PDA

View Full Version : Heister--he's back

seacatfan
11-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Oh boy.

Oops, typo on his name. I can't seem to fix it now.

Unbiased
11-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Oh boy.

Oops, typo on his name. I can't seem to fix it now.

This whining is getting old.

RenoZag
11-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Dan, Greg, and Richard are much improved tonight

Radbooks
11-22-2014, 05:50 PM

+1

Corky
11-22-2014, 05:55 PM
He'll start running down Nunez's dad soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jim77
11-22-2014, 05:59 PM

+1

zag buddy
11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
No, No, No, say it isn't true.

ZAGGED OUT
11-22-2014, 06:07 PM
He's been a lot better, he's clearly on a tight leash tonight

RenoZag
11-22-2014, 06:09 PM
It's true. They appear to be more focused on the task at hand. Good for them and good for the audience.

RenoZag
11-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Heister just made a comment about Arvydas, (paraphrasing here) "I checked the tape. He was pretty good."

gonzagabasketball
11-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Heister was definitely talked to, and they are better for it as a group.

I commend him on making the adjustment.

RenoZag
11-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Heister was definitely talked to, and they are better for it as a group.

I commend him on making the adjustment.

Agreed. Better performance as a team.

I still think Birddog has nailed it many times: Three's a crowd. Two man booth would be better. If Heister is the constant then I prefer Fox to Dickau. Fox brings more to the table, IMO

gozagswoohoo
11-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Possibly Heister's best game. Not sure that he said anything that made me scratch my head this time...

Although, and maybe it was just me, when he made the 'I checked the tape' comment, it felt super awkward...haha

ZagNative
11-22-2014, 07:11 PM
He's still a loose cannon on play-by-play. Who the hell was he comparing to Casey Calvary tonight? I forget, but it made me reach for the mute button.

RenoZag
11-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Sabonis

seacatfan
11-22-2014, 07:16 PM
I didn't have the volume up very loud, but I agree tonight's broadcast was much better. They started to drift a little in the 2nd half, but that's easy to understand with the blowout and play getting fairly sloppy later in the half.

Worthington
11-22-2014, 07:19 PM
They did a really good job tonight, gotta give them their credit. They've always had the personalities to make it good, but usually just didn't stay on track. Keep it up fellas and you won't hear any complaints out of me!

maynard g krebs
11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Heister was much better than he's ever been. Tolerable tonight. Seems he's learned, which is good to see.

If it had to be one or the other, I prefer Dickau's observations to Fox's.

VinnyZag
11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
One thing bugged me. Every time a left hander shot left handed, Heister exclaimed: "With the left hand!" As if that was a source of amazement for him.

About Fox, I think he could be very good at this with experience and maybe a better crew around him. He's not a name outside Spokane, so who knows if he'll ever get a chance. But I really like what he brings to the broadcast.

Birddog
11-22-2014, 07:26 PM
I've got to give credit where credit is due.

Much improved.

snebzag
11-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Better, but will it last.........

NEC26
11-22-2014, 07:32 PM
It was definitely a much improved broadcast tonight. Which is saying a lot as it was a blowout and those are often times the worst.

katman50
11-22-2014, 07:49 PM
He wasn't all that bad tonight. Somewhat restrained. Thought all of them did a good job!

bartruff1
11-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Much better..he did a very good job on the Girls Game....he must be back on his meds....but...three is a crowd....he and Dan do not mix... the making up was annoying.

Zagregious
11-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Heister's default seems to be,"where does so and so fit in the history of Gonzaga (position) greats? I like some of what that brings, but it just constantly produces awkward conversation about how great Dickau was. Wouldn't be so weird if he wasn't sitting right there.

That being said, tonight was improved. And I definitely put myself in the "critical of" column when it comes to Heister's typical broadcast. Fox and Dickau continue to be chill and smooth. A good balance.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-22-2014, 08:05 PM
No offense, but get over it.

DixieZag
11-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Heister's default seems to be,"where does so and so fit in the history of Gonzaga (position) greats? I like some of what that brings, but it just constantly produces awkward conversation about how great Dickau was. Wouldn't be so weird if he wasn't sitting right there.

That being said, tonight was improved. And I definitely put myself in the "critical of" column when it comes to Heister's typical broadcast. Fox and Dickau continue to be chill and smooth. A good balance.

Nailed it. That is annoying - though I'll say, he was infinitely better tonight and if can build on that, he'll be in ok shape.

Instead of the "where does so and so come in. . . . " He needs to replace that sentence with "I was talking with Coach Danielson this week and he says _____ has been working to ______ and the staff is happy/frustrated/optimistic because he can _________."

