PDA

View Full Version : GU Season Tickets

JPtheBeasta
09-03-2014, 11:48 AM
What is the best way to go about getting season tickets?

My understanding thus far is that you need to pay to become a Bulldog Club member for consideration, and that you wait for a former ticket holder to meet an untimely death, at which time the Pope and his Cardinals vote on you at the Holy Dispensation of Seats at the Vatican on the blood moon (or something like that).

I am not Catholic (but supportive) and I don't want to have to kill somebody, so I was wondering what the next best options were.

Thanks, in advance.

Zagcity
09-03-2014, 11:55 AM
What is the best way to go about getting season tickets?

My understanding thus far is that you need to pay to become a Bulldog Club member for consideration, and that you wait for a former ticket holder to meet an untimely death, at which time the Pope and his Cardinals vote on you at the Holy Dispensation of Seats at the Vatican on the blood moon (or something like that).

I am not Catholic (but supportive) and I don't want to have to kill somebody, so I was wondering what the next best options were.

Thanks, in advance.

Last I heard, a minimum of 5k moved you up the list enough to become remotely in line to acquire some:(

Lewey
09-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Donate lots of money to the athletic department. Then they'll take care of you. It is based on a points system including how much you've donated and how long you've been a Bulldog member. Perhaps some other things. But by far the biggest thing is how much you've donated over the years. Not sure what happens after that, as I just go with the minimum Bulldog membership. I'll probably just have to outlive everyone else, and I started too late for that!

Zagdawg
09-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Start here--
http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205175516

Read this and join:
http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=205175510

Get on the wait list here:
http://www.gozags.com/quest/Questionaire.dbml?&&&QID=135116&DB_OEM_ID=26400

hondo
09-03-2014, 12:05 PM
A couple of years below .500 would do wonders to weed out the bandwagon crowd and open up seats for real hoop fans. But then how many real hoop fans would there be?

JPtheBeasta
09-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Thank you all.

That $5k figure was my general impression, as well, but I was wondering if people "in the know" had any different thoughts, or if anything had changed. I am not in a position to donate that every year, so perhaps I will have to become a UW fan (Just kidding. Please put away the pitch forks).

Lewey, cheers to you. You have brought up another compelling argument for clean living and keeping that blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar down.

75Zag
09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
There is a fairly clear path to acquiring GU season tickets.

Step 1: Assemble the staff at your mansion.
Step 2: Advise the staff that there will be one or two staff reductions due to your "reallocation" of financial resources.
Step 3: Ask your driver to bring out the Bentley so that he can take you on an errand or two.
Step 4: Motor down from the South Hills toward Boone Avenue.
Step 5: Stop off at E. 502 Boone Avenue and drop off a check for $35 million dollars to build a new state-of-the-art men's BB practice and training facility.
Step 6: Return home.
Step 7: Wait for your season tickets to be delivered, personally, by Mark Few.

Go Bulldogs!

sittingon50
09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
$35 Mill! Good, at least I'll have some pocket change left over.

Zagdawg
09-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind the $5K that Zagcity was referencing would get your name up the waiting list and onto the standard season ticket holder list--then it is much more reasonable each year-- I pay just north of $2.4K a year for 4 season tickets in the lower bowl (donation and ticket fees).

webspinnre
09-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Keep in mind the $5K that Zagcity was referencing would get your name up the waiting list and onto the standard season ticket holder list--then it is much more reasonable each year-- I pay just north of $2.4K a year for 4 season tickets in the lower bowl (donation and ticket fees).

2400 per ticket, or 2400 for all 4? Because $600 for a season ticket doesn't sound particularly unreasonable.

Zag 77
09-03-2014, 02:09 PM
There are some fairly noteworthy divorces in Spokane County where GU season tickets are a significant asset in the case. There are a few middle-aged divorced women who have gotten the GU tickets in their settlements. They might not mind sharing them with a nice, attentive younger man who will treat them right.

Zagdawg
09-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Ballpark of $600 per seat per season---(depending on what you are looking for -- there are some much better seats out there --but you will pay more).

bballguy
09-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Or buy women's season tickets for $99 a seat plus $200 gift for lower bowl tickets. You still get great entertainment and the men's team drops by, when in town, to watch some of the games.

