PDA

View Full Version : It's still the offseason, so another one to fill the time.

former1dog
09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Alrighty, another one of those type of threads.

Sight unseen with this team(for most of us anyway), here are three questions:

1 - What are your minimum expectations for the team this year?

2 - What result makes this team successful, in your opinion, this year?

3 - What result, in your opinion, would make this season a failure?

Have fun.

I'll weigh in later.

ZagAddict
09-11-2007, 09:02 PM
March is the barometer for success in college basketball. Wins for GU in Nov./Dec. (early) against teams like UNC, Texas, etc. are overrated in comparison to wins in March. So here is my take on this year's expectations:

1. Sweet 16 appearance. - GU is a program that needs to take that next step and become a perrenial Round of 16 Team. This team has too much talent and way too good of a coaching staff to accept less.

2. NCAA Championship. - You have to set the goal of winning a championship if you ever want to win the championship. It's ok to think in larger terms...

3. An exit in the NCAA Round of 64 or 32. - This program needs to make a statement that GU belongs in the class of elite programs. This team has too much talent to have an early exit in the NCAA next year. An early exit in the NCAA tourney would convey an image that the program is becoming stagnant.

I really like this team and its depth this year. I keep reiterating that the depth is going to pay big dividends during the 2nd half of the year. This will not be a team that you will want to see in your bracket in March.

maineblackbear
09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
this is the year-- looking to the future demeans the present. i really believe that this year we will have the best mix of youth/experience and mad skills of any team I can think of--

Sweet 16 is a must.

Final Four would not shock me this year. (A national championship would not shock me this year--I have never even had that thought before--even the Ammo/JP year-- remember the lack of third option and the "stand around and watch Ammo play while JP does the hardwork underneath" offense?" This year we have eight guys and maybe ten (if the big fellas develop) who could and would step up..... (that is no insult to the rest of the 05-06 guys--but perhaps a reflection on team chemistry in Adams final year)

Failure in round one or two would demand accountability--as in, how could this happen?

Now, I am not crazy-- I am not demanding a NC, and am quite willing to be a satisfied Zagophile if there are good reasons for our losses.

But the sky is the limit and barring injury (self induced and otherwise) the growth potential for this team is outrageous-- and the lowest common denominator is very high. How can we not win 25 games? Seriously-- how can we not win at least two games in the NCAAs?-- [I remember the Nevada game-- but Ronny's three fouls in two minutes?--aside from the conspiratorial and accusatory thoughts that I continue to harbor about that, this year it would not be nearly as big a deal...]

maineblackbear (go ahead, ask me how Maine is gonna do this year :-)

roxdoc
09-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Expectation: 28-4 going into the dance (maybe even 29-3) Sweet Sixteen minimum, with a little luck, further.

Unsuccessful season: not winning at least two games in the dance. Fewer wins during the season would not bother me as much.

MickMick
09-12-2007, 04:52 AM
I have seen two levels of expectations here and people get them confused.

The first level is the regular season prior to the NCAA tournament. You can lump a lot of expectations here that, if realized, will not have a large impact on whether the Zags enjoy a "successful" regular season.

Who will be the "go to guy"? Who will be the ball handlers? Who will command the post? etc, etc. We will debate these until we are blue in the face, but we all expect the team to be in post season play. We all expect those questions will be answered at a level to get the team to the tournament.

Then there is the post season and this is where many of these questions need a quality answer. Not just any answer, but the correct answer. For example, when I express concern over the team's overall ball handling skills, I remain confident the team will throttle the WCC. I am concerned about crossing the barrier from sweet sixteen to something higher. That is where my expectation level is.

jpwils
09-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Losing less than 4 games in OOC games

Establishing solid 9 man rotation in OOC games

Staying injury-free in OOC

Finishing in first place in WCC

Winning WCC tourney-getting bid to Big Dance

Not just getting to Sweet sixteen but winning in Sweet Sixteen and getting to Elite Eight

Establishing multiple ways to win games, including winning thru establishing a solid big man presence and go-to players( plural)-not just relying on JH to
float outside and shoot 3's but scoring from inside from multiple guys...
Davis, Daye, Kuso, Sacre, Foster...in addition to JH establishing a solid balance in ways that he scores.

LongIslandZagFan
09-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Have fun.

I'll weigh in later.

1 - Making the NCAA tourney

2 - I'm not sure that looking at Ws and Ls is the only measure. If they continually improve over the season I'd consider it a successful year. That being said, I'd have to say at least getting to the second weekend would be a successful season... I hope for more but would be content with less so long as they played their best in round 1 or 2 and just plain got beat.

3 - Ending up in the NIT or no post season at all. Regressing in terms of ability or effort. (Won't happen so I would have to say that they really can't fail so long as they put the time and effort in).

jpwils
09-12-2007, 08:23 AM
One thing I did not address in my earlier post is this:

Continuation of drama of any kind or activities leading to suspension or law enforcement engagements will be a type of failure for this team and
all those who support or lead it.

Sounds like we are heading in a more positive direction with those types of things.

BobZag
09-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Have fun.

I'll weigh in later.

1. W-L record equal to 2001-2002 and 2003-2004 seasons and a WCC Title.
2. Elite Eight.
3. 1st Round Loss.

Nevtelen
09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
1. Making rd 2 of the Dance. Beating some big name teams in the reg season and dominating the WCC.

2. Sweet 16. Beating teams I really want them to beat, like Memphis. I really like LIZ's answer, too - this team really needs to integrate a lot of important parts into a whole, not just for this season, but for the next. I would love to see them clearly improve on a continuous basis as a unit.

3. Flaming out in the 1st round of the NCAAs. Maybe more importantly - not improving as a team: just dominating less skilled/athletic/deep opponents without learning anything.

My ultimate nightmare for this season: we flame out in the first round without having really come together as a unit all season and then Josh and Pargo leave to get drafted. And the perimiter D is still bad.

My (reasonable) dream season: Elite 8, if it all comes together. Everyone stays and really becomes a cohesive group. The D gets tougher.

chirguy
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
My expectation are the sweet 16, my hopes are for more. Two things are need in my estimation 1. Defence and 2. Low block scoring.

a13coach
09-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Blowing teams out by keeping on the throttle.

Making the 2nd round+ of the NCAA tourney.

First round loss.

roxdoc
09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Good point (I wish I would have thought of it for my post) by Nevtelen on improvement. This is something we did not see last year prior to the "incident". Logic would tell us that with so many young, untested players we should see improvement. Chemistry is a key part of this.

I also like the above mention of "killer instinct" - something we have lacked for years, if we ever had it!

former1dog
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM

Make the NCAA tournament.

Elite 8, IMO, would make this a very successful season.

Not making the NCAA tournament.

deathchina
09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
My ultimate goal for the zags will continue to be making the Final 4 every season until it happens.

Bocco
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM

1) Win the WCC regular season, WCC tournament, and make the NCAA Tournaments.

2) Playing the second weekend in the NCAA Tournament.

3) Not to make it to the NCAA Tournament.

That being said those are my expectations every year, however it appears to be about time to move the expectations for #2 up a little to playing in in the third weekend of the NCAA Tournament.