PDA

View Full Version : Gary Bell Jr. (A Key Piece to Nat. Championship Run)

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
07-22-2014, 05:32 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I hope everyone in ZagLand is having a great summer filled with good health and prosperity. :) My warmest wishes are always with ya!

My hope is that Gary Jr. can get himself back to 100% very soon. I am starting to get a little concerned with his post surgery progress. The Zags need him running like a high performance Ferrari for our National Title hopes to go from dream to reality. His defense and experience are irreplaceable in my opinion. I still think he can light it up on the offensive end if fully healthy and put himself in a position to be drafted. It is well known we have depth with our young diaper dandies coming in BUT Gary is an indispensable piece to this championship puzzle that so many of us look forward to experiencing.

Good luck Gary because we need you this year!! What are you guys and gals thoughts??? Have a blessed day!

:) :)

GonzaGAW
07-22-2014, 06:25 PM
hi val,

love your continued optimism about the teams prospects.
yes it would be more comforting if gary was up and playing now, but the body just needs time to heal evidently.
I take gary at his word, he told a couple of posters at hoopfest that come beginning of the season he will be fine.
hopefully we see fewer 3 guard offenses and gary will not be as physically challenged by often playing defense against a heavier and taller wing.

I do not think gary is indispensable to a great season, I think the indispensable player is karnowski. I love karnowski for his hard work, improvement and he is a zag! but I have never drank the karnowski cool aid and no not see him as a first round nba pick. I say indispensable because the team really has no substitute for him. we'd have to force a 4 to play out of position. the best depth and talent this team has ever had I think can fill in the other positions if god help us someone got hurt for the season.

but nobody would disagree, a health gary bell jr. is going to go miles towards the team reaching its goals.

3zagda
07-22-2014, 07:13 PM
GBJ.
IMO the Zags need GBJ healthy for a deep run. His value as a defender and sharp shooter is a barometer of Zag elite success.
I was at the 2013 March Madness game against Witchita State in SLC. I am convinced that if Gary was healthy for the second half of that game, we would have won it. The rest of that final 4 tourney is just conjecture, but how far might the Zags have gone?
Gary, Godspeed get well, Zagnation needs you!

jazzdelmar
07-22-2014, 07:27 PM
The most indispensable Zag is the point guard with the floppy, Dickausian hair.

Zagger
07-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Bell's a keeper - no doubt. He'll have a lot of help this coming season. Along with the fire power the team also needs good D to win against quality teams. That's where Bell can really help. With the team's depth fatigue causing injuries should be less of a problem. With Bell at 100%, even if later in the season .... I'm excited to see him play his senior year.

07-23-2014, 10:36 AM
hi val,

love your continued optimism about the teams prospects.
yes it would be more comforting if gary was up and playing now, but the body just needs time to heal evidently.
I take gary at his word, he told a couple of posters at hoopfest that come beginning of the season he will be fine.
hopefully we see fewer 3 guard offenses and gary will not be as physically challenged by often playing defense against a heavier and taller wing.

I do not think gary is indispensable to a great season, I think the indispensable player is karnowski. I love karnowski for his hard work, improvement and he is a zag! but I have never drank the karnowski cool aid and no not see him as a first round nba pick. I say indispensable because the team really has no substitute for him. we'd have to force a 4 to play out of position. the best depth and talent this team has ever had I think can fill in the other positions if god help us someone got hurt for the season.

but nobody would disagree, a health gary bell jr. is going to go miles towards the team reaching its goals.

Hi zaGAW, :)

Yep, I am VERY optimistic about this years team. Last years team not so much! :)

That is great that posters here got to chat with GB and give us fans a reason to be optimistic about his heath. That is some nice reassurance. Good points about the extra toll/burden on players having to defend out of position per se. What lineup do you foresee as the best 1 to prevent that from happening? Good points on our depth in the back court in comparison to the front court. I have always had a tendency to believe great guard play wins championships at the college level. At least since I have followed the college game closely. In the Zags case though it will be imperative to find someone to give us 6-10 quality minutes at the 5 (DS will be solid for + this I believe). Even if by committee or going small for very short periods of the game with 4 guards. If Perkins and Melson grow at the rate I expect them to our guards with a healthy Bell will be the best back court in the United States of America bar none! That is a recipe (cumulatively speaking) for some of the most delightful tasting basketball that Spokane has ever witnessed. As a matter of fact we could arguably be looking at one of the best back courts the West has ever seen! :)

Have a blessed day and lets GO ZAGS! xo

DixieZag
07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
I asked him at Hoopfest how the knee was doing and he gave me that million watt smile and said something about "as good as the doctors say it can be. It'll be alright." - - - which is not as good as "it's perfect and I'm killing them in the gym" but it's good enough.

07-23-2014, 03:59 PM
I asked him at Hoopfest how the knee was doing and he gave me that million watt smile and said something about "as good as the doctors say it can be. It'll be alright." - - - which is not as good as "it's perfect and I'm killing them in the gym" but it's good enough.

Hi Dixie,

Gracias! :)

V

MDABE80
07-23-2014, 04:26 PM
When you all see the guards new and old, you'll flip. It's a symphony of great athletes and kids. Must have Kevin running the show.......he's got eyes for everyone these days. He's bigger stronger and faster but the distribution of the ball is quite amazing.
I do hope Gary gets better. He's got so much to add. Kid's a superior shooter and plays defense like "stickum".
If his legs hold up, he'll have a super year. And this year he has some major help on D. Seem the the new kids love the sticky defense. Just one helluva squad Few's got.

