PDA

View Full Version : Jim Meehan's twitter--Secret scrimmage

ZaGranny
10-16-2014, 10:38 AM
GU-Texas in Phoenix 11/8. From Goodman at ESPN

Want a list of secret scrimmages in college basketball? I got you covered.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4172&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanSecretScrimmage

This link is to the insider. If you go to Jim Meehan's twitter that link will take you to the whole article.

ZaGranny

hooter73
10-16-2014, 11:27 AM
Nice find! These games are huge for development and getting the jitters out.

exclusivelee
10-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Love to hear about this annual matchup, just hope there is enough coverage on it this year

Texas looks destined for a long run in this year's dance, with a consensus top 15 ranking & #10 in the USA Today poll.

I hope to see how well our frontcourt can matchup with Texas'. Can we prevent them from outrebounding us?

ZagaZags
10-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Nice find! These games are huge for development and getting the jitters out.

+100 Great find. 3 things in life are certain, death, taxes and the Texas secret scrimmage.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Love to hear about this annual matchup, just hope there is enough coverage on it this year

Texas looks destined for a long run in this year's dance, with a consensus top 15 ranking & #10 in the USA Today poll.

I hope to see how well our frontcourt can matchup with Texas'. Can we prevent them from outrebounding us?

Yeah, two great frontcourt matchups:
Karnowski vs Cameron Ridley (6'9"; 285 lbs)
Wiltjer vs Jonathan Holmes (6'8"; 240 lbs)

If PK can stay out of foul trouble and KW can defend the power forward position, it bodes well for the Zags.

DarkZagRises
10-16-2014, 12:27 PM
GU-Texas in Phoenix 11/8. From Goodman at ESPN

Want a list of secret scrimmages in college basketball? I got you covered.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/1941/goodman-secret-scrimmages-list

This link is to the insider. If you go to Jim Meehan's twitter that link will take you to the whole article.

ZaGranny

Any way we can get a home and home with Texas? I'd love to see the Zags play in Austin and get to go to the Salt Lick again.

bigblahla
10-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Texas scrimmage is 11/2 according to the article...

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
10-16-2014, 12:43 PM

should be as close to a tune up as we are going to get for Arizona

KStyles
10-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Texas scrimmage is 11/2 according to the article...

Go!! Zags!!!

That article linked in the first post is dated 10/17/2013.

From Goodman's twitter via Meehan, this is the 2014 list: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4172&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanSecretScrimmage

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-16-2014, 02:30 PM
That article linked in the first post is dated 10/17/2013.

From Goodman's twitter via Meehan, this is the 2014 list: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4172&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanSecretScrimmage

This year's scrimmage looks to be especially competitive: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24753801/-15-college-basketball-conference-preview-big-12

" 3. Texas

When Myles Turner, a 6-10 consensus five-star prospect, has competition for a starting spot you know Texas has a deep team ready to contend for the Big 12 title. Turner's commitment this spring was huge for Rick Barnes and his staff, adding the highest rated Texas commit since Avery Bradley to a 24-win team that returns virtually everyone. While Turner draws the attention of the casual viewer, expect the heavy lifting to be led by point guard Isaiah Taylor and frontcourt stars Jonathan Holmes and Cameron Ridley. Javan Felix adds a deep threat offenisvely, Demarcus Hollarnd is your lockdown perimeter defender and expect both Prince Ibeh and Connor Lammert to battle for minutes down low. Texas might have one of the deepest teams in the league. "

seacatfan
10-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah, two great frontcourt matchups:
Karnowski vs Cameron Ridley (6'9"; 285 lbs)
Wiltjer vs Jonathan Holmes (6'8"; 240 lbs)

If PK can stay out of foul trouble and KW can defend the power forward position, it bodes well for the Zags.

I think Texas picked up a late commit in the spring from a Top 10 or Top 5 type of guy (incoming freshman), a long thin skilled big guy. Name is escaping me. I'll have to look it up.

seacatfan
10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Myles Turner, that's the guy. I just looked at their roster, they have another big bodied frontcourt player Shaquille Cleare that I think started his career at Maryland and was fairly highly rated. Not sure if he's eligible this year or not as a transfer.

seacatfan
10-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Dang it, I got scooped by like a minute.

GonzagasaurusFlex
10-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Sabonis vs the consensus 5 star, 6-10 freshman Myles Turner is a scrimmage match-up I hope we hear about after the scrimmage....how does the Euro big compare with "5 star" recruit?!

