PDA

View Full Version : Fraschilla tweet about Silas

jchocolate99
11-20-2014, 02:24 AM
Did anyone else catch this tweet by Fraschilla about Melson? Pretty interesting since I can't remember Few ever mentioning a players NBA potential when it's been this early in their career

http://s16.postimg.org/wfc3ys7wx/silas.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/wfc3ys7wx/)

basketballzag
11-20-2014, 04:14 AM
Did anyone else catch this tweet by Fraschilla about Melson? Pretty interesting since I can't remember Few ever mentioning a players NBA potential when it's been this early in their career

http://s16.postimg.org/wfc3ys7wx/silas.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/wfc3ys7wx/)

Told you guys! He will be a one and done IMHO

jazzdelmar
11-20-2014, 04:16 AM

BBZ, if true then redshirting is a huge mistake, IMO. Huge. And why then didn't my old playground BB pal from Brooklyn put that question to Few?

LongIslandZagFan
11-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Prospect is the key word. In other words he can grow into that.

Few rarely heaps praise like that. Sounds like Few is already salivating about a Perkins/Melson backcourt.

bartruff1
11-20-2014, 04:49 AM
Eric McClellan .... We haven't seen him yet...Few has...

bigblahla
11-20-2014, 05:24 AM

Another one and done.....hmmmmm...why did Melson come to Gonzaga? It wasn't to be one and done......it was to learn to be a better point guard so he could go to the next level.....

Melson is not a one and done....

Go!! Zags!!!

Goshzagit
11-20-2014, 05:32 AM
He may end up playing this season.

All depends on how GBJ's knee holds up. Not the type of season to play 50% all year long.

Last night Gary injured the SAME knee he had surgery and rehabbed this past off-season. The same knee he's been forced to play through pain.

Gary hurt his leg when he was turned around suddenly while dribbling the ball across half-court, a St Joe's player came from behind. It was immediately after, the look on his face and Coach Few's face said it all.

Hope he's OK, yet Silas may be called into action before long. . .and it'd be unfortunate at the expense of Gary's health or lack thereof in recent seasons.

thespywhozaggedme
11-20-2014, 07:09 AM
A re you confusing Melson with Perk? melson is a sg.
Another one and done.....hmmmmm...why did Melson come to Gonzaga? It wasn't to be one and done......it was to learn to be a better point guard so he could go to the next level.....
Melson is not a one and done....

Go!! Zags!!!

scott257
11-20-2014, 07:14 AM
I think that ended up not being anything to worry about based on the media reports and quotes from Gary Bell. I know we will all be holding our breath on Gary all season long because he has had such a rough time with injuries but thankfully it sounded to me like the bump last night was just that and not anything to cause concern.

bigblahla
11-20-2014, 07:47 AM
A re you confusing Melson with Perk? melson is a sg.

No.....Melson asked coach Few if he thought he could play point at the next level....in one of the many articles written in the pre-season during his recruitment....direct question and answered....yes...

The quote below is not the one I was thinking of but from an ESPN insider article upon Melson's commitment to GU. This is his mindset

"I can shoot, score and defend the ball. I am working on making the move to the 1 but need to keep working on my point guard skills," he said.

And this from the link below...

"I thought they had the best fit for me as a guard," [Melson] says. "Plus, they have great academics, and I plan on sticking around for all four years and getting my degree."

http://www.wpxi.com/feed/sports/college/get-used-to-being-excited-about-silas-melson-for-a/fcBMC/

Go!! Zags!!!

Zag79
11-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Beast. No matter how long he stays, Gonzaga will enjoy it all the same.

Idahomie
11-21-2014, 12:29 AM

Kind of impossible for him to be a one and done if he's redshirting this year. At the minimum that puts him two years at Gonzaga.

ZagsGoZags
11-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Melson and Josh will give us top replacement for our guards next year.
If Karnage and Domas stay we are set. If either, or both go to NBA draft, uhh
that is hard to replace even with Wiltjer staying on

bigblahla
11-21-2014, 04:06 AM
Melson and Josh will give us top replacement for our guards next year.
If Karnage and Domas stay we are set. If either, or both go to NBA draft, uhh
that is hard to replace even with Wiltjer staying on

More speculation on Domas leaving....it isn't happening.....isn't even under discussion......might as well say if the earth explodes it will be a down season at Gonzaga in 15-16....nothing positive about hand wringing....it happens every time players step up and do what they are supposed to do...they're leaving.....what will we do......they're leaving.....

