PDA

View Full Version : Owning Washington

Angelo Roncalli
09-07-2007, 06:17 AM
from Art Thiel:

Boise and its college are engaged in mainlining the same exotic drug of sports glory that Spokane is getting from Gonzaga's rise to prominence in college basketball.

The inland cities, always begging for scraps when the rest of the world looks at the Northwest, have found an easy, cheap, pollution-free way to get attention. The best part of the high comes in beating the University of Washington, the one-time regional sports colossus now known as a volleyball school.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/thiel/330723_thiel07.html

kjstoph1
09-07-2007, 06:37 AM
"We know a scandal, a violation or a major problem can destroy 10 years worth of good work overnight. We want to win as bad as anybody but don't want to cut corners."

Very odd how the star running back works for one of the biggest Boise State boosters...

Very odd, indeed.

DavyZag
09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Nah... that's not that uncommon. Lots of boosters the country over are local business owners, and lots of them hire athletes. It's not against the rules as long as the kids actually do work, but sometimes they can get in hot water, like what happened at Oklahoma with Rhett Bomar.

But really, you can't see that and automatically be suspicious.

kyle dixon
09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Billy Joe Hobert

spudzag
09-07-2007, 09:17 AM
As much as I'm not a Husky guy, I really can't stomach BJC (Boise Junior College) and their smurffy fetish.

This weekend I'll be chanting "Go Huskies".

BobZag
09-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Go Broncos. And keep irritating the hell out of the BCS snobs.

Sorry, spud. :)

El Voce
09-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Go Broncos. And keep irritating the hell out of the BCS snobs.

Sorry, spud. :)

Bob -- I'm telling your brother! No self-respective Vandal-type person could possibly root for the blue and orange. I guarantee you that my friend MT down in Boise will be pulling for UW this weekend.

USMC69
09-07-2007, 09:59 AM
As much as I'm not a Husky guy, I really can't stomach BJC (Boise Junior College) and their smurffy fetish.

This weekend I'll be chanting "Go Huskies".

As a former Vandal, no arguement here. Anybody but Boise.

Angelo Roncalli
09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
No self-respective Vandal-type person could possibly root for the blue and orange.

Normally that is true.

But take it from this Vandal (who owns a BSUcks tee shirt).

The smurf field is affront to the senses and sensibilities.

I still think BJC is a high school with ash trays.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Go Broncos! But just tomorrow.

mendiant
09-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Normally that is true.

I was trying to adjust my darn set while I was watching the game last weekend!!!

After some comparisons, I of course, discovered it was indeed the field and found it utterly obnoxious.

This is a toss-up for me - Smurf or Barney??? Don't think I even care this time.

spudzag
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Normally that is true.

Sorry no way, I'm no where near that desperate, BCS or not.

BobZag
09-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Can't root for a wine and cheese crowd of elitists and their yachts. Just can't. My brother did his damage to BSU, namely a 31-0 Vandal shutout of the Broncos in Boise, so I'll go with the school that gives the BCS the biggest pain. Go Broncos.

zaguarxj
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Can't root for a wine and cheese crowd of elitists and their yachts. Just can't. My brother did his damage to BSU, namely a 31-0 Vandal shutout of the Broncos in Boise, so I'll go with the school that gives the BCS the biggest pain. Go Broncos.

Elitist? UW is a state school, which means I can afford to send my kids there (2 so far). GU is pretty expensive for us middle-class types.

* braces for the inevitable rep bombs *

MDABE80
09-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I think BZ is thinking of the perception of most UW fans that they are elite.
Seem like this spills over to those fancy boats on the East end of the stadium the TV cams always show......wine, cheese and who knows what else!! You know the "life is just a breeze group". Thise images tend to sully all of UW I think. Only takes a few of those pix and the whole place gets mud on its skirts.

State schools usually are affordable, middle tuition types with great educations to be had if kids pursue the possibilities. Unfortuately, the media portrayals sort of ignore the education aspect and emphasize the "elite" concept. I don't we'll ever see that crowd of conspicuous consumption being imaged in Spokane during Zag games. And yet, the Zags outperform 95% or more of the BCS schools.

