PDA

View Full Version : WCC Announces 2007-8 TV Schedule

DavyZag
09-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Check it out:

http://wccsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090607aac.html

Lots of ESPN and ESPN2, but no ABC. :(

EDIT: Here is the complete list for Gonzaga.

Saturday, December 29 Tennessee at Gonzaga 1:00 PM ESPN2
Thursday, January 10 Pepperdine at Gonzaga (W) 8:00 PM ESPNU
Monday January 14 Gonzaga at Pepperdine 9:00 PM ESPN
Monday January 21 San Francisco at Gonzaga 9:00 PM ESPN
Monday, February 4 Gonzaga at Saint Mary’s 8:00 PM ESPN2
Saturday, February 16 Gonzaga at San Francisco 5:00 PM ESPNU
Monday, February 18 Gonzaga at San Diego 8:00 PM ESPN2
Monday, February 25 Gonzaga at Portland 8:00 PM ESPN2
Monday, March 3 Santa Clara at Gonzaga 8:30 PM ESPN2

Only two games on ESPNU, including a weird one on Saturday at San Francisco at 5 PM... that doesn't seem right, does it? Shouldn't that one be on ABC probably? Why make us play on a Saturday for an ESPNU game?

CDC84
09-06-2007, 12:55 PM
12/5 - Wazzu at GU is also listed as an ESPN game on that release.

The list of ESPN/ABC games on that release is not totally accurate/finalized:

Gonzaga takes on Western KY on ESPNU (Great Alaska Shootout, first round), and if GU makes the GAS title game, that’s on ESPN2. The 2nd round contest is a web game (ESPN 360).

The Hall of Challenge game versus UConn on 12/1 will be on ESPN:

http://www.hoophall.com/genrel/071007aaa.html

I also have a feeling you will see the St. Joe’s game on 11/29 on one of the ESPN channels, as well as the Ronald McDonald charity game versus Georgia on January 5. This is just conjecture on my part.

The most intriguing omission is the Memphis game in late January. Might we have a CBS game this year? I hope so...that is, if it's a national game. The Memphis athletics page says that TV is TBD, but you know someone is going to televise it nationally. It’s also possible that ESPN has it and like UConn, it's just not on this release.

BobZag
09-06-2007, 02:32 PM
If you don't have ESPNU, you, my friends, are screwed. I see the Wazzu game is stuck on the U, as is SMC's Oregon game. That's crap.

DavyZag
09-06-2007, 02:42 PM
A lot of sports bars get the U... it is a bit of a drag to have to be out of the house late on Monday nights though. I knew I should have invested in that satelite!

CDC, good catch on the WSU game. I'm guessing that those other games aren't listed because they aren't part of the agreement between the WCC and ESPN. I bet the contract with ESPN and the WCC is something like "we get our pick of Monday night conference games, as well as a few select non-conf home games as well", hence the SMC-UO and GU-WSU games being on the list.

Also noticed that a few women's games were included... the WCC must have done some arm twisting to get those on!

CDC84
09-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know if ESPN can just look at GU's non league sked and just pick the games they want without any input from the WCC?

If the WCC has any bargaining power in this, I am going to write them a nice long letter about the GU/Wazzu game being on ESPNU, and I think the university should as well. It's inexcusable that a game of this magnitude between two in state, ranked rivals be put on a channel that most people in state and throughout the Pacific NW can't get.

And if the WCC doesn't have bargaining power, I'm going to write them a letter about how foolish they were (and disrespectful of fans) to agree to a contract with these kinds of terms.

I like having games on ESPN as much as anyone, but the league can't just sell its soul for television contracts. It needs to consider its fans and what's good for the players in terms of academics and such. I am hoping that a new conference leader will be more considerate of such factors instead of just diving into things at the first opportunity.

CDC84
09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090607aaa.html

The release indicates that the 12/20 game against Oklahoma is on ESPN2.

TheZagPhish
09-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I echo those complaints about the ESPNU broadcasts, even though I just got the network when I switched to Dish. It's fundamentally unfair because it relegates the games to a venue that only the minority has access too. Seems like a disservice to the team and the fans.

