PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the leading scorer this year?

lothar98zag
09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
See poll.

Explain your answer.

hockeyzag
09-07-2007, 10:52 AM
If it's true that they say his shot has improved, I think Pargo being a co-captain and team leader will be the guy to lead the team in scoring this year. I love his dedication.

brasszag
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Josh.

Pargo.. to Pendo... to Heyvelt for the dunk.

When he's "there" he's as good a PF as anyone I've seen for quite a while.

I expect he'll want to make a good showing to get drafted high and into the money. I can see Josh hammering out 18-22 a night - Pargo maybe 16-18.

lothar98zag
09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
btw, no matter how balance you may or may not think the scoring will be - there's a 99.99% chance that someone will end up with more ppg than everyone else. so pick one person! :)

lothar98zag
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd like to see the Davis vote explained...

cggonzaga
09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Maybe they thought it was rebounds or just someone being a smart***

I'll go with Josh on this one as well but I think Downs will be right there. I also think Pargo averages over 15 a game with Daye averaging over 10 a game.

wazZag
09-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I think it's gotta be Josh, only because he's proven he can consistently score. This leads me to believe he's capable, and the staff will focus the team on getting him the ball.

Rubbadub
09-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't think Downs will be in the top two. Maybe not 3.

MickMick
09-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I chose Downs, but I really have no idea. The first time in quite awhile as Morrison, Ravio, etc. were obvious choices.

cggonzaga
09-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think Downs will be in the top two. Maybe not 3.

Pretty plain statement Rubbadub. Care to expand?

LongIslandZagFan
09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Pargo... he took over games last year and early reports are that he has been working in his shot. I'd guess he'll be in the 17-19ppg range.

lothar98zag
09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Judging by the results so far...

GU fans are also high on Josh scoring a lot.

former1dog
09-07-2007, 01:51 PM
JMO - I would prefer it if Pargo was not the leader in average points per game this year. I wouldn't mind him being in the top 3 or 4. I would be ecstatic if he led the team in assists (again?) and to the tune of 7-8 + per game or higher.

thespywhozaggedme
09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
My predictions:

Josh- 19/9
Bouldin-14/5/2
Downs-14/5
Pargo-13/5/5
Daye-9/6

dim4sum
09-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Pargo's stock as a pro pick goes up if he improves his leadership ability and vastly improves his assist total. The scouts would like to see double doubles from him (points and assists). He need not lead the team in scoring for the Zags to have a stellar season.

BobZag
09-07-2007, 05:19 PM
I voted for Daye but with a caveat... That he plays 20 mpg. Josh, Matt, Jeremy and Micah should be scoring leaders, and possibly in that order, but Daye is the most natural born scorer we have, ie, Adam. Minutes will dictate.

tyra
09-07-2007, 05:21 PM
It seems to me that it will be hard for Pargo to be the leading scorer unless he has really brought the 3 pointer home over the interim. We need him to penetrate and score (including from the chairty stripe), penetrate and dish off, and also to hit the occasonal keep-them-honest 3. I see that as his role and I see it adding up to consistent and important points over the season but I don't see it translating to the team's high scorer. Too may other "threats" such as JH and Micah.

Zags-Bsee
09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Josh gets to many almost free points putting back offensive rebounds.

Gotta love it. :D

I love a lot of the others offensive games, but Josh does this very well and gets lots of opportunities.

Scotto
09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Josh can average 10 a game without even really trying, he's that talented. I think Josh will lead the team in scoring. I say 17.8 ppg this year.

El Voce
09-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Judging by the results so far...

GU fans are also high on Josh scoring a lot.

:roll: :roll:

SteeleMan
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
with the caveat that he is unleashed (i.e green-lighted) and plays 35 mpg. :)

If Josh has everything bball going then he most definately should lead in PPG along with Downs. Pargo should be the king at the point, getting 10-15 ppg. with 5-8 apg.

Getting my BiS tickets tomorrow..... is it bball season, yet?!?!?!?!?

TheZagPhish
09-08-2007, 10:17 AM
with the caveat that he is unleashed (i.e green-lighted) and plays 35 mpg.

