PDA

View Full Version : Meehan: Melson redshirting

VinnyZag
11-11-2014, 03:16 PM
S-R's Jim Meehan just tweeted this:

GU's Silas Melson told me he's redshirting this season. Bryan Alberta said he's leaning heavily toward redshirting.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-11-2014, 03:20 PM
S-R's Jim Meehan just tweeted this:

Not sure how I feel about that. Fingers crossed the littles stay healthy. I suspect if GBJ gets injured again that shirt may come off. Either way it helps build a strong base for next year at both G positions with Alberts and Mel shirting.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-11-2014, 03:22 PM
This program should gave some great institutional depth for the next few years.

webspinnre
11-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Wow, surprising. In the good news, if we make it cleanly through the first half of the season we'll have McClellan, and then with both Alberts and Melson redshirting, have incredible depth at guard going forward as well, even losing Kevin and GBJ.

Zags11
11-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Agree.

exclusivelee
11-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Very interesting. Don't think anyone could have predicted this before the TRU exhibition

With Melson redshirting, we have 10 scholarship players available to play until McClellan becomes eligible on Jan. 6. Alberts might as well play

Radbooks
11-11-2014, 03:35 PM
I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall during the Texas scrimmage. I think it's the right move for him, but I am a bit surprised.

btzag
11-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Bummer...was really looking forward to seeing him on the court this year. Wonder if we will see Drang at the 2 some or other lineups like that? One tweaked ankle or flu running through the group could make this team pretty thin. My count is 11 players when McClellan is eligible if Alberts redshirts. This is obviously only 10 up to January even counting Griffin....

jazzdelmar
11-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Shocked even tho it was hinted at. Given Few's high praise all fall this is a surprsie. Then there's the question if he does not stay all four years and then this is a lost opportunity. Dunno, more to the story I suspect

VaBeachZAG
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Shocked even tho it was hinted at. Given Few's high praise all fall this is a surprsie. Then there's the question if he does not stay all four years and then this is a lost opportunity. Dunno, more to the story I suspect

I recall a statement from Melson around the time of his commitment to GU where he indicated he really wanted to earn a degree. This would suggest a mind set of staying rather than leaving early. Of course circumstances and mind sets can always change, but I think the decision to redshirt is not inconsistent with his desire to obtain a degree. For the long run I see this decision clearly a win-win for Melson and for the program.

primal23
11-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I recall a statement from Melson around the time of his commitment to GU where he indicated he really wanted to earn a degree. This would suggest a mind set of staying rather than leaving early. Of course circumstances and mind sets can always change, but I think the decision to redshirt is not inconsistent with his desire to obtain a degree. For the long run I see this decision clearly a win-win for Melson and for the program.

Also, maybe the concussion was a little worse then we know? Hope he's ok, and that he stays!

BTB
11-11-2014, 04:00 PM

I don't think this is inconsistent with Few's praise. Even if he is a fantastic shooting guard, he is likely not better than Bell, Wesley, Draino, or McClellan. Between those 4 plus Pangos and Perk there is just no room for him this year. Smart move on his part.

hondo
11-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Very good choice. Over the years I have seen many player benefit greatly from that extra year. It can't hurt academically either. We are plenty deep with quality players.

gonzagafan62
11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm not egregious at all. I am very happy actually. Gives us another year of Melson. This depth he wouldn't even see much playing time anyway. Good decision IMO

Mantua
11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Also, maybe the concussion was a little worse then we know? Hope he's ok, and that he stays!

Since there was no hint of Melson redshirting before the concussion, it may very well be.

I'm disappointed because I too was anticipating the excitement of seeing him on the court this year.

Of course we all are hoping for a quick and complete recovery. I hope he's healthy enough to rejoin the team if he is needed. It would be great to have a little more context. I really like this kid!

bartruff1
11-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Very good choice. Over the years I have seen many player benefit greatly from that extra year. It can't hurt academically either. We are plenty deep with quality players.

I really can't think of any that didn't benefit.....now Harris probably would not have benefited because of his age and he was going to start from day one...

WallaWallaZag
11-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Since there was no hint of Melson redshirting before the concussion, it may very well be.

I'm disappointed because I too was anticipating the excitement of seeing him on the court this year.

Of course we all are hoping for a quick and complete recovery. I hope he's healthy enough to rejoin the team if he is needed. It would be great to have a little more context. I really like this kid!

regarding the concussion...does anyone know if melson played in the texas scrimmage? if he was also held out for that one, we can probably assume the concussion is fairly serious.

