PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Polls

exclusivelee
10-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Zags #13 in USA Today Preseason Coaches Poll:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/2014/1/

Non Conf Opponents: Arizona #2, SMU #22, Memphis #31, Minnesota #32, UCLA #33, Saint Mary's #48

Ebay
10-16-2014, 08:30 AM
St. Mary's with 1 vote. Barf. Wonder which coach put them on his list...

DarkZagRises
10-16-2014, 08:51 AM
I am so tired of seeing Wichita's name above ours. Hope they implode this season. Yes I have venom for that team. Was so happy to see them lose to Kentucky. Just or not I enjoyed it.

ZAGGED OUT
10-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Had UK picked over them last year. One of my most confident picks. We'll be above them soon enough, this team has so much more potential than just #13, just gotta put it together!

hooter73
10-16-2014, 09:21 AM
until everyone plays their first game, I think we're pretty well where we should be. Top ten, sure, but I couldnt tell you which two or three or fours teams to kick out to put us there.

ZAGGED OUT
10-16-2014, 09:28 AM
I'm not saying we deserve it right now, just that I believe we have the talent to be top 10

Zag_Dad
10-16-2014, 09:33 AM

I love to hate Saint Mary's... In the end this is very good for our conference to have them receiving votes. They picked up a couple of graduate transfers that could make them competitive this year. Gonzaga has owned them ever since they borrowed the WCC crown from us for a season.
The one thing that makes it difficult for Gonzaga to recruit is our conference. The fact that teams like BYU and SMC are getting national attention is very good for us. Bring it on...

GO ZAGS

seacatfan
10-16-2014, 09:45 AM
WCC with exactly the same number of teams in the top 25 as the Pac 12. Interesting. San Diego St. has become fairly much a fixture in the top 25. Syracuse seems kinda low for a program that's often in the top 10 and I don't think they're in total rebuild mode. Preseason polls are good conversation starters but otherwise fairly worthless. Let's start playing some games and see for real how good teams are!

Zaga
10-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Randy Bennett

Reborn
10-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Every team ahead of Gonzaga has a very good team, and all of the teams behind us in the top 25 have very good teams this year. I'm quite happy to be where we are right now. It's a good place to start.

MDABE80
10-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I agree. Looking at the teams ahead of us, I'd be hard pressed to move us up......although.......TX should be behind us. We prove ourselves on the court. We win, we rise. We lose, we don't rise. SImple.
I am thinking that if Kyle Wiltjer and Sabonis really step it up ( Few's got high hopes for Domas and he thinks Domas is a very high end player), we'll be top 10 soon. We'll know more when the OOC is completed. I'm thinking the guard core is so amazing this year, the only issue is getting these kids to play with each other as a team. I think this will be a spectacular team.

zagfan24
10-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Every team ahead of Gonzaga has a very good team, and all of the teams behind us in the top 25 have very good teams this year. I'm quite happy to be where we are right now. It's a good place to start.

Agree 100%. A ranking isn't a measure of the quality of a team in a vacuum, but rather how a team compares to the other 300+ teams across the nation. There are some very high quality squads out there this year, and while this is one of the most loaded Zag teams in a while, there will be plenty of competition for the top spots. Most important, IMO, is to be one of the top 16 teams as judged by the committee and get a top 4 seed come March.

Bogozags
10-16-2014, 12:34 PM
+1

maynard g krebs
10-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I love to hate Saint Mary's... In the end this is very good for our conference to have them receiving votes. They picked up a couple of graduate transfers that could make them competitive this year. Gonzaga has owned them ever since they borrowed the WCC crown from us for a season.
The one thing that makes it difficult for Gonzaga to recruit is our conference. The fact that teams like BYU and SMC are getting national attention is very good for us. Bring it on...

GO ZAGS

Agree with everything but the first sentence. I actually like them and root for them almost every time they aren't playing the Zags. Their guard play, year after year, is a treat to watch.

I can't hate them because they're like the annoying little brother that's just good enough to beat you on occasion. I prefer to hate the likes of Kentucky, i.e. the big business approach to basketball.

Kiddwell
10-16-2014, 02:15 PM
If UCLA is somewhere near the 33rd best team, and if we really are somewhere near the 13th best team, it would be absolutely intolerable to lose to the Spewin's. One giant wound would reopen, spilling Kiddwell's blood and guts anew all over the living room carpet.

We better pound those punks silly. Grrr. :boxing:

:[

Zag_Dad
10-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Agree with everything but the first sentence. I actually like them and root for them almost every time they aren't playing the Zags. Their guard play, year after year, is a treat to watch.

I can't hate them because they're like the annoying little brother that's just good enough to beat you on occasion. I prefer to hate the likes of Kentucky, i.e. the big business approach to basketball.

