PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell among ESPN's "Players who deserve more hype"

exclusivelee
08-09-2014, 01:41 PM
ESPN: Players who deserve more hype (http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbexperts/post?id=2796)

Aug 8, 2014 - Seth Greenberg

College basketball is a reflection of society. Everyone wants to win now. Every fan wants a bigger, quicker and faster freshman to take his school to the next level. Who is the next big thing? The reality is that for every McDonald’s All-American playing for Kentucky, Kansas and Duke, there is an under-the-radar player who is having an impact on his team and program.

Some of those players make their impact immediately, while others find it to be a process. This is at both high-major programs that consistently play on national television, and at the mid-major level. Each season there are under-recruited players who, when given the opportunity, flourish. This can be as a result of more on-court minutes, better coaching and additional time in the weight room.

While they may not all become high NBA draft selections, the following 12 players are primed for big seasons. Let’s take a look at the nation’s most underrated players.

Gary Bell Jr. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56799/gary-bell,-jr.) | G | Gonzaga Bulldogs (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2250/gonzaga-bulldogs)
2013-14 per game stats: 11.0 points, 42.7 percent on 3-pointers
Gonzaga has one of the best basketball programs in the country, and this season's team should again be very good. Thanks to Przemek Karnowski (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/62585/przemek-karnowski), Kevin Pangos (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56798/kevin-pangos) and USC transfer Byron Wesley (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56748/byron-wesley), the Zags are poised to make a run to the Final Four -- but don’t forget about Bell. The 6-2 guard is a career 43.2 percent 3-point shooter who made just under two attempts per game last season.
However, Bell’s game is about much more than purely making shots. He does a terrific job of running the floor, is a solid ball handler and one of the best on- and off-ball defenders in the country.

Others written about by Seth Greenberg:

Georges Niang | F | Iowa State Cyclones
Olivier Hanlan | G | Boston College Eagles
Tyler Haws | G | Brigham Young Cougars
Vince Hunter | F | UTEP Miners
Alan Williams | F | UC Santa Barbara Gauchos
R.J. Hunter | G | Georgia State Panthers
Shawn Long | F | Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns
Larry Nance Jr. | F | Wyoming Cowboys
Siyani Chambers | G | Harvard Crimson
Kenneth “Speedy” Smith | G | Louisiana Tech Bulldogs

zag67
08-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Great statement. He has done a super job and I expect another exceptional year.

Oregonzagnut
08-09-2014, 02:57 PM
That's for sure! Bell has had the opportunity to generate his own hype though and I'll take actual production that speaks for itself over hype any day. But Bell can have both and sometimes just having a good stat line doesn't draw as much attention as is possible. Fact is, "It isn't always what you say, but how you say it" and it is true that we can "Dress for Success". But I try to remember that "Good things come to those who wait, but better things come to those who go out and get 'em."

Go get 'em Gary, this is the year.

zagfan24
08-09-2014, 03:11 PM
I think GBJ has been a great Zag and will have an outstanding year....good to see him get some positive press.

It's always amusing to hear commentators say that "Player X is shooting such a high percentage, he should shoot more!" One of the reasons Gary shoots at such a high clip is that he is very unselfish and almost never takes bad shots. It's a trait that will serve him well on such an offensively loaded team, though I can't help but wonder what kind of stats he could accumulate if the offense was centered around him.

Reborn
08-09-2014, 03:26 PM
One of my favorite players for four years. I also had a chance to talk to him personally. He's also a great young man, which is also important. Very, very humble with a great, friendly smile. I hope he has a great year, and as always I'll be pulling for him. Afterall, he's from the great state of Washington.

Malastein
08-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Hasn't he been one of those guys who just get anywhere close to 100% healthy? Granted there's plenty of guys who still produce through injuries. I'd like to see a more confident, assertive Gary Bell this season!

hooter73
08-09-2014, 06:47 PM
OZagNut is right on. Lots of players with a lot less than Bell has have gone "big time" because they create the buzz. Polite, smart, humble is very rarely ever noticed. He takes great, high percentage shots, and averaging 11 a game doesnt mean that hes only doing it once in a while, its just so understated for Bell and I've come to realize thats the way he wants it. He could probably score 15+ per game and go off once in a while for 25+ but thats not him.

MDABE80
08-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Really an exceptionally nice young man. I hold his body continues to heal and he holds it together this final year ( Goooooooosg that went fast!). He's due for some great honors. Lots of skill.

Oregonzagnut
08-10-2014, 01:05 AM
OZagNut is right on. Lots of players with a lot less than Bell has have gone "big time" because they create the buzz. Polite, smart, humble is very rarely ever noticed. He takes great, high percentage shots, and averaging 11 a game doesnt mean that hes only doing it once in a while, its just so understated for Bell and I've come to realize thats the way he wants it. He could probably score 15+ per game and go off once in a while for 25+ but thats not him.