Radbooks
11-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Here is Meehan's article in the Spokesman (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/nov/11/melson-alberts-planning-redshirting/) about his decision:

Melson’s decision wasn’t easy for the player or head coach Mark Few, who informs players of the scenarios at their positions before they arrive at a decision.

“It’s a really difficult call with Silas, probably as tough a one as I’ve had,” Few said. “It’s just finding minutes when only five can play and Kevin functions well at the ‘2’. Silas is a guy that can get his shot and make it. He’s not hurting the team in any area. He really rises up on his jumper. He’s pretty fearless.”

kitzbuel
11-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Interesting that they find themselves fighting for minutes with Conner Griffin. This obviously helps Coach Few with his roster management during the season.

zag67
11-11-2014, 06:48 PM
first I hope that the concussion is ok. I also am looking forward to seeing both of them play for the next four or five years. If both of them redshirt, with Edwards, that is going to give them a super solid team for the next 3 years. First, Perkins gets a year under his belt at the point. Also with McClellan, this gives them a super set of point guards next year. Melson, Alberts, and Dranginis give them a set of 2/3 guards that can also bring the ball up. You will hopefully have Nunez, KW, and Sabonis at the 4. With Edwards and Karnowski as the center. But I still think we may lose one of our bigs. My best wishes in whatever they decide to do.

Fonebone
11-11-2014, 07:15 PM
This is just speculation of course, but I don't think it has anything to do with his concussion. Sometimes the context favors taking things at face value, and I think this is one of those time. In explaining the redshirt, Few said it was "just finding minutes when only 5 can play." He was explaining the reasoning - he gave us the reason. There is no reason if the concussion was a factor that he wouldn't have said so - its not like when they don't discuss an injury to a player who is still playing, to not give the opponents any info. Why would we not take the explination at face value ? What reason would Few have for not telling the truth about a player who is going to sit out for a year ?

At the exhibition game Melson was jumping up an down cheering at times, with a huge smile on his face. He did not look like someone who felt anything less than 100%.

3zagda
11-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Melson is a great talent.
Yet have we ever had this many talented guards that might limit his minutes? KP, GBJ, BW, KD, not to mention AN, and KW able to play the 3. And EM coming in 1/15. + Griffin! Crazy guard talent!
Melson will be better when we do see him play next year, and this gives us another year to see him with more playing time.
I would love to see him this season, but if he makes us stronger in the future, I am fine with that!

sonuvazag
11-11-2014, 07:41 PM
And if he's needed they can lift the redshirt at any time.

VinnyZag
11-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Someone mentioned this in the previous thread, so it's not an original idea or anything. But Melson had a reputation as a good defender. I fear that may be where he is missed the most.

sittingon50
11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I hope Silas (& his parents) are comfortable with this decision. Had to be a very tough call.

raise the zag
11-11-2014, 08:05 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/413/089/845.jpg

Mantua
11-11-2014, 08:06 PM
This is just speculation of course, but I don't think it has anything to do with his concussion. Sometimes the context favors taking things at face value, and I think this is one of those time. In explaining the redshirt, Few said it was "just finding minutes when only 5 can play." He was explaining the reasoning - he gave us the reason. There is no reason if the concussion was a factor that he wouldn't have said so - its not like when they don't discuss an injury to a player who is still playing, to not give the opponents any info. Why would we not take the explination at face value ? What reason would Few have for not telling the truth about a player who is going to sit out for a year ?

At the exhibition game Melson was jumping up an down cheering at times, with a huge smile on his face. He did not look like someone who felt anything less than 100%.

I do think that sometimes an injury can stigmatize a player. Given the seriousness of concussions, I feel better about redshirting Melson this year. I wouldn't mention doubts about a player's health if I were a coach unless I had a good reason. I don't think we'll ever know for sure whether he's injured enough to require caution and that's ok with me as long as Silas knows that he is valued and that he is happy. I can still hardly wait to see him play.

hooter73
11-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Im really anxious to see him play so its hard to be excited to have to wait but in the end, it is almost always better for the student athlete to develop for another year. Beside school work, he will have a better understanding of the game playing on the scout team agaisnt our top level guys and he'll be working on his shots, his passing, his D... he'll be that much of a better player... and hes already a D1 ready player!

