PDA

View Full Version : Free Throws 2014-15

Zag 77
11-22-2014, 09:56 PM
18 for 23 against St. Thomas Aquinas is more like it. Even PK was pretty decent at 2-4.

Zag 77
11-26-2014, 08:52 PM
A truly outstanding performance against Georgia, led by Pangos' 10 for 10. This was a great example of the importance of FT shooting in a tough game where the offensive stats were roughly equal between the teams. Here the difference was GU won it at the foul line by going 32 for 35 while GA was only 22 for 35. An oddity in that both teams had the same number of FT attempts.

This strikes me as one of the better nights shooting FT's in the last 10 years.

Follow up: Pangos is tied for 15th on the chart for best FT performance in a game. The record is 15-15. The 32 for 35 is 4th best percentage wise and 10th best for number made.

Zagdawg
11-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Stepped up when they needed to.

There was a mention that Few asked the guys to put in the extra time in shooting free throws and it looks like it has paid off.

WallaWallaZag
11-26-2014, 09:12 PM
i'm not sure i put that much stock in the percentage today...karnowski didn't take any. :roll:

Marcus
11-26-2014, 09:17 PM
It was good to see them go in. It helps when your best free throw shooter gets to the line that much too:D

gonzagafan62
11-28-2014, 06:29 AM
A truly outstanding performance against Georgia, led by Pangos' 10 for 10. This was a great example of the importance of FT shooting in a tough game where the offensive stats were roughly equal between the teams. Here the difference was GU won it at the foul line by going 32 for 35 while GA was only 22 for 35. An oddity in that both teams had the same number of FT attempts.

This strikes me as one of the better nights shooting FT's in the last 10 years.

Follow up: Pangos is tied for 15th on the chart for best FT performance in a game. The record is 15-15. The 32 for 35 is 4th best percentage wise and 10th best for number made.

People worried about the Free throw shooting against Sac State, SMU, and STAC. Its like come on man, if you know this team, if we get in a free throw shooting war, we will win. We have Pangos, Bell, and Wiltjer. All of which can hit. All our guys are solid at the line besides PK.

You can't get in wars with Gonzaga, because we always win. You must get into short battles, and win. Its not really that hard. At least IMO

Reborn
11-28-2014, 06:43 AM
I was very happy about their free throw shooting. It sure helped us win that game. I was also shocked because we have shot so poorly from the line this year. I guess the Zags do what they need to do to win games. Maybe they knew they had to win at the FT line. I knew before the game from my research that Georgia goes to the line alot. They really do attack the basket and have done it all year. From looking at their stats you could see they also missed a lot of FT. I'm sure Gonzaga knew that too. Pangos and Wesley especially knew that as they both shot a lot of free throws. Wesley is really an addition to the team and he, at least, has the ability to attack the basket, and even on a night when he couldn't make a shot, he was very productive from the foul line. Would love to see that kind of foul shooting tonight.

Go Zags!!!

willandi
11-28-2014, 07:16 AM
I think we should only play our good FT shooters! Let's give up our size advantage and depth, and just play the guys that are 80%+ from the line!

tongue firmly in cheek!

Rangerzag
11-28-2014, 09:05 AM
I noticed in those earlier games when the Zags were ahead by forty or so and Shem was at the line it was much more of an adventure then when the game is tight and it becomes much more of a nail-biting occurrence.

UberZagFan
12-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Even though it is a small sample size, 7-7 deserves some credit. Hope it portends for a good mark against U of A.

Well hitting all that were attempted is good; the fact that only 7 were attempted is quite embarrassing against a team that is undersized and certainly undermanned.

sittingon50
12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Well hitting all that were attempted is good; the fact that only 7 were attempted is quite embarrassing against a team that is undersized and certainly undermanned.

New Coach, cleaned house. Serious academic issues (across all sports, not just MBB) lead to loss of scholarships & heavy fines.

maynard g krebs
12-02-2014, 10:16 PM
On a topic of such significance, I think it's important to note that the Zags are defending the ft line well, holding opponents to 65.1% from the line to rank in the top 30% of D1 teams in that category. That means my opponent ft voodoo doll is working somewhat effectively, though I could probably fine tune my needle placement a bit.