Give coach and staff some credit because they have the program situated in a position like never before....we are red-shirting possibly our best offensive player in Melson, a 7'1" coordinated big man who wants to be the best he can be and a 6'5" PG/CB guard who can do what he wants with a basketball....

The future has never been brighter...walk out of the shadow of doubt and try enjoying the sunlight of success and opportunity.....

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
11-21-2014, 06:19 AM
More speculation on Domas leaving....it isn't happening.....isn't even under discussion......might as well say if the earth explodes it will be a down season at Gonzaga in 15-16....nothing positive about hand wringing....it happens every time players step up and do what they are supposed to do...they're leaving.....what will we do......they're leaving.....

Give coach and staff some credit because they have the program situated in a position like never before....we are red-shirting possibly our best offensive player in Melson, a 7'1" coordinated big man who wants to be the best he can be and a 6'5" PG/CB guard who can do what he wants with a basketball....

The future has never been brighter...walk out of the shadow of doubt and try enjoying the sunlight of success and opportunity.....

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

I can't think of a worse time for the world to explode than anytime this year or next. I will be really upset if that happens.

bigblahla
11-21-2014, 07:50 AM
I can't think of a worse time for the world to explode than anytime this year or next. I will be really upset if that happens.

Now that's funny.....cracked me up Dixie...

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
11-21-2014, 07:56 AM

Good. With that info I'm going to march right up to my wife & tell her there is now no reason for me to do all those things on her "Honeydew" list!!

IowaSERE
11-21-2014, 07:58 AM
Redshirting a potential NBA player is a bad decision IMO. Everyone likes to talk about KO and how much it helped him. I sure wish that we had KO on the court his RS year and not wearing a bow tie on the bench. We got 4 years from KO, one of them was spent on the bench anyways. He could have contributed and would have made GU a better team that year and who knows what could have happened in the tournament.

I get RSing a guy like Edwards who has a very limited background, will be here for 5 years etc. I still think its a mistake though as once we get to the tournament, and face some real teams again, his 5 fouls could be very important. Karno would be lucky to see 20 min if we play UK in the FF.

I sure hope that Silas is on campus for 5 years or this was a very big mistake.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Redshirting a potential NBA player is a bad decision IMO. Everyone likes to talk about KO and how much it helped him. I sure wish that we had KO on the court his RS year and not wearing a bow tie on the bench. We got 4 years from KO, one of them was spent on the bench anyways. He could have contributed and would have made GU a better team that year and who knows what could have happened in the tournament.

I get RSing a guy like Edwards who has a very limited background, will be here for 5 years etc. I still think its a mistake though as once we get to the tournament, and face some real teams again, his 5 fouls could be very important. Karno would be lucky to see 20 min if we play UK in the FF.

Plus plus.....

cjm720
11-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Burning a year for 5 fouls...I personally don't like that option and would hate it as a player.

To suggest KO's redshirt year was a mistake is funny...he was a first team all-American and led us to the #1 ranking. Seems like it worked out...sure he might have helped in the tourney during his burn year, but maybe not. I'm thrilled he chose to stay at Gonzaga, work on his frame and interior moves, to come out and dazzle the nation, and be a first round draft pick that is doing very well in the NBA. All and all, it's a win win for KO and Gonzaga.

(Also, I would guess Wiljter would not be here, and likely others, had KO not transformed his body and helped us get the #1 ranking).

As far as Silas goes, who's he going to beat out? Where's his playing time going to come from. I'm certain coaches will be sure not to recruit over him so he will get plenty of run in the future. #gozags #trendingup

IowaSERE
11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Burning a year for 5 fouls...I personally don't like that option and would hate it as a player.

To suggest KO's redshirt year was a mistake is funny...he was a first team all-American and led us to the #1 ranking. Seems like it worked out...sure he might have helped in the tourney during his burn year, but maybe not. I'm thrilled he chose to stay at Gonzaga, work on his frame and interior moves, to come out and dazzle the nation, and be a first round draft pick that is doing very well in the NBA. All and all, it's a win win for KO and Gonzaga.