How this effects the team is an interesting one, I think it will relieve some of the pressure on Kyle Draginis. Yes yes the best plays, healthy competition and all that but I think a lot of KDs play is held back by confidence and not having Melson barking at his heels for playing time will help that. I think it also means that even though Eric M isnt able to sit a whole season and he's basically forced by default to the active roster, he is going to be utilized when he does get eligible.

Im also guessing that it means that competition is so fierce right now that even after just taking a little bit of doctor mandated time off, he slid in "the rankings."

cggonzaga
11-11-2014, 08:58 PM
10-27-2014, 03:00 PM#36

cggonzaga

Zag for Life

After watching Sabonis bang with and back in Karno at Kraziness I'd say he's going to be plenty physical. I had high expectations for him before....now they're through the roof.

On a side note, while everybody is very excited about Melson (me included), the freshman guard to watch is Perkins. I see Perks getting 15-20mpg. I don't think he will but I almost wish Melson would redshirt. I just don't see where he'll get his minutes between Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Dranginis and Perkins (and McClellan midseason. That guy is a jet btw.). Again, don't get me wrong, I love Melson and think he'll lead us in scoring in a year or two but right now it's going to be awfully tough to break into that rotation.

Sorry to toot my own horn Lee but I did recommend this before the Thompson River game. This has nothing to do with the concussion and everything to do with limited playing time. The guys ahead of him are just better right now. That is no insult to Melson rather a compliment to the players ahead of him. Melson will be a star at Gonzaga probably beginning next year. Glad the young man has the patience and recognizes how much this will benefit him. In the meantime, give em hell in practice Silas!

UberZagFan
11-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Sorry to toot my own horn

No tooting one's own horn here! But Uber has been saying for some time that Melson will struggle to see the floor--he's just not been saying it on this board. Redshirt is best decision for the team.

Let's not forget how good our returning guards are and how difficult it will be to take those minutes. Not to take anything at all away from Melson (and all the other newcomers) but it ain't like we got Kenny Anderson coming in....and yes, Uber is taking it that far back.

hooter73
11-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Just for fun-zies:

2015-2016 Guards/Wings

Silas Melson Red shirt Freshman
Kyle Dranginis Red shirt Senior
Bryan Alberts Red shirt Freshman
Josh Perkins Sophomore
Eric McClellan Red shirt Senior

Add in Connor Griffin as the combo wing and weve got six capable guys for the 1-3 positions (not to mention the other walkons that could probably be playing other places - Triano)

jazzdelmar
11-12-2014, 08:12 AM
but it ain't like we got Kenny Anderson coming in....and yes, Uber is taking it that far back.

Chibbs was the best h.s. pt guard ever....NBA level from the get go.

GoZags
11-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Just for fun-zies:

2015-2016 Guards/Wings

Silas Melson Red shirt Freshman
Kyle Dranginis Red shirt Senior
Bryan Alberts Red shirt Freshman
Josh Perkins Sophomore
Eric McClellan Red shirt Senior

Add in Connor Griffin as the combo wing and weve got six capable guys for the 1-3 positions (not to mention the other walkons that could probably be playing other places - Triano)

I'm thinking there might be a good big or two to go along with the guards/wings. The table is "set", and can't wait for Friday.

Mr Vulture
11-12-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't get why this is all that surprising outside of the huge hype that emerged over Melson. As I've said multiple times the past few weeks, this is in no way an indictment to the skills of Silas but more a reflection of the depth of this years team. He was not going to be a one and done, as some have suggested, and will likely be at least a 3yr player for the Zags depending on his development. This is good for all involved and was a decision the player/staff put alot of thought into I am sure.

DixieZag
11-12-2014, 09:07 AM

That is an incredibly perceptive point, Val.

He did place a huge weight on the academics of the schools he considered. We can be sure that his decision is based in large part on how the line-up spots look at this point in time, we can't know whether he is angling at that MBA or something after 5 years at GU. A free Master's degree added to four full years of starting (likely) is a fairly big value, I would say.

Still, I'm surprised - but that shirt will come off in an instant if there's an early serious injury.

cjm720
11-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't get why this is all that surprising outside of the huge hype that emerged over Melson. As I've said multiple times the past few weeks, this is in no way an indictment to the skills of Silas but more a reflection of the depth of this years team. He was not going to be a one and done, as some have suggested, and will likely be at least a 3yr player for the Zags depending on his development. This is good for all involved and was a decision the player/staff put alot of thought into I am sure.

this pretty much sums it up...

