PDA

View Full Version : The most hated team in Washington is … Washington?

SLOZag
08-11-2014, 11:31 AM
NBC Sports reports that "Reddit put together a map for the most hated college basketball teams in each state ... . [I]t should come as no surprise ... that Duke is the nation’s most-hated team." Duke is the most despised team in Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, Louisiana, Alabama, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware.

According to NBC Sports, the "weirdest vote ... [is for t]he most hated team in Washington … [The winner is] Washington"!

NBC Sports closes the article by asking: "Are there really that many Gonzaga fans, or do Husky supporters just despise their own program?"

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/heres-a-map-of-the-most-hated-team-in-college-hoops-by-state-photo/

My answer: Yes!

LongIslandZagFan
08-11-2014, 11:35 AM
NBC Sports reports that "Reddit put together a map for the most hated college basketball teams in each state ... . [I]t should come as no surprise ... that Duke is the nation’s most-hated team." Duke is the most despised team in Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, Louisiana, Alabama, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Virginia, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware.

According to NBC Sports, the "weirdest vote ... [is for t]he most hated team in Washington … [The winner is] Washington"!

NBC Sports closes the article by asking: "Are there really that many Gonzaga fans, or do Husky supporters just despise their own program?"

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/11/heres-a-map-of-the-most-hated-team-in-college-hoops-by-state-photo/

Zags and Cougs together make a formidable enemy.

ZagaZags
08-11-2014, 12:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q49mO76.gif

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24656418/map-one-polls-take-on-the-most-hated-teams-per-every-state

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-11-2014, 12:41 PM
BYU tops the Utah vote.

Zagdawg
08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
I would like to see the "Most Loved" school by state.

DixieZag
08-11-2014, 01:30 PM
I would like to see the "Most Loved" school by state.

It would probably also be Washington. Too many alums, too many bandwagon fans. With "hated" you could have all the other schools vote UW, with "loved" everyone would vote their own, no aggregate. Plus, Seattle, biggest city, hometown school. . . .

75Zag
08-11-2014, 01:45 PM
I have no idea what "Reddit" is, but I still proudly hang my UW Law School diploma next to my GU undergrad diploma (you cannot underestimate the economic value of a BA in Psychology (with super-duper honors) from GU). My Husky football Tyee Club season tickets (thanks Dad - may you rest in peace) are among my most valuable possessions. I can't get to Spokane in the winter often enough to justify trying to buy GU season tickets, even if I had the political connections to buy them. If and when the GU - UW BB competition is resumed I will always cheer for GU to win that game, but otherwise I am happy to root for both schools.

Again, unclear as to the point of this post.

Go Bulldogs (and Go Huskies).

Zagdawg
08-11-2014, 03:37 PM
The uw side is holding you back---- let a Zag help an ol' dawg out. ;)

Wiki Reddit for you.

"Reddit /ˈrɛdɪt/,[3] stylized as reddit,[4] is an entertainment, social networking service and news website where registered community members can submit content, such as text posts or direct links."

"Again, unclear as to the point of this post." I would say you are trying to show your support for the dawgs as well as the Zags (my guess).

Once and Future Zag
08-11-2014, 03:44 PM
The uw side is holding you back---- let a Zag help an ol' dawg out.

Wiki Reddit for you.

"Reddit /ˈrɛdɪt/,[3] stylized as reddit,[4] is an entertainment, social networking service and news website where registered community members can submit content, such as text posts or direct links."

"Again, unclear as to the point of this post." I would say you are trying to show your support for the dawgs as well as the Zags (my guess).

Reddit: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

75Zag
08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
The uw side is holding you back---- let a Zag help an ol' dawg out. ;)

Wiki Reddit for you.

I suspect Reddit is similar to the BookFace place where I give them my secrets and they sell them and share them with various sites on the Interweb.

My secret is that I would like to spend a naked weekend with Scarlett Johansson and her better-looking younger sister. You don't need BookFace to know that about me.

My best to Robin Williams' family. Sixty three is pretty young to die these days, but I think Robin and I share a history of doing things that are not so good for your body. But killing yourself seems like a bad bet - especially during the Buoy 10 fishing season.

Go Bulldogs!

MaroonZag22
08-11-2014, 06:44 PM
I still proudly hang my UW Law School diploma next to my GU undergrad diploma (you cannot underestimate the economic value of a BA in Psychology (with super-duper honors) from GU).

Can't blame you for that, you need to celebrate your accomplishments. I have my UW grad degree next to my GU undergrad as well, though I love the GU one more!

krozman
08-11-2014, 10:56 PM
After what we've done with OK state the last few years, I'm surprised we're not there!

titopoet
08-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Many would think it has to do with being the top dawg, but no as they are also the most despised team in Oregon as well (the Ducks would have been if it held). I wonder why?

