PDA

View Full Version : Perkins

hooter73
11-19-2014, 09:59 PM
So I freely admit I had never quite bought into the hype, well now I see that he was and is ready to play top 25... top 10, D1 Ball. Still young and inexperienced, pushing and forcing sometimes, but the kid can play. Plus like I said in the game thread, he just looks like hes having the time of his life.

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/R-Z3UvwU0VrlKhgLWaOF89omxeo=/40x0:441x267/400x267/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/44192030/zaga.0.0.gif --- cant get it to imbed

U Zig, I Zag
11-19-2014, 10:02 PM
I like him a lot. Type of fast, razzle-dazzle guy that a lot of great blue bloods have.

thespywhozaggedme
11-19-2014, 10:06 PM
A magician with the ball, and a much butter shooter than I expected.

RenoZag
11-19-2014, 10:20 PM

He certainly contributed to the margarine of victory. . .:cheers:

former1dog
11-19-2014, 10:23 PM

he shoots, he scores!

He'll be here all week folks, please tip your waiter.

exclusivelee
11-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Perkins certainly showed some strong drives & finishes at the hoop tonight. Been seeing how well he can change speeds, handles the ball & dribbles with grace... and those no-look passes are a thing of beauty

We'll be just fine next year with Perkins as the starting floor general

Mantua
11-19-2014, 10:28 PM
The entire freshman class is a gift. Perkins and Sabonis can play anybody.

Ekrub
11-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Excellent reno

Section 116
11-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Santangelo said Perkins sees the floor really well. It's not just setting up someone for a bucket, it's the way he breaks the press, over the top with great passes, and the way he hits the guy who hits the guy who does the scoring. And a personal observation, I'm looking forward to watching the replay, it looked like two of Perkins drives to the bucket were ankle breakers. I'm looking forward to seeing that again.

Zags11
11-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Very fun to watch.

ZagaZags
11-19-2014, 10:39 PM

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?50390-Zags-photo-thread/page11

CDC84
11-19-2014, 10:48 PM
He's regaining his confidence after the coach at Huntington Prep nearly destroyed it. As Jerry Krause said, he should've never left Colorado.

Hoopaholic
11-19-2014, 10:52 PM
He's regaining his confidence after the coach at Huntington Prep nearly destroyed it. As Jerry Krause said, he should've never left Colorado.

Yep each game you can see less and less of some poor habits spacing, picking up dribble, standing on o and defensive spacing and help each getting better

zagamatic
11-20-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm re-watching the St Joe's game right now and at the 11:40 mark in the second half as it's going to a media timeout Perkins is chatting with one of the ref's. It's a subtle thing, but he says something to the ref that got the ref to give him a quick high 5 as he heads to the bench. Again, it's a subtle thing, but he appears to understand that good things are more likely to happen if you have the respect of the officials. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

SLOZag
11-20-2014, 02:07 AM
I'm re-watching the St Joe's game right now and at the 11:40 mark in the second half as it's going to a media timeout Perkins is chatting with one of the ref's. It's a subtle thing, but he says something to the ref that got the ref to give him a quick high 5 as he heads to the bench. Again, it's a subtle thing, but he appears to understand that good things are more likely to happen if you have the respect of the officials. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Here it is: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/11/20/7253081/gonzaga-gets-a-ref-high-five

ZagaZags
11-20-2014, 02:21 AM
Or you could see it here at...
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?50390-Zags-photo-thread/page16

bartruff1
11-20-2014, 05:55 AM
he shoots, he scores!

He'll be here all week folks, please tip your waiter.

Hilarious ...coffee on keyboard

Reborn
11-20-2014, 06:08 AM
What a like about Perkins is that he's UNDER RATED. And he chose to go to a team that is UNDER RATED. That is so cool. He is at the perfect school for someone like him, and I hope that other young high school players in the U.S.A. are watching him. He had the courage to come and not be a ONE AND DONE ER. He came to learn, I think, from Few and Pangos and Bell. Imagine what we'll see later on in the season and next year. Like I've been hearing TV announcers saying, it makes more sense to spend two years in college then just one because most one and done ers will just sit on the bench their first year or two in the pros. LIke Santangelo said, he sees the court so well. For years we have seen great guards break the press by their dribbling skills. And now here is Perkins who chooses to break it with his passing. 3/4 length passing. He passes OVER the press and I've never seen anyone do that. Not just once. I mean over and over and over, and GU is shooting layups at the other end.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Here it is: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/11/20/7253081/gonzaga-gets-a-ref-high-five

hahahahaha...I just read this thread and posted it somewhere else about the high-five.!!! Thanks for the vid clip!!!!!!!

thespywhozaggedme
11-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Ha! Posting at 1am from my bed on my iphone made me too lazy to correct the autocorrect that lead to your brilliant pun. Good job!

