PDA

View Full Version : How would you fix the Fedex Cup?

former1dog
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
First year and all, the kinks need to be ironed out.

Personally, I think its pretty exciting drama for golf. I would definitely like the tour to work out making sure all of the principles play in all of the events.

If I were in a position to make recommendations, I would either shorten the playoffs to few tournaments OR stretch the amount of time they are played over.

I would also make sure the penalty for skipping a portion of the playoffs would make that individual incapable of winning the whole enchilada.

a13coach
09-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Does it need fixing? Why penalize for skipping? The alternative to skipping would be to show up and basically play a couple of relaxing practice rounds and not be serious about contending. If for example Tiger was required to play the first event but he really did not want to, he could have shown up taken it easy, miss the cut, and he is home relaxing anyway- with the same points hit. Now by Tiger skipping the event did he open up a spot for someone on the bubble? I view the chance to skip a playoff event and still have a chance to winning the whole thing kind of like earning a bye for the body of work you did all season long.

But I agree that the FedEx cup does make the end of the golfing season more dramatic.

Edit:After reading the rules more thoroughly I think Tiger would need to make the cut in order to continue, but still he could play just well enough to make the cut and then "tank" it.
Re-edit: not sure if that is true, will dig deeper.

former1dog
09-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Why penalize for skipping?

Not fond of the concept of "skipping" in a playoff format.

The Yankee's don't get to skip the 1st game of the ALCS.

The Spurs don't get to skip the 3rd game of the 2nd round playoff series.

Roger Federer didn't get to skip the round of 16 at Wimbledon.

You get the point, I'm sure.

All that said, I get why Tiger wanted to skip the first tournament, and to a lesser degree, why Mickelson skipped this past weekend. Of all people, Johnny Miller backed up the fatigue argument in his Golf Digest Column this month. Which is why a shorter playoff format or a one spread out over more time might make sense.

I think most of the players think the bonus payout to their pensions is kinda lame, also. I happen to think that bonus method is just fine, personally.

a13coach
09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Not fond of the concept of "skipping" in a playoff format.

The Yankee's don't get to skip the 1st game of the ALCS.

The Spurs don't get to skip the 3rd game of the 2nd round playoff series.

Roger Federer didn't get to skip the round of 16 at Wimbledon.

You get the point, I'm sure.

All that said, I get why Tiger wanted to skip the first tournament, and to a lesser degree, why Mickelson skipped this past weekend. Of all people, Johnny Miller backed up the fatigue argument in his Golf Digest Column this month. Which is why a shorter playoff format or a one spread out over more time might make sense.

I think most of the players think the bonus payout to their pensions is kinda lame, also. I happen to think that bonus method is just fine, personally.

I see how you were/are viewing it.
I looked at like GU getting to skip the first round of the WCC tourney, or the top NFL teams getting a bye the first week of the playoffs.
But yes stretching them out may help avoid that, but I am still a fan of getting rewarded some way for the body of work for the "regular" season.
If those players don't like that bonus payout they can just sent it to me. :D

former1dog
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Perhaps a bye should be awarded?

That might make a lot of sense.

The body of work is awarded somewhat by the current system.

Players gather points throughout the year for their play. Those points rank them 1 through whatever. The top 144 point getters make the playoffs. At the start of the playoffs the points are reset but the reset gives 100,000 points to player ranked #1, an increment less for player #2 and so on and so forth... Which is why Tiger could "afford" to skip the first tourney and not lose too much ground to the field.

a13coach
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Just imagine if Tiger did play in the first event and finished in the top 10, and then performed like he did the last 2 weeks. It would pretty much be a run-away coming into the last weekend. :)

former1dog
09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Just imagine if Tiger did play in the first event and finished in the top 10, and then performed like he did the last 2 weeks. It would pretty much be a run-away coming into the last weekend. :)

Ain't that the truth.

Steve Stricker is playing like he's possessed. Very fun to watch.

mtzaga
09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I would cut the field in half after each week. 144, 72, 36, etc. I would not reset the points so closely after the regular season...players that win majors and/or multiple winners should get rewarded for doing so. I would stretch it out a few weeks...the PGA, a WGC event, 4 Fed Ex Cup tourneys and the Presidents Cup is a lot of golf. For this week, I would move the tourney to Sugarloaf or some other course. It will be interesting to see how bad East Lake's greens are.