View Full Version : Stockton Signs with the Wizards

Angelo Roncalli
09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
September 29, 2013
Gonzaga University Sports Information
For Immediate Release

Stockton signs with NBA’s Wizards
Guard David Stockton averaged 7.4 points and 4.2 assists as a senior at GU

SPOKANE, Wash. – Former Gonzaga point guard David Stockton signed with the NBA’s Washington Wizards, president Ernie Grunfeld announced on Monday. Stockton is one of 20 players on the Wizards roster heading into training camp.

Stockton, who went undrafted this spring, is coming off a senior season which featured career-highs of 7.4 points per game and 4.2 assists per game for a Gonzaga squad that finished the season with a 29-7 record. He helped lead the Zags to the West Coast Conference regular season and tournament titles three times during his four years in uniform, as well as four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances.

Stockton becomes the fifth former Gonzaga basketball player on a current NBA roster, and the 10th NBAer under head coach Mark Few. Austin Daye (San Antonio Spurs), Kelly Olynyk (Boston Celtics), Robert Sacre (Los Angeles Lakers) and Ronny Turiaf (Minnesota Timberwolves) are all currently in the NBA.

Overall, Stockton is the 12th GU player to sign with an NBA team, including his father, Gonzaga great John Stockton, who played for the Bulldogs from 1981-84 and went on to become an NBA Hall of Famer after 19 seasons with the Utah Jazz.

David Stockton was one of six players signed to the Washington Wizards roster on Monday.

Blackbeard
09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
what does this all mean? I'm not familiar with the NBA's roster size requirements preseason. Is this something to be proud of or is this just a warm body to practice against before the roster cuts happen.

Edit: I looked up the league size requirements and each team must have a maximum of 12 active players at start of season. Based on a roster of 20 people on the Wizards right now, it will be tough for him. Regardless, good for him.

BTB
09-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Wow awesome for David! Whether he can stick around is a whole other question, but for now David continues to shatter any and all of the bets placed against, no matter how monumental the odds. I've thought it was possible for him to play in the NBA for three seasons now, and I'm certainly not going to start betting against him now! Keep it up David!!

zag buddy
09-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Outstanding!!!!! What do all you na-sayers I have been reading the last 4 years have to say. Hopefully give credit where credit is due and earned. Good Luck David.

hooter73
09-29-2014, 06:05 PM
holy cow good for him!

MDABE80
09-29-2014, 07:41 PM
David knows the science of basketball. His performance, despite his size, is now catching up. Good for him. He's much better now than he was in his best year of college. Hope he sticks.

Malastein
09-29-2014, 10:23 PM
I'll be shocked if he sticks, but strand things happen. He'll be able to make money playing ball in Europe. Wish he were a better shooter!

DADoZAG
09-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Outstanding!!!!! What do all you na-sayers I have been reading the last 4 years have to say. Hopefully give credit where credit is due and earned. Good Luck David.

Gladly.

Congrats to the young man!

Go ZAGS!

bigblahla
09-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Sometimes it is the size of the fight in the dog...........Stocks knows how to play the game.....wish you the best young man.

Go!! Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
10-08-2014, 10:41 PM
I find this extremely satisfying and completely backs up my statements that no one can ever say "impossible". I for one didn't think he would make it, but I also routinely had to defend my opinion that Stockton can make the NBA if he focuses on being a true PG whose 1st and 2nd options are to pass, not score.

If Stockton sticks to his strengths, like running the offense and dishing dimes instead of scoring, he may have some time to increase his speed and strength to compliment his experience and IQ.

timgozags
10-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Wizards waive Vander Blue and David Stockton

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/10/04/wizards-waive-vander-blue-and-david-stockton/