PDA

View Full Version : Defense; Under 60

DixieZag
11-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Among all the [deserved] accolades, we might do well to acknowledge that we held a top 25 team to under 25% shooting in the second half, 31% for the game and under 60 for a game where we likely have 80 in any sort of normal FT endeavor. And we did all that with our 2 best bigs sitting the last 7 minutes of the first half.

PK is a beast inside on D.
Kevin's D impressed me as much as his offense.
Nunez played tough with the game on the line.
Gary being Gary
Wesley dialed himself in on defense and rebounding

I just though someone ought to mention it.

Mantua
11-17-2014, 11:25 PM
That is a valuable point, Dixie. And something to keep an eye on. Wesley truly is a godsend. He goes for it when others are trying to figure out what to do, but I think those others are learning from him. While I watched the game tonight, I was caught up in every little error so I have to rewatch the game and just count blessings. I honestly thought they were a bit rough tonight and thought the coaches would have plenty to work on in practice, but rough like diamonds in the rough. I even thought that the announcers were too complimentary, although this team's potential is obvious.

bigblahla
11-17-2014, 11:41 PM
That is a valuable point, Dixie. And something to keep an eye on. Wesley truly is a godsend. He goes for it when others are trying to figure out what to do, but I think those others are learning from him. While I watched the game tonight, I was caught up in every little error so I have to rewatch the game and just count blessings. I honestly thought they were a bit rough tonight and thought the coaches would have plenty to work on in practice, but rough like diamonds in the rough. I even thought that the announcers were too complimentary, although this team's potential is obvious.

I would give credit to a good, physical, athletic SMU team for making the Zags look a bit rough at times. IMO If the Zags can stay that focused on "D" only a special offensive performance will beat them and that still might not be enough.....Very, very good.....a historic season is upon us...:D

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
11-18-2014, 07:12 AM
The other BIG learning opportunity was Few forced Sabonis to play a LONG TIME with 3 fouls in the second half. Thought it was a extremely wise coaching move this early in the season for the young man to learn when to tone it back a notch

DixieZag
11-18-2014, 08:32 AM
The other BIG learning opportunity was Few forced Sabonis to play a LONG TIME with 3 fouls in the second half. Thought it was a extremely wise coaching move this early in the season for the young man to learn when to tone it back a notch

Good point.

And it seems like it might well be needed since Karno and him are foul prone and both had 2 with 7 minutes left in the first half - Nunez did very well.

Zag79
11-18-2014, 03:44 PM
This team is stacked, easily the most talented team Few has had one thru five. Perfect balance of guard and big play, team defense and rebounding as a unit, and offensive weapons at each spot. This is a no excuses year to me, this is the kind of elite team that makes that run we've been waiting for. I'm going to enjoy it game by game like I always do, but to discredit the talent we have would be just silly. Go Zags!

DixieZag
11-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I think it's more likely than not that we hold St. Joe's under 60, too. The team is clearly buying in and SJU will likely slow it down some.

Throw in a good effort against Thomas Aquinas and we might get a reputation as a tough defensive team.