PDA

View Full Version : Marco Got The Call !!!

Akzag
06-23-2014, 06:07 PM
According to the MLB Network, Marco Gonzales will be making his first start in the show for the Cardinals on this Wednesday !!!

Both Wacha and Garcia went on the DL on Monday, and while this will probably just be for a spot start or two while the some arms get healthy, it is still a big deal.

That's the good news.

The "bad" news is that he is getting the start in Colorado ...

The "cool" news is that he is from Fort Collins.

Congrats to Marco, and I hope he has friends and family galore that are able to attend.

( I heard this on tv, and will link to a story when I can ... ).

Akzag
06-23-2014, 06:31 PM
here we go ...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140623&content_id=81248614&notebook_id=81251000&vkey=notebook_stl&c_id=stl

Gonzales was set to start the Texas League All-Star Game on Tuesday but he'll make his Major League debut a day later instead.

TerpZag
06-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Akzag, thanks for posting this news about Marco Gonzales...indeed, Congratulations are in order...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/640/OT/OTYCUGWPGUAHAEY.20140624021509.jpg

Gonzales To Make MLB Debut At Home State Colorado Rockies

SPOKANE, Wash. – Former Gonzaga University pitcher Marco Gonzales has been called up to the St. Louis Cardinals and will make his Major League debut Wednesday against his home state Colorado Rockies.

The Cardinals made the announcement Monday.

A native of Fort Collins, Colo., he will make his Major League debut just a little over a year after being the 19th player drafted in 2013 MLB Draft following his junior season with the Bulldogs.

He began this season with Palm Beach of the Class A Advanced Florida State League where he was 2-2 with a 1.43 ERA in 37.2 innings over six starts. He had fanned 32 and walked just 8 prior to being promoted to Springfield, Mo., of the Class AA Texas League where he has posted a 3-2 record with a 2.33 ERA in seven starts. He has pitched 38.2 inning with 46 strikeouts and 10 walks. For the season he is 5-4 with a 1.89 ERA in 76.1 innings, striking out 78 and walking 18 in 13 starts.

Gonzales had a spectacular year in 2013 for the Zags that earned him Co-West Coast Conference Player of the Year accolades. The recipient of the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award as the finest two-way player in the nation, the southpaw was masterful on the mound with a 7-3 record and a 2.80 ERA with two shutouts. At the dish, the left-handed hitter led the Zags with a .311 batting average, two home runs and 26 RBI in 46 starts.

In his three seasons in a Zags uniform, Gonzales is 26-7 with a 2.34 ERA, nine complete games, four shutouts and 278 strikeouts. He was a career .311 hitter with four home runs and 69 RBI. Gonzales is in the top five of the Bulldogs record book in wins, strikeouts and ERA.

Gonzales was drafted out of high school by the Rockies in the 29th-round but opted to attend Gonzaga instead...

Gonzaga Article Link including Gonzales' 2014 Season Statistics (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=209529374)

LongIslandZagFan
06-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Going to be checking the highlights on that game on SportsCenter... Might have to watch BBT as they tend to do the whip around between games. Might get to see parts of his game.

sittingon50
06-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Great news!! Good Luck, Marco.

Akzag
06-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Going to be checking the highlights on that game on SportsCenter... Might have to watch BBT as they tend to do the whip around between games. Might get to see parts of his game.

Fwiw ... it's a day game, and will be broadcast on MLB Network for those of you that have it ... I think it is a 3pm ET first pitch

Akzag
06-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Yup ... TiVo is set ...

Wednesday, June 25, 2014
St. Louis at Colorado 3:10 PM (ET) Gonzales vs Bergman

and ...

Marco Gonzales ‏@MarcoGonzales_ 5h

Today I got to call my family and tell them I get to pitch in the big leagues. I'll never forget this moment!

sittingon50
06-24-2014, 07:04 AM
http://redbirdrants.com/2014/06/24/marco-gonzales-make-mlb-debut-st-louis-cardinals/

LongIslandZagFan
06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Fwiw ... it's a day game, and will be broadcast on MLB Network for those of you that have it ... I think it is a 3pm ET first pitch

3PM central? Pacific?

