6th, Rob Sacre/Theo Davis
7th, Will Foster
8th, Larry Gurganious
9th, Andrew Sorenson

* 1st thru 9th = off the bench.

More later.

wazZag
09-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I imagine this will prove to be pretty accurate. I do like Pendo's fire coming off the bench, but someone would have to make a serious run to supplant him.

What I like most is the combination of downs and bouldin. Bouldin's outside shot is suspect at times but he can get to the hole quite a bit and rebounds well. Downs spreads out defenses by his great outside shot, thereby opening up the floor for Pargo/Bouldin/Heytvelt.

GonzagaGurl08
09-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Love the starting lineup. I agree with Waz, it will be nice to have Downs to spread the defense for the other guys.

ZagAddict
09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
This depth chart shows the depth of this team... I think it will pay dividends by allowing players to be more fresh in February and March (hopefully late March ;) ). My main worry is the depth of the backcourt... Pargo and Bouldin are great tandem, but then what??? I'll look for Bouldin's game to be more mature this year and allow him stay out of foul trouble.

Austin Daye as the first option off the bench is a surprise, but very encouraging to see. As a freshman, Bouldin surprised me with the minutes he played. I'm excited to see what kind of contribution Austin makes on such a deep roster. I was also surprised to see Larry G. buried so deep on the depth chart... especially behind Foster:confused: I have always been a fan of Larry G's and hope he gets the opportunity to contribute this year. I think his defense can be a difference maker, and his offense can be something special with more experience. I remember a lot of spectacular plays from Larry his freshman year; he just needed to learn how to finish at the hole more consistently. A line up with Pargo, Ira Brown, and Larry G. would cause turnovers at a ridiculous pace... at be very exciting to watch.

I can't wait to see this team on the court in November :)

BobZag
09-08-2007, 11:22 AM
That's just my hunch, btw, and it's to start the season. :)

If Daye turns into Ammo II, things obviously could change.

CDC84
09-08-2007, 11:59 AM
That's just my hunch, btw, and it's to start the season.

To start the season, I would have to agree with BZ on his starting lineup and rotation. Not sure if that starting lineup is the one that we want going into March, but to start the season, it's the one Few needs to go with.

Unfortunately, I can't see how LG is going to be seeing the court a whole lot unless an injury happens or if a game is out of hand. Perhaps he'll be used in special situations like if the Zags need to press or something. I like LG too, but the problem that he's facing is that this team has an overabundance of wing players - there at least 5 or 6 guys that can play his position, and all of them figure to be ahead of him in the rotation to start the year. That's a lot to overcome to get on the floor and play meaningful minutes.

GreenStreetElite
09-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I think that looks pretty good, I just think LG will work his way up if there is any lack of D with the guys ahead of him. The kid can play D like someone was saying maybe come in when there is a press situation. Who knows what will happen though we are just suspecting this is what it will look like it could be totally different.
p.s. can't wait to see Theo after his good summer with team Canada.

Oregon Zag
09-08-2007, 12:46 PM
If Daye turns into Ammo II, things obviously could change.

Oh, to be in Spokane in the winter time...

mobetta
09-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I am not surprised that there is not much mention on this board of Steven Gray in regard to this coming season. I imagine that the reason is unfamiliarity. Well, I think that you should all hang onto your hats, because you don't seem to understand what you have had fall into your laps. Steven was the best player in Washington last year. He took a very modest team at Bainbridge Island Highschool to the finals of the 3A tournament. No one in the state could stop him, one on one. He did all of this while responding to his coach's request to step back and get his teammates involved. You could see very clear changes in his style when during the first half, he focused upon distributing the ball, rebounding and defense, then when the coach let him loose, he took over the game and no one could stop him. This happened repeatedly.

Of course, that was against highschool players. No one can predict for sure how that will translate to Gonzaga, but my prediction is that Steven will be a starter for Gonzaga by mid-season of his freshman year, if not before.

November should be fun, for sure.

CDC84
09-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Of course, that was against highschool players. No one can predict for sure how that will translate to Gonzaga, but my prediction is that Steven will be a starter for Gonzaga by mid-season of his freshman year, if not before.

You know, I really can't produce an argument to say this won't happen. At the same time, I can't produce an argument to say it will happen either.

The newcomers in this program are not going to be taking a back seat to anyone folks. It's a special, talented group that possesses a confident but unpretentious swagger.

Nevtelen
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Not that I doubt Gray's talents, but I can't believe he'd start over Bouldin by Jan. I do think, though, that Gray might be the first off the bench by mid-season, due to his skill and the fact that we're light at the guard positions.

dim4sum
09-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Acting strictly as a devil's advocate, it is just fair to state that last season was a down one for prep basketball in Washington state. Steven Gray faced a weak, uncoachable Rainier Beach team and an unusually weak Seattle Prep team. O'Dea was a mediocre but well-disciplined and coached team. I may eat my words but I don't think Jamille McMillan is a division one starter.
It's in this context that Gray excelled. So it remains to be seen whether Gray will excel when the competition steps up. I think he will, though, maybe not at once. He shoots very well off a pick and here's where Pendo and Ira Brown can help him with his numbers.

BobZag
09-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Steven Gray is receiving rave reviews during individual workouts. Notice he is not that far down the depth chart and is expected to spell Pargo and/or Bouldin right off the bat. I'm not saying he's the next Ray Allen but that's who he looks like when playing. The kid is dang good and by his upperclassmen years he could be a nationally known player/star. The main reason why I put him where I put him is because he's a frosh, not due to his talent potential, which is high.

BobZag
09-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Acting strictly as a devil's advocate, it is just fair to state that last season was a down one for prep basketball in Washington state. Steven Gray faced a weak, uncoachable Rainier Beach team and an unusually weak Seattle Prep team. O'Dea was a mediocre but well-disciplined and coached team. I may eat my words but I don't think Jamille McMillan is a division one starter.
It's in this context that Gray excelled. So it remains to be seen whether Gray will excel when the competition steps up. I think he will, though, maybe not at once. He shoots very well off a pick and here's where Pendo and Ira Brown can help him with his numbers.

Daye is going to wow some of us. I really do see him first off the bench, despite the lack of depth at guard.

FuManShoes
09-08-2007, 05:00 PM
It's going to be hard to keep this kind of offensive talent off the floor. I agree Bouldin and Pargo are better all around PGs at this stage and wil rightfully get more PT, but neither one has Gray's shooting ability. I've seen him in person and watched the vids that have us salivating. He's got size and an effortless shot -- Ray-esque if you ask me -- and I think that puts him ahead of the curve. So yeah, I'm excited to see this kid play and think that it's more a question of him picking up the offense and refining his handle than anything else.