• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zag buddy
    Banned
    • Dec 2007

scrimmages

I got to observe the play of some of our players today. I recognized the following players Shem, Pangoes, Stockton, two of the walkons and Hyfelt, Hart, Edwards, KW, and I believe 3 of the freshman although I could not identify them yet. As a group playing 5 on 5 to 20 pts then change teams again and play another game, they definately were a very skilled group of players. I would guess they shot around 80%. I was impressed by Kyle W and Shem. Kyle made 3 3pters a dunk and a number of post moves. I don't remember seeing him miss a shot- so smooth. Shem has trimmed up to a better proportioned physic and played well. Both of them had good motors up and down the court. Kyle has no fat on him but could still use more muscle. I'm not saying he is weak, just that with more muscle he would be unstoppable. I'm not sure what his height is listed at but he appeared to be about 6'8". I would place him as a 3 on the floor. He does appear to be comfortable dribbling and handling the ball. The 3 new freshman were messing around ducking the ball, definitely no problems there and they all shot and drove well.
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Kyle Wiltjer height on Wikipedia, Kentucky's Roster, and our Roster all show 6'10"

Comment

• zag67
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Thx for the recap. Keep it up.

Comment

• HenneZag
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2012

Is it hard to get into these scrimmages? And when does the camps end?...I wanted to get down there
        America's Team!

Comment

• hooter73
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2008

The most talented games ever played at GU have never been seen.

Comment

• zagzealot
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
            Is it hard to get into these scrimmages? And when does the camps end?...I wanted to get down there
            Today's the last day and I'm not sure if they'll have an evening scrimmage or not. I'm guessing the campers go home after the loser-out tourney today. For future years, I'm 99% sure that anyone can get in.

Got to see 2015 recruit Jesse Wade with Davis High School out of Utah. Looked pretty solid. He'll be on an LDS mission for 2 years before joining the zags. I'm always impressed with the level of competition at these camps. It's worth a trip down there during these weeks.

And you're right, hooter73, these scrimmages are amazing. Former and current guys banging hard. Another treat is catching a pick-up game at the Warehouse when John Stockton and some former guys go at it. I swear John could play today in the NBA if he wanted to.
            Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
            f∞

Comment

• americasteam
              Kennel Club
              • Jan 2010

Saw Jesse Wade also. He is there with his team but did play afterwards with the guys. Had a couple nice moves. Seemed really small compared to some of the more developed bodies out there. 2 years should help him. Seemed cocky but I guess that's what makes him good. Argued an out-of-bounds call with Kevin, Kevin won. A play or two later, David Stockton gave him a pretty good shove on an arm bar. Maybe trying to show him he's not quite there yet. He certainly wasn't shy.

There is one more high school camp, so one more chance to go check it out. Camp #3 runs July 17 - July 20. When I go, I usually go one of the first 3 nights. The last day the camp ends early in the day and I don't think the guys play then. Fans can come watch as there are parents oftentimes in there to watch their own kids play at the camp. Just walk on in through the fieldhouse and make your way back to the gym.

Comment

• ZagaZags
                Banned
                • May 2010

Any updates from the Great Pacific Northwest?

Comment

• zag buddy
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2007

One of the new guard players stood out and looked like he was competing in a slam duck contest but I don't know the names yet. It's a real shame Josh Hyfelt had his one night problems here. He always plays like a man among boys. the NBA missed a good one there. But he appears so congenial and unselfish with the ball and helpful to the other players that it is a real joy to watch him play.

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
                    One of the new guard players stood out and looked like he was competing in a slam duck contest but I don't know the names yet. It's a real shame Josh Hyfelt had his one night problems here. He always plays like a man among boys. the NBA missed a good one there. But he appears so congenial and unselfish with the ball and helpful to the other players that it is a real joy to watch him play.
                    Agreed - Josh is one of the most natural PF's I've ever seen.

I think the coaching staff really dropped the ball making him put on all that weight to force him into being a center, rather than playing to his strengths.
                    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• Unbiased
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                      Agreed - Josh is one of the most natural PF's I've ever seen.

I think the coaching staff really dropped the ball making him put on all that weight to force him into being a center, rather than playing to his strengths.
                      I totally agree. Josh was so quick and agile before he bulked up. The guy could really jump. He never was the same after he gained all that muscle.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Melson is known as a pretty good dunker.

Comment

• hooter73
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jun 2008

Anyone have any word on what Nunez has been up to this summer?

Comment

• phxfireflames
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Unbiased View Post
                            I totally agree. Josh was so quick and agile before he bulked up. The guy could really jump. He never was the same after he gained all that muscle.
                            If I remember correctly Josh also had foot surgery and had a screw/pin placed inside. With his lateral quickness hampered, it was probably in his best interest to bulk up into the Center position. Pre-foot injury, Josh had amazing hops!

Comment

• exclusivelee
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2013

From June 30:

Teams:
                              • SHIRTS: Wiltjer, Perkins, Melson, & Edwards
                              • SKINS: Pangos, Karnowski, Alberts, & Griffin

Comment

Working...
                              X