I think we're on the same page.... I love to "hate" them the same way I would "hate" a younger, annoying sibling. One of my favorite players ever from the WCC (not wearing GU jersey) was Dellavadova! Before him was Patty Mills - but for a broken wrist, he may have led the Gaels to a WCC title. In any event.... it's a great rivalry and I want the to do well every time they aren't playing Gonzaga.

GO ZAGS

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-20-2014, 12:37 PM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/report-smus-markus-kennedy-currently-not-eligible-to-play-this-season.html/

Reborn
10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I agree. Looking at the teams ahead of us, I'd be hard pressed to move us up......although.......TX should be behind us. We prove ourselves on the court. We win, we rise. We lose, we don't rise. SImple.
I am thinking that if Kyle Wiltjer and Sabonis really step it up ( Few's got high hopes for Domas and he thinks Domas is a very high end player), we'll be top 10 soon. We'll know more when the OOC is completed. I'm thinking the guard core is so amazing this year, the only issue is getting these kids to play with each other as a team. I think this will be a spectacular team.

Yeah! There really isn't any hurry. It's a long season. The important thing is to finish in the top 10 by the end of the year. The important thing is to play well. And don't lose to teams we should beat.

sittingon50
10-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbbok: (got my copy Friday)

Zags #9

Arizona #2

Texas #12

SMU #19

Oklahoma #25

Tyler Haws 3rd team AA, Kevin Pangos 4th team AA.

"We're really deep, that's for sure," Few said. "We've got 2 guys, at a minimum, at every spot, and that's a good thing-2 guys that can play."

"Gosh, we've got size, we've got experience in the backcourt," Few said. "We have skilled guys. We've got guys that can shoot it. We've added a couple of athletes...The sky's the limit, especially if we could absolutely max out our potential like last year's team."

VaBeachZAG
10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbbok: (got my copy Friday)

Zags #9

Arizona #2

Texas #12

SMU #19

Oklahoma #25

Tyler Haws 3rd team AA, Kevin Pangos 4th team AA.

"We're really deep, that's for sure," Few said. "We've got 2 guys, at a minimum, at every spot, and that's a good thing-2 guys that can play."

"Gosh, we've got size, we've got experience in the backcourt," Few said. "We have skilled guys. We've got guys that can shoot it. We've added a couple of athletes...The sky's the limit, especially if we could absolutely max out our potential like last year's team."

"The sky's the limit..."

Okay who is this Mark Few imposter and where is the real Few? This year he really seems to be out on a thin limb with all this aggressively positive talk. This is very unlike his typical measured and conservative comments leading up to seasons past. If I didn't know better, I would think his motive for doing this is to intentionally put a ton of pressure on both the coaches and players to really ramp up their collective efforts this season (i.e., psychological word games?). Or, alternatively maybe, just maybe, he genuinely believes this is his best team ever (contrary to his past statements of denial to the press) and presents the best chance in years (past, present or future) to make some huge noise in the tournament. Very interesting to say the least!

maynard g krebs
10-20-2014, 10:19 PM
"The sky's the limit..."

Okay who is this Mark Few imposter and where is the real Few? This year he really seems to be out on a thin limb with all this aggressively positive talk. This is very unlike his typical measured and conservative comments leading up to seasons past. If I didn't know better, I would think his motive for doing this is to intentionally put a ton of pressure on both the coaches and players to really ramp up their collective efforts this season (i.e., psychological word games?). Or, alternatively maybe, just maybe, he genuinely believes this is his best team ever (contrary to his past statements of denial to the press) and presents the best chance in years (past, present or future) to make some huge noise in the tournament. Very interesting to say the least!

I've always seen Few as pretty straightforward in his comments. Most Zag teams have had limitations somewhere (lack of scoring at the 1 or 3, lack of size/athleticism on the wing defensively etc), and his comments reflect that. He's never before had a roster with this combination of size, skill, athleticism and passing and shooting ability, and I think his comments simply reflect that. I don't think he's big on psychological word games.

An example of why I think he just says what he thinks comes from the Fresno game a decade ago when they had a couple of NBA caliber bigs, and someone told him he needed to slow it down to have a chance. He said something like, "what are you talking about? We're gonna run it right down their throats." (Zags won 87-77) Hardly measured and cautious in that instance.

Baseline
10-20-2014, 10:34 PM
I think what we are seeing with this is growth in Few. I'm sure he has realized it will take a different effort to get to the next level. In previous years he was conservative as that was the best odds, this year he sees and opening and is going for it. I applaud his thinking and back him 100%.

cggonzaga
10-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Zags at 9 to start off the season is much closer to the truth. This is a top 5 team all season long.