23zagmd
11-12-2014, 10:41 AM
MATH PEOPLE!

120 Minutes, 40 per, 3 positions(1,2,3)

KP 25+
GB 25+
BW 25+
JP 18 min
KD
CG
AN
McC
KW 5min of a Big lineup at the 3

That's 100 min of the 120 we have at those 3 positions and I haven't even doled out min to 4 guys. Redshirt it is!!!! or this boards head will explode trying to figure out why so and so isn't playing more minutes, by the time we hit Jan 1.

This has NOTHING to do with a concussion, his talent, his future here, Few, Tommy, etc. It is a simple math problem. 5 to play 4 and 120 minutes a game to go around. Do we honestly think that our chances to make the FF are impacted by him redshirting???? He's a FRESHMEN and this isn't KENTUCKY!

MDABE80
11-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Unusal RS for Silas but he'll be an easy AA by his 2nd year. I hope he sticks around. He'll get a full time job after this year. There is little doubt that he could start this year talent wise. ..as he would on many D1 teams. But if some injury or something unexpected happened I hope he heals and has fun in his RS year. Might just be the logjam 1-3. I hope it is. Looking at his talent level though even before he sets foot on the college floor he's got the talent to be 2 and done. Maybe a year with Knight combined with practice will get him where he wants to be. Looking at who's available in positions 1-3, we are full of talent.
If I was Few, I'd go hard on finding an athletic 6 ft 9 in kid who likes to rebound and play defense.

BTB
11-12-2014, 10:54 AM
If I was Few, I'd go hard on finding an athletic 6 ft 9 in kid who likes to rebound and play defense.

Don't we already have two of those, one of whom is a freshman right now?

WyoZag
11-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Unusal RS for Silas but he'll be an easy AA by his 2nd year. I hope he sticks around. He'll get a full time job after this year. There is little doubt that he could start this year talent wise. ..as he would on many D1 teams. But if some injury or something unexpected happened I hope he heals and has fun in his RS year. Might just be the logjam 1-3. I hope it is. Looking at his talent level though even before he sets foot on the college floor he's got the talent to be 2 and done. Maybe a year with Knight combined with practice will get him where he wants to be. Looking at who's available in positions 1-3, we are full of talent.

Hyperbole, right?

hooter73
11-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Don't we already have two of those, one of whom is a freshman right now?

he said athletic

:)

MDABE80
11-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Hyperbole, right?
See him play. nope not hyperbole.
Huge amount of tools. Huge amount of athleticism... He's got everything to be a great one.. 6A Player of the year in Oregon. I can see why. Fiercely competetive. He does not have McClellan's speed. Few kids do. But Silas will not disappoint.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
With respect to SM redshirting, the number of available backcourt minutes explanation has some leaks in it for next year, IMO. Sure KP, GB and BW depart the scene but here come redshirts Melson and Alberts and a full year of Mac. Somewhat of a push there. So another logjam ensues.

Jenks will be the mastermind and probably require 30-35 minutes a game as the only true PG; Mac will probably be at the two and get, what, 20-25. That leaves 20-30 backcourt minutes for Melson, Alberts, KD and Griff. Yes there will be some SF minutes I suppose, but one can imagine those going mainly to some of the bigs, where there will also be a logjam.

webspinnre
11-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Given how much Few seems to be fine with playing 3 guards, I imagine that'll mostly be fine, particularly with KD being a bit bigger.

cggonzaga
11-12-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't see the logjam next year jazz. Perks is the point, Melson the SG, Drang the 3. McClellan and Alberts play 1-3 so they're versatile off the bench. I think the minutes will be more evenly split next year unlike this year. Pangos, Bell and Wesley are easily getting over 30mpg and probably closer to 35 depending on the competition. We have the depth at guard this year unlike previous years but Pang, Bell and Wesley are still heads and shoulders better than the guys coming off the bench. To me this is the biggest reason Melson will RS.

Those worried about Melson leaving should have nothing to fear. The kid isn't going to sit out this year, transfer, then sit out another year. It will be hard for him to watch but he's only going to get better. I'm not going crazy like Abe and suggesting he'll be an AA next year but I do think he'll have a shot at All League in his redshirt freshman year.

zaguarxj
11-12-2014, 12:03 PM
MATH PEOPLE!

