• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrizZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Perhaps Few's Greatest Challenge

How will the coaching staff bring all this top shelf talent together to work as a well oiled machine? I can't imagine the challenge staff faces sorting through so much talent and working with personalities, egos and getting the most from the collective group for success. Every year is a challenge indeed, but this is serious opportunity and how can MF make it work? Will he?
    After some highly touted players resulting in busts, is this the year it comes together? We faithful remain optimistic and hopeful. Go Zags!
    This will be a most interesting year for sure.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!
  • titopoet
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
    How will the coaching staff bring all this top shelf talent together to work as a well oiled machine? I can't imagine the challenge staff faces sorting through so much talent and working with personalities, egos and getting the most from the collective group for success. Every year is a challenge indeed, but this is serious opportunity and how can MF make it work? Will he?
    After some highly touted players resulting in busts, is this the year it comes together? We faithful remain optimistic and hopeful. Go Zags!
    This will be a most interesting year for sure.
    No, I don't think so. He has veteran leadership in Bell, Pangos and Karno. He has a crew that has been through the wars in KW and Wesley who are focused on going far in March (one with a ring, I might add). With the Spurs dominating by play together and GU being compared to them a lot, he has a model to point to for success. I think he is going to enjoy this season more than ever (maybe as much as 2012 with Olynyk and Harris). He has the weapons, the motivation and the leadership.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

If it's a problem, then it's a very good problem to have indeed. Actually, it's quite simple. The best players will play the most. The practices will be all out wars, and the winners will win and they will play. I am sure the whole staff is looking forward to coaching this group of guys. This team is a what a top ten team looks like. And this Zag team now has the kind of players that the elite teams have had, with these kind of problems, for years. I'm happy to see that Gonzaga now has this kind of a problem.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
        If it's a problem, then it's a very good problem to have indeed. Actually, it's quite simple. The best players will play the most. The practices will be all out wars, and the winners will win and they will play. I am sure the whole staff is looking forward to coaching this group of guys. This team is a what a top ten team looks like. And this Zag team now has the kind of players that the elite teams have had, with these kind of problems, for years. I'm happy to see that Gonzaga now has this kind of a problem.
        Born, of course you're right. The only problem is that Few has never been the kind of coach to have true open competition. As we all know he favors seniors at the outset and sticks w them. So the real issue is what happens when one of these newcomers is clearly outperforming one of his seniors? I think that is at the heart of all the reservations being expressed. We all want the best five to play the most but that's not always the case at Gonzaga.

Comment

• vandalzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Born, of course you're right. The only problem is that Few has never been the kind of coach to have true open competition. As we all know he favors seniors at the outset and sticks w them. So the real issue is what happens when one of these newcomers is clearly outperforming one of his seniors? I think that is at the heart of all the reservations being expressed. We all want the best five to play the most but that's not always the case at Gonzaga.
          Just curious do you have examples of when open competition did not happen? Also, just when did he favor seniors over younger players?

Comment

• TexasZag
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2009

"Best" is subjective, so who’s to say that Coach Few isn’t playing the “best” on a given night? If it was my job to decide, it would be the guys who both: a) play the best within the system and give the team the best opportunity to be successful, personal talents and skills aside; and b) are the least disruptive to the cohesion/chemistry of the team. There are very few teams that succeed without having great team chemistry, and the most physically gifted athletes don’t always contribute positively in that regard. You need all five guys on the floor pulling the rope in the same direction; fighting for each other. Personal goals should be secondary.

Comment

• Zagdawg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

+1 TexasZag

Comment

• cjm720
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Highly touted players resulting in busts? We don't really get highly touted players and the one's we have all were/are outstanding...so I'm not sure where that's coming from. Maybe over-hyped on the board but not highly touted.

Few plays players he trusts. Period. If understanding the playbook and positioning is another way of saying favoritism then there might be an argument.

Overall, our deep, quality bench will only make us better. It's a good problem to have yet certainly will be a challenge to optimally rotate the players. #zagstrendingup #gozags
                Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

As has been mentioned previously -- our practices will be tougher than a lot of our games.

Good to have that level of competition at our practice facilty.

Go Zags

Comment

• Robzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

As we all know he favors seniors at the outset and sticks w them. So the real issue is what happens when one of these newcomers is clearly outperforming one of his seniors? I think that is at the heart of all the reservations being expressed.

Do you mean like Marquise Carter?

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I think the guy on this team who is going to become a big time leader is Wiltjer. How often do you get to have a guy on your college roster who played a meaningful role on a national title winning team? Wiltjer has seen what it takes. People on this team are going to pay attention when he speaks. He brings a fresh, unique perspective.

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                        I think the guy on this team who is going to become a big time leader is Wiltjer. How often do you get to have a guy on your college roster who played a meaningful role on a national title winning team? Wiltjer has seen what it takes. People on this team are going to pay attention when he speaks. He brings a fresh, unique perspective.
                        Excellent point.

As to any other issue regarding egos and doing what's needed to be done - they'll all have to answer to Gary and Kevin, and imagine how much those two care that you think you're not getting enough minutes or that coach is riding you hard.
                        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• cjm720
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

That's a great point and hadn't thought of that...do college players get rings or anything like that? If I were him, I'd make the freshman kiss the ring and just nod.
                          Go Zags!!!

Comment

• hooter73
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2008

I have been hoping this is the case since day one. Like Donnie Daniels or Morrison, when guys come in that have been there done that, it is a very valuable asset on and off the court.

Comment

• 75Zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

I am very curious to see how all this talent equates to wins in the 2015 NCAA tournament. It is 260 days until the first NCAA tournament game in Portland on March 19, 2015, and 261 days until the first game in Seattle on March 20th. We GU fans have been tested and tortured in the NCAAs in recent years. Here's hoping that the tournament finally goes our way.

Go Bulldogs!
                              Do not go gentle into that good night,
                              Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                              Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                              X