DixieZag
10-16-2014, 04:47 PM
These have been very good for the program. I am glad that Texas has been a dependable partner. I wonder where the commitment comes from - are Few and Barnes friends or is it just to have a team from a different conference you're unlikely to face? Plus, it seems to be a benefit that they get used to traveling to play. They seem to always play in a place that's about halfway for either team. Though, in November, it seems Phoenix is preferable to Denver.

Anyway, some years we get a good breakdown, some years we get next to nothing. I hope we get a decent breakdown this year.....unless we get our ass kicked, in which case I'm not sure we want to know.

Reborn
10-16-2014, 06:41 PM
texas has always been one of my favorite teams. I really like their coach alot. I believe he and Few are friends, 'cause they've been having this scrimmage for probably five years now. Gonzaga has been the better team but Texas had their years. I hope to see Coach Barnes return tohaving a very good team.

sittingon50
10-16-2014, 09:17 PM
" are Few and Barnes friends"

Yep.

amaronizag
10-17-2014, 07:55 AM
TX is well suited to GU's style of play because, last I knew, Barnes was still running the flex motion offense. On most years his teams defense is rated among the best in the nation. Would love to be able to see those scrimmages. Barnes can really recruit and many years has more talent on the bench than most teams have on the floor.

Zags_Fanatic
11-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Looks like we will get reports of the scrimmage results next weekend. Jeff Goodman is reporting on other scrimmages today and saying that NCAA has given the OK to talk about them after they have happened.

DixieZag
11-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Looks like we will get reports of the scrimmage results next weekend. Jeff Goodman is reporting on other scrimmages today and saying that NCAA has given the OK to talk about them after they have happened.

:o *

*Unless we get our ass kicked. If so, I want the NSA scratching their head afterward saying, "I'll be damned, those guy's played?"

JPtheBeasta
11-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Anybody know where in Phoenix this scrimmage will be? I live here and would go if they let the unwashed masses in.

KStyles
11-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Anybody know where in Phoenix this scrimmage will be? I live here and would go if they let the unwashed masses in.

No dice http://i.imgur.com/2ipRh53.gif

Practice Scrimmage. An informal practice scrimmage with outside competition exempted per Bylaw
17.3.5.3-(h) may occur at any point during the permissible playing and practice season (see Bylaw
17.3.1), provided it is conducted in privacy and without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other
than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage
against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure
that the scrimmage is free from public view. No class time shall be missed by basketball student-athletes
in conjunction with such a scrimmage, including all associated activities (e.g., travel, pregame and postgame
activities); and (Revised: 10/27/98 effective 8/1/99, 5/12/05, 1/17/09 effective 8/1/09, 3/2/09)

JPtheBeasta
11-01-2014, 11:09 PM
No dice http://i.imgur.com/2ipRh53.gif

I was going to go with a push broom disguised as one of Coach Few's kids...

Ekrub
11-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Apparently Saint Mary's played Arizona tough in their secret scrimmage

Ekrub
11-02-2014, 01:23 PM
According to Jeff goodman:

Arizona beat Saint Mary's in secret scrimmage, but not by much. Gaels were impressive. The two bigs -Tarczewski and Waldow - were very good.

Brandon Ashley made his return against Saint Mary's and played well. Gaels also got good play out of Washington transfer Desmond Simmons.

Mantua
11-02-2014, 01:29 PM
So it wasn't secret?

After all these years I'm having trouble grasping the idea of secret scrimmages open to reporters.

Ekrub
11-02-2014, 01:34 PM
NCAA gave the okay to report on them or something. Don't know how goodman got access to info, I'm assuming the coaches

primal23
11-02-2014, 02:12 PM
After watching yesterday's game, I worry how the guys will look against Texas.

ZAGGED OUT
11-02-2014, 02:40 PM
After watching yesterday's game, I worry how the guys will look against Texas.

I don't. Not one bit. Keep in mind we were giving a lot of run and ball usage to guys who won't see as much when it counts. I loved what I saw overall yesterday outside of the missed FT's. The defense will come around.

Oregonzagnut
11-02-2014, 03:53 PM
So it wasn't secret?

After all these years I'm having trouble grasping the idea of secret scrimmages open to reporters.