With my new hardware setup I think I am unable to pull DVR content off my box and onto my computer. But perhaps some enterprising person out there has the capacity to TiVo the ESPNU games and, oh I don't know, perhaps share the games somehow? Clips at least?

I will endeavor to see if I can somehow figure this out myself. I was able to pull off the TiVo many games last year (hence the YouTube uploads). Wish me luck - I'm going in!

ZagMania
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
You could host them on bittorrent or another filesharing service, I would download them and seed them so that you don't have to keep it on your hard drive.

BoltZag
09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
The only game with a possibility of getting CBS's attention is Memphis. I am really hoping for that. Even still, it could be regional as CBS only runs national games in a few slots throughout the season and those generally go to the Big East or Big Ten. CBS and ABC will announce their schedule in October/early Nov.

As for the Wazzu game on ESPNU...this seems strange. KHQ/FSN Northwest have all the GU home games, so unless they sold this game to the worldwide leader, I'd be surprised if it won't, at the least, be televised locally by KHQ.

Hard to say until GU releases the sched.

ZAGduck
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
It's inexcusable that a game of this magnitude between two in state, ranked rivals be put on a channel that most people in state and throughout the Pacific NW can't get.

This is not an accident. Disney/ESPN has a long, nationwide battle with the major cable companies. It's all about money! ESPN is banking that the fans of high profile small market teams will scream bloody murder to the cable companies, forcing them to accept a higher $$ programming contract that may include ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, Disney Channel East and West, ABC Family and SOAPnet.

To me, having it on ESPNU is better than not having it at all (but then again, I can get ESPNU on satellite...). My big beef is that the chances of getting the game in HD is 0% on ESPNU.

thespywhozaggedme
09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Phish,
I have Dish and I don't get ESPNU. And I paid extra for the sports package so I get FoxNW to see all of the Zags games. How do you get the U?

TheZagPhish
09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Phish,
I have Dish and I don't get ESPNU. And I paid extra for the sports package so I get FoxNW to see all of the Zags games. How do you get the U?

Hmm.... I'm not sure. Package perhaps? I have the America's Top 250.

Boy, I'd better be sure... (ZagPhish runs to TV to check) Yep, channel 148. Looks like HS football on right now.

lawzag
09-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I think Zagphish should host a party at his house every night when the Zags are on ESPNU & we could all go to his house to watch it:D
I'd be willing to supply some of the beer....

what do you think phish?:)

TheZagPhish
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
I think Zagphish should host a party at his house every night when the Zags are on ESPNU & we could all go to his house to watch it:D
I'd be willing to supply some of the beer....

what do you think phish?:)

(Takes rough head count, sizes up living room, looks concerned)

I LOVE the idea! Not sure it'll work, but hey!

I may be torch bearer on grabbing these games somehow, though. :)

BoltZag
09-06-2007, 07:00 PM
This is not an accident...It's all about money!

Damn them for wanting to make money...:confused:

Coverage on a particular network, such as ESPNU, is part of a bigger deal with either the conference or the school. The contract that allows GU to be exploited all over most Big Monday broadcasts also calls for several games featuring WCC teams to be carried on any of the ESPN networks, including ESPNU.

This isn't some backdoor deal to screw GU fans, it's part of the contract. Now, all that being said...it sucks.

75Zag
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Greetings all.

I give money to Bulldog Club, I give money to the Great Teacher's Program, and they screw me by putting games on ESPNU. I just called Comcast in Portland, Oregon to ask about ESPNU and the very honest and helpful young man in India said that he had never heard of ESPNU. Are there sports bars in Portland with ESPNU feeds?

Go Zags

TheBeast
09-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Remember when the only chance you had to see the Zags play was in person, not in Spokane, and even then, probably not in Spokane? Well, me neither, but I hear tell...

Angelo Roncalli
09-06-2007, 07:55 PM

You're ire is misdirected.

The reason the WSU game is on ESPNU is because of the WCC's deal with ESPN. Not Gonzaga.

