PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Rivers Wolf Pack

Zag 77
10-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Located in Kamloops, BC. Formerly known as Cariboo College until 2003. Ken Olynyk is AD. Looks like Hockey is big there. Plays mens basketball in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS). Their league is the Canada West Universities Athletic Association.

http://athletics.inside.tru.ca/

Looks like they have about 13,000 on campus students. The mens basketball team was 13-9 last year.

MDABE80
10-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Gracious of them to come down here. It's an opportunity for our guys to show hustle and show who's in shape, will work hard, and does what the coaches want and expect. Of course we could get a more difficult scrimmage......we'll have that with TX. Let the season begin!....I hope it's on TV.

SanDiegoZag
10-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Gracious of them to come down here. It's an opportunity for our guys to show hustle and show who's in shape, will work hard, and does what the coaches want and expect. Of course we could get a more difficult scrimmage......we'll have that with TX. Let the season begin!....I hope it's on TV.

I'll be in Phoenix next weekend when the Zags are playing Texas. Anyone have any idea where the game is being played? Just a local high school? I would imagine there will be zero access to the scrimmage anyways...

Zag 77
10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
I am sure that GU is making it worth TRU's while to make the trip. My guess is that their athletic department is not flush with money and that AD Olynyk can use the money to flesh out his budget.

It might be nice to get Whitworth for the exhibition game one of these years.

GoZags
10-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Kamloops hit it's high water mark in 1967 ... when it's Little League team (led by a "star" catcher/2nd baseman) narrowly lost in the BC Finals to the team that made it to Williamsport (Trail). It's been down hill ever since.

http://www.littleleague.org/series/history/rosters/1967rstr.htm

ZaGranny
10-27-2014, 05:59 PM
No! Kamloops hit its high-water mark when it sent Kelly Olynyk to Gonzaga and then to the Celtics.

And another high water mark is Kamloopa--its wonderful pow wow, which we attended a couple of years ago.

ZaGranny

DixieZag
10-27-2014, 07:04 PM
No! Kamloops hit its high-water mark when it sent Kelly Olynyk to Gonzaga and then to the Celtics.

And another high water mark is Kamloopa--its wonderful pow wow, which we attended a couple of years ago.

ZaGranny

The interior of BC is just wonderful and one of the last underrated and relatively unknown places in the west - US or Canada.

As to Thompson - welcome! and we hope you enjoy your stay and have a good season.

Zagdog71
10-27-2014, 10:02 PM
WolfPack Men’s Basketball Drops Exhibition To Trinity Western

"The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack men’s basketball team played .500 this weekend in a series of exhibition games at the University of British Columbia Okanagan.

On Saturday (Oct 25), the WolfPack met up with the Trinity Western University Spartans of Langley, BC and lost 81-76.

That dropped the ‘Pack’s pre-season record to 3 and 2 with one game to go."

“We were outscored 28-14 in the third quarter and that did us in,” said Thompson Rivers head coach Scott Clark. “And we were out rebounded 50-41”.

http://athletics.inside.tru.ca/2014/10/26/wolfpack-mens-basketball-drops-exhibition-to-trinity-western/

OZZY
10-27-2014, 11:28 PM
It is great to see Ken's team down to play in Spokane, it will be a good warm-up for both teams, also a continuation of the Kamloops connection (The Zag Women's redshirt freshman Centre, Emma Wolfram, is from Kamloops).

From a competition perspective, nothing against TRU, but there is only a couple (perhaps only one) of Canadian University teams that could keep it close (15-20 points) if GU was in full flight. Would love to see that game, Carlton Vs GU!

americasteam
10-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Game is at 6:00 pm, and is televised on Spokane local channel KHQ.

It'll be fun to see the team out there. It may not be as competitive as playing each other in a scrimmage but it's nice to play against other players. (Which will be said more than once by the coaches, players and play-by-play announcers).

Bogozags
10-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Will the game be available on the internet or some other location?

VaBeachZAG
10-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Will the game be available on the internet or some other location?

Stated another way, are there any KHQ viewing area internet "streamers" out there that could do us out of area fans a great favor??

