• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Recruiting Conundrum

Old to board, new to post, but in reading so many of the posts on the recruiting scene, I actually have had the PLEASURE of asking myself do I really want my Zags going after one of the "burger boys" or the "one and done" type. Not that we are quite there yet, but we are having to consider early withdrawal (ammo, pargo, jh), it might not be very long before we have to consider a "jewel" recruit. So I ask myself (b/c we are out of season and I have nothing better to consider), do I want my Zag program to be that kind of program. Part of the enjoyment of being a Zag is actually getting to KNOW these guys over 4 or even 5 years! Does anybody really believe that Syracuse considers its national championship run with Carmelo Anthony all that special? Just wonderin'
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Re:

I don't know if Gonzaga is close to landing the one and done type recruits. That's going to take a national title or multiple final 4's. It really isn't an issue now.

That being said, I would've gladly taken Greg Oden or Kevin Durant last year. It depends on the kid.

Comment

• gonza
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Hopefully, it's inevitable. I would take take some pride in knowing a GU grad (even a one and done) is in the NBA. It's the continuing evolution of the program.

Comment

• Nevtelen
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I don't think he'll actually be one-and-done (I sure hope not!), but Daye seems to be of a similar caliber as a lot of those guys. Not that GU is in the running for that caliber of player terribly often, but the staff will have to increasingly balance early-entry NBA guys with 4-yr players. Managing all the associated ins and outs of that process will really have big impact on the program in the future, IMO.

Heck, we're seeing it now - will we sign another player in 2008 assuming someone else leaves early? Or just hope that no one does and keep the class as-is? Answering these kinds of questions is one of the reasons we pay the staff the big bucks.

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

It is a dilemma and a good topic to discuss. Welcome to posting on the board.

Thus far three-and-done appears to be the "best" GU does. I really think Few likes and prefers kids who will stay long enough to evolve into veteran players and leaders. But Few also goes after the best talent he can. You have to. As stated above, Gonzaga, right now, is not a big, glitzy program that attracts the one-and-doners. Instead, Few gets a guy like Pargo or Bouldin or Josh who can play equal to, or outplay, the one-and-done freshman in time.
          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• brasszag
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

As long as they are 100% a Zag while at GU I've got no problems.

If they're just "biding time" until the draft, I'd prefer they not be at GU.
            There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

Comment

• Sneaky Long
              Redshirt
              • Feb 2007

Character

I don't mind that we go after a burger boy or a one-and-done kid, as long as, he has GU character. Don't replace, great kid/good talent, for a virus with elite talent. Keep with GU you tradition, and go for Character.

Comment

• spudzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sneaky Long View Post
                I don't mind that we go after a burger boy or a one-and-done kid, as long as, he has GU character. Don't replace, great kid/good talent, for a virus with elite talent. Keep with GU you tradition, and go for Character.
                Few seems on target with the '07, '08and'09 recruits.
                Last edited by spudzag; 09-11-2007, 11:47 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Otto's Zags
                  Redshirt
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                  Old to board, new to post, but in reading so many of the posts on the recruiting scene, I actually have had the PLEASURE of asking myself do I really want my Zags going after one of the "burger boys" or the "one and done" type. Not that we are quite there yet, but we are having to consider early withdrawal (ammo, pargo, jh), it might not be very long before we have to consider a "jewel" recruit. So I ask myself (b/c we are out of season and I have nothing better to consider), do I want my Zag program to be that kind of program. Part of the enjoyment of being a Zag is actually getting to KNOW these guys over 4 or even 5 years! Does anybody really believe that Syracuse considers its national championship run with Carmelo Anthony all that special? Just wonderin'
                  Speaking as a Syracuse-raised & Gonzaga-adopted fan, yes, without question I consider the SU title run to be special.

It would've been just as sweet if a mid-year transfer led to us to the title and he'd only played in 15 games. A national title is a national title.

As an additional footnote, Boeheim is known for recruiting kids who stay on The Hill for four years. Before Carmelo, who was a freakish talent, name the last Syracuse player to leave school early? I believe it was Billy Owens.

Comment

• kylasdad
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

DixieZag said:

Does anybody really believe that Syracuse considers its national championship run with Carmelo Anthony all that special? Just wonderin'
                    I think any national championship run is special, even if it is with 1 specific freshman and a team you have gotten to know over time.

Comment

• lothar98zag
                      PostPadder General
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kylasdad View Post
                      DixieZag said:

I think any national championship run is special, even if it is with 1 specific freshman and a team you have gotten to know over time.
                      youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• Ikancagin
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Feb 2007

I remember a kid in my class who was one and done.

Comment

• gamagin
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I don't think so . . .

I think it is nigh on impossible in the current system to get a one and done at GU.

Our style and the way kids are developed does not lend itself to snagging an NBA-ready athlete looking for, or a candidate for, or ready for, a one and done.

the only exception I can fathom would be something akin to the son of a Zag coach or an anamoly similar to that in which a superstar comes to GU and just isn't going to consider any other school for personal, childhood dream, family etc., reasons and thus winds up being a big time candidate for the NBA after one season.

Even our very best, so far, have needed their time in the Zag uniform to develop for the next level. All of them.

That's our niche, imo. And it's a great one for the athletes and all of us.
                          So try to get some sleep. Count WCC pennants. Maybe do a situp. Or breathe slowly into a paper sack. It ain't going to become a problem.

The Zags are going to keep growing with growing coaches and athletes, hopefully for a long, long time, not as an instant way station for the NBA but a place to grow and develop and one day, the good lord willing, get a serious shot at the big leagues.
                          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• gonza
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

Allthough we have yet to see Austin Daye play, and given that potential is only potential, does Austin have a shot and being one and done?

Comment

• ZagSlug
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Daye needs bulk....but then again....the NBA drafts on upside/potential
                              sigpic
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X