PDA

View Full Version : David Stockton working out for Jazz

ZaGranny
06-07-2014, 08:44 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604723/Lottery-prospect-Aaron-Gordon-David-Stockton-to-work-out-for-Jazz.html?pg=all

A day after working out a few guys with familiar names to local college fans, the Utah Jazz are bringing in a high-profile player whose name might be heard when the team picks fifth in the June 26 draft.

Arizona forward Aaron Gordon, No. 8 on ESPN writer Chad Ford's Top 100 board, will be the first projected lottery athlete to participate in a pre-draft workout in Utah this year. First-round prospects Adreian Payne (Michigan) and Jerami Grant (Syracuse), and Gonzaga point guard David Stockton are other recognizable names among the nine who’ll go in two sessions following the introductory press conference of new coach Quin Snyder.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

wnczagfan
06-07-2014, 06:33 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604723/Lottery-prospect-Aaron-Gordon-David-Stockton-to-work-out-for-Jazz.html?pg=all

A day after working out a few guys with familiar names to local college fans, the Utah Jazz are bringing in a high-profile player whose name might be heard when the team picks fifth in the June 26 draft.

Arizona forward Aaron Gordon, No. 8 on ESPN writer Chad Ford's Top 100 board, will be the first projected lottery athlete to participate in a pre-draft workout in Utah this year. First-round prospects Adreian Payne (Michigan) and Jerami Grant (Syracuse), and Gonzaga point guard David Stockton are other recognizable names among the nine who’ll go in two sessions following the introductory press conference of new coach Quin Snyder.

More at the link.

ZaGranny

Thanks for the link. Happy for David!

exclusivelee
06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
David Stockton Pre-Draft Workout 6.7.14

David Stockton talks about working out for the Jazz prior to the 2014 draft:

http://www.nba.com/jazz/video/2014/06/07/stockton6714mov-3295073/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpjhHA-CUAAqnL1.jpg:large

sittingon50
06-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks lee.

Oregonzagnut
06-08-2014, 10:17 AM
While I am surprised, I always thought that David had something engrained in his genetics that precluded him to be a great point guard. I am not sure what that something is but I know it is there.

To add in for the 1000th time here at GUBoards, David has the IQ and offensive PG skill to play in the NBA, but his size and defense are concerns.

ZAGLAWQB
06-08-2014, 11:21 AM
NBA respect for John requires that David be given the enjoyable experience and exposure to pre-draft review.

jazzdelmar
06-08-2014, 11:33 AM
While I am surprised, I always thought that David had something engrained in his genetics that precluded him to be a great point guard. I am not sure what that something is but I know it is there.

To add in for the 1000th time here at GUBoards, David has the IQ and offensive PG skill to play in the NBA, but his size and defense are concerns.

OZN, all due respect but I think his "size and defense," among other attributes, pretty much "preclude" him from ever playing in the league.

B Wayne
06-08-2014, 11:37 AM
NBA respect for John requires that David be given the enjoyable experience and exposure to pre-draft review.

I'm not sure what that sentence means. Who is doing the respecting? The NBA? Who is doing the requiring? Who is being required ?

jazzdelmar
06-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure what that sentence means. Who is doing the respecting? The NBA? Who is doing the requiring? Who is being required ?

Lmao. Take a look at the sentence in the prior post. DS continues to produce paroxysms in a handful of true believers on this board.

zag buddy
06-08-2014, 02:08 PM
What does it take for some posters here to give David Stockton some respect for what he has achieved?

jazzdelmar
06-08-2014, 02:26 PM
What does it take for some posters here to give David Stockton some respect for what he has achieved?

A lot of us here have given him all the credit he has earned. What would it take for some posters to ask for more more and more?

wnczagfan
06-08-2014, 03:03 PM

I like him, and enjoy watching him play. I will miss him being on our team next year, and I wish him the best of success for the future. I would love to see an NBA team pick him up.

Cheers!

jazzdelmar
06-08-2014, 03:11 PM
I like him, and enjoy watching him play. I will miss him being on our team next year, and I wish him the best of success for the future. I would love to see an NBA team pick him up.

Cheers!

Along with world peace, a vibrant economy, racial and gender equality, and a cure for every major disease.