Free throws are one of many aspects of basketball where one can criticize a player's/ team's performance. I don't understand the concept of singling them out just because they are shot when the game is stopped. Just like every other aspect of the game, some players are better at them than others. Some work harder at them than others, sure, but a thread to single them out and track them from game to game seems silly.

In some ways pressure ft's are the hardest thing in basketball. Just because you aren't being defended doesn't make them easy or automatic. Everything else, you're in motion and acting on instinct and reflex, and nerves have less effect. FT's are like putting in golf; you have to mentally master your nerves, and that's a skill just as much as the physical skills of the game are. It is one skill of many. Some players are great jumpshooters, others are great passers or great rebounders or great defenders, or all of the above. And some of those guys can't make ft's at a high rate.

Nobody ever benched Wilt for shooting ft's in the 30's his last few years.

Not saying they aren't important. But why no threads singling out all the other statistical categories that are equally or more important?

maynard g krebs
12-02-2014, 10:20 PM

I don't understand. How is it embarrassing? Who should be embarrassed, and for what specific shortcoming?

UberZagFan
12-02-2014, 10:23 PM
New Coach, cleaned house. Serious academic issues (across all sports, not just MBB) lead to loss of scholarships & heavy fines.

Not sure how this has anything to do with what Uber posted. . .

sittingon50
12-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Not sure how this has anything to do with what Uber posted. . .

Yeah, my bad Uber. Was meant for another thread & not sure how it wound up here. I must have got lost on a switch at the top of the key.

UberZagFan
12-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I don't understand. How is it embarrassing? Who should be embarrassed, and for what specific shortcoming?

Embarrassing that GU does not take advantage of the size and get to the line before 40 seconds are left in the first half or whatever it was. And then continuing to take it to the hole and get fouled until at least the game is out of reach.

Yeah, my bad Uber. Was meant for another thread & not sure how it wound up here. I must have got lost on a switch at the top of the key.

Understood. Especially now with tapatalk and that crap app one can have a hard time figuring out what thread one is in. Oh, longing for the days of the bandwidth wasteland.

SteelZag
12-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Help is on the way. Eric McClellan had 6.75 FTA per game at Vanderbilt. McClellan should help immensely on both sides of the ball while giving Pangos a breather.

Zagger
12-03-2014, 03:28 AM
Watched Mt. K 'practice' free throws before the game. Did not look good. He didn't seem to have any consistency in manner or outcome. If he's getting any coaching on making free throws .... it certainly is not effective. He wasn't having any fun practicing. It looked more like he was having to eat a plate of eels.

sittingon50
12-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Way back when, I thought I read where Domas was about a 60% FT shooter in Euro. Any of you that follow those sites have the info?

Kid is shooting 78% now & looks real good

SteelZag
12-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Glancing at some of his pro stats, what stands out to me is attempting slightly more than 1 FT per game. Playing more minutes and getting to the line on a regular basis seems to be beneficial. FIBA stats may be more telling with DS receiving more regular minutes.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004485

sittingon50
12-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks Steel. Both FT% % FG% up (considerably).

maynard g krebs
12-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Embarrassing that GU does not take advantage of the size and get to the line before 40 seconds are left in the first half or whatever it was. And then continuing to take it to the hole and get fouled until at least the game is out of reach.

PK, DS, KW combined to shoot 16/20 inside the arc, which is exactly 80%. That says two things to me, that they were getting shots close to the basket, and that they weren't taking a lot of contact on those shots. That, I think, shows the fallacy of looking at a particular stat without context.

At halftime Santangelo made a point of saying SELa was doing a good job of maintaining position without fouling. You can't draw fouls unless the other team actually fouls you, or the refs are whistling things that aren't fouls, one or the other.

From Meehan's game story: "The Zags made 17 of 30 second half shots, many from point blank range".

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
12-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Great job Karno with those free throws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I love it!!!!!!!!! Keep working hard on them!!!!!!

GonzaGAW
12-13-2014, 09:17 PM
good to see Byron Wesley bounce back with a good showing after the unfortunate ending in Tucson.

Zag 77
01-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Against Portland a solid effort at the line helps make the margin of victory: 23 for 28 (82.1%). Pangos goes 7 for 8 and Wesley goes 6 for 7.

Akzag
01-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Obligatory Bump

ZagLawGrad
01-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Obligatory Bump

Seconded

zagapotomus
01-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Whew

Mantua
01-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Oh man!