120 Minutes, 40 per, 3 positions(1,2,3)

KP 25+
GB 25+
BW 25+
JP 18 min
KD
CG
AN
McC
KW 5min of a Big lineup at the 3

That's 100 min of the 120 we have at those 3 positions and I haven't even doled out min to 4 guys. Redshirt it is!!!! or this boards head will explode trying to figure out why so and so isn't playing more minutes, by the time we hit Jan 1.

This has NOTHING to do with a concussion, his talent, his future here, Few, Tommy, etc. It is a simple math problem. 5 to play 4 and 120 minutes a game to go around. Do we honestly think that our chances to make the FF are impacted by him redshirting???? He's a FRESHMEN and this isn't KENTUCKY!

KW is not going to play a single minute at the 3 this year, let alone 5 minutes a game. Mark Few does not "go big."

WyoZag
11-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Huge amount of tools. Huge amount of athleticism... He's got everything to be a great one.. 6A Player of the year in Oregon. I can see why. Fiercely competetive. He does not have McClellan's speed. Few kids do. But Silas will not disappoint.

I'm not questioning Silas Melson or his tools. I think he'll be a good contributor and a great piece for the program going forward. I'm excited to see him on the floor. What I struggle with is the claim that he would be an All-American after two years and start for other teams around the country before then meandering back to acknowledgment of a log jam in the backcourt and the limited minutes available. Further confounded by the claim Silas could leave after his redshirt sophomore year for the NBA.

Isn't all of that a little premature when he's never played a minute of college basketball? Almost illogical, really. In the last decade we've had what, four All-Americans? Not the Honorable Mention type, but first or second team. Two of them were seniors, with Dickau being a fifth year guy. We've had three kids leave early (KO, Daye, and Morrison), with Austin being the only underclassmen during that same time period.

So if I'm buying stock in what you're saying, I'm basically left to believe Silas will be a guy that does things never accomplished by anyone else to wear a Gonzaga uniform. Better yet, he will accomplish all of those things as a guy who was looking at limited minutes (admittedly on a deep team) as a true freshman.

While we've had other teams with good depth, the future All-Americans all found roles as true freshman, especially Adam in 03-04 and Daye in 07-08. Could the recent concussion had an impact on this decision? Sure. But if the decision was based solely on the concussion, why would it be announced right now? It wouldn't. Let him recover and then make a decision much like last year with Ryan Edwards when he got sick. This was all about minutes.

I guess what I'm saying that while I know the season starts in two days, but maybe it's time to step back from the Kool-Aid when we're pitching kids as future All-Americans and NBA guys when they haven't played a single minute of college basketball and they, along with the coaches, made a decision that it would be in the kid's best interest to redshirt.

zag67
11-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Jaz, if I have the numbers right, they should have 60 to 70 minutes counting the small forward. I think that KD, Griff, and Alberts would be able to play small forward against most of the teams that we will play. I have trouble seeing Sabonis or PK playing small forward. That leaves KW and Nunez (if they can get him eligible) for playing a small forward. I do not see KW being able to keep up with many of them, but yes Nunez would be possible.

My view (my opinion) would be:
Center/Power forward - PK, KW, Sabonis, Nunez and Edwards (but it is still possible that one or more of them might go pro if we have a super season)
Small forward - Nunez, KD, Griff and Alberts
PG/shooting guard - Perkins, Melson, Alberts, and McClellan

I think that bottle neck is going to be center/power forward if everyone comes back.

cjm720
11-12-2014, 12:19 PM

"easy" AA by his second year...early entry candidate...I have plenty of zag colored glasses, but pump the breaks doc! Hope you're right though :)

MDABE80
11-12-2014, 12:25 PM
"I'm not going crazy like Abe and suggesting he'll be an AA next year but I do think he'll have a shot at All League in his redshirt freshman year." Abe thinks Abe said after 2 years ..of playing ( not to include his RS year). When he begins his 4th year in the program after 1 RS year and 2 of playing), he'll get some mentions. I may have overstated but I am super enthusistic when it comes to our new kids. For me, having watched, I'm highest on Silas. Albert looks tremendous too but I didn't get to view him enough. I m just super high on the backcourt.

zag buddy
11-12-2014, 12:31 PM
I've seen him play in scrimmages and he has the tools to go far. If he has a work ethic like Pargo, he will achieve his goals. Also depending on the severity of the concussion he might be eligible for a medical redshirt. On a side note I see where Clay Thompson from WSU just got a 4 year 70 million contract. It's amazing we get to watch these kids develop to become superstars. Oh yes with various opinions on how good they will become..