LongIslandZagFan
08-12-2014, 07:01 AM
It would probably also be Washington. Too many alums, too many bandwagon fans. With "hated" you could have all the other schools vote UW, with "loved" everyone would vote their own, no aggregate. Plus, Seattle, biggest city, hometown school. . . .

To be realistic, I'd bet Duke would dominate the "loved" map too.

hondo
08-12-2014, 07:54 AM
In regards to Washington, cowardice is never admirable.

MDABE80
08-12-2014, 10:18 AM
We don't have many teams to hate in this state. I'm thinking there is really only one that's quite this arrorgant. Not being humble or at least quiet sorta seals the deal every time. For a team that has little to show for such financial support and media support, small wonder. I don't hate UW. They just keep pounding their chest with his crazy hubris , "divine right of kings" or something akin......and all this when they deserve little. It's kinda silly looking. Another thing of the renewed series...after the announcement,, I keep trying to get fired up over it......something's simply gone away. Hard to get some passion over something you don't care about.

LongIslandZagFan
08-12-2014, 11:13 AM
In the end, it isn't about the school nor the quality of education... no... if there is hatred it is born of the arrogance of the fan base more than anything else. UW has that and more... often misguided arrogance at that.

I am sure some WCC board(s) in Northern California will throw us into that mix. Yes, hard to be believe but we can come off as arrogant, but at least we aren't missing the post season entirely or only winning in the CIT while calling ourselves world beaters like the folks at UW

Oregonzagnut
08-12-2014, 01:03 PM
What stuck out in my mind isn't that the people of Washington (and Oregon) hate UW the most, but that the author used the word, hate. Will the PC morality police say that Rob Dauster was inciting hate across the USA? ;)

If I really think about it, I don't actually hate Washington or even Romar for that matter. But respect is earned and I think all those people who said they hated Duke the most, actually respect them but are just frustrated that their team has lost to them so much.

Dauster should have asked "What team do you most wish would have a winless season?"

ZigZagger
08-12-2014, 01:16 PM
"What team do you most wish would have a winless season?"

Washington

TheGonzagaFactor
08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Many would think it has to do with being the top dawg, but no as they are also the most despised team in Oregon as well (the Ducks would have been if it held). I wonder why?

First you have to be top dawg in order to be hated for it. We own them.

maynard g krebs
08-12-2014, 04:07 PM

The hate for Washington by Oregon goes back to at least 1948, when Oregon and Cal tied for the PCC title. Six of the conference teams were in the Northwest, with 4 in Cali, but UW voted against UO and lobbied Montana, then a member, to do the same, sending Cal to the Rose Bowl instead of UO. There are numerous other incidents that have reinforced that feeling over the years. In 1962 an Oregon player was tackled by UW fans while trying to catch the winning TD. Then there was Lambright lobbying unsuccessfully for the Cotton Bowl berth in 95, which Bud Withers wrote invited another half century of hate from Oregon fans, Neuheisel's team dancing on the O, etc etc.

GoZags
08-12-2014, 07:45 PM
In the end, it isn't about the school nor the quality of education... no... if there is hatred it is born of the arrogance of the fan base more than anything else. UW has that and more... often misguided arrogance at that.

I am sure some WCC board(s) in Northern California will throw us into that mix. Yes, hard to be believe but we can come off as arrogant, but at least we aren't missing the post season entirely or only winning in the CIT while calling ourselves world beaters like the folks at UW

Ahem. I absolutely hate correcting LIZF ... but feel I must here. Your statement "winning in the CIT" is incorrect. Washington paid $80,000 to "host" the post season CIT game ... which they LOST to Valpo. So we're not talking about arrogant after "winning" in the CIT. We're talking about arrogant after LOSING in the CIT. So sorry to "correct" you, LIZF.

seacatfan
08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
But respect is earned and I think all those people who said they hated Duke the most, actually respect them but are just frustrated that their team has lost to them so much.

As a Duke hater, I don't agree with this at all. I don't respect their program and it's not about jealousy because they win. I would take a guess that most Duke haters also don't respect them. Anyway it's certainly notable that Duke shows up on that map in a huge block in the northern Rockies (MT/ID/the Dakotas). None of those are hoops hotbeds by any stretch of the imagination, there's something about Duke that inspired that hatred. If it's just because they are successful, why not North Carolina or Kentucky or Kansas, etc?

Question: What would it take for Duke to land on probation with the NCAA?
Answer: We don't know yet, because the NCAA keeps sweeping any transgression committed there under the carpet.

LongIslandZagFan
08-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Ahem. I absolutely hate correcting LIZF ... but feel I must here. Your statement "winning in the CIT" is incorrect. Washington paid $80,000 to "host" the post season CIT game ... which they LOST to Valpo. So we're not talking about arrogant after "winning" in the CIT. We're talking about arrogant after LOSING in the CIT. So sorry to "correct" you, LIZF.

Hee hee... no offense taken. Thanks for setting the post straight.