It might be the "work ethic" here at GU that seems SO attractive to the rest of the country because they're like the Zags. No elite pretense......just performance on and off the court. I think that's like things should be. Sound fundamentals seem to win in the end IMO...not the "yacht" or the "you can have it all" culture glorified by the media. I do agree though, the tuition at GU is rapidly approaching the "off scale" level for most people.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I think BZ is thinking of the perception of most UW fans that they are elite.
Seem like this spills over to those fancy boats on the East end of the stadium the TV cams always show......wine, cheese and who knows what else!! You know the "life is just a breeze group". Thise images tend to sully all of UW I think. Only takes a few of those pix and the whole place gets mud on its skirts.

State schools usually are affordable, middle tuition types with great educations to be had if kids pursue the possibilities. Unfortuately, the media portrayals sort of ignore the education aspect and emphasize the "elite" concept. I don't we'll ever see that crowd of conspicuous consumption being imaged in Spokane during Zag games. And yet, the Zags outperform 95% or more of the BCS schools.

It might be the "work ethic" here at GU that seems SO attractive to the rest of the country because they're like the Zags. No elite pretense......just performance on and off the court. I think that's like things should be. Sound fundamentals seem to win in the end IMO...not the "yacht" or the "you can have it all" culture glorified by the media. I do agree though, the tuition at GU is rapidly approaching the "off scale" level for most people.

GU's tuition is approaching ridiculous! I know, cost are higher, etc but I would like to see the endowments and scholarships pushed as much as possible (and I'm an alum, so I see the attempts at fundraising) so that local kids and local Spokane/North Idaho families can get their kids in there as much as possible for as long as possible, from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds. Gonzaga has been very much a Spokane institution for a very long time.

MickMick
09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
GU's tuition is approaching ridiculous! I know, cost are higher, etc but I would like to see the endowments and scholarships pushed as much as possible (and I'm an alum, so I see the attempts at fundraising) so that local kids and local Spokane/North Idaho families can get their kids in there as much as possible for as long as possible, from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds. Gonzaga has been very much a Spokane institution for a very long time.

The wife and I are determined to get our young daughter enrolled at Gonzaga a few years from now. We may get a little sticker shock along the way, but we still plan on it.

HillBillyZag
09-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Go Boise State! Anyone but the Fuskies!

hondo46
09-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Zags over Washington 2-1 in a men's soccer match that was not nearly that close. Just for BobZag an East Valley grad scored the winning goal.

FuManShoes
09-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Interesting theory, Doc, but I don't buy it. You mean to tell me there's no pretentiousness in K2, an arena paid for and filled with folks with a lot more money to blow on wine and cheese and than I'll ever have. I think it's GU's underdog story (real or imagined) on the court that appeals to the masses, rather than any comparison made between students/fans at one school or another. My guess is that every school (except Chico State) has its share of snobs, overachievers and just plain hard workers.

Rangerzag
09-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Zags over Washington 2-1 in a men's soccer match that was not nearly that close.

I Love It.

For Zag soccer that is very good.

montanazag88
09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Ran a college tuition calculator on what it will cost my daughter to fund 4 years at ZagU beginning in 2025.....try $300 plus G's. Love to do it, but just may send her to state college and invest the rest in blue chips so she can afford to buy her dad season tickets in 2029.

rawkmandale
09-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I guess I have to chine in, given all of the above. I'm a UW grad, but have not been a flaming Husky guy for quite a few years, given that I live in Spokane, and get a little sick of the "Seattle thing."

East Valley HS was mentioned above (Ben Funkhouser), and I have followed their football team for the last few years. They had a playoff game against number one Ferndale a couple of years ago in Bellingham, and I drove through snow to see it. Ferndale was awesome, and won, and I came to respect their incredible quarterback, Jake Locker. Great player, great kid - now the potential "Husky savior/program resurrector." Like I said, a kid of good character.

I have rooted for Boise State the last few years, given their ability to pull off Gonzaga-like feats. The Oklahoma game was incredible. What a thrill!

So, what to do now? Well, I think I have to pull for the Ferndale kid. Unless the freshman from Prosser (yea for Eastern Washington) gets in the game for BSU, I have to root for UW to "pull an upset." Man, that seems weird to say.

MDABE80
09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Interesting theory, Doc, but I don't buy it. You mean to tell me there's no pretentiousness in K2, an arena paid for and filled with folks with a lot more money to blow on wine and cheese and than I'll ever have. I think it's GU's underdog story (real or imagined) on the court that appeals to the masses, rather than any comparison made between students/fans at one school or another. My guess is that every school (except Chico State) has its share of snobs, overachievers and just plain hard workers.