JPtheBeasta
09-03-2014, 02:39 PM
There are some fairly noteworthy divorces in Spokane County where GU season tickets are a significant asset in the case. There are a few middle-aged divorced women who have gotten the GU tickets in their settlements. They might not mind sharing them with a nice, attentive younger man who will treat them right.

That means that one needs to be a cougar fan?

krozman
09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
The entire concept of paying to be on a waiting list always angers me to unreasonable lengths. GU should be ashamed of it, yet the issue never boils up on the forums with the emotion it deserves. Maybe it's a "par for the course" activity and I'm just not "with it." The way I see it, I'll wait as long as it takes for a spot to open up and I'll pay the cost of season tickets, whatever it is. But if I put money down, I want something in return. In short, Comcast gets my money and GU doesn't. You can call it the cost of doing business and in the end "it's worth it," but these chumps could pay for a decade and still never see a game inside the MAC. No thank you.

Zaggin' it
09-03-2014, 04:01 PM
The entire concept of paying to be on a waiting list always angers me to unreasonable lengths. GU should be ashamed of it, yet the issue never boils up on the forums with the emotion it deserves. Maybe it's a "par for the course" activity and I'm just not "with it." The way I see it, I'll wait as long as it takes for a spot to open up and I'll pay the cost of season tickets, whatever it is. But if I put money down, I want something in return. In short, Comcast gets my money and GU doesn't. You can call it the cost of doing business and in the end "it's worth it," but these chumps could pay for a decade and still never see a game inside the MAC. No thank you.

Those who give money get the chance to buy single game tickets, which is quite often. I think last year they sold tickets to all but a couple of games. Those paying the freight get the chance to buy, as it should be.

krozman
09-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Those who give money get the chance to buy single game tickets, which is quite often. I think last year they sold tickets to all but a couple of games. Those paying the freight get the chance to buy, as it should be.

I guess my point is that it's unethical to pay for the opportunity to be on a list. I'm sure the bulldog club has other benefits such as the single game ticket opportunities as you mention, but 90% or more belong just because they have to in order to receive tickets, or the possibility of tickets someday. The way it should be is that season tickets should go up significantly in price to make up whatever profits are lost from this scam called the bulldog club, and the people actually getting the use out of season tickets pay the price. That way you also have a healthy turnover of seats over time. I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority on this board. Just seems like fans are getting taken.

GoZags
09-03-2014, 06:59 PM
I guess my point is that it's unethical to pay for the opportunity to be on a list. I'm sure the bulldog club has other benefits such as the single game ticket opportunities as you mention, but 90% or more belong just because they have to in order to receive tickets, or the possibility of tickets someday. The way it should be is that season tickets should go up significantly in price to make up whatever profits are lost from this scam called the bulldog club, and the people actually getting the use out of season tickets pay the price. That way you also have a healthy turnover of seats over time. I dunno, I guess I'm in the minority on this board. Just seems like fans are getting taken.

There are some grads that actually donate to the school because they want to, and have the means to. They donate to the school not looking for a quid pro quo. There are also "out of town" alums that donate. I don't believe either group feels they are being "taken". Of course, that's just my opinion.

Zagdawg
09-03-2014, 07:15 PM
GoZags -- you mean there are alumni that are looking to support their schools althletics without looking for a payback-- that is just crazy.

I like supporting my school-- plus our family gets tickets out of the deal-- not a bad situation.

Zags_Fanatic
09-03-2014, 10:16 PM
A $250 Bulldog Club donation won't get you season tickets, but it will give you the chance to purchase single game tickets to many of the games. Don't count on getting tickets to SMU, SMC or BYU but there are a number of games where tickets are available to members.

vandalzag
09-04-2014, 08:01 AM

Ethics have nothing to do with it. If you want to support your school than you cut them a check. If you write a big enough check you will get something in return. This not not a new concept, I think you can find this type of exchange in other parts of life. You can't have it both ways. If you want to have a big time program, you have to squeeze the support from every angle. Especially when there is no football to pad the revenue line. I started going to GU games when my Mom's student ID would get my family and the next 5 people in line behind us into the game for free. When the run started the bandwagon was in full force and attending the game became a matter of privilege for a lot of the monied crowd, lots of fans who think the program was founded in 1998. Donations to be get on a list, seat licenses, etc... are ways to generate revenue. Fans are not getting taken. I would guess that if they stopped this practice and raised the ticket prices to cover the lost revenue you would be complaining that the cost for season tickets is too high.