Thanks hooter, and I agree with all you said. Your last statement I put in bold is true, that going out and trying to score 25 just isn't what GBJ is. But I think Mark Few has some, if not more, to do with that than Gary does. Gary was that 25 pt guy in H.S. and by all accounts he was just as quiet and humble back then too. He certainly has improved in skill, strength, and IQ, but his stats from year to year are flatlined in almost every column. He isn't the only one either.

But my hope for Bell (and the whole team of course) is that Wesley brings a complete package to the 3 spot. The solid scorer AND especially the lock down defender that has been eluding this team at the 3 for so long. That would give Bell an opportunity to shed some of his rigid conservative habits, and maybe even have some fun enough to vocalize, improvise, and showcase the God-given unique creativeness that Few's rigid choreography doesn't have much room for. IMO, it is that natural unique creativeness (when Few allows it) that IN MY OPINION, separates elite team players like Gary Bell, from the elite team All-American legends like Dickau. We need a complete player at both ends of the court at all 5 positions, especially at the wing so that finally, Gary and Kevin do not have to overcompensate every game, like last year. Banged up, injured, over extended and till the very end they took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. That isn't very fair and it certainly doesn't leave room for Gary or Kevin to experiment or get creative so as to improve their stats enough to stand out on Draft Day.

Reborn
08-10-2014, 06:05 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Gary's 11 ppg average. That's a pretty dang good average for a player who plays on a very good team in Div 1 basketball. You must remember that Gary has played on teams that have had some big times scorers. Gonzaga's offense has never been designed for Gary to be a great scorer. He has often deferred to guys like Kelly Olynyk, Kevin Pangos, Sam Dower, Elias Harris and Karnowski. My biggest concern with Gary is when he does not score in double figures, and especially in a few big games when he has either not scored at all or scored like 3 pts. I do believe that if he can play healthy that will not happen this year. I don't look for Gary to be a big scorer this year. I look for him to score around 10, 11 ppg again this year. There are plenty of guys who will be able to score this season. His biggest attribute will be his toughness that is displayed on the defensive end of the court. I think he is the perfect Zag.

LongIslandZagFan
08-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Gary's 11 ppg average. That's a pretty dang good average for a player who plays on a very good team in Div 1 basketball. You must remember that Gary has played on teams that have had some big times scorers. Gonzaga's offense has never been designed for Gary to be a great scorer. He has often deferred to guys like Kelly Olynyk, Kevin Pangos, Sam Dower, Elias Harris and Karnowski. My biggest concern with Gary is when he does not score in double figures, and especially in a few big games when he has either not scored at all or scored like 3 pts. I do believe that if he can play healthy that will not happen this year. I don't look for Gary to be a big scorer this year. I look for him to score around 10, 11 ppg again this year. There are plenty of guys who will be able to score this season. His biggest attribute will be his toughness that is displayed on the defensive end of the court. I think he is the perfect Zag.

Amen... considering who he has played next to all three years, adding in injuries... 11 ppg is good.

bballbeachbum
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
came here to see what you were all saying about the O'Bannon thing and found this. how about that, nice to see. we'll finally get to see him get to play the 2 guard matchup the majority of the time probably/hopefully, if so it will be the biggest upgrade to his production potential for the stats imo and could also help to keep him healthy finally. with the defenses scrambling to shut off the first and second options GBj is a great player to have the ball come to. And forget the nation, he's underrated by many of the GU faithful imo :)

DixieZag
08-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Anyone else notice that occasionally, like 6 times a year and even less last year than before, the isolated incidences when there is a shot on the rim bouncing off and Gary comes down the lane for tip/board and is way up? I mean way up.

I think he is hesitant to do it b/c of all the injuries and I can't recall him ever throwing one down, but it isn't like he doesn't have the ability. It might be that he is next to exhausted when the ball comes into the offensive end many times throughout the game. My only official level of BB (frosh) coach used to always say "if you need to rest a few seconds, do it on offensive, never defense." I suspect he is doing just that very often.

I love the guy. So thoughtful, quiet, humble. I think he will be a head coach somewhere some day.

hooter73
08-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Anyone else notice that occasionally, like 6 times a year and even less last year than before, the isolated incidences when there is a shot on the rim bouncing off and Gary comes down the lane for tip/board and is way up? I mean way up.

I think he is hesitant to do it b/c of all the injuries and I can't recall him ever throwing one down, but it isn't like he doesn't have the ability. It might be that he is next to exhausted when the ball comes into the offensive end many times throughout the game. My only official level of BB (frosh) coach used to always say "if you need to rest a few seconds, do it on offensive, never defense." I suspect he is doing just that very often.

I love the guy. So thoughtful, quiet, humble. I think he will be a head coach somewhere some day.

in-your-face throw downs isn't his way. But yes, ive seen it and am sure he could do it. I liked Pargo for that because it was a crowd pleaser and a back breaker for the opponents. Hoping this new crop of freshmen has a bit of it in them.