PDA

View Full Version : Coleman: Anyone Care to Shed Some Light on This Shade?

thegloriousgoateeofKP
09-11-2014, 09:26 PM
What does he mean?

https://twitter.com/GregTalbott/status/510258076939608064

Zags11
09-11-2014, 11:29 PM
He wasnt happy with his pt.

Reborn
09-12-2014, 05:36 AM
Gerald Coleman did not fit into Mark Few's system. It was plain to see. He was obviously unhappy. I sure could see it. This does raise a very good question about tranfers in general. Will transfers fit into Mark Few's system? Dan Dickau did. Micah Downs did. Coleman did not. I feel that Nunez is fitting in. He has stuck with Gonzaga and that shows me his desire to learn how to play for Mark Few. We have three new transfers on the team this year: Wiltjer, Wesley and McLellan. How will these guys fit in with the Zags who are returning: Pangos, Bell, Karnowski, Dranginis, and Nunez. I think that Kyle Wiltjer has the best chance of fitting in because he has been with the Zags for a full year now, as he learned Mark Few's systems. He knows what Coach Few wants out of him, and Few knows Kyle Wiltjer's talent and how he can help the team. Wiltjer will be replacing Sam Dower, and I think that they have very similar games. The transition from Dower to Wiltjer should be smooth.
I think the biggest question is, how will Byron Wesley fit in? He was the leading scorer for USC. Is he coming to Gonzaga thinking he will be the leading scorer here as well? I wonder how quickly he can learn Mark Few's systems. Wesley will be up against Kyle Dranginis who is a proven Zag. He's been with the team two years now and know's what's expected of him. I think most fans feel that Kyle has been coming along real well, and if he beats out Wesley, how will Wesley handle it? And what about McLellan? I know so little about him, but I believe I have read that he is a good defensive player, and I think that that is a plus. I believe that Few wants his bench players to play very good defense, as well as being a good role player. McLellan could be that kind of player. And I believe that the reason that Coleman never got the playing time he wanted was because he could not do either. He was NOT a good defensive player, and was not playing D as a team player. And I think the same could be said about his offense. He had good moments both offensively and defensively, but overall he never played as a team player, and that hurt him. My guess is that Wesley will be much better than Coleman. At least I hope so.
The toughest thing for Zag fans is that we haven't seen the transfers play in a Zag uniform; so all of our predictions must be taken with a grain of salt. We will not really know about the Zags until we begin to see them play. Neither Wesley or McLellan played summer ball with the Zags this summer, and I can not see how that will help either of them. The more I think about it, I can't really see how Wesley will start at the beginning of the season. One good question is how good is Alberts? He is 6' 5" tall, weighs 200 pounds. He has been playing with the Zags on campus for a long time. I would guess he knows more then both Wesley and McLellan. Anyway, so as much as I have predicted a great season, I have done so without really knowing how the minutes will be distributed among the new players, what their roles will be on the team, and how THEY adjust to their roles. Honestly, it certainly could take time for this to be worked out. It could take time for the team to become cohesive, and demonstrate a high level of team chemistry.
To start the year off we could see Pangos, Bell, PK, Dranginis and Wiltjer getting most of the minutes. We could even see Nunez getting most of the minutes off the bench at the four. And who knows, maybe Connor Griffin get the most minutes off the bench at the 3, or small forward, position. There is so much to learn about this team as we go forward toward the first game.

LongIslandZagFan
09-12-2014, 05:43 AM
He wasnt happy with his pt.