U Zig, I Zag
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
####ing awful.

Zagricultural
01-15-2015, 09:14 PM
Wow. Hopefully we got THAT out of our system!

Zag 77
01-15-2015, 09:15 PM
That had to be one of the worst free throw performances by GU in at least 25 years. Bad free throw shooting seemed to be a contagion.

:vomit-smiley-007:

:explode:

:fingergun:

Zagricultural
01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Here's to 30-30 on FT's next game :)

Zagdawg
01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Shot that bad and still got the win.....I'll take it.

Agree--hope it is out of the system now.

RenoZag
01-15-2015, 09:19 PM
That had to be one of the worst free throw performances by GU in at least 25 years. Bad free throw shooting seemed to be a contagion.

No sh!t, Sherlock

Zag 77
01-15-2015, 09:22 PM
It was like watching us pee down our leg over and over and over again.

Akzag
01-15-2015, 09:24 PM
It was like watching us pee down our leg over and over and over again.

At least there is no danger of freezing temps in Malibu

Bocco
01-15-2015, 09:26 PM

It might be the worse free throw in the history of GU basketball .... and it was every one but KW.

hondo
01-15-2015, 09:29 PM
"Bad free throw shooting seemed to be a contagion."
It usually is.

GeorgiaZagFan
01-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Few is going to lock them on a bus for 2 hours and then have then practice FT's for 2 hours....in the previous 4 games the Zags had missed a total of 19 FTs, 58-77 75% ...tonight they missed 19 FTs in only 33 attempts ...on a normal night they lose. FT shooting is all about focus and confidence. I have to believe that the 2 hours on the bus affected their focus/concentration and I'm hoping that it doesn't have any long term affect on their FT shooting confidence.

CDC84
01-15-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm not saying it's an excuse, but as GoZags mentioned before the game, I really do believe the shooting background at that place is not good for visiting foul shooters. On one end you have a wall, and at the other end you have a strange tunnel. It's not an ideal set up, and let's face it, the Zags with their late arrival didn't exactly have a lot of time to get used to it.

I really doubt we will see a melt down like that the rest of the year. Good free throw shooters were missing them left and right.

The guy whose free throw shooting has really gone south is recent games is Sabonis.

DixieZag
01-15-2015, 09:32 PM
I can't believe we won that game.

We left 12 or so easy points on the board if we just have a little "off" night.

DixieZag
01-15-2015, 09:34 PM
I'm not saying it's an excuse, but as GoZags mentioned before the game, I really do believe the shooting background at that place is not good for visiting foul shooters. On one end you have a wall, and at the other end you have a strange tunnel. It's not an ideal set up, and let's face it, the Zags with their late arrival didn't exactly have a lot of time to get used to it.

I really doubt we will see a melt down like that the rest of the year. Good free throw shooters were missing them left and right.

I think that got it off to a bad start, and then it just avalanched. Got in their heads. Happens in all sports, field goal kickers, pitchers, hockey goalies, putters, once it gets in the head, it can sit and stink.

ZagsGoZags
01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Wiltjer is the man tonight at the line

Baseline
01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
The variation of the team is amazing. Usually you get a player or two to be off, but everyone?

CDC84
01-15-2015, 09:39 PM
It's not like this team was shooting 65% from the foul line going into this game.

zagamatic
01-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Holy horrific foul shooting BATMAN!

flytiezag
01-15-2015, 10:01 PM
Could the late arrival not of given quality time to get use to shooting fouls shots in waves gym.

PNW Zagfan
01-15-2015, 10:04 PM
A very painful experience, but looking forward to the next "W"!

GonzaGAW
01-15-2015, 10:12 PM
"Bad free throw shooting seemed to be a contagion."
It usually is.

this is spot on, when a team tanks it like this its a snowball that cannot be stopped, not even by kevin pangos.

it happens now and again, we overcame it and now we move on.

Robzagnut
01-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Wesley stunk up the joint followed by Bell. When Pangos finally went to the line we thought it was over then he missed 2 in a row! Hopefully, Coach Few sends them all to the line tomorrow to each practice 500+ FT. That was absolutely putrid.