MileHigh
11-20-2014, 09:27 AM
As you might be able to tell from my screen name, I am from Denver and I am very close with Josh. He is thrilled with Gonzaga, his teammates, the coaching staff, and everything else about Gonzaga.

One thing I wanted to correct about his lack of scoring at HPrep. Iit wasn't the coaching staff, but his teammates that limited his offense. There were a couple of guys on that team that were trying to impress the National scouts, so once they touched the ball it was up, and Josh wouldn't touch the ball again until the next possession when he would pass to the wing and watch another quick shot go up. But overall, going to Hprep was the best thing Josh ever did. It exposed him to a much tougher, more physical brand of ball than we get in Colorado and better readied him for d1 basketabll

Zagdawg
11-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Agree-- it was to his benefit to go to HPrep -- and now the Zags are benefiting from his experience.

Great to have him as part of the Zag family.

Go Zags

cjm720
11-20-2014, 09:34 AM
His leadership really stands out. Running over to help a teammate up or talking to set up a play. His play speaks for itself. A dazzling young man...love him.

FuManShoes
11-20-2014, 09:47 AM
His leadership really stands out. Running over to help a teammate up or talking to set up a play. His play speaks for itself. A dazzling young man...love him.

I've noticed the same. He seems really mature, confident and positive for a true frosh surrounded by pretty damn good players. The offense seems to flow quite well with him in there. He's made some freshman mistakes - trying to thread the needle or delivering the ball too low to a big man - but that's to be expected. He could clearly run the team and most any team right now. The future looks really bright and the present looks insane.

john montana
11-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Obviously he is a great player...but he seems to be an even better teammate. I love watching him play. He's going to have a fantastic career.

WallaWallaZag
11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
One thing I wanted to correct about his lack of scoring at HPrep. Iit wasn't the coaching staff, but his teammates that limited his offense. There were a couple of guys on that team that were trying to impress the National scouts, so once they touched the ball it was up, and Josh wouldn't touch the ball again until the next possession when he would pass to the wing and watch another quick shot go up. But overall, going to Hprep was the best thing Josh ever did. It exposed him to a much tougher, more physical brand of ball than we get in Colorado and better readied him for d1 basketabll

hprep probably stunted josh's offensive development in the short term, but i think long term he'll benefit from having played at that level with and against elite athletes and getting a taste of the frustration that must have come with it.

CDC84
11-20-2014, 10:49 AM
The issue with Perkins at Huntington Prep wasn't his lack of scoring. That's always going to go down on an all star team. It was the fact that Rob Fulford just rolled out the basketballs and wouldn't allow the best passing point guard in the 2014 class to run offense and develop his floor leadership skills. Josh would just bring the ball up and pass it off to someone who couldn't run offense.

The fact that players were hucking up shots for selfish reasons was yet another sign of Fulford's incompetence.

The entire GU coaching staff - notably Jerry Krause, the most published basketball author ever - felt that the Huntington experience was horrible for Perkins. That he received bad advice. He should've stayed in Colorado.

Fortunately that drama is now over, and he's now back in the hands of coaches who have a clue.

And fortunately, Rob Fulford is no longer the coach at Huntington Prep. Gifted youth basketball players deserve better. Which isn't to stay that he won't bring some players into the Missouri basketball program.

ZagsGoZags
11-20-2014, 05:38 PM
first time I saw video on him I saw fantastic passing and unselfishness
now in our games I see agility and some of the fastest reflexes I have ever seen on a zag player
his coordination and cat-like movements are so fun to watch
attitude is superb ...
can't say enough for what he is, and what portends for the future

Hoopaholic
11-20-2014, 07:38 PM
From what I saw, karno and Perkins appear to have become close ..lots of interaction on bench and court more so than others. Which is a good thing for pg

exclusivelee
11-22-2014, 09:02 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/22/2064181623fb21702d8751a3b03d49c7.jpg

And as the starting floor general next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he was voted to an All-America team like these other guys