(Also, I would guess Wiljter would not be here, and likely others, had KO not transformed his body and helped us get the #1 ranking).

As far as Silas goes, who's he going to beat out? Where's his playing time going to come from. I'm certain coaches will be sure not to recruit over him so he will get plenty of run in the future. #gozags #trendingup

What's to say the Kelly wouldn't have done that anyways? I'd personally rather have a player getting gametime experience, helping the team, and working their butts off in the gym that a player who works their butts off in the gym, gets no gametime experience, and does nothing to improve the team.

Imagine if KO played his RS year and was 80% of what he was after he RS'd. Would we have beated Illinois that year? Maybe Michigan State? Win the WCC Championship? Better seed in the tourny? Beat Ohio State? We'll never know.

Kelly didn't need a RS year, he needed an extra year. He grew into his body. He bulked up. He matured. I would have taken 80% as a Jr rather than nothing on the bench, and then 99% of what he was as a SR instead of RS Jr who leaves early.

LongIslandZagFan
11-21-2014, 08:35 AM
What's to say the Kelly wouldn't have done that anyways? I'd personally rather have a player getting gametime experience, helping the team, and working their butts off in the gym that a player who works their butts off in the gym, gets no gametime experience, and does nothing to improve the team.

Imagine if KO played his RS year and was 80% of what he was after he RS'd. Would we have beated Illinois that year? Maybe Michigan State? Win the WCC Championship? Better seed in the tourny? Beat Ohio State? We'll never know.

Kelly didn't need a RS year, he needed an extra year. He grew into his body. He bulked up. He matured. I would have taken 80% as a Jr rather than nothing on the bench, and then 99% of what he was as a SR instead of RS Jr who leaves early.

There were two options with Kelly. He was thinking about leaving but loved GU. Credit the staff into convincing him to transfer to GU and take that year off. He wanted PT... he knew he wasn't going to get as much as he wanted and the clock was ticking.

The results shows it paid off.

gonzagafan62
11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

Ok, just chiming in here. Year before Kellys redshirt: All he did was foul. He would come in shoot a couple jumpers, and foul guys within two minutes and go back to the bench. I really didn't like him much before he redshirted.

The reason why the redshirt helped so much is because it opens a players eyes in a large way knowing that they have to get better or they will not see much time on the floor. Kelly had to work not only on not foulng, but his footwork, posting up and taking advantage of the smaller defenders in the paint. He was such a raw talent, that game time would not have helped him much at all. You can argue all you want, but IMHO, you REALLY wake a kid up and have them listen to you when they miss a season and are told that they have to improve "this, this this and this"

Kelly worked harder than he would have on his game in the gym and in practice. More time to work out, more time to spend with the coaches, it just seems that players strive and work harder when they have to go a year of basketball without playing. He knew what it would take to be a starter. He completed it. The hard work paid off, and now he is in the NBA.

cjm720
11-21-2014, 08:49 AM

A lot of assumptions. What is fact is KO worked very hard and Travis Knight helped him reshape his body. It resulted in him leading his team to our best ranking ever and an NBA first round selection. Both help our program. If he chose not to redshirt, he wouldn't have gotten as many minutes...I will admit that he likely would have helped us and maybe win another game or two but who knows. What I do suspect is that KO made the best yet most difficult decision of his life and it paid off big time for him and the program.

Mr Vulture
11-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Guys...R-E-L-A-X! We are not losing Sabonis to the NBA after this year and Melson isn't going to play next year and go to the NBA...good lord... These guys have huge upside and they maybe are going to be NBA players but they are not one and done types. As I've posted in the past, Sabonis came to Gonzaga to go to college and doesn't need money. He could have stayed in Spain if it was about money. I wouldn't expect him to leave until he has a degree which would be after his 3rd year.

In regards to Melson, can we give it a rest yet? They guy is redshirting because of the depth on this years team, not because he isn't talented. With that said, if he was a guy who is ready for the NBA there is no way a redshirt would have happened. He will be here at least 3 years and not burning a years eligibility for 5 minutes of playing time is the right move.