77Zag
10-28-2014, 09:37 AM
any other way to see the game? No Root, so us southlanders are looking for access

TheGonzagaFactor
10-28-2014, 11:47 AM
I'll be in Phoenix next weekend when the Zags are playing Texas. Anyone have any idea where the game is being played? Just a local high school? I would imagine there will be zero access to the scrimmage anyways...
I think it's at the Suns' arena with no access for fans.

Zag 77
10-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Some height.

# Name Position Height Weight Elig. Yr Course Yr Hometown Last Team (High School)

3 Brett Rouault G 6-4 200 5 Science 5 Vernon, BC (Clarence Fulton)
4 Brett Parker G 6-4 195 5 Business 5 Langley, BC (Walnut Grove)
5 Reese Pribilsky G 6-0 165 4 Business 4 Victoria, BC UVIC (Oak Bay)
6 Ismail Abdulahi G 5-10 165 1 Arts 1 Victoria, BC (Lambrick Park)
8 Luke Morris F 6-4 210 2 BCS 2 Mission, BC UFV (Mission)
9 Josh Mayorga F 6-5 230 1 Arts 1 Langley, BC (Walnut Grove)
10 Joe Davis F 6-5 215 1 Business 1 Kamloops, BC (Westsyde)
11 Victor Aguero G 6-0 185 3 Arts 3 Vancouver, WA Big Bend CC (Central Catholic)
12 Sean Price G 6-3 200 3 CMNS 3 Vancouver, WA Clark College (Columbia River)
13 Gerard Gore F 6-5 215 4 Science 4 St.John's, Antigua Cleveland State CC
(Ottos Comprehensive)
14 Josh Wolfram F 6-10 230 4 Business 4 Kamloops, BC University of Calgary (South Kam)
15 Tallon Milne F 6-8 220 5 Science 5 Vanderhoof, BC SFU (Nechako Valley)

Head Coach: Scott Clark Athletic Director: Kenneth M. Olynyk Asst. Coach: Kevin Pribilsky Athletics Assistant: Jon Shephard
Asst. Coach: Joe Enevoldson Media Coordinator: Larry Read Asst. Coach: Paul Patterson Athletic Therapist: Kevin Brechin

http://www.tru.ca/__shared/assets/Men_s_Basketball_Media_Guide29975.pdf

OZZY
10-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Some height.

# Name Position Height Weight Elig. Yr Course Yr Hometown Last Team (High School)

3 Brett Rouault G 6-4 200 5 Science 5 Vernon, BC (Clarence Fulton)
4 Brett Parker G 6-4 195 5 Business 5 Langley, BC (Walnut Grove)
5 Reese Pribilsky G 6-0 165 4 Business 4 Victoria, BC UVIC (Oak Bay)
6 Ismail Abdulahi G 5-10 165 1 Arts 1 Victoria, BC (Lambrick Park)
8 Luke Morris F 6-4 210 2 BCS 2 Mission, BC UFV (Mission)
9 Josh Mayorga F 6-5 230 1 Arts 1 Langley, BC (Walnut Grove)
10 Joe Davis F 6-5 215 1 Business 1 Kamloops, BC (Westsyde)
11 Victor Aguero G 6-0 185 3 Arts 3 Vancouver, WA Big Bend CC (Central Catholic)
12 Sean Price G 6-3 200 3 CMNS 3 Vancouver, WA Clark College (Columbia River)
13 Gerard Gore F 6-5 215 4 Science 4 St.John's, Antigua Cleveland State CC
(Ottos Comprehensive)
14 Josh Wolfram F 6-10 230 4 Business 4 Kamloops, BC University of Calgary (South Kam)
15 Tallon Milne F 6-8 220 5 Science 5 Vanderhoof, BC SFU (Nechako Valley)

Head Coach: Scott Clark Athletic Director: Kenneth M. Olynyk Asst. Coach: Kevin Pribilsky Athletics Assistant: Jon Shephard
Asst. Coach: Joe Enevoldson Media Coordinator: Larry Read Asst. Coach: Paul Patterson Athletic Therapist: Kevin Brechin

http://www.tru.ca/__shared/assets/Men_s_Basketball_Media_Guide29975.pdf

Some pregame notes:

Josh is obviously Emma Wolfram's Brother. He played with Kelly in High School, has 3 point range and is their leading rebounder. Tallon is the only other big(ger) body and was one of the top BC players in High School as well. Reese is a true PG and runs the team, but he will have a tough time up against GU's defence (IMHO he hasn't played against players at this level before). Reese reminds me a bit of is a bit of KP, just not as good a shooter (He played against KP in the 2009 Canada summer games*). The Washington State player's will appreciate the trip back and playing against GU. Price seems like the most obvious choice to make an impact(He played two years at Clark College and was a First Team All-Conference player). Given his age he might have played against GBJ in high school or AAU ball. the other WA native, Aguero should start with Pribilsky at the off guard. Josh Mayorga's brother Arnold played D1 ball at Long Island.

Starting Five

PG Pribilsky
SG Aguero
G Price
PF Tallon
C Woolfram

Realistically GU is 40+ points better, but will might play a lot of the lower bench and walk-ons for some of the game.

It is still great that TRU is coming down and they will most likely get as much out of the exhibition as the GU coaches. It will be one for the grandkids. Especially if GU makes as big an impact as we hope this year.

*Josh Wolfram also played in that game, as did Anthony Bennett, Negus Webster-Chan and Carlton's Phil Scrubb...It was a great game, Ontario came from behind and won 86-81.

http://cg2009.gems.pro/gems_pictures/Game/e997d3f5-468e-4d08-8a9a-f631d8ddd043.pdf

hondo
10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Just real happy that this game is happening. Canada and BC in particular have been very good to Gonzaga and it nice that this game can benefit all involved.

Zag365
10-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Realistically GU is 40+ points better, but will might play a lot of the lower bench and walk-ons for some of the game.

It is still great that TRU is coming down and they will most likely get as much out of the exhibition as the GU coaches. It will be one for the grandkids. Especially if GU makes as big an impact as we hope this year.

This is my expectation as well -- although I know nothing about TRU's team beyond what I've read in this thread. I hope that back-ups and walk-ons get 10mins., we have no injuries, and each and every player stays focused on sticking to game plan even if it is a blow-out, not getting caught up in trying to play one-on-one, run-and-gun, not abandoning the D, etc.

hooter73
10-31-2014, 07:58 AM
It might be nice to get Whitworth for the exhibition game one of these years.

Ive thought that before. These pre-pre season pay to play games are good, low stress shake out the cobwebs games, why not keep the money local and make an event out of it.

Zippyzaggy
10-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Thompson Rivers exhibition preview over on Zagaholic

http://www.zagaholic.com/2014/10/exhibition-preview-gonzaga-vs-thompson.html

Pargo the Destroyer
10-31-2014, 01:25 PM
This is my expectation as well -- although I know nothing about TRU's team beyond what I've read in this thread. I hope that back-ups and walk-ons get 10mins., we have no injuries, and each and every player stays focused on sticking to game plan even if it is a blow-out, not getting caught up in trying to play one-on-one, run-and-gun, not abandoning the D, etc.

Will they be allowed to have fun? sheesh. Also, I am fairly certain run and gun will be part of this teams repertoire. With that many horses it better be.

Mojo13
10-31-2014, 02:13 PM
It is great to see Ken's team down to play in Spokane, it will be a good warm-up for both teams, also a continuation of the Kamloops connection (The Zag Women's redshirt freshman Centre, Emma Wolfram, is from Kamloops).

From a competition perspective, nothing against TRU, but there is only a couple (perhaps only one) of Canadian University teams that could keep it close (15-20 points) if GU was in full flight. Would love to see that game, Carlton Vs GU!

Careful what you ask for. Carlton has a fine collection of NCAA scalps.
http://grantland.com/features/carleton-university-basketball-canada-syracuse-tyler-ennis-kansas-andrew-wiggins/

They have added to the pile this year by laying a beat down on Memphis by 32 points.

Worthington
10-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Played with Pribilsky in high school. He's an absolutely awesome passer and has really quick hands (led the Canada West in steals last year). He played on the provincial team with Kelly back in the day too. He's a really fun player to watch and might be their best player this season. I think he'll give Pangos a tougher game than most exhibition team PG's could. Hoping he has a good game! Realistically this is going to be a 30+ point game though, TRU just cannot match up with our front-court.