07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
When you all see the guards new and old, you'll flip. It's a symphony of great athletes and kids. Must have Kevin running the show.......he's got eyes for everyone these days. He's bigger stronger and faster but the distribution of the ball is quite amazing.
I do hope Gary gets better. He's got so much to add. Kid's a superior shooter and plays defense like "stickum".
If his legs hold up, he'll have a super year. And this year he has some major help on D. Seem the the new kids love the sticky defense. Just one helluva squad Few's got.

Its going to be special Abe. Its gonna be really really really really special. I can feel it....BIG sigh! :)

Have a healthy and blessed week.

DADoZAG
07-23-2014, 06:58 PM

Great post abe. +1

Good ta hear your passion, Val.

Go ZAGS!

gonzagafan62
07-24-2014, 11:09 AM
This HAS to be at least VERY CLOSE to the amount of stud "Fourth year" guys as we have had since "The Run"

Kevin Pangos - Senior,
Gary Bell Jr. - Senior,
Byron Wesley - Senior,
Kyle Wiltjer - REDSHIRT Junior
Pryzemek Karnowski - Junior -

Bench:

McClellan - Redshirt Junior
Angel Nunez - Redshirt Junior
Kyle Dranginis Redshirt Junior

That's 31 years of basketball experience just in those 8 guys. Its hard for me to remember a lot of stuff between 98-99 and about 04 besides the NCAA tournaments because of my age, so if someone can remember a lot of experience let me know. ON the recourse of doing the tournament I set up I don't remember a set of Seniors and Juniors this deep, but I could be wrong.

sittingon50
07-24-2014, 03:13 PM
'99 team (IIRC)

Santagelo=RS Jr.
Frahm=Jr.
Hall=Sr.
Eaton=RS Sr.
Calvary=So.

Leisure=Sr.
Nilson=RS Jr.
Floyd=RS Jr.
Dench=Jr.
Spink=RS So.

That was all 10 guys that suited. Some of you other oldsters check me; not sure if Leisure or Hall RS'ed elsewhere before they transferred in. I know both had a bit of a circuitous path.

07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
This HAS to be at least VERY CLOSE to the amount of stud "Fourth year" guys as we have had since "The Run"

Kevin Pangos - Senior,
Gary Bell Jr. - Senior,
Byron Wesley - Senior,
Kyle Wiltjer - REDSHIRT Junior
Pryzemek Karnowski - Junior -

Bench:

McClellan - Redshirt Junior
Angel Nunez - Redshirt Junior
Kyle Dranginis Redshirt Junior

That's 31 years of basketball experience just in those 8 guys. Its hard for me to remember a lot of stuff between 98-99 and about 04 besides the NCAA tournaments because of my age, so if someone can remember a lot of experience let me know. ON the recourse of doing the tournament I set up I don't remember a set of Seniors and Juniors this deep, but I could be wrong.

Nice post and summary Gonz. The championship experience of KW also has tremendous value. When we are fighting through one of those NCAA Tournament games....lets say a Regional Semi-Final the experience of KW will be huge. He has experienced a championship run albeit on a team that pretty much coasted that year to the title. KP has to be a legit Bob Cousey Award candidate. I certainly don't profess to know as much about hoops as all you guys but I'll take KP as my guy this year over anyone. What I mean is from a purely team perspective he is the perfect fit to lead us to the promised land!

3zagda
07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
The 2012-2013 NCAA tourney team had amazing experience. Starting with Kelly & Elias. Add Hart, Stocton, and Dower as 4-5 year players. Then the "youth" are Kevin and Gary with 2 years as starters. Shem as a freshman coming off the bench, thats an amazing group of Zags.
That loss to The Shockers verifies the importance of GBJ and how I am so looking forward to having him healthy for his senior year.

Reborn
07-25-2014, 06:58 AM
I love the enthusiasm I'm seeing here. It feels good. The positive attitude that I'm seeing in GU bloggers is refreshing and makes this summer sweet. Like all of us, I'm looking forward to see Gary Bell have his best season of all and with his long time running mate Kevin Pangos lead the Zags to the Promise Land.

GonzaGAW
07-25-2014, 04:52 PM
I think the consensus on the probable starting line up is karnowski, wiltjer, Wesley, bell and pangos. I think this line up will serve bell and the team very well in defending like position players.
I think we will need more than 6-10 minutes backup for karnowski, I doubt he plays 30 minutes a game because of conditioning, fouls and talent on the bench. I'd guess 24-25 minutes, 27 tops.
when he is on the bench I would like to see a fast-hands group on the court, whether that is 4 guards or 4 wings I do not know. but i think 4 guards makes us too small on defense, but a combination of dranginis, nunez and domatis along side perkins and melson, with one starter thrown in might give us height and great speed. the combinations are literally endless, good luck to the staff in finding the right combination. with the deep bench I would think there would be no situation, fouls, opponent match ups that would not allow coach few to get the right players on the court. (of course once there they have to execute, than can never be taken as a given).

fun interesting season ahead! go zags!