I love this team and these guys are the most talented we've had as a whole but let's get some perspective and R-E-L-A-X! :cheers:

zagfan24
11-21-2014, 09:31 AM
The way I see it, RS'ing Melson likely makes it emotionally easier to sit on the bench than if he were hoping to get in each and every game, only to be left out of the rotation due to incredible depth and the presence of two senior guards. If I recall correctly, Few and co. always leave the redshirt decision up to the player. I credit Silas for his emotional maturity in making what was surely a difficult decision. I really don't think that 4-5 minutes max per game would do anything to drastically alter his trajectory. I also think it's worth noting that whether it's Silas, Kelly, or anybody else; the intensity with which you can train during a redshirt season is incredibly different than if you are playing even a little bit.

zag buddy
11-21-2014, 10:01 AM
What amazes me is not the team effort by the players but how did Kevin get his body "ripped" in a year? He went from an average body to a weight lifters body since last year. Hopefully credit knight.

seacatfan
11-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Can't prove it one way or the other, but I have a hard time believing KO would've turned out the way he did without the RS year. He was a COMPLETELY different player after the RS. Worked on coordination, reaction time, some totally out of the box training that Knight devised. I don't think that would've happened during a normal season if he was playing in games.

Melson...I thought the one and done hype would die down with the RS. I guess not. Perkins and Sabonis both look really good so far, maybe the hype about Melson isn't just hyperbole and he really is that good. I'll reserve judgement til I see him play. This year should be a great ride, I'll enjoy it. The future should be bright with the young guys that have entered the program.

seacatfan
11-21-2014, 10:06 AM
What amazes me is not the team effort by the players but how did Kevin get his body "ripped" in a year? He went from an average body to a weight lifters body since last year. Hopefully credit knight.

Pangos looked fairly buff last year too. Between him and Gary the Zags have a stout pair of starting guards.

gonzagafan62
11-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Guys...R-E-L-A-X! We are not losing Sabonis to the NBA after this year and Melson isn't going to play next year and go to the NBA...good lord... These guys have huge upside and they maybe are going to be NBA players but they are not one and done types. As I've posted in the past, Sabonis came to Gonzaga to go to college and doesn't need money. He could have stayed in Spain if it was about money. I wouldn't expect him to leave until he has a degree which would be after his 3rd year.

In regards to Melson, can we give it a rest yet? They guy is redshirting because of the depth on this years team, not because he isn't talented. With that said, if he was a guy who is ready for the NBA there is no way a redshirt would have happened. He will be here at least 3 years and not burning a years eligibility for 5 minutes of playing time is the right move.

I love this team and these guys are the most talented we've had as a whole but let's get some perspective and R-E-L-A-X! :cheers:

Hello Mr. Aaron Rodgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvz2OJw9wyY

Couldn't find the video of him actually saying it, but you get the jist

EEzag
11-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Hello Mr. Aaron Rodgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvz2OJw9wyY

Couldn't find the video of him actually saying it, but you get the jist

Ulimately, Melson felt he wasn't going to get the minutes.....period. He sees what we all do...... lots of talent and depth. EM crowds the pool even more. What's suprising is (and I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr Melson) he is supremely confident in his skills and is STILL rs'ing. That speaks to a sense of maturity that very rare for a kid his age. You can't predict injuries, only make the best adjustment you can when they happen. To deny or pull a RS in anticipation of an injury is never a good idea.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2014, 10:39 AM
One of the biggest shock so I got last night was to learn that Tyler Ennis is playing in the NBA development league. So while we busy anointing one and done let's keep in mind the jump to the NBA is huge

gonzagafan62
11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
One of the biggest shock so I got last night was to learn that Tyler Ennis is playing in the NBA development league. So while we busy anointing one and done let's keep in mind the jump to the NBA is huge

+1

bartruff1
11-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Trust in Few...I always dew...

ZaGranny
11-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Not sure you can say he did nothing to help the team during his R/S year. I recall the coaches saying several times during that year that he was the best player at practice--thus making the other players better.

ZaGranny

Zagceo
11-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Agree but I always knew John Stockton would make it in the NBA and set a record that will probably never be broken! ;) sarcasm

DixieZag
11-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Exactly.