Personally, I can't grasp how the NCAA can restrict anyone from viewing if the schools want it to be viewed. The fact is not many teams want open viewing of practices because your rivals and opponents will see too much just by walking right in through the front door. Teams already need practices to be restricted and the NCAA is overstepping its jurisdiction IMO. Also the NCAA bylaws state our practice scrimmage as both an official "practice" and an informal, unofficial "contest" by the NCAA's own definitions. The NCAA doesn't/can't restrict the public from viewing the regular scheduled practices during the season at any NCAA university regardless of the division. Same goes with a joint practice between other distinct and unrelated institutions. If Gonzaga and Texas want to cover the costs of the facility in Phoenix, or they want to allow texas or Gonzaga students or alumni to view they should have that right. If both Texas and Gonzaga agree to the terms on pubic viewing or closed circuit viewing, then why not? The masses who reside in western civilization have lost touch with what our constitutional and human rights really are and how millions of people have fought and died for these inalienable rights.

I think 99% of the teams don't want the distraction during practices anyway. So I see very few situations where spectators would not hinder a real practice and coaches absolutely do not want to share proprietary info with anyone. And I would bet my salary that Mark Few and Rick Barnes don't share everything they know with each other. No way. The NCAA already puts reasonable limitations on practices and teams already make sure they comply with rules like number of hours of practice, no missing classes or conflicts with class schedules, and of course all the off season rules on practices.

Most of the NCAA rules are valid and the NCAA as an authority and ruling body is vital to fairness and integrity. But the NCAA oversteps some constitutional and human rights of every student athlete adult as US citizens. At least in my opinion. No one can legally violate other peoples human rights just to promote a special interest or to promote their opinion of how they think something should be for everyone else.

As a side topic analogy, the UK is trying to pass a law making it illegal to criticize Islamic sharia law and gay marriage. Where does this insane illogic come from? How is it that supposedly educated and progressive people suddenly think that freedom of speech (civilized debate) and freedom to assemble (safely and organized) is not important anymore? Its like the masses will give up their human rights indefinitely if they are not using it at this point in their lives. Using that logic those same people should never save money and should give all money they are not using to the politicians, police and military.

KStyles
11-02-2014, 07:24 PM
But the NCAA oversteps some constitutional and human rights of every student athlete adult as US citizens. At least in my opinion. No one can legally violate other peoples human rights just to promote a special interest or to promote their opinion of how they think something should be for everyone else.

They don't. Gonzaga chooses to be part of the NCAA, and the players choose to be a part of the team, either can disassociate themselves at any time.

Edit: Not that it matters, but not all student athletes (including a few guys on the GU squad) are US citizens.

Oregonzagnut
11-03-2014, 09:02 PM
They don't. Gonzaga chooses to be part of the NCAA, and the players choose to be a part of the team, either can disassociate themselves at any time.

Edit: Not that it matters, but not all student athletes (including a few guys on the GU squad) are US citizens.

IMO they do violate the student athletes rights, and I am not the only one who feels that way either..the NCAA has illegally restricted the student athletes for decades. Just take a look at the 14th amendment and especially the due process clause within and you will see that the NCAA just ignores the due process from the constitution but it is key in both the 5th and 14 amendments. Also take note that the NCAA was found guilty of federal anti-trust laws and IMO the NCAA should have been forced to back pay athletes who are still living and there are mass human rights violations when the NCAA passed its own laws to basically blackmail students into joining the NCAA and Div 1 universities saying "You cannot play collegiate ball if you ever played professionally for money. allow the media and uniersities to siphon all money away from their work, and the last people to see a dime are the athletes. issued an injunction blocking the rules which bar the sharing of revenue with athletes.

You are right, it doesn't matter that several of our players aren't US citizens. I think all players should get a % of the profit their team earns each year they play, even foreigners. the fact is, originally the NCAA had good intentions of protecting the athletes from outside corrupting forces, like boosters, media influences and corporate money. But I see no reason for the NCAA to insist that the concept of "amateur" status is worth coercing and abusing the students they originally tried to protect. The NCAA spends considerable effort make sure student athletes don't get anything except for the scholarship they receive from the university. In restricting the money from the students who are doing the work and providing the entertainment, the NCAA merely re-directs the flow of money to the media and sporting goods corporations by claiming (falsely) that amateur status is still the cornerstone of collegiate athletics. I will not accept that programs like Duke, UCLA, Kentucky and Gonzaga are amateur programs, no Div 1 schools are amateur. the sports programs and brand recognition is a business and is so profitable that the only amateurs are the students and the rest laugh all the way to the bank off the extortion.

H.S. students have been blackmailed for decades under a false premiss they can throw away your basketball talent and years of hard work , all for the simple reason corporations and universities wanted all the money. Student athletes were blackmailed by the NCAA who deliberately built a system that did not allow athletes any % of revenue, but also created punishments and career ending consequences for infractions arbitrarily applied to the entire global population if anyone wanted to play in any NCAA sponsored Divisions.