WallaWallaZag
01-16-2015, 03:47 AM
Wesley stunk up the joint followed by Bell. When Pangos finally went to the line we thought it was over then he missed 2 in a row! Hopefully, Coach Few sends them all to the line tomorrow to each practice 500+ FT. That was absolutely putrid.

i really don't think a game like this has anything to do with practice...wesley had been solid ever since the zona meltdown. sabonis, bell, and melson have all struggled at the line recently, so maybe they could use some extra reps, but this was just one of those strange anomalies that happen to every team at one point or another.

RenoZag
01-16-2015, 04:57 AM
Or two points or another, Walla. Or three, etcetera.

Contagiously bad FT shooting hasn't been the norm but this anomaly is going to be in the back of our minds and in the back of the minds of the guys who whiffed. They might make 75% or better as a team on Saturday night but the next time they struggle there's going to be a nagging doubt they can snap out of it based on what happened in Malibu last night.

Beat the Lions

TexasZagFan
01-16-2015, 05:17 AM
Maybe it wouldn't hurt to shoot free throws like Hal Greer...jump shots. The Man hit over 80% during his career.

hondo
01-16-2015, 07:32 AM
"Contagiously bad FT shooting hasn't been the norm but this anomaly is going to be in the back of our minds and in the back of the minds of the guys who whiffed. They make make 75% or better as a team on Saturday night but the next time they struggle there's going to be a nagging doubt they can snap out of it based on what happened in Malibu last night."
+1
exactly.

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2015, 07:41 AM
I'm not going to read much into it. IMHO it was 10 points lost to bad FT shooting (if they shot their normal average they'd have made 24 instead of 14). Yeah, it sucks. Yeah it stressed me out at the end. But until I see a pattern of missing, game after game, then I will worry. I think CDC is right. Lets not get too concerned until we see a real pattern emerging.

CDC84
01-16-2015, 07:47 AM
A lot of folks are making a big deal of the foul shooting, but the Zags allowed Pep to shoot 63% from the field and 40% from the 3 point line in the second half. This is a Pepperdine team that ranks in the bottom half of division one in offensive efficiency. They are not a good offensive team. They are good defensive team.

That bothers me way more than the bad foul shooting, which bothers me as well, but not as much. I feel that a team that is holding teams to under 39% shooting on the year has a better chance of controlling an opposing team's mediocre offense than they have the ability to control how they shoot free throws in a hostile road gym with shooting backgrounds that have been bothering visiting teams for years.

The defensive effort simply wasn't there.

Again, I am not saying the bad foul shooting wasn't a big issue last night. Few expressed this after the game: "“We couldn’t stop them so then we had to outscore them, which doesn’t bode well for us on the road,” Zags coach Mark Few said. “But actually down the stretch we strung together three or four stops and that kept a cushion..."

gonzagafan62
01-16-2015, 07:57 AM
I'm not going to read much into it. IMHO it was 10 points lost to bad FT shooting (if they shot their normal average they'd have made 24 instead of 14). Yeah, it sucks. Yeah it stressed me out at the end. But until I see a pattern of missing, game after game, then I will worry. I think CDC is right. Lets not get too concerned until we see a real pattern emerging.

Exactly. When it mattered most, we got just enough FTs to win it. I was never worried, although I was starting to get there.

DixieZag
01-16-2015, 08:07 AM
A lot of folks are making a big deal of the foul shooting, but the Zags allowed Pep to shoot 63% from the field and 40% from the 3 point line in the second half. This is a Pepperdine team that ranks in the bottom half of division one in offensive efficiency. They are not a good offensive team. They are good defensive team.

That bothers me way more than the bad foul shooting, which bothers me as well, but not as much. I feel that a team that is holding teams to under 39% shooting on the year has a better chance of controlling an opposing team's mediocre offense than they have the ability to control how they shoot free throws in a hostile road gym with shooting backgrounds that have been bothering visiting teams for years.

The defensive effort simply wasn't there.

Again, I am not saying the bad foul shooting wasn't a big issue last night. Few expressed this after the game: "“We couldn’t stop them so then we had to outscore them, which doesn’t bode well for us on the road,” Zags coach Mark Few said. “But actually down the stretch we strung together three or four stops and that kept a cushion..."

I agree.