Moreover, the comment that he might be the best "NBA prospect" means nothing about his first two or three years. I remember hearing some analyst say that Ronny was the best NBA prospect that Gonzaga had ever had, this was during Ronny's first year. I remember thinking, "huh? He's not even starting." But it's projecting development outward, not what he could do this, next, or even two years. I suspect Few meant after 3 or four years of development.

maynard g krebs
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM

On KO, nobody in the world expected the kind of leap he made in that off year. You have to work with the best projections you can make at the time, which is that KO would play his sr year. And based on his soph year, he probably projected as a backup again at the time the rs decision was made.

As to Melson, it looks like the decision was made because he's now third in line at the 2, behind Bell, and then Pangos when Perkins comes in at the 1. So barring injury he'd see such limited minutes this year that a case can be made that not much is lost if he does leave early.

Bottom line is that Pangos can play the 2, and there's basically a 3 man rotation at the 1-2 with Pangos, Bell, Perkins. Not to mention reports on McClellan. So he gets garbage minutes this year, if nobody gets hurt. And if somebody does get hurt seriously, they can pull the rs.

And if he doesn't develop as some are projecting, it keeps the 5th yr option open at very little cost given this year's roster.

maynard g krebs
11-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Exactly.

Moreover, the comment that he might be the best "NBA prospect" means nothing about his first two or three years. I remember hearing some analyst say that Ronny was the best NBA prospect that Gonzaga had ever had, this was during Ronny's first year. I remember thinking, "huh? He's not even starting." But it's projecting development outward, not what he could do this, next, or even two years. I suspect Few meant after 3 or four years of development.

Very well said imo. As CDC said in another thread, not one recruiting analyst had Melson in the top 100, but he was underrated.

BBZ's words aren't to be taken lightly, but I also remember a professional talent evaluator saying Brett Kingma would develop into the next Luke Ridnour at Oregon. So I don't discount it, but also take it as a "best guess" kind of thing.

zagamatic
11-21-2014, 01:42 PM
As I recall, one of the biggest reasons Kelly redshirted is basically the same reason that Melson is doing it this year, there was a logjam for playing time at his position. Although I'll admit right now I can't come up with that years roster off the top of my head, I believe it included Sacre, Harris and Dower etc. Now I don't have enough time watching Silas to make a judgment of how good he is, but I can say with certainty that it was absolutely the right thing for Kelly to take the year away from games because you just simply cannot put in the kind of effort he did AND play in the games WITHOUT getting hurt. That's just a tremendous amount of bodily stress. I mean, when you bulk up a 7 foot frame enough during the course of one season that you can see a dramatic difference in his face, that's putting in the hours!

DixieZag
11-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Good. With that info I'm going to march right up to my wife & tell her there is now no reason for me to do all those things on her "Honeydew" list!!

Ok. But I just wanna' make sure that you did note that I didn't actually predict the world will explode in the next year or two. I did predict that if it happened I would be so super pissed upon hearing about it.

UberZagFan
11-21-2014, 03:13 PM

If he's not here 5 years, is it a mistake for him or for the program? If he played this year and only saw the court for under 10 minutes a game, played next year and then left, would that be a mistake? Just confused on who's making the mistake here. It was his decision.

And the fact that he took a redshirt makes it more likely he will be willing to stay after next year (assuming all the hype is true and he actually has options).

IowaSERE
11-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Players can make great improvements from 1 year to the next while getting limited minuts, learning the system, working hard, and getting a year older. Just ask Nunez.

Angelo Roncalli
11-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Players can make great improvements from 1 year to the next while getting limited minuts, learning the system, working hard, and getting a year older. Just ask Nunez.

Ask Nunez. He'll tell you he redshirted.

VaBeachZAG
11-21-2014, 03:29 PM

I can't begin to express how much I agree with the above comment!!! The speculation on one-and-done NBA bound Zags seems to me to be such a waste of time. Before PK even played his first game, the one-and-done crowd was clamoring he would be NBA bound after just one season. Didn't happen with PK and simple common sense says it won't happen with DS or SM. Of course, all it will take is just one internet comment or tweet for the speculation to start all over again, oh well.

IowaSERE
11-21-2014, 03:30 PM
He sure did, and then came back from his RS and looked lost and out of place. Then he played limited minutes, worked hard, worked on his game, and then came back the next year as a totally different player.

Angelo Roncalli
11-21-2014, 03:38 PM
He sure did, and then came back from his RS and looked lost and out of place. Then he played limited minutes, worked hard, worked on his game, and then came back the next year as a totally different player.