Think this and the fact that he couldn't even make an effort to work within the system lead to the limited PT and bitterness.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
09-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Gerald Coleman did not fit into Mark Few's system. It was plain to see. He was obviously unhappy. I sure could see it. This does raise a very good question about tranfers in general. Will transfers fit into Mark Few's system? Dan Dickau did. Micah Downs did. Coleman did not. I feel that Nunez is fitting in. He has stuck with Gonzaga and that shows me his desire to learn how to play for Mark Few. We have three new transfers on the team this year: Wiltjer, Wesley and McLellan. How will these guys fit in with the Zags who are returning: Pangos, Bell, Karnowski, Dranginis, and Nunez. I think that Kyle Wiltjer has the best chance of fitting in because he has been with the Zags for a full year now, as he learned Mark Few's systems. He knows what Coach Few wants out of him, and Few knows Kyle Wiltjer's talent and how he can help the team. Wiltjer will be replacing Sam Dower, and I think that they have very similar games. The transition from Dower to Wiltjer should be smooth.
I think the biggest question is, how will Byron Wesley fit in? He was the leading scorer for USC. Is he coming to Gonzaga thinking he will be the leading scorer here as well? I wonder how quickly he can learn Mark Few's systems. Wesley will be up against Kyle Dranginis who is a proven Zag. He's been with the team two years now and know's what's expected of him. I think most fans feel that Kyle has been coming along real well, and if he beats out Wesley, how will Wesley handle it? And what about McLellan? I know so little about him, but I believe I have read that he is a good defensive player, and I think that that is a plus. I believe that Few wants his bench players to play very good defense, as well as being a good role player. McLellan could be that kind of player. And I believe that the reason that Coleman never got the playing time he wanted was because he could not do either. He was NOT a good defensive player, and was not playing D as a team player. And I think the same could be said about his offense. He had good moments both offensively and defensively, but overall he never played as a team player, and that hurt him. My guess is that Wesley will be much better than Coleman. At least I hope so.
The toughest thing for Zag fans is that we haven't seen the transfers play in a Zag uniform; so all of our predictions must be taken with a grain of salt. We will not really know about the Zags until we begin to see them play. Neither Wesley or McLellan played summer ball with the Zags this summer, and I can not see how that will help either of them. The more I think about it, I can't really see how Wesley will start at the beginning of the season. One good question is how good is Alberts? He is 6' 5" tall, weighs 200 pounds. He has been playing with the Zags on campus for a long time. I would guess he knows more then both Wesley and McLellan. Anyway, so as much as I have predicted a great season, I have done so without really knowing how the minutes will be distributed among the new players, what their roles will be on the team, and how THEY adjust to their roles. Honestly, it certainly could take time for this to be worked out. It could take time for the team to become cohesive, and demonstrate a high level of team chemistry.
To start the year off we could see Pangos, Bell, PK, Dranginis and Wiltjer getting most of the minutes. We could even see Nunez getting most of the minutes off the bench at the four. And who knows, maybe Connor Griffin get the most minutes off the bench at the 3, or small forward, position. There is so much to learn about this team as we go forward toward the first game.

I know BW worked hard on his body and game in the off season which included playing some fairly competitive hoops. KD looks like he will be great shape coming into the season. Do you get the vibe that KD works hard on his game in the off season? I can't say definitively one way or the other but I know BW is very attached to the game (puts in the work). My guess is Wesley will be a huge addition for the Zags and turn into 1 of the 3 or 4 Alpha players.

As to GC. Coleman thought he should have taken some of Stockton's minutes. I know this through a UConn transfer that is also from Mass that I used to text with occasionally. This source is pretty much a jerk in general so take that for what it is. It appeared team chemistry last year was not that great. As Kevin Ollie says "Everyone needs to have Ten Toes in". Basically the ship will sink otherwise. I think this team is baggage free on several fronts.

Also I never really agree on a "system" that is not flexible enough to adapt to your personnel. "System" seems so vague and nondescript doesn't it? I have a gut feeling we are going to have good team chemistry this year. Coach Few & Co. landed three key transfers that will be playing this year so the Coleman debacle did not act as a barrier. I think we are going to see A LOT of Sabonis this year. That should be a good thing. :)

LongIslandZagFan
09-12-2014, 08:01 AM
I think with Ammo, Few showed the system is flexible. But it is flexible to a point. If you don't have the skill set to work within the system at all... it just isn't going to work.

hooter73
09-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Twitter responses are not going how he thought they would. A smack to reality is never all that fun.