Nevermind... saw it in the other post. Cool.. should be home to watch it.

gu03alum
06-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Fangraphs Analysis on Marco Gonzales (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/prospect-watch-can-marco-gonzales-be-the-next-wacha/)

Unlike Wacha, Gonzales lacks a plus fastball. His heater sits in the upper 80s and can work into the low 90s. His curveball lacks consistency but could be a decent third offering once he learns to command it. The reason the breaking ball would be an important development would be to create a change of eye level. Currently, the lefty relies on his heater to change minor league hitters’ eye sights but 87-91 mph fastballs up and over the plate could be a tantalizing treat for big league hitters. The good news is that he shows above-average control of the pitch but he does struggle to command it at times.

Gonzales’ bread-and-butter weapon is his changeup, which is truly nasty. It has outstanding fading action — which can generate a lot of swings and misses, as well as weak ground-ball outs. The off speed pitch is so effective because it comes from the same arm slot, although he does slow his arm down at times when throwing it. Because he lacks a go-to breaking ball, his numbers have been better against right-handed hitters than lefties during his career; his K-rate drops from 10.35 to 5.25 K/9. It bears noting that the lefty is also a strong athlete and moves around the mound very well.

TerpZag
06-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Cardinals-Rockies Preview

(AP) -- Marco Gonzales grew up rooting for the Colorado Rockies, even pitched at Coors Field a few times in his high school career.

Perhaps it's only fitting the St. Louis Cardinals left-hander will make his major league debut in familiar surroundings.

As the injuries continue to mount for both pitching staffs, Gonzales is set to oppose fellow first-time big leaguer Yohan Flande on Wednesday when the Cardinals look to take two of three from the Rockies.

"I couldn't have written it any better than this," Gonzales told the MLB's official website. "It came a lot faster than I thought it was going to come, but I believe that I'm ready and the organization believes in me."

Gonzales was promoted from Double-A Springfield out of necessity with Michael Wacha (right shoulder stress reaction) and Jaime Garcia (left shoulder inflammation) going on the 15-day disabled list Sunday.

Making matters worse, Shelby Miller was forced to leave in the third inning Tuesday due to back tightness in a 10-5 loss that ended the Cardinals' three-game winning streak.

Gonzales, 3-2 with a 2.33 ERA at Springfield, has a deceptive fastball and a wicked changeup - pitches that served him well at elevation when he was a kid in nearby Fort Collins and led Rocky Mountain High School to four straight state titles.

"A lot of guys come in here (to Colorado) not knowing what to expect," manager Mike Matheny said of the 2013 first-round pick. "But this is something he grew up with."

Gonzales, whose dad is a pitching coach in the Rockies' minor league system, is expected to have Yadier Molina back behind the plate after the All-Star catcher got a scheduled day off Tuesday. The battery mates will try to help get the Cardinals (42-36) back on track after they had compiled a 1.88 ERA while winning 11 of their previous 15...

The Seattle Times Article Link (http://scores.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mlb/preview.asp?g=340625127)

sittingon50
06-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Marco gets thru the 1st: groundout, strikeout looking then strikes out Tulo on 3 straight swings & miss. Great start!!

Doesn't hurt to have Yadier Molina calling pitches!

Akzag
06-25-2014, 11:41 AM
The crowd does seem pro-Marco ( and Cardinals ) ...

Akzag
06-25-2014, 11:44 AM
With Shelby Miller only making it 3+ innings yesterday, I would have to believe that Marco has a long leash ... the Cards need their starter to eat up some innings ...

sittingon50
06-25-2014, 11:47 AM
3 up, 3 down in the 2nd.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=340625127&refresh=30&full=1&inning=0

Akzag
06-25-2014, 11:49 AM
and BAM ... Marco doubles in his first at bat ...

sittingon50
06-25-2014, 11:51 AM
and BAM ... Marco doubles in his first at bat ...