DixieZag
09-04-2014, 08:10 AM
To the extent it is unethical, that horse left the barn 50 years ago in college athletics. Since it is that way now, set in stone, if GU wants to compete with Arizona, they have to act like Arizona in a lot of ways.

Some things about GU they are not willing to give up. The admissions standards are still high, the character stuff, etc. But, I honestly believe that they could get away with charging double what they do now and either sell out or near sell out most every game.

I think, but will have to check with one of the tax/accountant types around here, that the reason so much is based on a "gift" to the department is for tax purposes, for both the school and the ticket holder. The "donation" is taxed one way, the "ticket" another. But I do hope someone can tell me if that is for sure.

They sell a good product and people are willing to pay. Just kind of the way it is. They don't even need to have a wait list. If they really wanted to, they could simply make it a bidding process every year. Though, to be sure, if you make a big enough "bid" - you'll likely get tickets from somewhere, somehow.

gonzagafan62
09-04-2014, 08:17 AM

Step 2: Advise the staff that there will be one or two staff reductions due to your "reallocation" of financial resources.
Step 3: Ask your driver to bring out the Bentley so that he can take you on an errand or two.
Step 5: Stop off at E. 502 Boone Avenue and drop off a check for $35 million dollars to build a new state-of-the-art men's BB practice and training facility.

Go Bulldogs!

Here is a new plan:

1. Wait for Gonzaga to win the National Championship in 2015
2. Wait for Gonzaga to either expand its doors, or build a new arena to seat 20,000
3. Purchase season tickets.

LongIslandZagFan
09-04-2014, 08:40 AM

Go Bulldogs!

A bit of an exaggeration. But the reality is that in order to get the students in for free and still cover costs of ever improving facilities... it is the way it is.

Out of my price range... yeah. But I accept that. Honestly, to be a top level program, it is just the way it has to be. Might be why Zags travel so well... plane tix/hotel/tix to games might ultimately be cheaper. :)

BurgessEraZag
09-04-2014, 12:43 PM
As a former employee of the GU athletic department, a few years ago we were all given two FREE tickets to a game during Christmas break. I felt privileged, even though my contribution to GU BB was as Sports Information Director from 1957-1961 and my All-American was Frank Burgess. Now that REALITY has set in and as a former employee I have no status, I joined the Bulldog club and once again feel privileged to "have the right" to purchase tickets offered during Christmas break or when other tickets go begging. Vandal is right. Life is life, so just accept it. No one is getting shafted.

Zag 77
09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
I remember when the games were being played in Kennedy Pavilion. The nice old ticket-taker with white hair had bad eyes and he would let you in for free with you student ID even though it was old. I think I got in free for about seven years that way.

spudzag
09-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I got tickets a couple of years ago following approach outlined in Bulldog Club section of the website. With only 20 seats or less opening each year it's tough to know just how long it will take. My total donation level for women's season tickets, athletic department donations and BDC was about 15k+ for two tickets. I will say I thought the whole process was handled really well by the athletic department and always felt that my contacts were fair and honest.

SteelZag
09-04-2014, 02:39 PM
I remember when the games were being played in Kennedy Pavilion. The nice old ticket-taker with white hair had bad eyes and he would let you in for free with you student ID even though it was old. I think I got in free for about seven years that way.

What I liked about the good old days was never having a bad seat. LOL.

JPtheBeasta
09-04-2014, 04:55 PM
It seems to be a decent option for those with caviar tastes on a beer budget to donate the $250 and become eligible for preferential opportunities for game-by-game seat offerings. If I remember correctly, Zag Granny goes to several games a season that way.

willandi
09-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Kind of goes hand in hand with the 'Haves-Have nots" discussion in the Crosby. You have to have extra money, more than just the cost of the tickets, just to have a dream of actually going to see a game in the Mac.

Zagdawg
09-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Craigslist $40-$100 will get you to a game.