PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News ranks us #14

thespywhozaggedme
07-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Waaay to low in my opinion, looking at most of the teams they ranked ahead of us; Texas, Wichita State, Virginia, etc. we are better than most. I think we're top 5 worthy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-05-21/ncaa-basketball-top-25-sns-first-look-at-2014-15s-best-teams?eadid=EM/CPCGRA#slide/14

jazzdelmar
07-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Waaay to low in my opinion, looking at most of the teams they ranked ahead of us; Texas, Wichita State, Virginia, etc. we are better than most. I think we're top 5 worthy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-05-21/ncaa-basketball-top-25-sns-first-look-at-2014-15s-best-teams?eadid=EM/CPCGRA#slide/14

Agree. Might turn out to be the lowest of the mags. Very superficial, doubt DeCourcy spent much time on it.

JPtheBeasta
07-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Key issue: Because greater size made the interior better, Gonzaga's defensive numbers improved last season. But in the NCAAs the Zags gave up 84 points to Arizona, a team that averaged 65 points in three other NCAA Tournament games. Can the Bulldogs improve its perimeter D?

Key player: Some herald transfer Byron Wesley as a reason to place the Zags in the preseason top 10. He gives the team another weapon, but he's not an exceptional athlete. He's ideally designed to work over WCC defenses with his physicality and mid-range shooting. That's exactly what he is — a mid-major star. But he'll have to improve his defense to be a true difference-maker.

Wesley is a "mid-major star" who scored quite a few points in the Pac-12 last year, enough to lead his team in scoring... We don't need him to be anything more than a role player, anyway. He is far from our "key player," ("key addition" might be more accurate, but I will reserve that judgement until I see the freshmen) but looks to be a big contributor and I look forward to having him on the team. The write-up above seemed to be the weakest of all of them, and perhaps its because I know more about GU than the other teams.

coolhandzag
07-26-2014, 10:03 AM
It wasn't that long ago most supporters of the program would have been ecstatic with a pre-season ranking of 14. I agree 14 does seem light, but in truth, the ranking in July doesn't mean a whole lot. Good for recruiting? It doesn't hurt. Good for dialogue. You bet. Reflective of what will happen this season? Not so much.

The ball club will be tough this year, and may even be a tough out in March. I can't wait to see.

Zags_Fanatic
07-26-2014, 10:28 AM
These rankings are from May. They still include Mudiay on SMUs roster and it was also before the Zags brought McClellan on. The rankings that come up out over the next month or so will probably put GU a few places higher.

MDABE80
07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
As I said yesterday, if the writers REALLY look at this team, its talent, how it fits together....we'll be top 10. We still have to prove it on the court but it's a highly regarded collection.. That game with Zona looms large......a mobile big would help tons. Our 1-3's are better than theirs though. Defense is a very big deal for us. It'll count more than usual for this team.

TheGonzagaFactor
07-26-2014, 11:17 AM
This is 2 months old. Not that I care at all about a preseason ranking, but it's old and has been discussed.

hooter73
07-26-2014, 05:26 PM
no matter how old this is it shows how NCAA performance drives many, many things.

Zagger
07-27-2014, 05:06 AM
As I said yesterday, if the writers REALLY look at this team, its talent, how it fits together....we'll be top 10. We still have to prove it on the court but it's a highly regarded collection.. That game with Zona looms large......a mobile big would help tons. Our 1-3's are better than theirs though. Defense is a very big deal for us. It'll count more than usual for this team.
We get another shot at Zona - can't wait for that one! I'm with ya on D. If the Zags can rattle an opponent's scoring .... the Zags certainly have enough fire power to really take over a game. It'll be fun watching how this Zag bunch performs. I'm hoping a word used often by the talking sports heads when describing the Zags will be "quickness".