cjm720
11-12-2014, 12:32 PM
"I'm not going crazy like Abe and suggesting he'll be an AA next year but I do think he'll have a shot at All League in his redshirt freshman year." Abe thinks Abe said after 2 years ..of playing ( not to include his RS year). When he begins his 4th year in the program after 1 RS year and 2 of playing), he'll get some mentions. I may have overstated but I am super enthusistic when it comes to our new kids. For me, having watched, I'm highest on Silas. Albert looks tremendous too but I didn't get to view him enough. I m just super high on the backcourt.

rightfully so, our best ever recruiting class. Silas and Alberts under the radar; Perks went with us. If Bell and Pangos were gone or underclassmen, I doubt we'd see a RS class...these kids are head of where Bell and Pangos were, but due to experience they're not as good and sure sounds like that's been evident in practice. A nice luxury to have...stagger the talent, go after bigs and wings over the next couple years.

Vanzagger
11-12-2014, 12:57 PM
He is going to be lickin his chops seeing how awesome it is to play in front of the KC. The next 12 months will go fast enough for him. In the mean time......Let's do this

Mr Vulture
11-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Exactly this...the expectations on Melson are so far out there for some as I've been saying. You have summed it all up in a concise and detailed way. By the way, I don't think the concussion had any bearing on this decision from what I can gather. It is completely about depth and minutes available.

I'm not questioning Silas Melson or his tools. I think he'll be a good contributor and a great piece for the program going forward. I'm excited to see him on the floor. What I struggle with is the claim that he would be an All-American after two years and start for other teams around the country before then meandering back to acknowledgment of a log jam in the backcourt and the limited minutes available. Further confounded by the claim Silas could leave after his redshirt sophomore year for the NBA.

Isn't all of that a little premature when he's never played a minute of college basketball? Almost illogical, really. In the last decade we've had what, four All-Americans? Not the Honorable Mention type, but first or second team. Two of them were seniors, with Dickau being a fifth year guy. We've had three kids leave early (KO, Daye, and Morrison), with Austin being the only underclassmen during that same time period.

So if I'm buying stock in what you're saying, I'm basically left to believe Silas will be a guy that does things never accomplished by anyone else to wear a Gonzaga uniform. Better yet, he will accomplish all of those things as a guy who was looking at limited minutes (admittedly on a deep team) as a true freshman.

While we've had other teams with good depth, the future All-Americans all found roles as true freshman, especially Adam in 03-04 and Daye in 07-08. Could the recent concussion had an impact on this decision? Sure. But if the decision was based solely on the concussion, why would it be announced right now? It wouldn't. Let him recover and then make a decision much like last year with Ryan Edwards when he got sick. This was all about minutes.

I guess what I'm saying that while I know the season starts in two days, but maybe it's time to step back from the Kool-Aid when we're pitching kids as future All-Americans and NBA guys when they haven't played a single minute of college basketball and they, along with the coaches, made a decision that it would be in the kid's best interest to redshirt.

Zag 77
11-12-2014, 01:22 PM
He still is buried on the depth chart, maybe a few inches less now.

Virginia Zags Fan
11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
If Melson starts next year at the shooting guard spot, which I think he will, it means GU would have back to back 4-year starters at that position. He has the potential to be one of GU's best at that position. Brings up an interesting question. Who do you think was the best ever 2-guard at GU and do you think young Mr. Melson will eventually claim that title?

hooter73
11-12-2014, 01:30 PM
If Melson starts next year at the shooting guard spot, which I think he will, it means GU would have back to back 4-year starters at that position. He has the potential to be one of GU's best at that position. Brings up an interesting question. Who do you think was the best ever 2-guard at GU and do you think young Mr. Melson will eventually claim that title?

With all the guard/wings weve had (Gray, Bouldin...) and guards that turned into point guards (Pargo), weve rarely had a dedicated 2 guard. Right now, Bankhead and Bell are on the short list for "best ever"

jazzdelmar
11-12-2014, 01:31 PM

Blake. Melson would do well to approach his level. Blake played the two largely for two years. Good enough to lay claim to best ever.

jazzdelmar
11-12-2014, 01:35 PM
With all the guard/wings weve had (Gray, Bouldin...) and guards that turned into point guards (Pargo), weve rarely had a dedicated 2 guard. Right now, Bankhead and Bell are on the short list for "best ever"

KB is my sentimental favorite but I still opt for BS.

hooter73
11-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Blake was one of those combo point guards like we've tried to make Kevin be when Stockton had the specific Point Guard role, but couldnt keep the two off the court at the same time. I just went through the rosters for the last ten years to make sure I wasnt missing anyone. I wasnt. Bankhead and Bell.

maynard g krebs
11-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Jefferson is 5a. Pritchard was 6a poy last yr.