VaBeachZAG
10-21-2014, 05:10 AM
An example of why I think he just says what he thinks comes from the Fresno game a decade ago when they had a couple of NBA caliber bigs, and someone told him he needed to slow it down to have a chance. He said something like, "what are you talking about? We're gonna run it right down their throats." (Zags won 87-77) Hardly measured and cautious in that instance.

I remember Few making that statement like it was yesterday. I also remember the great game our bigs had as well (Violet and Mallon). Mallon was incredibly good against Fresno and his long flowing hair was quite a sight as well. Even Tarkanian had big words of praise for both Violet and Mallon after that game.

Reborn
10-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Few's words certainly bring hope, and lots of it.

maynard g krebs
10-21-2014, 09:55 AM
I remember Few making that statement like it was yesterday. I also remember the great game our bigs had as well (Violet and Mallon). Mallon was incredibly good against Fresno and his long flowing hair was quite a sight as well. Even Tarkanian had big words of praise for both Violet and Mallon after that game.

Violette and Gourde, I believe.

seacatfan
10-21-2014, 10:17 AM

They were a nice pair at the 4/5. I watched them beat the crap out of UW one year at Hec Ed when the Huskies had a handful of players between 6-9 to 7-0. They looked like basketball players, but Violette and Gourde just owned them in the paint.

DixieZag
10-21-2014, 04:49 PM

I think that is exactly right - the little brother analogy. Big brothers get to kick the little brother's aszes around but don't like anyone else doing it.

DixieZag
10-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I've always seen Few as pretty straightforward in his comments. Most Zag teams have had limitations somewhere (lack of scoring at the 1 or 3, lack of size/athleticism on the wing defensively etc), and his comments reflect that. He's never before had a roster with this combination of size, skill, athleticism and passing and shooting ability, and I think his comments simply reflect that. I don't think he's big on psychological word games.

I think you're exactly right and exactly what one would expect from a minister's kid. Be modest but also tell the truth.

VaBeachZAG
10-21-2014, 05:38 PM

You are correct sir. Whatever Gourde had in that game I wish he could have kept it and built on it into later years. But, alas, it was not to be.

zagfan24
10-27-2014, 07:32 AM
#13 per ESPN's Power Rankings

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11754505/college-basketball-top-25-power-rankings

WBM
10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
#13 per ESPN's Power Rankings

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11754505/college-basketball-top-25-power-rankings

Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg talk (mostly fluff) about G.U.'s ranking at #13

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11746754&ex_cid=espnapi_public

75Zag
10-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I kind of like GU starting at #13. I believe they will climb to #6 position by the end of the GU OOC schedule. Whether they can rise or fall after that depends a lot on how other teams in the power conferences do, and whether GU experiences one of their unfortunate mind-melts and loses to Portland or whoever. Hopefully that will not happen this year.

Go Bulldogs!

Mantua
10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Andy Katz and Seth Greenberg talk (mostly fluff) about G.U.'s ranking at #13

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11746754&ex_cid=espnapi_public

Greenberg is a bit off on his assessment of Domas. He doesn't see the physicality and eagerness to bang in the post. I have just heard reports that DS is working on his outside shot. I'm convinced that his inside play is going to shock early opponents. I like his relentlessness. Silas remains under the radar as well as the overall maturity of the Frosh.

One thing they got right in the article was the problem of having so much talent - so many gifts, so few minutes.

I'd love to see an all dunking unit on the floor just once!

WBM
10-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Greenberg is a bit off on his assessment of Domas. He doesn't see the physicality and eagerness to bang in the post. I have just heard reports that DS is working on his outside shot. I'm convinced that his inside play is going to shock early opponents. I like his relentlessness. Silas remains under the radar as well as the overall maturity of the Frosh.

One thing they got right in the article was the problem of having so much talent - so many gifts, so few minutes.

I'd love to see an all dunking unit on the floor just once!

I agree with that. Sabonis was really going at it in the post, and I don't think I saw him attempt any jumpers in the scrimmage, so it'll be interesting to see how that develops. He also had an impressive sense of urgency on the boards, which I think is a major opportunity area for improvement over last year.
As for the "all dunking unit" I'd just like to see some more athletic play. Give us an 'oop once in a while!

cggonzaga
10-27-2014, 02:00 PM
After watching Sabonis bang with and back in Karno at Kraziness I'd say he's going to be plenty physical. I had high expectations for him before....now they're through the roof.

On a side note, while everybody is very excited about Melson (me included), the freshman guard to watch is Perkins. I see Perks getting 15-20mpg. I don't think he will but I almost wish Melson would redshirt. I just don't see where he'll get his minutes between Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Dranginis and Perkins (and McClellan midseason. That guy is a jet btw.). Again, don't get me wrong, I love Melson and think he'll lead us in scoring in a year or two but right now it's going to be awfully tough to break into that rotation.

