PDA

View Full Version : Sam Dower update

zag buddy
06-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Nice article about Sam, strengths and weaknesses etc.
http://westcoastconvo.com/2014/06/12/wcc-nba-draft-profile-sam-dower/

Oregonzagnut
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
I guess the reason he pulled out of the Portsmouth Invitational was to prepare physically for bigger and better dates with NBA teams. I'm glad Dower is looking that direction first and giving it all he can by losing weight and focussing on what NBA teams will want in a PF.

Being 23 yrs and a 5th year senior won't convince teams of his potential, but being 18-20 lbs lighter WILL help increase his vertical leap, agility and stamina. Maybe that will open up a whole other aspect of his game that he never really got to develop at Gonzaga.

hooter73
06-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Europe. Just doesnt have the athleticism to be a power forward or the might to be a center in the league. He'll have huge numbers in europe though imo.

maynard g krebs
06-13-2014, 10:29 AM
I guess the reason he pulled out of the Portsmouth Invitational was to prepare physically for bigger and better dates with NBA teams. I'm glad Dower is looking that direction first and giving it all he can by losing weight and focussing on what NBA teams will want in a PF.

I think his agent told him not to go to Portsmouth because the style of play there would not give him an opportunity to show his strengths, but would emphasize his weaknesses. Most of the guards there are trying to show off for the scouts, and Sam needs to play with guards who will emphasize getting him the ball on the block or short corner where he's an effective scorer.

The big guys who show well at Pmouth are more the athletic scrappers, shot blockers, offensive rebounders, than guys whose main talent is low post scoring or jump shooting.

Oregonzagnut
06-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I think his agent told him not to go to Portsmouth because the style of play there would not give him an opportunity to show his strengths, but would emphasize his weaknesses. Most of the guards there are trying to show off for the scouts, and Sam needs to play with guards who will emphasize getting him the ball on the block or short corner where he's an effective scorer.

The big guys who show well at Pmouth are more the athletic scrappers, shot blockers, offensive rebounders, than guys whose main talent is low post scoring or jump shooting.

Interesting info about the Portsmouth. Maybe losing weight and getting in NBA shape wasn't the reason he chose to avoid the Portsmouth, but IMO he made the right choice.

What if Dower was the top player or scorer? Is the Portsmouth important enough that it could propel its best player into the draft when they weren't before?

eastsideballer
06-13-2014, 09:10 PM
It sure didnt hurt Brandon Davies

Interesting info about the Portsmouth. Maybe losing weight and getting in NBA shape wasn't the reason he chose to avoid the Portsmouth, but IMO he made the right choice.

What if Dower was the top player or scorer? Is the Portsmouth important enough that it could propel its best player into the draft when they weren't before?

ZaGranny
06-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 3m
Congrats to ex-Zag Sam Dower, who will play with Portland in NBA summer league.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Samuel Dower Jr. ‏@DoloDower 2m
Thanks!! RT@SRJimm: Congrats to ex-Zag Sam Dower, who will play with Portland in NBA summer league.

ZaGranny

hooter73
06-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Wow, rock on Sam!

ZaGranny
06-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 3m
Congrats to ex-Zag Sam Dower, who will play with Portland in NBA summer league.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Samuel Dower Jr. ‏@DoloDower 2m
Thanks!! RT@SRJimm: Congrats to ex-Zag Sam Dower, who will play with Portland in NBA summer league.

ZaGranny

Reborn
06-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Congrats Sam. Good luck too. I'd love to see you in NBA. Now put up those numbers.

Oregonzagnut
06-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Good job Sam!!! Give 'em that beautiful, soft touch, mid-range game that we have seen so many times. The NBA needs guys who have that and can be consistent from 5-10 feet. And if he can defend and rebound, he has as good a chance as Harris did, IMO.

seacatfan
06-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Could be a good situation for Sam. Blazers had no draft picks this year. Their bench didn't always consistently produce points, if he can show them some good stuff this summer they might sign him for the season. Best of luck.

sittingon50
06-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Good Luck, Sam!

ZaGranny
07-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Guess he won't be playing in Vegas.

http://www.eurobasket.com/France/basketball.asp?NewsID=365866

Sam Dower
SO Maritime Boulogne (ProA) signed 24-year old American center Sam Dower (206-116kg-90). He just graduated from Gonzaga (NCAA). In 33 games he had 14.1ppg, 7.3rpg and 1.0apg last season. He helped them to win WCC Tournament and end the regular season at the top position. A very impressive season as he was named to NABC Division I All-District 9 1st Team, All-WCC 1st Team and to the Reese's NCAA D1 All-Star Game.
As mentioned above Dower is just out of the college and it will be his first season as a pro.

ZaGranny

DixieZag
07-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone know how much money a first year player in that league might make? If it's between $40-$80 k for a half years work that seems like a great "first job" out of college - in France, too. Tres bien, have fun big Sam.

maynard g krebs
07-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone know how much money a first year player in that league might make? If it's between $40-$80 k for a half years work that seems like a great "first job" out of college - in France, too. Tres bien, have fun big Sam.

Don't know if this is accurate or not, just hearsay, but there's a guy who posts on educk regularly who says he trains draft prospects, and that Sam worked out with him this spring. He said Dower is similar to Mike Moser; both are the kind of players that can play in Europe for a dozen years and make around 300 thousand a year.

hondo
07-06-2014, 06:38 AM
300K per year plus French cuisine. C'est si bon.

HenneZag
07-06-2014, 08:27 AM
300K per year plus French cuisine. C'est si bon.

Sounds pretty darn good to me!

ezcure17
07-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Just checked with Sammy D, no contract for French team, and he WILL be in Las Vegas for the summer league

sittingon50
07-06-2014, 11:05 AM
You mean "THE INTERNETS" was wrong?

bigblahla
07-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Could this be a situation where he is both playing in Summer league and has a contract pending overseas?

Go!! Zags!!!

ZaGranny
07-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 7m
Exchanged texts with Sam Dower Jr. He HASN'T signed with French team yet. He's playing with Toronto instead of Portland in summer league.

ZaGranny

ZagaZags
07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 7m
Exchanged texts with Sam Dower Jr. He HASN'T signed with French team yet. He's playing with Toronto instead of Portland in summer league.

ZaGranny

Thanks for the heads-up.

basketballzag
07-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.

D-league max salary is or was around $29-30k. Europe is almost always the better option IMO

MTZag03
07-07-2014, 07:43 AM
You mean "THE INTERNETS" was wrong?

Document this. This might be the start of a trend. I mean, the internet has never been wrong before. If this is true, the whole thing could start crumbling down.

DixieZag
07-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Document this. This might be the start of a trend. I mean, the internet has never been wrong before. If this is true, the whole thing could start crumbling down.

And production in American business will skyrocket, lifting an otherwise slow recovery. Actually, when needed to get out of a recession, maybe the NSA should just bleach the thing for two years and let it loose.