PDA

View Full Version : Austin Daye with the Spurs 2014-15

ZaGranny
10-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Spurs are playing the Mavs on TNT. End of first quarterSA 26 Dallas 24. Austin has not been ib yet.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
10-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Austin did not get in with the win 101 to 100.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Austin played just 3:09 in the win. He was 0-1 shooting, and had 1 TO as his only stat.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Easy game for Rockets with Ginobli and Duncan sitting in the second of a back to back.

Austin played 15:59. He had 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 fouls, 3 steals and a TO.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Austin played 14:07. He had no points, 4 rebounds, 2 fouls and 2 TO's.

ZaGranny

HillBillyZag
11-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Unless A.D. has done an " about face "?, he won't thrive with the Spurs. With all due respect, he was always his own biggest fan, and they believe in sharing the ball.

ZaGranny
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Austin DNP in last night's win over the Clippers.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Spurs 100 76ers 75

Austin played 19:29. He had 9 points, 2 each of rebounds, assists, fouls, T)'s and blocks.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
11-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Austin played 8:47. He had 3 points, 2 rebound,2 fouls, 1 TO.

ZaGranny

ZagNut08
11-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Big game for Daye going for 13 & 11

ZaGranny
11-21-2014, 07:13 PM
Austin played 26:12. He had 13 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 fouls, 1 T.

Great game.

ZaGranny

sittingon50
11-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Great game AD.

Thanks Granny.

ZaGranny
11-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Austin played 12:56. He had 3 points, 3 rebounds, 1 TO, 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Haven't post on Austin because he hasn' t played much:

12/22 Spurs 125 Clippers 118 He played 3 seconds, had no stats.

12/25 Thunder 117--Spurs 106--he played 17 seconds. He had zero across his stat line.

12/26 Pelicans 97 Spurs 90 He played 3:37. He again had zero across his stat line.

Many games before this he has been listed as DNP.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
12-31-2014, 12:05 PM
I sort of watched this. Looked like Popovich was emptying his bench to save his starters shoo play again tonight.

Austin played 2:46. He had 2 points and an otherwise empty stat line.

ZaGranny

hooter73
01-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Can someone help me understand? Must be a great practice player or something cause the money I'm guessing they're paying him to not play seems weird to me. At this time in his career I would wonder if he wouldn't just go overseas if he actually wanted to play. But being in the states, probably being paid more to sit than he would overseas to play, being able to say your job is an NBA player... Don't know, just seems like it would be kind of lackluster.

Birddog
01-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Can someone help me understand? Must be a great practice player or something cause the money I'm guessing they're paying him to not play seems weird to me. At this time in his career I would wonder if he wouldn't just go overseas if he actually wanted to play. But being in the states, probably being paid more to sit than he would overseas to play, being able to say your job is an NBA player... Don't know, just seems like it would be kind of lackluster.

Daye makes a little over 1M a year. Very few Euro teams pay that much despite what you may hear. I'm sure his agent has both of their best interests in mind when they shop his talents and sign. He is apparently opting for $ over PT.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/austin-daye/

hooter73
01-02-2015, 12:12 PM
About what I figured and honestly hard to blame him. He still practices and is immersed in the game, plus the best seats in the house every night. I guess because he's still relatively young, its hard to think he's ok with not playing. A guy in his thirties that sits for a million a year is a happy and smart guy. Daye Is probably far from the only one that is doing what he is doing. Heck Morrison has two championship rings and never played a possession for either one iirc.

ZaGranny
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Missed posting a few games:

1/3/15: Spurs 101 Wizards 92

Austin did not play.

1/6/15: Detroit 105 Soyrs 104.

Austin did not play.

ZaGranny

KStyles
01-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Daye with a season high 22 in the win over the Wolves tonight.

Nice move too: http://www.nba.com/spurs/daye-fake-and-flush

ZaGranny
01-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Daye with a season high 22 in the win over the Wolves tonight.

Nice move too: http://www.nba.com/spurs/daye-fake-and-flush

He led the Spurs in points--22--and rebounds 10.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Spurs lost. Austin played 7:12. He had 5 mins, 2 rebounds and 1 foul. I looked up from making dinner to see him on the floor clutching his knee, but the announcers did not say anything further and I could not find anything on line.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
01-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Austin is starting for the Spurs right now on NBA Laegue Pass.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
01-17-2015, 08:09 AM
From Twitter:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

San Antoino is waiving Austin Daye, clearing the way to sign JaMychal Green to a 10-day contract, league source tells Yahoo.

Bkzag
02-02-2015, 05:35 AM
From Twitter:

ZN, what do you think is his problem?

willandi
02-02-2015, 09:10 AM
The problem is probably the same one as Nunez has. When you are the 3rd option, you never get to play, you don't practice with the 1's and 2's, so when you get in you either press too hard or are paralyzed into inaction and so don't perform.

ZagNative
02-02-2015, 01:00 PM
This article extensively documents the author's problems with Austin's game. LINK (http://airalamo.com/2015/01/08/austin-daye-time-waive-struggling-forward/).