Mantua
10-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Yes, the depth is a problem...until the NCAA Tournament. Then it's the best insurance we've ever had. I'm not particularly keen on building a team just for March, but if we do make a deep run, I'm sure everyone wants to be a part of that...so who wants to redshirt looking at the possibility of riding a big wave?

maynard g krebs
10-27-2014, 03:03 PM
while everybody is very excited about Melson (me included), the freshman guard to watch is Perkins.

+1.

Zags_Fanatic
10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Interesting that Gottlieb has GU in his Top 5, maybe it just took one more win against Oklahoma State to convince him...

Seriously though, he always seems a bit hesitant on the Zags but that is the highest I have seen them ranked this season.

Reborn
10-27-2014, 05:02 PM
I kind of like GU starting at #13. I believe they will climb to #6 position by the end of the GU OOC schedule. Whether they can rise or fall after that depends a lot on how other teams in the power conferences do, and whether GU experiences one of their unfortunate mind-melts and loses to Portland or whoever. Hopefully that will not happen this year.

Go Bulldogs!

Rarely have I seen a team go down in the polls if they DON'T LOSE.

VinnyZag
10-28-2014, 06:46 PM
18th in the initial KenPom projections (http://kenpom.com), though with the caveat that he doesn't really take into account (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/preseason_ratings_2015) transfers.

jchocolate99
10-28-2014, 07:29 PM
. I don't think he will but I almost wish Melson would redshirt.

Naw Melson doesn't need to redshirt. From reports from the coaches he's been outstanding in practice. He and Sabonis have been getting the most mention from the coaches. He'll get his minutes subbing in for Bell plus he needs to be playing this year to get experience since him and Perkins will be taking over the 1 and 2 positions next year.

seacatfan
10-28-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm not particularly keen on building a team just for March

Ideally you develop a team throughout the season so that it peaks in March. The GU program obviously knows how to produce teams that win the WCC. I wouldn't mind seeing a change in mindset and have some urgency for doing something in the post season. Some of the comments Few has made recently make me think he's approaching this season a little differently. I like it.

Kiddwell
10-29-2014, 11:33 AM
18th in the initial KenPom projections (http://kenpom.com), though with the caveat that he doesn't really take into account (http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/preseason_ratings_2015) transfers.

Thanks, Vinny, for the link.

Assuming I copied the numbers correctly, this is sort of interesting:

Arizona/5 -- Saint Joe's/90 -- LMU/206
UCLA/13 -- USF/100 -- Seattle/210
GU/18 -- USD/117 -- Cal Poly/217
Memphis/27 -- Portland/121 -- Oregon State/227
SMU/36 -- SCU/129
Saint John's/39 -- WSU/145
BYU/43 -- Pepp/176
UWKFC/59 -- Pacific/200
SMC/80 -- Eastern Washington/201

Is Oregon State really that terrible? (Forgot: Minnesota/37 and Georgia/48)

:]

seacatfan
10-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Is Oregon State really that terrible?

:]

Remains to be seen, but they very well could be. Mediocre at best team last year that got absolutely gutted with graduations, declaring for the draft and transfers. Not much to work with for the new coaching staff in year 1. Leading returning scorer averaged 4 ppg last year I think. Help is coming in the 2015 class but it will probably be a very long season in Corvallis. Should be an exciting battle (sarcasm) between OSU and WSU for the Pac 12 cellar.

amaronizag
10-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Since there are no data for the current season, Ken Pom's preseason rankings are based entirely on last years numbers. If you search his blog, you will find a detailed explanation for how he arrives at his preseason predictions.

exclusivelee
10-31-2014, 07:47 AM
AP Poll: Zags #13

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Arizona #2, SMU #22

exclusivelee
10-31-2014, 08:28 AM
GU was as high as #7 in the AP Poll by Ron Morris. Aaron Brenner did not rank GU...

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/gu2/2014

Other GU opponents receiving votes UCLA #30, Minnesota (Preseason NIT), Memphis #35, BYU #48

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/

bigblahla
10-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Here ya go "50"...Zags at #9..

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/10040

Go!! Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
10-31-2014, 09:50 AM
GU was as high as #7 in the AP Poll by Ron Morris. Aaron Brenner did not rank GU...

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/team/gu2/2014

Other GU opponents receiving votes UCLA #30, Minnesota (Preseason NIT), Memphis #35, BYU #48

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/

Aaron Brenner is a loser (it seems) his poll is garbage IMO.

The only one to Rank Baylor, and he has Oklahoma in his poll? Oklahoma? How many times does Gonzaga have to beat a team from Oklahoma? Iowa and Dayton are also ranked in his poll which is laughable.

Looks like we will have to beat his #13 SMU Mustangs and make a quick move on his polls.