SageOfZagville
11-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Jefferson is 5a. Pritchard was 6a poy last yr.

Melson was the Gatorade Player of the year in Oregon for 2013-2014, signifying the best player in the state.

maynard g krebs
11-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Melson was the Gatorade Player of the year in Oregon for 2013-2014, signifying the best player in the state.

Just said Jefferson is 5a.

maynard g krebs
11-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Exactly this...the expectations on Melson are so far out there for some as I've been saying. You have summed it all up in a concise and detailed way. By the way, I don't think the concussion had any bearing on this decision from what I can gather. It is completely about depth and minutes available.

+1. Good player but when I saw him I saw a kid typical of where he was ranked; 100-200 range. Sometimes kids like that blow up; he's improved a lot apparently in the last 16 months since I saw him, but the redshirt doesn't surprise me.

75Zag
11-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Hope he is ok physically - I have not been following the details. Redshirting seems like a really bad idea from the standpoint of the player and his family, but as a GU fan I am always happy to have more players in reserve for next year, or the year after that, or the year after that.

Go Bulldogs!

ZagaZags
11-12-2014, 03:41 PM
1.Rob Sacre
2. Kelly Olynyk
3. David Stockton
4. Sam Dower
5. Kyle Dranginis
6. Mike Hart
7. Matt Santangelo
8. Sean Mallon
9. Zach Gourde
10. Kyle Bankhead
11. Josh Heytvelt

I think things worked out pretty well for all the redshirt players. ( I'm sure I missed a few )

maynard g krebs
11-12-2014, 03:55 PM
1.Rob Sacre
2. Kelly Olynyk
3. David Stockton
4. Sam Dower
5. Kyle Dranginis
6. Mike Hart
7. Matt Santangelo
8. Sean Mallon
9. Zach Gourde
10. Kyle Bankhead
11. Josh Heytvelt

I think things worked out pretty well for all the redshirt players. ( I'm sure I missed a few )

Santangelo

zag67
11-12-2014, 04:25 PM
If you think about redshirting, there are many good reasons for doing it:
1. Allows you a year to adjust to college life
2. Allows you the first year to take some extra courses to get ahead of the academics. Therefore graduate on time and possibly even get a graduate degree.
3. A year of practicing against players like Pangos and Bell
4. Work with the coaches and define what they are missing to become better players
5. Put a plan together and work to improve all areas of their game
6. Learn from some of the best

Pallet
11-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Frahm has to be in that discussion, unless he was a forward. My memory is hazy at this time of day.

Worthington
11-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I think this is a really good, mature decision on Melson's part. I'm surprised that he opted to do this, as it's hard to pass up a year of playing under the big lights, but I'm thrilled that he has chosen this route. I truly believe he has the talent to come in and contribute right away, and if the circumstances were the same as when Pangos and Bell arrived, I think he would have been starting just like Bell did. Simply were not the minutes to go around this season in the back-court. A four man guard rotation of Pangos, Bell, Perkins and McClellan is more than talented enough to handle the allotted 80 minutes a game. I was really excited to see Melson on the court this year, but I'm drooling thinking of how good a player he could be after a redshirt year working with Travis Knight. One of my biggest concerns about this season was Melson's playing time. I really think that he will turn into a special player at GU, but I was worried of the effect it would have on him if he was stuck on the bench this season playing only spot minutes. Too talented a player to go through something like that. Win-win scenario in my books, barring an injury

BobZag
11-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Was surprised a bit at first but more I think about it... Bodes well for future strong teams.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Frahm has to be in that discussion, unless he was a forward. My memory is hazy at this time of day.

I remember when Frahm a skinny 2/3 came in as a freshman. He bulked up and became one of our all-time stars. His red shirt was obviously a good move

DixieZag
11-12-2014, 07:58 PM
One other benefit. Even though it is very tough to sit and watch for a year, it's easier to do when one has never stepped on the court for a game before, unlike Kelly doing it between active years.