Heister has access, that's his gold. Share the stuff we don't know, Greg. Forget the bs that anyone can argue over peanuts at Jack and Dan's.

bulldoginpdx
11-22-2014, 09:30 PM
I groaned hearing heisters voice to start the broadcast but have to give him credit for staying on topic and avoiding silly commentary. What made it more pleasurable is that he was able to deliver an adequate broadcast against a blowout score and a division two opponent.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

ZagsObserver
11-22-2014, 09:34 PM
I thought heister did a good job.

Liked Fox as a player but he's not my preferred pick as an announcer.

sonuvazag
11-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Nailed it. That is annoying - though I'll say, he was infinitely better tonight and if can build on that, he'll be in ok shape.

Instead of the "where does so and so come in. . . . " He needs to replace that sentence with "I was talking with Coach Danielson this week and he says _____ has been working to ______ and the staff is happy/frustrated/optimistic because he can _________."

Heister has access, that's his gold. Share the stuff we don't know, Greg. Forget the bs that anyone can argue over peanuts at Jack and Dan's.

Exactly. Spend some time picking brains before the game instead of during.

gonzagafan62
11-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Agreed. Better performance as a team.

I still think Birddog has nailed it many times: Three's a crowd. Two man booth would be better. If Heister is the constant then I prefer Fox to Dickau. Fox brings more to the table, IMO

Bingo... Def. Fox I love fox

CDC84
11-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Watched the replay. Of course he had to talk about how Arby's is "putting a lot into one of their sandwiches."

ZagsGoZags
11-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Heister has been talked to, and responded.
He didn't focus the broadcast on his personality, and I don't mind him if he will focus on the game from now on, like he did tonight.
The insights of Dan and Richard are excellent IMHO.

MickMick
11-23-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm a homer and I like Hesiter because he is the ultimate homer. I have always liked Heister.

I did cringe when he spent a little too much time trying to place Pangos in the all-time point guard pecking order and putting a legendary point guard on the spot while doing so.

Since the subject came up, I have always used Ravio as the threshold. Better than Ravio gets on GU point guard Mt. Rushmore. Less than Ravio doesn't. Ravio was damn good. I would struggle in choosing between Ravio and Pangos. Pangos is a much better ball distributer and much less turnover prone. Ravio could dribble through a minefield, was much quicker on the dribble, and much more consistent in scoring, especially on the road. I would give Ravio an edge at the free throw line but both are outstanding in that regard. Regardless, it seems to me that Ravio got to the line more often to take advantage of it. I would give Pangos a distinct edge on the defensive end, but Ravio wasn't bad at stealing the ball. I would consider Pangos to be a more cerebral player. Both are the very definition of "Gym Rat".

Neither are/were as good as a certain Australian that played in the Bay area (Delly). I guess I would lean toward putting Pangos on GU point guard Mt. Rushmore. If I were to say who isn't there, for me, I would get some very angry replies. So I won't.

jazzdelmar
11-23-2014, 03:26 AM
He was "better," which is damning with faint praise. He is just not a top notch, or even middle notch talent, but the Muzak approach is OK, just drone on. Three is definitely a crowd. Fox's voice is grating and he tends to go over and over the same point. DD's comments are in the context of someone who has been "there," and hence more valuable that Foxie's.

Yes, agree, Heister's obsession with ranking GU players is non productive but it seems the only way he can carve out something to call his own.

As for the PG pantheon, other than JS, it's only three since '99. I agree DR is the putative #4 but I think KP displaces DR this year. No way KP vaults into the pantheon. Four's a crowd, perhaps not on Rushmore but when ranking post run GU points. Don't sleep on Perkins, though.

Oregonzagnut
11-23-2014, 08:33 AM
The whole show was better. Heister did pretty good, and Dan and Richard were better because Greg was better. It's in blowouts like these, where the commentators better be good because there isn't much to talk about in the game.

bartruff1
11-23-2014, 09:02 AM
He was "better," which is damning with faint praise. He is just not a top notch, or even middle notch talent, but the Muzak approach is OK, just drone on. Three is definitely a crowd. Fox's voice is grating and he tends to go over and over the same point. DD's comments are in the context of someone who has been "there," and hence more valuable that Foxie's.

Yes, agree, Heister's obsession with ranking GU players is non productive but it seems the only way he can carve out something to call his own.

As for the PG pantheon, other than JS, it's only three since '99. I agree DR is the putative #4 but I think KP displaces DR this year. No way KP vaults into the pantheon. Four's a crowd, perhaps not on Rushmore but when ranking post run GU points. Don't sleep on Perkins, though.

Well now I am concerned...I agree with most of what you posted...

except...KP is there,.... has been on the same page with Mark since day one...

Mark almost spilled the beans on his last show...saying he would like to see his sons grow up to be like Kevin ...

The Prime Minister is the smartest, most mature guard I have seen at Gonzaga and I go back to the Judge..IMHO of course.

I am still sleeping on Jenks...I bet he is getting the " Make the simple play, the low risk pass " talk...... As Casey would say quoting Frisch ... "Oh those bases on balls"