Might be some pretentiousness Fu.....it's not on yachts or pictured on TV though. Sure some have lots of money to blow on wine, cheese and the like........but its's not shown anywhere.

If GU's underdog story isn't real ( ie imagined) go back and review the origins of this present decade of good work. Small recruiting budgets, a high school sized gym, very little in the way of travel budgets, etc.

Travel a bit around the country and you'll soon see why GU is a National favorite. Among many reasons is the surprising run by a small school without the BCS amenities. If fans reflect the school, I can't remember ANY flaunting of wealth or riches. Sure, it might be harder in a smaller basketball venue than an ourdoor BCS stadium......but that notwithstanding..it just ain't there for the nation or region to see.

And some schools do have snobs.........but this doesn't have much to do with the preception of THIS school. I doubt you'll ever see, yachts, booze, babes or the so called "finer" things in life surrounding a GU basketball game. Hard work is the perception of GU......unless, of course, one cares to alter the perception. Some would like to see GU as a place full of monied, spoiled brats with all sorts of things that usually accompany big money. Seen much of it? I'm on campus twice weekly and I don't.

mendiant
09-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Gee, I like wine and cheese, does that make me pretentious?

I have season tickets, does that make me rich?

Nope and nope.

In fact I will be missing a few games this year in order to get a nursing degree while I work full time during the day.

Why go back to school at 46? So I can continue to afford my tickets among other reasons.

It really annoys me when people assume that those of us with enough Zag love to sacrifice monetarily are painted with an elitist brush.

And for those people who are quite able to afford those great season tickets without much sacrifice - congratulations!!!

I hope to be there someday. You have my respect for wealth gained honestly.

I'm sure you have worked hard to get where you are and I am not the least bit envious or resentful of your prosperity.

That kind of attitude is for losers. I'm sure it will be met on this board again, though certainly not well met.

MDABE80
09-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah Mendi......but what about the Yacht? ;)

mendiant
09-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Well now, after I make my first 10,000,000 (by winning the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes) I don't imagine myself buying a yacht..they just don't float my boat.....

....see pun thread in Foo...
And I do understand the distinction between conspicuous consumption and earning a lot more than the average Joe while maintaining humility, grace and compassion.

It's been proven that certain programs use the wealth of their boosters to tempt recruits. Sad, but not worth the time to whine about unless you are toasting their utter failure at securing a truly successful program.

We know what side our bread is buttered on and that's good enough for me.

love,
mendiant

spudzag
09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Too sad for the Broncos. ;)

FuManShoes
09-08-2007, 05:09 PM
the GU gulfstream jet (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=5041)

maineblackbear
09-08-2007, 07:09 PM
did you know that 'classism' is not a word in microsoft word? don't believe me?-- try it!

Anyway-- I love the Zags and am immensely proud of my degree, but I have to respectfully and with restraint disagree with MDABE- I have spent a lot of time on the campus of GU. I have spent a lot of time on the campuses of a mid-level state school (Umaine) and on the campuses of varying community colleges.

There is a profound class difference between the trailer park I lived in and the community colleges I taught at; and another difference between the CCs and Umaine; and yet another between Umaine and GU.

No-one would criticize those who have money--those who have a lot often are the hardest working people who have the most integrity of anyone I know. I have no problem with wealth, power and the idea of helping our children attain the same.

I do think that the humble beginnings of GU basketball is/are almost completely unrelated to the humble nature of the GU student body. No-one would suggest that the student body at St. Mary's is fighting off the wolf at their door, but their gym is, shall we say, sub-standard.

Anyway,-- very proud to be from GU. And, I guess, maybe its just me, but I see classism in every part of our society--maybe I am looking for it too hard-who knows? I am not trying to be argumentative or anything else-- I just think GU is a wealthy school with a fairly well off student body and that is something to be proud of; not to shy away from. And awareness is a good thing-- now, my post is as long as any from RBZ--sorry-- mbb

and I would also add that the faculty at GU is very good at pointing out the classism and doing their best to educate about same-- I love the faculty at GU and cannot compliment them highly enough regarding their approach to pedagogy.