And again, if we get an injury any time in the OOC, I expect that shirt to come flying off and get to use the depth anyway.

seacatfan
11-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm really confused on how Melson was under the radar if he's as good as some are saying. Did he not play on an AAU team? It's not like Portland is a no man's land for recruiting. Plenty of big time D1 recruits come out of there. He led his team to a state title in the second highest division in Oregon. The linked article said Washington, Oregon St. and Colorado offered and Oregon was interested, so it's not like none of the Pac 12 schools noticed him at all.

I'm still taking this early entry to the NBA speculation with a grain of salt. Athletic 2 guards are a dime a dozen. I've seen a whole bunch of really good college 2's not find a home in the NBA. We'll see. I'm still looking forward to seeing him play college ball and develop as a player.

WallaWallaZag
11-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm really confused on how Melson was under the radar if he's as good as some are saying. Did he not play on an AAU team? It's not like Portland is a no man's land for recruiting. Plenty of big time D1 recruits come out of there. He led his team to a state title in the second highest division in Oregon. The linked article said Washington, Oregon St. and Colorado offered and Oregon was interested, so it's not like none of the Pac 12 schools noticed him at all.

I'm still taking this early entry to the NBA speculation with a grain of salt. Athletic 2 guards are a dime a dozen. I've seen a whole bunch of really good college 2's not find a home in the NBA. We'll see. I'm still looking forward to seeing him play college ball and develop as a player.

hype has been overblown...imo he's not an early-entry type talent unless his shooting becomes jimmer or redick like or unless he can also play the point like curry. his athleticism and size are really good for college/zags, not nba 2-guards. at his size, he needs to be an elite athlete -- which he's not quite. he could continue to grow a little more which would throw everything i've written out the window. anyone know what his wingspan is??? more important than height to the nba folks.

sittingon50
11-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I remember when Frahm a skinny 2/3 came in as a freshman. He bulked up and became one of our all-time stars. His red shirt was obviously a good move

Pretty sure Richie did not RS (*caveat- I'm gettin' old).

ZagaZags
11-13-2014, 12:58 AM

http://thebulletwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/you-are-correct-sir.jpg

ZagaZags
11-13-2014, 01:06 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0VXUX_CJsgk/Tw74JJ2xLOI/AAAAAAAAALI/TS1zKJxa_-w/s1600/10001407.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvNHZx_Bb4&feature=player_detailpage

DixieZag
11-13-2014, 03:48 AM

Just my impression from what I read here. It's not that he was "Under the radar" so much as he was wrapped up by Few - probably by the end of his junior year, and it was really his senior year, both in play and leadership, that truly turned heads, but again, not so much on the recruiting news sites b/c he was already wrapped up.

As often happens, and one of his true gifts, Few spotted it earlier than most and got in and done before Melson's true value was measured during his blow-up year with all kinds of Pac and other schools going hard at him.

I think the NBA speculators are but a very few loud voices here.

WallaWallaZag
11-13-2014, 06:06 AM
How long you wanna waste on this Maynard? I corrected your misperception. Shall you waste space perpetually or is this a fluke?

this is fun...i wanna jump in too :roll:

not sure why mgk feels the need to call out every little inconsistency unless there's something personal going on the rest of us are unaware of, but if we're going to argue about semantics i have to side with him and against abe..."by" and "after" are different...so not sure about any "misperception" going on.

WyoZag
11-13-2014, 06:54 AM
How long you wanna waste on this Maynard? I corrected your misperception. Shall you waste space perpetually or is this a fluke?

Thanks for correcting OUR misperceptions.

A bit bold and/or arrogant with respect to your evaluation of a pickup game or two. I'd still say you're overstating things when claiming any freshman would be an All-American or leave for the NBA after a redshirt junior season. A lot of things have to fall into place to be first or second team All-American. Not an easy thing to do. Please though, drive the hype machine whenever your free time allows.

Angelo Roncalli
11-13-2014, 07:21 AM

He did not redshirt.

seacatfan
11-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Just my impression from what I read here. It's not that he was "Under the radar" so much as he was wrapped up by Few - probably by the end of his junior year, and it was really his senior year, both in play and leadership, that truly turned heads, but again, not so much on the recruiting news sites b/c he was already wrapped up.

As often happens, and one of his true gifts, Few spotted it earlier than most and got in and done before Melson's true value was measured during his blow-up year with all kinds of Pac and other schools going hard at him.

I think the NBA speculators are but a very few loud voices here.

Good post, thank you.