Then consider Jeremy Eaton. He played his junior season, saw the logjam with Bakari Hendrix, Casey Calvary, etc., took a redshirt after his junior year, then was a key component of a team that went to the Elite 8.

DixieZag
11-21-2014, 03:40 PM

I think it is much harder to come back in the middle of the season than starting out the year in some sort of rotation.

We should all keep in mind that if there is an injury to one of the under 6'5 guys, that shirt will be ripped, so it is not like he is just totally unavailable this year.

IowaSERE
11-21-2014, 03:49 PM
I think it is much harder to come back in the middle of the season than starting out the year in some sort of rotation.

We should all keep in mind that if there is an injury to one of the under 6'5 guys, that shirt will be ripped, so it is not like he is just totally unavailable this year.

Hopefully that injury isn't right before the 2nd half of the NCAA tourny game against this years Wichita State University.

DixieZag
11-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Hopefully that injury isn't right before the 2nd half of the NCAA tourny game against this years Wichita State University.

Well, that's certainly a valid point. :)

Yes, hopefully that does not happen. Although, in the right situation, perhaps it would be worth it? If they go on to win the national championship it would be worth it. I'd be ok if they had to put Morrison back in a uniform. USC showed us that "how" you get there only matters five years later. And, as we've discussed above, the world may explode in the interim.

jazzdelmar
11-21-2014, 04:02 PM
basketball zag, who is as much an expert as this board represents, says melson is a one and done....good enough for me

Vanzagger
11-21-2014, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;1049420]On KO, nobody in the world expected the kind of leap he made in that off year. You have to work with the best projections you can make at the time, which is that KO would play his sr year. And based on his soph year, he probably projected as a backup again at the time the rs decision was made.

When they officially announced KO's redshirt I said he would be starting for most top 20 teams. Was that you Krebs who dared me to name 1? Ok say something clever about R. Wilson winning a Super Bowl. As happy as I am, I would think he would win at least one since he's been playing on the best team, with the best D, and handing off to the best running back the last 3 years. I got to admit I am still a little surprised. I will call it the 12th Man factor. and the OC's commitment to the run. and Cheat Carroll does deserve some credit for building that Nasty D.....LOB.

We have 4 straight round of 64 wins. Spin it any way you want.

PS....I am fine with Melson's year off. He will have a chance to play a ton for a top 10 (talent wise) team next year.

DixieZag
11-21-2014, 05:00 PM
basketball zag, who is as much an expert as this board represents, says melson is a one and done....good enough for me

Seriously?

If he is that good, that he could be in the NBA next year, I just have to believe he'd be like Sabonis and it would be Perkins sitting through the red-shirt. BBZ may be the best BB mind on the board, certainly better than me, but from the outside, the context doesn't add up.

Sabonis is getting oodles of time even though we have a four who is a fourth year player and former McD's guy and KP who is 7'1 and a defensive beast. It would seem that Melson would be the first guard off the bench for any of KP, GBJ and BW?

And, not saying I know - just pointing out what I see. Plus, Silas agreed to it. It's always his choice.

sittingon50
11-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Ok. But I just wanna' make sure that you did note that I didn't actually predict the world will explode in the next year or two. I did predict that if it happened I would be so super pissed upon hearing about it.

Details, schmetails!

Birddog
11-21-2014, 07:10 PM
My Dad can beat up your Dad!

Reborn
11-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Seriously?

If he is that good, that he could be in the NBA next year, I just have to believe he'd be like Sabonis and it would be Perkins sitting through the red-shirt. BBZ may be the best BB mind on the board, certainly better than me, but from the outside, the context doesn't add up.

Sabonis is getting oodles of time even though we have a four who is a fourth year player and former McD's guy and KP who is 7'1 and a defensive beast. It would seem that Melson would be the first guard off the bench for any of KP, GBJ and BW?

And, not saying I know - just pointing out what I see. Plus, Silas agreed to it. It's always his choice.

A few things about why Perkins did not redshirt. First, Few needs a backup point guard, and it's Perkins not Melson. Melson is a shooting guard. Second, maybe one of the conditions for Perkins to commit to GU was that he would be the backup point guard and get considerable playing time. Afterall, Perkins was recruiting by some of the best colleges in America. Perkins has showed that he is a highly skilled point guard. My question is, who will be the back up point guard for Perkins next year?

