PDA

View Full Version : Zags & Madison Square Garden Thanksgiving Thread: Favorite MSG Moments?!

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-23-2014, 05:38 AM
Super excited for these Zags to take their talents to NYC and play in the hoops mecca that is Madison Square Garden this Thanksgiving week. How cool is this (and how great a recruiting tool) for these kids to get to play on national television in the Garden!!?

What are your favorite Zags in MSG moments and memories? I'll start:

11/22/2006 http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=263260153

I remember planning my whole evening around watching that game and man did the Zags rise to the occasion. Heytvelt dominated Tyler Hansbrough, Raivio led the team in scoring and a guy named Jeremy Pargo played pretty well too as the unranked Gonzaga Bulldogs knocked off the previously undefeated and #2 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels.

*Hoping Angel Nunez blows up back in his hometown NYC and puts on a show in the Garden.

bartruff1
11-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Game has to be on the first page of the book of Gonzaga...

jazzdelmar
11-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Cazzie Russell vs Dollar Bill Bradley in the ECAC Holiday Festival....then Manhattan over North Carolina (led by Georgie Karl and Bill Chamberlain) in the NIT when it was nearly on a par with the NCs......great memories. Plus The General, Bobby Knight, in the NIT beating big name school with players like Bill Schutsky and Coach K. If AN does well, look for the inevitable tabloid headline: From Washington Heights to Washington Heights. :)

gonzagafan62
11-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Game has to be on the first page of the book of Gonzaga...

Yes

LongIslandZagFan
11-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Gotta agree... Josh turning psycho into a meek mouse by blocking him multiple times. It was great being at that game and the depressed looks I got from Tarheel fans on the way out just made it priceless.

DixieZag
11-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Plus, we started out behind in that game. I remember in the first 8 minutes or so thinking "Are we even going to compete?" and coming far too close to turning it off for ten minutes. And then it turned around, and it wasn't even close. It was a beat down by any definition.

Birddog
11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Plus, we started out behind in that game. I remember in the first 8 minutes or so thinking "Are we even going to compete?" and coming far too close to turning it off for ten minutes. And then it turned around, and it wasn't even close. It was a beat down by any definition.

IIRC, The Zags were 17 pts down in the first 5 or 6 minutes. I think they ended up winning by 17 after leading by an even greater margin. It was a royal butt kicking.

bartruff1
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM
" Top of the world...king of the hill ".... " if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere "...... the kids are going to have a ball...

ZagMan in Philly
11-23-2014, 02:16 PM
It is always a thrill to see the Zags at MSG.
It is even better having such a good team this year, and playing two games at the Garden.
These two games will be memorable for me.
Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
11-23-2014, 02:37 PM
" Top of the world...king of the hill ".... " if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere "...... the kids are going to have a ball...

"Autumn in New York, why does it seem so inviting.......autumn in New York it spells the thrills of first nighting....."

rennis
11-24-2014, 08:51 AM
That game in 2006 was something else. I remember delaying my Thanksgiving road trip so I could watch. Well worth the effort, that was!!

3zagda
11-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Didn't we play Duke in the Garden 1 Christmas about 7 or 8 years ago and get trounced?

TheGonzagaFactor
11-24-2014, 09:17 AM
IIRC, The Zags were 17 pts down in the first 5 or 6 minutes. I think they ended up winning by 17 after leading by an even greater margin. It was a royal butt kicking.
Game is on youtube. We were down 10-0 and by as much as 14 I believe, led by 3 at half and by as much as 17, game got back within 2 points late (we almost lost!) and we won by 8. Common misconception that we ran away with it. We were up by 2 with 4 minutes left and up by 4 with 2 minutes left. Great game all around.

TheGonzagaFactor
11-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Didn't we play Duke in the Garden 1 Christmas about 7 or 8 years ago and get trounced?
Lost a close one in December 2006 and got completely smashed in December 2009. Both at MSG.

