PDA

View Full Version : PAC 12 passes reforms---anyone know if WCC is looking to do something?

realtydog
10-28-2014, 08:33 AM
with pay, better medical, and guaranteed 4 year deals----how much does this hurt if we don't/can't match?----not all of our scholarship players are guaranteed more than one year---does anyone know if GU can match what the PAC 12 is doing without the rest of the WCC following ? Will the WCC allow select schools to offer better terms if they can?--when we know most of the conference most likely can not---nothing on the WCC site about changes they may be looking at

Mr Vulture
10-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Gonzaga would be able to do this as they have the budget to do it. I am not sure if the WCC can block it, I think they can, but I'd think if that happened that Gonzaga and BYU would probably look to leave the conference frankly. These reforms really affect FBS football mostly simply due to the numbers involved player wise.

kitzbuel
10-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Gonzaga would be able to do this as they have the budget to do it. I am not sure if the WCC can block it, I think they can, but I'd think if that happened that Gonzaga and BYU would probably look to leave the conference frankly. These reforms really affect FBS football mostly simply due to the numbers involved player wise.

BYU doesn't play WCC football so conference rules would not apply.

realtydog
10-28-2014, 11:11 AM
frankly. These reforms really affect FBS football mostly simply due to the numbers involved player wise.

I know this is driven mostly by football----but how does it not affect basketball??

CDC84
10-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Gonzaga would be able to do this as they have the budget to do it. I am not sure if the WCC can block it, I think they can, but I'd think if that happened that Gonzaga and BYU would probably look to leave the conference frankly.

I think legally challenging the conference's ruling would be more likely. I've talked to a few college b-ball analysts about this, and they don't think leagues are going to prevent individual teams from paying out stipends and such because it wouldn't hold up in the courts.

I expect leagues like the WCC to pass their own reforms, but they may not require their teams to participate across the board.

Angelo Roncalli
10-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Gonzaga built a new arena to be competitive. Gonzaga pays competitive salaries to its coaches. Gonzaga flies charter . My best guess is that Gonzaga will do what it takes to continue to be competitive.

seacatfan
10-28-2014, 11:34 AM
I am not sure if the WCC can block it, I think they can, but I'd think if that happened that Gonzaga and BYU would probably look to leave the conference frankly.

BYU would probably have more options because they have a football program and a significant fan base. Where would Gonzaga go if they left the WCC? Viable options seem to be somewhere between slim and none. The Pac 12 won't take them. Mountain West in all sports other than football? Not sure if that would happen. Anything else out West would be a step down. There were rumors about the "new" Big East last year, but quite frankly I'm glad that didn't come to pass. I don't want to see the Zags switch to a completely nonsensical conference geographically speaking. That would rule out Missouri Valley and Atlantic 10, which would probably be the best fits otherwise. What other possible options are out there? I don't think GU has much leverage if they threatened to leave. Would hate to see them go to the Big West or Big Sky or WAC or something if they couldn't agree with other WCC schools.

Zag 77
10-28-2014, 02:16 PM
The WCC may not adopt ALL of the things that the PAC-12 and "Power 5" conferences will do. There are at least some things that we might even debate are poisonous to college athletics.

However, there are SOME things that the PAC 12 is adopting that the WCC could adopt without breaking the bank:

1.) Medical insurance for up to 4 years after the athlete graduates. I would think that the schools could find some decent coverage on the market and spread the costs around by getting the conference a package deal.

2.) 4 Year Scholarships. This really does not cost any more, since the net number of athletes on scholarship would remain the same. In the real world, I suspect coaches will still find ways to "run off" players and frankly, the majority of transfers are initiated by the players who get sick of the Coach (see USF), or are in search of a place to get playing time. So I don't see it as being a big deal.

realtydog
10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Doubt you would be able to offer Men's bball team the added benefits and not do the same ....for say....the women's golf team----how would that work without threat of lawsuit

zag67
10-28-2014, 02:31 PM
I think if players have four year guarantee with money, they might not leave as quickly. If you are going to be payed 10,000 per year(as example), but you cannot get a feeler out because there will probably be rules against that because you are under contract and being paid, then it may be hard to do. If a coach forces a player out then there will probably be a law suit. Then you have all of the minor sports that will also get the same amount of money because they practice the same amount. I think this is going to be a lawyers paradise. Then if a player gets hurt, they still will have to honor the full ride, but the money for the scholarship will come from outside the sporting account. Oh, and what about the stipen that they were getting, will they still get it? This may be the demise of college athletics as we know it.

maynard g krebs
10-28-2014, 02:37 PM
A couple of posters have mentioned player pay in the thread. I read the Seattle Times story and there is no mention of that in the pac 12's new program.

realtydog
10-28-2014, 02:59 PM
A couple of posters have mentioned player pay in the thread. I read the Seattle Times story and there is no mention of that in the pac 12's new program.

there's a stipend in the Pac 12 plan

Bogozags
10-31-2014, 02:04 AM
Doubt you would be able to offer Men's bball team the added benefits and not do the same ....for say....the women's golf team----how would that work without threat of lawsuit

I believe Title IX basically states it would have to be equal between Men's and Women's sports, so offering it to Men's and Women's basketball teams would suffice. It would not HAVE to apply to all sports across the board BUT if the Power 5 conferences offer it to all of their scholarship players, then it would place non-Power 5 schools at a disadvantage in recruiting non-revenue sport athletes. This WILL undoubtedly change college athletics the same way Free Agency changed MLB. Those 65 schools controlling football and subsequently TV money, will dictate the future direction of college athletics.

kitzbuel
10-31-2014, 05:26 AM
Gonzaga built a new arena to be competitive. Gonzaga pays competitive salaries to its coaches. Gonzaga flies charter . My best guess is that Gonzaga will do what it takes to continue to be competitive.

Particularly when the investments they make to stay competitive have to date had very good returns.