PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog trademark infringement suit

Zag 77
06-11-2014, 08:39 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jun/11/spokane-daiquiri-bar-owner-in-fight-with-gonzaga/

GU moves to protect the Bulldog image from the guy who promoted the "Date Grape Koolaid" drink.

Don't mess with GU's image.

raise the zag
06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jun/11/spokane-daiquiri-bar-owner-in-fight-with-gonzaga/

GU moves to protect the Bulldog image from the guy who promoted the "Date Grape Koolaid" drink.

Don't mess with GU's image.

I read the article 3x's and still can't comprehend what is going on?

Talk about a confusing article which jumped around and didn't make one clear determination -- at least imho. Trademark infringement on logo or name or university offering or what?

Can someone please explain? I'm a little slow today it seems...

MDABE80
06-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Certain people at the Spokesman hate this guy . He's an easy target. Seems to be in the midst of some form of mischeif most of the time. It's kind of a non story.

Zagdawg
06-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Not too many brands want to be associated with this guys business-- Kraft also made his stop using Koo-aid brand.

http://www.krem.com/news/Kraft-Foods-appalled-by-local-bars-Date-Grape-Koolaid-243532751.html

DixieZag
06-11-2014, 05:13 PM
This guy drums up trouble wherever he goes.

BTW - the hearing mentioned regarding the dispute with his landowners did not go his way, either and they will be evicted.

Oregonzagnut
06-11-2014, 08:31 PM
As a 3 decade Zag, I can readily tell our Bulldog logo from any other. I have even detected errors on occasion where off brand hats and shirts clearly had the wrong bulldog on it. However, a brand logo is MOST important, not to people like us who are already familiar, but to all the people who have no clue at all. That is where it matters most. So Gonzaga cannot ignore any mis-use or potential damage to Gonzaga's brand name and reputation , any more than we should tolerate someone else taking our face without permission and then copy and paste it into offending advertisements or products.

Date Grape? Kinda sick if you ask me and Gonzaga has every right to oppose any word play association with "date rape". Horrible joke, especially in a bar.

But more specifically from "BitLaw.com":
Trademark rights arise in the United States from the actual use of the mark. Thus, if a product is sold under a brand name, common law trademark rights have been created. This is especially true once consumers view the brand name as an indicator the product's source.

The NCAA, ESPN, SI and countless other media and news outlets use the unique Gonzaga LOGO as an icon or link. and that logo speaks for itself in the minds of what that link means and where it goes. Right to Gonzaga. And all those massive corporations have already defined our unique logo for us and they prove that there can be no confusion or borrowing of the logo for any other use or link.

titopoet
09-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Walking past there, the establish has been closed.