Robzagnut
11-24-2014, 11:08 AM
1. Gerry McNamara willing Syracuse to 4 wins in 4 days in the 06 Big East tournament. Clutch performances in each of the 4 games. Syracuse had to win that tourney to get into the NCAA tournament and they did.

2. Six Overtime game between UConn and Syracuse. That was so fun to watch. I'm so bummed the Big East got ruined by football. It will never be the same.

* Wish I could say Willis Reed limping onto the court against the Lakers, but I was too young and only watched the replay. But Bill Bradley, Earl the Pearl Monroe, Cool Clyde Walt Frazier etc were my first memories of NBA basketball. I just missed Bill Russell and the Celtics.

Birddog
11-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Game is on youtube. We were down 10-0 and by as much as 14 I believe, led by 3 at half and by as much as 17, game got back within 2 points late (we almost lost!) and we won by 8. Common misconception that we ran away with it. We were up by 2 with 4 minutes left and up by 4 with 2 minutes left. Great game all around.

I stand corrected, but i don't like it. My selective memory (or distortion of the facts) is much more palatable.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-24-2014, 03:06 PM
When it comes to all time MSG memories, mine is watching the Big East conference tourney playing there throughout the mid thru late 80's especially. Never forget Dwayne "The Pearl" Washington dominating the tourney one year and the conference tourney highlight video that year was played to Van Halen's "Might As Well Jump." I wish I could find that video!

Good article about those Big East tourney years here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/sports/ncaabasketball/as-big-east-basketball-tournament-fades-a-block-remains-fresh.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The arena called the world’s most famous provided this upstart conference with national exposure, with instant credibility, with a tournament home for more than 30 years, starting in 1983. By the time the 1986 final rolled around, The New York Times described the tournament as one that “seems to have settled on a relatively high plateau, like ‘A Chorus Line’ or some other durable hit.”

“Going to New York is what made the Big East tournament,” Boeheim said. “It helped make the league.”

Those were the days, the mid-’80s, back when the Big East ruled college basketball with the most physical of imprints. The conference logo might as well have been a fist. Or a bruise.

Here were Ewing and Chris Mullin, Washington and Ed Pinckney, some of the best players in the history of college basketball, in the same conference all at once. The Big East secured national television contracts with ESPN and CBS. Three teams — Villanova, St. John’s and Georgetown — made the Final Four in 1985.

“In the original Big East, almost every game was a rivalry,” Mullin said. “Really. Every game there was a menace to it.”

maynard g krebs
11-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Adam's first points of his career v St Joe's going end to end and finishing with the baseline fadeaway, followed by Vitale's "are you kidding me".

Pretty sure that was in the Garden.

dadair
11-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Adam's first points of his career v St Joe's going end to end and finishing with the baseline fadeaway, followed by Vitale's "are you kidding me".

Pretty sure that was in the Garden.

It was, Maynard. I think that moment is etched into my memory banks, never to be erased. A truly astonishing moment.

Zag79
11-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Super excited for these Zags to take their talents to NYC and play in the hoops mecca that is Madison Square Garden this Thanksgiving week. How cool is this (and how great a recruiting tool) for these kids to get to play on national television in the Garden!!?

What are your favorite Zags in MSG moments and memories? I'll start:

11/22/2006 http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=263260153

I remember planning my whole evening around watching that game and man did the Zags rise to the occasion. Heytvelt dominated Tyler Hansbrough, Raivio led the team in scoring and a guy named Jeremy Pargo played pretty well too as the unranked Gonzaga Bulldogs knocked off the previously undefeated and #2 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels.

*Hoping Angel Nunez blows up back in his hometown NYC and puts on a show in the Garden.

This, almost felt surreal at the time.

Zag4Hire
11-26-2014, 03:52 PM
The UNC game. I remember it vividly and watching it at my parents' house. Actually watched the game on 3 TVs. Only had a MySpace account for a few months and that was the only title I had on there. Still can't wait until GU beats Dook.