And this isn't an excuse, just an element of it. They were not rewarded for good defense, either. The refs were calling it very tight on our end (I'll leave it at that) and on many plays our guys got whistled even though they had good position and weren't reaching. That put us in foul trouble and that can lead to some 'Ole defense.' I can recall 3 specific plays where I felt Pepp got bailed out big time by the refs.

Regardless, you are correct even with that counted in.

CDC84
01-16-2015, 10:20 AM
Pepperdine really exposed the slowness of GU's bigs defensively, or their inexperience (in the case of Sabonis).

Zag 77
01-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Free throw shooting started at a ghastly 2 for 7 before ending on a relatively respectable 8 for 13 for the game.

zagamatic
01-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Something that I've wondered for a little while now is why doesn't the home crowd/Kennel Club try something a little different than usual during free throws? Some guys do better when it's quiet, others when it's loud and some it just doesn't matter. Take for instance Shem, perhaps having a fair amount of background noise could help his percentage from the line? I'm not talking about screaming your head off in the crowd, just a moderate amount of noise. For me, having it get super quiet made me really self conscious while having some noise helped me focus. The Kennel Club could have a couple people with cheat sheets of who wants what after they survey the team and simply hold up flash cards rated 1-3.
Conversely, for opposing teams you could get a general idea by studying percentages of home vs away for individual players. Or you could simply do something like wait til the player is in their shooting motion to yell, chop up the rhythm, etc. After all, most players get into a routine and get used to what to expect. And if you mess with that, who knows? Is there really anything to lose by trying it out?

Zag 77
01-29-2015, 08:22 PM
Against UP:

Sabonis: 7 for 7

Rest of team: 4 for 10. :confused:

WallaWallaZag
01-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Something that I've wondered for a little while now is why doesn't the home crowd/Kennel Club try something a little different than usual during free throws? Some guys do better when it's quiet, others when it's loud and some it just doesn't matter. Take for instance Shem, perhaps having a fair amount of background noise could help his percentage from the line? I'm not talking about screaming your head off in the crowd, just a moderate amount of noise. For me, having it get super quiet made me really self conscious while having some noise helped me focus. The Kennel Club could have a couple people with cheat sheets of who wants what after they survey the team and simply hold up flash cards rated 1-3.
Conversely, for opposing teams you could get a general idea by studying percentages of home vs away for individual players. Or you could simply do something like wait til the player is in their shooting motion to yell, chop up the rhythm, etc. After all, most players get into a routine and get used to what to expect. And if you mess with that, who knows? Is there really anything to lose by trying it out?

agree that totally quiet is often the most difficult...would be cool if the entire kennel could go absolutely silent for an opponent's free throw...that would probably freak them out.

Jstock12
01-30-2015, 04:52 AM
My prediction before the season:

I'm guessing Sabonis will be somewhere around 60-65%.

He averaged 58.0% in 2012-13 & 60.5% in 2013-14.

Sabonis' FTs are a pleasant surprise (70.7%). He has really improved there this season.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2015, 05:59 AM
My prediction before the season:

Sabonis' FTs are a pleasant surprise (70.7%). He has really improved there this season.

Dang Jstock, I didn't realize he's 70% although I have noticed he has been banging home a lot of FT's lately. If he continues to work on them, maybe 75-80% next year?

GrizZAG
01-30-2015, 06:29 AM
Idea: For those "quiet" moments in the kennel that is difficult and awkward....

What if the team had some practice drills where they shoot FT's with some kind of Mojo inspiring music in the background that they agree they like? Then when it comes time for those home quiet situations in the Kennel we play that music so they aren't faced with that awkward silence?? just a thought. Not sure about AD / DC, but I love that song and it would work for me. Something with a nice rhythm they feel good about that helps them zone in.

Jstock12
01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Dang Jstock, I didn't realize he's 70% although I have noticed he has been banging home a lot of FT's lately. If he continues to work on them, maybe 75-80% next year?

Going from shooting 60% one year and then 70% the next year is really something... Maybe NCAA basketballs are more comfortable than FIBA's for FT shooting?.. Or maybe Domas stopped growing and is finally getting used to shooting at a same height... Who knows, but that's a terrific improvement.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-30-2015, 05:34 PM
And hey sportsfans, he makes them at that clip with a broken finger

Zag 77
01-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Jerry Krause said that Karnowski would become a decent FT shooter by the end of the season. 9 for 12 ain't bad. However 22 for 32 by the team is mediocre. Wesley at 0-4 is cause for concern.

zagamatic
01-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Idea: For those "quiet" moments in the kennel that is difficult and awkward....

