I understand that Georgia has a very good, and big backcourt too...So I am so excited to see the match-up. We also have Kyle Wiltjer and PKarnowski who have also played on the big stages of college basketball. GU will not be foreign to the kind of environment that will be presented in MSG tomorrow night. I"m confident.

Zag365
11-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Don't know much about UGA other than they have returning players, are from a good conference that tends to have physical defenses, and have had a decent start to their season. We know this year's Zags feature a fluid, versatile offense that is aggressive and does not play down to opponent's level. They should be able to get to high 60s or low 70s even if UGA plays strong D. Our defense, length, and rebounding have been solid; we should be able to hold them to mid-60s or less, especially since our offense is disciplined and doesn't jack up any 'ol shot early in the shotclock, leading to high number of opponent possessions.

gu03alum
11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
GU 78
Georgia 54

Zags11
11-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Zags 84
Georgia 68

Pangos with 17

willandi
11-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Drangs 33% is 4-12. If he hit 2, he is 50%. It's too early to worry. All will become clear in the 8-ball!

Vanzagger
11-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Zags -14. take it

El Zag
11-26-2014, 12:39 AM
zags 79 - 66

Zagnificent
11-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Zags win big, 74 - 47

SWZag
11-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Pre-Game Press. A lot of stuff regurgitated, some interesting things in each.

Dawn of the Dawg: Georgia basketball faces tenth ranked Gonzaga in Madison Square Garden (http://dawnofthedawg.com/2014/11/25/georgia-basketball-faces-tenth-ranked-gonzaga-madison-square-garden/)

Georgia’s big men Thornton and Djurisic have led the team in tandem, averaging about 30 points a game together, and play with a chemistry that resulted in Djurisic earning 8 assists against FAU. However, the Dawgs have not faced a player like the 7’1” 300 pound Karnowski.

CBS Sports: Georgia Bulldogs vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/preview/NCAAB_20141126_UGA@GONZAG/georgia-gonzaga-preview)

Georgia has been limited to an average of 61.2 points during a 4-23 stretch against ranked opponents. It's gone 2-19 against Top 10 foes dating to 2004.

This marks the first meeting between these programs since Gonzaga won 75-67 on Jan. 5, 2008, improving to 2-2 in the series.

Spokesman Review: Gonzaga, Georgia meet at MSG (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/nov/25/gonzaga-georgia-clash-msg/)

Nov. 2003—No. 17 Saint Joseph’s 73, No. 10 Gonzaga 66. Jameer Nelson did it all for the Hawks with 20 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds. Adam Morrison scored 33 seconds into his first career start. He finished with 10 points for Gonzaga. Cory Violette had 13 points and 15 rebounds.

Nov. 2006—Gonzaga 82, No. 2 North Carolina 74, NIT Season Tip-Off semifinals. Derek Raivio’s 21 points spurred the upset. Josh Heytvelt, Jeremy Pargo and Matt Bouldin combined for 49 points.

Butler 79, Gonzaga 71, NIT championship. A.J. Graves scored 26 points and Butler made 16 of 18 free throws in crunch time. Raivio led GU with 20. Heytvelt added 16 points and eight rebounds, despite battling foul trouble in the first half.

Dec. 2006—No. 6 Duke 61, No. 22 Gonzaga 54. Greg Paulus had 20 points and Jon Scheyer’s defense limited Raivio to four points, 16 below his average. Pargo scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half.

Dec. 2009—No. 7 Duke 76, No. 15 Gonzaga 41. Duke handed the Zags their worst loss in 20 seasons. It was Gonzaga’s lowest point total in 25 years. Robert Sacre scored a team-high nine points.

WestCoastConvo: Gonzaga heads to NYC to take on Georgia (http://westcoastconvo.com/2014/11/24/gonzaga-heads-nyc-take-georgia/)

Red and Black:
Georgia men's basketball to take on Gonzaga at Madison Square Garden (http://www.redandblack.com/sports/georgia-men-s-basketball-to-take-on-gonzaga-at-madison/article_2cc88916-7583-11e4-a3ba-f7549be2194b.html)

Mix up in the name...but a nice tidbit of information.

“Certainly we have a huge challenge to play Gonzaga,” Fox said. “They have a wonderful team and I’ve known coach Hughes longer than I care to admit, but he’s done an outstanding job. It’s a great team and a team that I voted into the top-10 in the country this week.”

Athens Banner-Herald: Three things to track: UGA heads to Madison Square Garden (http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2014-11-25/three-things-watch-uga-heads-madison-square-garden)

Reborn
11-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all that work, SWZag. Appreciate it.

Reborn
11-26-2014, 09:29 AM
It's finally Wednesday. Thank God! It's been a long wait, especially since all these great teams have been playing since Monday. Gonzaga is now ready to take the next steps in their journey this season. And I am EXCITED to see how they play on the road in MSG, against some pretty good teams that are from those major conferences. I'm still feeling pretty good about my predicition, a 21 point victory.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
11-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Zags 77
Bulldogs 64

Mr Vulture
11-26-2014, 02:55 PM
I like to wait until I get a feel for what I think will happen. My guess is that the Georgia athleticism is the best we've seen so far. They also have experience and good guard play with a little size, not like ours. I think this game is close at halftime but I still think the skill offensively for Gonzaga ultimately wins out at they pull away towards the end. I will say Gonzaga 78 and Georgia 63.

gonzagafan62
11-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Bulldogs from the land of the dirty birds 150
Bulldogs, the real ones 40

How ironic this dirty birds comment becomes lol

Reborn
11-28-2014, 07:55 AM
I posted something here that was meant to be posted on the prediction thread for the St. John's game thread. I apolgize.