TheGonzagaFactor
09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Coleman is a one trick pony. All he had at GU was the selfish 1-on-3 or 4 in transition. He had a year to adapt to the system and work on his game. and it sure appeared that he either didn't put in the work or didn't have the capability to expand his game. He just didn't fit in and it wasn't necessarily his fault. Coleman is more of a one on one player than a team player, which works in some systems but not ours. We saw it last year with Nunez too. He would try to go one on three in the half court and take a bad shot or turn it over. I think there is far more hope for Nunez than there ever was for Coleman, but the point is the same. I think there is a risk of big conference transfers thinking they are too good for non power schools anytime such a transfer happens.

Good luck to Gerard, but I think when he steps back and looks at the overall direction of his career, he will see that he is as much to blame as anyone else.

GorgeZag
09-12-2014, 11:53 AM
And yet both sides thought it was a good idea for him to stick around for two years. You think these things would have been evident during the redshirt year.

CdAZagFan
09-12-2014, 11:59 AM
I liked Gerard - there were times when I thought GU needed some more slashers when the offense got stagnant, but it was an odd fit into the scheme.

Good thoughts, Reborn, on Byron Wesley and others fitting in - I think Wesley knows what he is getting into. My concern is for Domantas and it stems from an interview I read awhile back from his father who said he decided to come to the states because he could log a lot of minutes for a D1 school. What if he's not as sharp as everything thinks and doesn't get the majority of the minutes? Are they (him and his father) going to be patient? It'll be fun to watch it all play out...

RenoZag
09-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Good luck to Mr. Coleman as he pursues his goals.

I hope he doesn't feel the need to sulk under a towel on the bench this year.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
http://members4.boardhost.com/donscentral/msg/1410501921.html

And Dons Central reads the same short Twitter snippet to conclude that Coleman was forced out, and "GONZAGA OUT OF CONTROL!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zag 77
09-12-2014, 02:40 PM
My first reaction is "what an ingrate." The kid had a golden opportunity to get a degree from a first class institution and prepare himself for life, and he blew it. We were told he was going to transfer to another D-I school, which was a flat out lie. He had to go to Division II, which means he did not get his degree and thereby make himself eligible for a D-I school. He came here with 2 years of education from Providence. He had 4 regular semesters and 2 summer sessions here. What the h-ll did he do with his time? It is not like he was pre-med. He was a Phys Ed. Major for chrissakes.

On the court, all he could do was dunk if nobody was around him. His range was about 6 inches or less. Do you have to be a God-blessed Rocket scientist to figure out that this was not going to cut it? A girls 8th grade coach could figure out how to defend him. All you do is pack the key and watch him go in against 3 guys and get swatted.

Sorry, but I am pi$$ed at his lack of humility and lack of taking personal responsibility for frittering away his academic and athletic opportunities. I hope that life at West Buffalo Chip State makes him happy.

A classier response would have been:

"I want thank Gonzaga University for the two years I spent there. I would particularly wish to thank Coach Mark Few and his staff for the opportunity to come to Gonzaga. I would like to signal my appreciation to all of the fans who supported me more than I really deserved and apologize that I did not develop my abilities to a greater extent. I hope to graduate and make my self, my family and my friends proud of me.

Sincerely,

Gerard Coleman."

GorgeZag
09-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Do you have to be a God-blessed Rocket scientist to figure out that this was not going to cut it? A girls 8th grade coach could figure out how to defend him."

I guess you do have to be a rocket scientist, because it took our own staff two years to figure it out.
Both parties need to figure this out sooner. He wasted two years of eligibility, and the staff wasted two years of a scholarship that was better off being used on someone else apparently.

SunDevilGolfZag
09-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I guess you do have to be a rocket scientist, because it took our own staff two years to figure it out.
Both parties need to figure this out sooner. He wasted two years of eligibility, and the staff wasted two years of a scholarship that was better off being used on someone else apparently.

A certain number of players just don't work out in any program. GC was just one who didn't work out here. Time to just wish the kid the best in the future and move on

DarkZagRises
09-13-2014, 03:40 PM
What's a shade?

Rangerzag
09-13-2014, 04:39 PM
What's a shade?

"acting in a casual or disrespectful manner (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=manner) towards (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=towards) someone/dissing a friend
throwing shade, acting (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=acting) kinda shady"

per

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shade