Here's some background on the ESPNU/Comcast battle:

http://ncaahoopstoday.blogspot.com/2007/07/case-of-big-ten-vs-comcast-vs-espnu.html

As to watching the game. DirectTV has ESPNU. You need to find a friend, bar, etc. with a DirectTV satellite.

CDC84
09-06-2007, 08:17 PM
You get ESPNU on Direct TV through buying the sports pack:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100069

With the pack you also get all of the FSN networks (including Fox Sports NW), CSTV, the Comcast Sportsnet channels (which are really good for picking up WCC games not involving Gonzaga), and so on. Note that the FSN channels have blackout restrictions with the NBA, MLB and certain football conferences that have ball games on ESPN Full Court.

Also, regarding Memphis....the ball is in their court regarding TV. Naturally, I am sure they want to get the best TV coverage that they can get. I know Memphis had quite a few games on CSTV last season...perhaps C-USA has a contract with them. But I can't see the GU/Memphis game being on CSTV.....

229SintoZag
09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Ditch Comcast for DirecTV.

I did it prior to the 2003-2004 season and have never looked back.

I actually think I only missed one GU game all of last year (and that one was my fault).

It actually is not that much more than comcast in my area. And rumor is that DirecTV will have way more HD content than any cable provider soon when they finish their upgrade. (No, I do not work for DirecTV).

As for the ESPN deal, this year's schedule is pretty good on ESPN networks considering the significant step backward we are taking with the quality of this year's OOC. That's the subject of another thread, but really we have only two games I would consider potentially "sexy" nationwide: UConn and Memphis. And UConn may not even be much of a draw considering that they cratered last season. That's quite a deviation from a season with three ACC opponents (two of whom were Duke and Carolina).

The WSU game will be a great game among two top teams. The problem is that, outside of the Spokane media market that covers both schools, this really isn't interesting to many other fans. We aren't quite Kentucky-Lousiville, or even Cincinnatti-Xavier just yet.

One other thing I notice is no games except one earlier than 8 pm pacific. I.e., no games on ESPN networks listed are earlier than 11 pm east coast time. so much for "national" exposure. I assume the UConn, Georgia, etc., games CDC references will have better start times, but if the WCC thinks that they as a conferenc are getting any better exposure for the non-Gonzaga schools through this contract than they'd get with a standard Fox Sports Net regional type deal, they're wrong.

thespywhozaggedme
09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Thing is, I paid extra specifically for the sports package. I do get a lot of channels, but alas not ESPNU or VS (So I won't be able to see the BYU/UCLA game).:mad:

zags97
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Maybe Gonzaga and or local networks (khq?) will work to get the WSU vs. GU broadcast in this area on a different channel (besides ESPNU). It's happened before.

BoltZag
09-07-2007, 08:04 AM
I give money to Bulldog Club, I give money to the Great Teacher's Program, and they screw me by putting games on ESPNU.

Congratulations, you are the proud recipient of the most uninformed post ever award.

CDC84
09-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Maybe Gonzaga and or local networks (khq?) will work to get the WSU vs. GU broadcast in this area on a different channel (besides ESPNU). It's happened before.

It won't happen. ESPN won't allow it. I have been told this is all a part of ESPN's grand strategy to force cable networks to carry the channel. They did the same exact thing to the Xavier/Cincinnati rivalry game last season. It caused such an uproar throughout the greater Cincinnati area that the local cable company was forced to put ESPNU on their channel lineup. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever to see the next several Xavier/Cinci games on ESPN and ESPN2. ESPN got what they wanted business wise.

Your best hope is just to complain and complain and complain to cable.

USF
09-07-2007, 09:05 AM
It is in the best interest of the WCC to have a deal with ESPN. It's my understanding that all WCC teams share in the ESPN money, no matter who is playing. If Gonzaga has a deal with Fox Sports, the other WCC teams do not get paid. So while it might not be the best for Gonzaga, I can see where the WCC is coming from. But I agree about ESPNU. I don't know one person who has it.

As for the late starting times, that's just the way it is for west coast teams. Unless the WCC plays its games at 4 p.m., there will be little east coast coverage.

BobZag
09-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm hearing the Zags-Memphis game will very likely be on ESPN.