Austin Daye: Time to Waive Struggling Forward?

Is it time for the San Antonio Spurs to close the book on the Austin Daye experiment?

Austin Daye has flat out struggled in his second season with the San Antonio Spurs. The 6-foot-11 forward is stuck at the bottom of the Spurs rotation and, in his limited playing time, is actually hurting the team rather than helping it.

Daye’s on court issues have been well documented since the forward came into the association after being drafted 15th overall in 2009.

While the former Gonzaga standout played alright in his first couple of seasons as he tried to feel his way out in the NBA (6.3 points per game in 16.7 minutes first two seasons), since being traded to the Memphis Grizzlies midway through his fourth season, the forward has struggled mightily.

Daye has played on three different teams since he was traded a couple of seasons ago, and just seems to be losing his confidence in the NBA.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xnTxnFgzzUk/VM_1e0S71zI/AAAAAAACChQ/rvImiosKZwM/s824/2015-01-31%2520Austin%2520Daye%2520story%2520re%2520waiver .jpg

Conclusion

Austin Daye has been a flat-out bust in his stint, not only with the San Antonio Spurs but in the NBA. It’s time for the Spurs to move on and drop the forward.

Currently he’s on the books for a little over $1 million which means waiving him is not a tough pill to swallow at all.

San Antonio even has an ideal replacement for the forward should they choose to fill the roster spot immediately.

Zag 77
02-02-2015, 07:46 PM
He will be OK. Just like Adam Morrison. You take a few million dollars of NBA salary, make reasonable investments and you are set. If you want to keep busy you can buy a KFC franchise or a car dealership. I suspect he is doing better than most of us did 6 years out of GU.

Mojo13
02-03-2015, 09:35 AM
He will be OK. Just like Adam Morrison. You take a few million dollars of NBA salary, make reasonable investments and you are set. If you want to keep busy you can buy a KFC franchise or a car dealership. I suspect he is doing better than most of us did 6 years out of GU.

While I agree with your comment, I am not sure that is the point. The sun is setting on Daye's NBA career and like Morrison, most would say neither fulfilled their potential and their careers will be viewed as relative disappointments. Comparing the money earned to the regular joes is not the point, when we should be looking at their peer group - other lottery picks.

The unwashed masses like to apply definitive labels (it is always more complicated) and in that respect, Morrison and Daye will be remembered as unquestionable busts.

Over drafted? Over rated? Bad luck? Injuries? That is all up for debate. It is a common story in the NBA. Anthony Bennett may supplant Morrison from the top of all the idiotic "Greatest Busts of All Time" lists - he like Morrison would have had vastly different expectations and career if drafted 10 spots later.

Daye still has the potential for a long and lucrative career in Europe or China - it would be a shame to see him retire.

Zag 77
02-03-2015, 12:34 PM
All things considered, I would rather be an NBA bust with millions of dollars as opposed to an NBA bust with no money. Seriously, is not money the reason most players want to play pro basketball? I am sure that championships are nice and being famous can be OK, but that is just gravy. Unless one wants to become a priest or a missionary, most of us went to college with some hope of having a decent salary in our chosen profession (and doing positive things for society, of course).

Shanachie
02-03-2015, 02:49 PM
While I agree with your comment, I am not sure that is the point. The sun is setting on Daye's NBA career and like Morrison, most would say neither fulfilled their potential and their careers will be viewed as relative disappointments. Comparing the money earned to the regular joes is not the point, when we should be looking at their peer group - other lottery picks.

The unwashed masses like to apply definitive labels (it is always more complicated) and in that respect, Morrison and Daye will be remembered as unquestionable busts.

Over drafted? Over rated? Bad luck? Injuries? That is all up for debate. It is a common story in the NBA. Anthony Bennett may supplant Morrison from the top of all the idiotic "Greatest Busts of All Time" lists - he like Morrison would have had vastly different expectations and career if drafted 10 spots later.

Daye still has the potential for a long and lucrative career in Europe or China - it would be a shame to see him retire.

For perspective, check out this study (http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm) by 82games.com. This is getting a little dated (it's for the 20 years from 1989 through 2008), but I like to check it out from time to time. It shows, for each draft position, average points, rebounds, and assists for the players drafted in that spot. It also rates the production using a simple (maybe simplistic) metric of Points + Rebounds + Assists and groups the players into categories ranging from "Star" to "Bust."

Austin was selected with the 15th pick in 2009. The players selected with the 15th pick in 1989-2008 averaged 6.6 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 1.4 assists. Austin's career numbers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dayeau01.html)are 5.2 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 0.7 assists. Below average for the pick, but not dramatically so.

This puts him in the category of "Deep Bench," along with 20% of the other players selected with the 15th pick. Another 20% fall in the "Bust" category.

I know many of us wish his career had gone differently, and I'm sure he does, too, but it's easy to think that every guy selected in the draft becomes a star, when that just isn't true. Looking at the study results, only the first 10 picks average double figure scoring for their careers.