What if the team had some practice drills where they shoot FT's with some kind of Mojo inspiring music in the background that they agree they like? Then when it comes time for those home quiet situations in the Kennel we play that music so they aren't faced with that awkward silence?? just a thought. Not sure about AD / DC, but I love that song and it would work for me. Something with a nice rhythm they feel good about that helps them zone in.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I remember hearing that no music can be played via the loudspeakers during game action

Zag 77
02-12-2015, 09:46 PM
20 for 35 is fairly mediocre. GU would have scored 95 points if they had made their free throws. It did not matter tonight but there will be crucial games when it does matter.

Zag 77
02-14-2015, 09:17 PM
91.7% against Pepp (11 for 12). Maybe a season best. We outscore Pepp at the line by 7 and win the game by 8 pts. :clap:

zag67
02-15-2015, 05:11 AM
And the miss was Pangos. Which makes it even more unbelievable

maynard g krebs
02-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Still wondering what it is about this particular category that merits a special thread, as opposed to arguably more vital categories such as fg%, fg% defense, rebound margin, assist/to ratio, etc etc.

They're trying to make their ft's every game. Overall, this is an average ft shooting team. There is gonna be random, bell curve variation from game to game; avg around 70% with the distribution from high 40's to low 90's as the outliers.

Criticizing the team for the bad ft shooting games or praising them for the good ft games are equally pointless and meaningless endeavors.

Zagger
02-16-2015, 06:38 AM
:cheers::cheers:
Still wondering what it is about this particular category that merits a special thread, as opposed to arguably more vital categories such as fg%, fg% defense, rebound margin, assist/to ratio, etc etc.

They're trying to make their ft's every game. Overall, this is an average ft shooting team. There is gonna be random, bell curve variation from game to game; avg around 70% with the distribution from high 40's to low 90's as the outliers.

Criticizing the team for the bad ft shooting games or praising them for the good ft games are equally pointless and meaningless endeavors.

Got an idea. Let's combine this FT thread with the Beverage thread. We could have some fun with that (maybe have to drink a beer each time a Zag misses). :cheers:

Zag 77
02-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Still wondering what it is about this particular category that merits a special thread,

Because free throw shooting is probably the most unglamorous aspect of basketball, yet vitally important. The points are FREE all you have to do is take them. What would you rather see, a guy making a dunk or a guy making 6 free throws in a row? I maintain that free throws can cost games, especially when it comes to tournament time.

Sort of analogous to the golf adage "drive for show, but putt for dough."

Zag 77
02-19-2015, 09:38 PM
16 for 17. I like it.

RenoZag
02-19-2015, 09:42 PM

Some posters have a one track mind.

Zagger
02-20-2015, 02:37 AM
Got an idea. Let's combine this FT thread with the Beverage thread. We could have some fun with that (maybe have to drink a beer each time a Zag misses). :cheers:
Bad idea of mine. I got pretty thirsty last night!

Zag 77
02-28-2015, 10:43 PM
It cost us against BYU. Simple math. We were 14 for 21. There was one instance where Dranginis stepped into the lane way too early on the front end of a one-and one, and one other miss of the front end of a one and one. Thus, that cost us 9 points in a 3 point loss. If instead we go 18 for 23 we celebrate an undefeated league season and hold one to a possible #1 seed. Not as dramatic as dunks or 3 pointers, but damned important.

Zag 77
03-09-2015, 07:35 PM
9 for 19 against Pepperdine (47%). It did not hurt tonight, but this is probably the last time we can get away with that kind of performance.

zagamatic
03-09-2015, 08:00 PM
No offense to Karnowski, but I find it a little disturbing that I'm starting to worry less about Shem's free throws than some of the other guys.

Zag 77
03-20-2015, 09:39 PM
The Zags need to quit fooling around. 19 for 28 against NDSU is really mediocre. Some of those misses were by the better free throw shooters.

zagamatic
03-20-2015, 10:10 PM
I have been rather disturbed at how many tournament teams have starters and/or key reserves shooting BELOW 50%!
Seriously, WTH?