Leading off top of 3rd, 0-2 pitch!

sittingon50
06-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Walks #8 hitter, but gets thru it:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?gameId=340625127&refresh=30&full=1&inning=0

Akzag
06-25-2014, 12:36 PM
three good innings ... gives up a lead off homer to Stubbs in the 4th, foul pop up for Tulo, Mourneau single, double to Rosario, ( a Bull Durham-esque wild pitch with no ill results ), a 2-run double by Dickerson, walk, rbi single, rbi fielder's choice, groundout ...

Blood drawn, Rockies 5 - Cardinals 1 after 4

sittingon50
06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Marco gets lifted for a pinch hitter in top of 6, 2 on, 2 out. Jay grounds out. Marco leaves trailing 5-4.

5 Inn-82 pitches-7 hits-5 runs (all earned)-2 BB-3K's. 4 shutout innings, one 5 spot at Coors. A good performance, all in all.

Akzag
06-25-2014, 01:26 PM
that was fun ... hopefully, we'll be able to watch him for many years to come

Akzag
06-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Cardinals tie it up in the 8th, getting Gonzales off the hook for the loss ... and then they take the lead.

sittingon50
06-25-2014, 02:05 PM
That works!:clap:

TerpZag
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Final Score: Cardinals defeat Colorado 9-6...

The Seattle Times Box Score Link (http://scores.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mlb/boxscore.asp?gamecode=340625127&final=true)

The Seattle Times Recap Link (http://scores.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mlb/recap.asp?g=340625127&final=true)

TerpZag
06-25-2014, 06:05 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/640/JA/JAGCITHQGEKALMM.20140625235115.jpg

Former Zag Gonzales Goes Five Innings In Major League Debut

DENVER, Colo. – Former Gonzaga University left-hander Marco Gonzales made his Major League Baseball debut Wednesday at Colorado, going five innings and getting a no-decision.

Trailing 6-5 after seven innings, St. Louis pushed across two runs in each of the last two innings for a 9-6 victory and a no decision for Gonzales. The Fort Collins, Colo., native, starting against his home state team, threw 82 pitches, 57 of them for strikes, allowed seven hits, five earned runs, walked two and struck out three.

Gonzales, called up Tuesday from Springfield, Mo., retired nine of the first 10 men he faced, allowing just a one-out walk to DJ LeMahieu in the third.

The winner of the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award in 2013 at Gonzaga, Gonzales helped his cause with a leadoff double to left-centerfield in the top of the third in his inaugural big league at-bat. Gonzales advanced to third on an infield out and scored on Matt Holliday’s single to center to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.

But Gonzalez, who fanned three in the first three innings including Drew Stubbs for his first major league strikeout, surrendered a first-pitch, leadoff home run to Stubbs in the fourth inning. After Troy Tulowitzki fouled out, the next five batters reached base. With runners on first and second, Corey Dickerson doubled to center to score two more Rockies’ runs and Dickerson scored on LeMahieu’s single. By the time the dust had settled Gonzales had been touched for five runs and five hits in the inning.

Gonzales put down a perfect sacrifice bunt in the fifth following a leadoff single by Matt Elis, who scored on a sacrifice fly to cut the St. Louis deficit to 5-2. Matt Adams followed Holliday's double with his third home run of the series to make it 5-4.

In the Colorado fifth, Gonzales was touched for a pair of hits but got out of the inning unscathed and gave way to reliever Seth Maness to start the sixth inning...

Gonzaga Article Link (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&ATCLID=209530912)

gozagswoohoo
06-26-2014, 07:29 AM
As a St. Louis resident and an obvious huge zags fan....I love this! The game was a lot of fun to watch. I had a lot of my friends texting me throughout the announcement and the game.

He started off great, and then got a bit busted up. But that Colorado team has a bunch of sluggers! Tough first start for a rookie! AWAY, and at a team like that. I look for Marco to be a GREAT pitcher for the Cardinals, no doubt.