I like your thinking and believe that it's possible, but as I ran the scenario in my mind I started imagining the defense that would be played against Pendo if he was viewed as a core threat. I don't know if I've seen DP play through swarming defense on a consistent basis. Right up to the end of last season opposing teams really didn't know how to cover him; he was still sort of a dark horse. Pendo capitalized on little pockets and opportunities to wreak havoc, but I haven't seen him lead the charge front to back whilst fending off smothering d. Honestly, I'd love to see it.

ZagSlug
09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I went for Downs.

I hope that the leading scorers will be very balanced but envision a few high scoring games where Micah is unconscious from 3. Those few games will push his average a bit higher than others.

gueastcoast
09-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm a little surprised there weren't more votes for Bouldin. With a year under his belt I'll bet quite a few of those shots he didn't finish last year are going to drop this season.

BobZag
09-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Bouldin is surrounded by so much offensive talent that I think he could end up being one of the best all-around, multi-faceted players...but being top scorer among this bunch is a tall order for him.

Nevtelen
09-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Honestly, I hope Bouldin does well in a lot of categories - at least middle of the pack in scoring and rebounding and 2nd in assists and A/TO ratio would be fantastic for him this year.

gamagin
09-08-2007, 09:05 PM
he decides to dominate underneath.

Maybe one of his size 15's (??) could be nailed to the floor (outside the 3 second key) so he won't be tempted to head for the top of the key.

I think he could ave. 16-20 with either that sweet half lay up, or putbacks.

but he's got to be ready and willing to bang bodies and jealously guard his territory & position. take charge.

I think he will, too.

MDABE80
09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
The thing about this question is that any of those guys on the list could score 15ppg. WIth all this talent, I think we'll see lots of games with 5 or more players in double figures. I do agree with gamagin though, if Josh is to sore big points ( and be the leading rebounder) he'll need to be close to the key at most times. In the past, he's been a bit reluctant to be in there but I'm sure Few and staff will be emphasizing how important it is.

We'll have some great rebounders available besides Josh. I suppose we all will just have to wait and see.

jpwils
09-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Josh Heytvelt in 70 % of games at around 20.

Micah Downs in 20% of games at around 25.

Pargo in 5% of games at around 18.

Pendo in 5% of games at around 18.

Daye will, however, be our leading freshman scorer at around 12 per game
in conference.

Zags-Bsee
09-10-2007, 03:26 PM
if Josh is to sore big points ( and be the leading rebounder) he'll need to be close to the key at most times. In the past, he's been a bit reluctant to be in there

I think Josh will lead in points and rebounds without shooting very many post up shots. I have a hard time remembering him ever shooting post shots. I think he is excellent at cleaning up missed shots or taking passes from people close to the hoop. I hope the coaches teach him the perfect place to be for a pass or a missed shot. I personally would let Pargo drive, Matt post up, Downs or Pendo shoot 3's and let Josh take the balls that come to him in the natural flow of the game.

Josh's best offense is getting a rebound or pass about 5-10 feet from the basket when his defender is out of position. :) It brings a smile to my face just thinking about a thunder dunk in those situations.

Offensively if our team develops great team work, the best offensive shot will be an open shot from a great pass or well run play. I would have a hard time deciding who would be best in that situation, they are all so equally skilled in unusual ways.

My wild guess in Daye will be the go to scorer by March. I think he is a combination of Pargo's driving ability, Matt's passing, Downs range, Pendo's accuracy, and Josh's height and athleticism. Josh may outscore Daye, but I believe the ball will be in Daye's hands most often when it is time to score.

gonza
09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
because I think he has more of a scorer's mentality than anyone else on the team. Josh could lead the team if he chose to, but he has not been inclined to play under the basket, and I'm sure he will want to involve his team mates to show he's a team player. I can see him taking over certain games if he needs (or decides) to. I think Pargo has said he likes a good assist as much as a bucket, so I think he will not be thinking "score" first. Pendo has always had a team first attitude, and Daye will defer to his older team mates for now.