PDA

View Full Version : ESPN ranks Gonzaga #12 in their CBB Future Power Rankings

exclusivelee
09-10-2014, 08:35 AM
CBB Future Power Rankings (Ranking the 25 teams most likely to have success over next three seasons)

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11471111/college-basketball-future-power-rankings-teams-most-likely-succeed-next-three-seasons

The question at the heart of Insider's College Basketball Future Power Rankings project is simple: Which college hoops programs will have the most success over the next three seasons (2014-15, '15-16, '16-17)?

To come up with the answer, we had a panel of experts rate programs on a 1-to-10 scale in five different categories: Coaching, Current Talent, Recruiting, Program Power and Stability. We compiled the results and weighted the categories (for a more in-depth description of the category weighting and the methodology behind the rankings to produce the top 25 rankings you see below.

CATEGORIES (weighting)

COACHING (25 percent): Quality of coaching staff over next three seasons, with heavy emphasis on the head coach
CURRENT TALENT (25 percent): Quality of players currently in the program, focusing on the future
RECRUITING (25 percent): Projected quality of 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes, and recruiting momentum
PROGRAM POWER (15 percent): Fan and institutional support, facilities, resources and tradition
STABILITY (10 percent): Accounts for potential roster and coaching staff turnover

Our panel: Andy Katz, Jeff Goodman, John Gasaway, Paul Biancardi, Jay Bilas, Eamonn Brennan.

For each selection, our panelists explain why the team is here, offer a potential stumbling block to success, and then discuss the young talent on the roster or on the way via recruiting.

Here you have it -- our top 25 ranking of the teams best positioned for success over the next three seasons. It's a group that offers a number of surprises.

#12 Gonzaga Bulldogs

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/ncaa/basketball/future_power_rankings/2014/gonzaga_2250.jpg

The bar graphs reflect the average rating given by the voters for each category.
Category averages are weighted by importance to generate overall score.

Why they are here: The Zags cracked the 90s in stability, and it's not hard to figure out why. Since 1999, coach Mark Few has coolly turned the Zags from a one-time Cinderella into one of the nation's most consistent year-to-year entities -- never missing an NCAA tournament and turning down plenty of job offers in the process. With their typical mix of experience (Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell) and talent (Przemek Karnowski, Kentucky transfer Kyle Wiltjer) the 2014-15 Bulldogs project as one of the two or three best offensive teams in the country. -- Eamonn Brennan

Dilemma: Have 15 years of remarkable success brought Few's team face-to-face with the limits of what it can accomplish? A No. 1 seed in the 2013 NCAA tournament got the Bulldogs only as far as a 76-70 loss to Wichita State in the round of 32. The Zags haven't reached a Sweet 16 since 2009. How high can a WCC program rise? The answer might be No. 12, which is awfully high. -- John Gasaway

Pipeline: Few and his staff have done a nice job mixing it up on the recruiting trail by getting some top-100 kids, finding hidden gems, going the international route and even adding transfers. Assistant Tommy Lloyd is plugged in overseas and has brought in big man Przemek Karnowski and freshman Domantas Sabonis. The Zags also added highly touted point guard Josh Perkins (ESPN, No. 56) this season and have another top-100ish point guard, Jesse Wade, committed for next year. The Zags will do what they do -- and that's mix it up -- to make sure they have enough talent to win the WCC and remain a top-25 program. -- Jeff Goodman

BULLDOG#1
09-10-2014, 11:02 AM
This is quite a complement to the zags -- drives home what a remarkable program the zags have created.

DixieZag
09-10-2014, 11:52 AM
I thought we'd be higher. I thought 7 or 8.

Not a big deal, just thought the national press was more taken with us.

gonzagafan62
09-10-2014, 12:55 PM
I thought we'd be higher. I thought 7 or 8.

Not a big deal, just thought the national press was more taken with us.

Most people don't know how much of a monster Gonzaga really has come. Esepcially if we pick up another solid seed this year. That would be 2 of 3 years, and we would still have a good chance the next couple years, as well.

Its really not a big deal, like you state Dixie, we are still going to have years that are fun like last year, but ultimately have a slower season. However, the good years are going to be more often than not, now.

People are starting to recognize IMO Good compliment for the Zags, now we have to rise to the top of the charts. GU 24/7/365

Reborn
09-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Nice!!! Could someone post the top 20 teams? I'd appreciate it.

SteelZag
09-10-2014, 02:18 PM
1. Duke
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky
4. Louisville
5. Florida
6. Arizona
7. North Carolina
8. Syracuse
9. Michigan State
10. Michigan
11. Ohio State
12. Gonzaga
13. Wisconsin
14. Connecticut
15. Virginia
16. UCLA
17. Xavier
18. Villanova
19. San Diego State
20. Harvard
21. Pittsburgh
22. UNLV
23. Memphis
24. Georgetown
25. VCU

I think the Zags are in great company.

sittingon50
09-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Pretty hard to argue GU being ahead any of those above, but it certainly is pretty subjective.

Reborn
09-10-2014, 08:53 PM
12 is a perfect place to start the season. I didn't think UCLA would be ranked in the top 25, but that's good for GU. The Zags, at this point, have 3 top 25 teams on their schedule. I guess I expected SMU in the top 25 but maybe CDC is right. I feel better about that game now.

Sarenyon
09-11-2014, 04:15 AM
Reborn, this is not a ranking for the season... it is a ranking for the programs futures over a 3 year period. So UCLA makes sense at where they are, though they will start lower this year (probably unranked or in the 20s.)

Reborn
09-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Reborn, this is not a ranking for the season... it is a ranking for the programs futures over a 3 year period. So UCLA makes sense at where they are, though they will start lower this year (probably unranked or in the 20s.)

Thanks Sarenyon for the correction. I should have known that but forgoot. That seems to happen sometimes now.