SteelZag
11-21-2014, 08:01 PM
For next year McClellan will be available. Also, I thought I read where Melson thinks his best chance to play in the NBA would be as a PG. Alberts has some talent also and can play PG.

Zagceo
11-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Explains why it was the hardest Redshirt decision ever for Few! Can't win'm all or……….. can you?

WallaWallaZag
11-21-2014, 11:11 PM

kelly himself has said that he wouldn't have been able to make the same type of jump had he not redshirted and played instead...nunez is a completely different case as the physical tools have always been there - he needed/needs playing time and experience due to the lack thereof. kelly needed to change his whole body, game, and mindset.

as for melson, if the redshirt year allows him to grow an extra inch, put on 10 pounds of muscle, or up his vertical another couple of inches, it will have been worth it...as someone else mentioned, at this level there IS a significant difference between not playing at all and playing, even if it's only 5-10 minutes a game. some don't seem to get that...

TexasZagFan
11-22-2014, 05:32 AM

The jump from college to any professional sport is huge. I was at GU the same time Lenn Sakata was playing. The dud was an absolute stud, and was a dominant player. He went on to have a decent career in the majors, and was the last man to play shortstop before Cal Ripken started his consecutive games streak. It took him a few years to land in the majors IIRC.

TexasZagFan
11-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Silas could be another Steven Gray: loses his fire for basketball, gets involved in theatre, gets all tatted up, that kind of thing...

:drool:

Seriously, sounds like the young man has his head screwed on straight, looking to earn his degree, etc.

Reborn
11-22-2014, 06:35 AM
For next year McClellan will be available. Also, I thought I read where Melson thinks his best chance to play in the NBA would be as a PG. Alberts has some talent also and can play PG.

Thanks. I must have missed that post. It sounds good though.

I would also like to respond to the post that is talking about how a red-shirt year can hurt a player because they're not playing. That's just simply inaccurate. A red-shirt player is playing almost every day at practice, and when we're talking about a practice at GU we're talking about a very high level of play. He's learning from some of the best. What else could someone want. Look at Dan Dickau who transferred to GU from the U W and had to sit out a year. Did that hurt him? He was NOT doing well at the U and look at what that one year sitting out at Gonzaga did for HIM? And then there is Micah Downs. Another good case. I think David Stockton sat out a year too. I'm sure there's other example's. And yes, Kelly O is certainly in the group of red-shirts.

I also believe in one other point, and that is that some players do not want to sit on the bench and play 7 min a game. He might see that as a waste of time, contrary to what the poster is indicating. I really can't see too many players, who are as good as Melson, want to play 7 min a game. I KNOW that I would not have enjoyed that at all.

Go Zags!!!

Bkzag
11-22-2014, 06:38 AM

50 you do know that Honeydews are seasonal...that's what I tell my wife...Mid April to mid August...

Reborn
11-22-2014, 06:46 AM
I believe that I was the first one to say that Melson was a one-and-done player on this forum. I wrote that I had heard that from a good friend of mine, who I believe knows a lot about basketball talent, who had seen him play. No one on the board believed me, and laughed at such a statement. I believe that Melson is that good, but I hope he doesn't go pro after one year. I hope we get to see him for at least two and hopefully three. In actual fact he may not truly be a one-and-done type of player. I think that sometimes we use that kind of description to just say that we think he's good enough to make the pros, that he's that impressive.

It's obvious why he is red shirting to me. He has two great guys playing in front of him. Pangos and Bell exemplify everything there is about what it is to be a Zag. And when they are healthy the are pretty dang awesome. We've seen that. If either of them get hurt, we could see Melson give up that red-shirt in order to play. And if that does happen I think we will see that happen. WE must remember that he is playing every day in practice and learning all the plays; so if that did happen he would be ready.

Go Zags!!!

webspinnre
11-22-2014, 07:51 AM
50 you do know that Honeydews are seasonal...that's what I tell my wife...Mid April to mid August...

and how's that working out for you? :roll:

gonzagabasketball
11-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Am I the only one who is confused by others confusion over what "one and done" means?

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-22-2014, 09:42 AM

For some reason I am completely annoyed by the length of this thread now. The topic has been exhausted, imho.