• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

A New Era

I remember when Gonzaga began recruiting and giving scholarships to foreign players. I didn't like it at all. I am slow to change I think. But slowly I came to realize that if Gonzaga was going to continue to be one of the best basketball programs in the United States, they HAD to recruit overseas. As I look back at the last ten years of GU basketball I would now say that some of the greatest Zag players have been young men from other countries. I also realized how much they added to the personality of the team and, most likely, to the university too.
    Not only has Gonzaga been recruiting foreigners, they are now able to recruit some very good players who are transferring from other universities. This year Gonzaga will have 6 players who are either from other countries or who have transferred from another university. They are Kevin Pangos, Kyle Wiltjer, Wesley, McClelland, Sabonis and Angel Nunez. That is almost half of the team.

I think many of us get real involved in the recruiting season and often feel kind of bad when we don't sign some of the athletes that Gonzaga recruits really hard. However, the truth of the matter is that after Gonzaga has failed to sign some of the big names in the incoming freshmen class, Mark Few and his staff will eventually sign a foreign player and a transfer, or two. This now seems to be a fact, and as the years have gone by it's something that I now look forward to. I can hardly wait to watch Sabonis, Wesley, McClellan and Wiltjer play. I believe I will be very happy when I see them on the court.

One interesting thing about the foreign players is that I think they all became stars at Gonzaga, and four of them signed professional contracts with an NBA team (Turiof, Sacre, Olynik, and Elias Harris). So maybe, in the end, we don't really lose when we don't sign some of the top US athletes coming out of high school. Like they say, sometimes when we lose we win.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • seacatfan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2014

Totally hear you. Don't like seeing GU miss out on recruiting targets, but they've continued to roll along. As you mention many of the foreign players they've brought in have been huge keys to their success. Seems like foreign recruiting is becoming more of a norm throughout college basketball. Zags have a firm foothold in Canada and Europe. Still nice to see them bring in some US high schoolers, especially guys from the Northwest like Bell and Melson or a highly touted guy like Perkins. Will probably continue to be a mix of US and foreign recruits plus transfers. Whatever it takes to keep the talent arriving on campus.

Comment

• Zag 77
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The Eiffel Rifle

It all started with Jean-Claude Lefevbre, 1957.

Comment

• ZAGGED OUT
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Mar 2012

Olynyk*

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I think it's fantastic and another chapter in the Gonzaga Miracle.

Comment

• drnoe
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Another great benefit to having all these foreign players is that most of them stay until they graduate and/or their eligibility runs out.

Comment

• Rangerzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Lest we forget, J.P Batista.
              "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
              "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
              I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• abarefootboy
                Kennel Club
                • Nov 2007

for me ~ there is the pride, joy and honor of our team being members of planet earth's full family .. not simply an indigenous, basketball tribe who's members run up, down and through the forests of 21st century Pacific Northwest America , oblivious of what lies beyond the lodge pole pine and beaver dam
                Last edited by abarefootboy; 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM.
                humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

• 75Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

I too was slow to warm up to the international recruiting thing, as I would prefer to beat UK or KU or UConn in a head-to-head recruiting war for the McD kids. But since that is not happening, I welcome all incoming players regardless of where they are from. I understand that basketball is taking off big time in China. It will be interesting to see when GU lands its first Chinese born recruit. (If we already have one I apologize for my bad memory).

Go Bulldogs!
                  Do not go gentle into that good night,
                  Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                  Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                  X