Oregonzagnut
06-08-2014, 03:17 PM
NBA teams aren't going to invite any and all son's of former NBA stars just for nostalgia or "to be nice". David's skills are worth the effort to see if he can make it on a squad. Any remote chance and the Jazz need to test him out. While we can't discount his name, we also can't discount his skills and IQ. There is likely a lot of added interest for the Jazz in Utah just by inviting Stocktons's son. Heck, we are interested.

Name recognition means a lot to any franchise and Stockton is as big a name as it gets in Salt Lake City. Outside Smith and Young of course.

GoZags
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Along with world peace, a vibrant economy, racial and gender equality, and a cure for every major disease.

Now I get it. After reading the subject header I thought David was just north of San Diego and that we were going to get a first hand report. Color me disappointed.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI

exclusivelee
06-08-2014, 03:35 PM
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/following-a-legend-the-david-stockton-story/

"Following a Legend: The David Stockton Story"

maynard g krebs
06-08-2014, 03:35 PM
While I am surprised, I always thought that David had something engrained in his genetics that precluded him to be a great point guard

Preclude: prevent from happening; make impossible.

ZagaZags
06-08-2014, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=GoZags;1020649]Now I get it. After reading the subject header I thought David was just north of San Diego and that we were going to get a first hand report. Color me disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bcYppAs6ZdI

Fixed it. :)

jazzdelmar
06-08-2014, 04:48 PM
It'd be a short workout but I'm sure a delightful convo with a great young man.

zag buddy
06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Jazz your left handed compliments suck

krozman
06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't think he has the skills to be considered for an NBA player on the floor. But the jersey sales would be higher than anyone else they draft that year. NBA is a business. He will be signed!

ZagLawGrad
06-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Poor DS. Forever a lightning rod.

hooter73
06-08-2014, 10:28 PM
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/following-a-legend-the-david-stockton-story/

"Following a Legend: The David Stockton Story"

got playing time for his D? He got playing time because he could deliver the ball like Meech couldn't even dream of.

gonzagafan62
06-09-2014, 07:01 AM
If Jazz really doesn't think that DS belongs in the league, then why must he keep repeating and beating a dead horse? Well that's what Jazz is here for!

duper
06-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Michael Stockton also got a try out with the Jazz and has had a spot on the summer league team in past years.....

NBA teams aren't going to invite any and all son's of former NBA stars just for nostalgia or "to be nice". David's skills are worth the effort to see if he can make it on a squad. Any remote chance and the Jazz need to test him out. While we can't discount his name, we also can't discount his skills and IQ. There is likely a lot of added interest for the Jazz in Utah just by inviting Stocktons's son. Heck, we are interested.

Name recognition means a lot to any franchise and Stockton is as big a name as it gets in Salt Lake City. Outside Smith and Young of course.

Oregonzagnut
06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
David is better than Michael by a significant margin.

I have been one who thought it possible Stockton could play in the NBA, and not just because of his name. But anyone who says his name isn't a plus would be lying, and just because someone admits he is a Stockton doesn't mean they think it's nepotism or crooked favors to the Stockton's. He has his dad's genetics and he was immersed in a professional basketball environment and how anyone can say that doesn't matter is in denial. David started on a team that went 29-7 and 61-10 over 2 years.

BTW, anyone could see that Adam Morrison had obvious defensive liabilities and so I don't see why so many here at GUBoards is considered a hater to say the same thing about David. I'll NEVER rule out any possibility here at Gonzaga for any player, but why sugarcoat things.

Zags11
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
got playing time for his D? He got playing time because he could deliver the ball like Meech couldn't even dream of.

Poor meech. The black sheep in the GU community. Maybe he will get to be a pro player one day......oh wait.

Zags11
06-09-2014, 10:12 PM
If Jazz really doesn't think that DS belongs in the league, then why must he keep repeating and beating a dead horse? Well that's what Jazz is here for!

Kind of like the ### shots at meech who left years ago. Hypocritical 150%.

ZagaZags
06-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Kind of like the ### shots at meech who left years ago. Hypocritical 150%.

To be fair, Meech is a better football player than he was a basketball player. I hope he sticks with the Packers.

MDABE80
06-09-2014, 11:18 PM
David , while having some shortcomings, gave us the best he had game in and out. What more can we ask from any of our players? Not much. I don't think he'll stick with the Jazz but he's trying hard. Wish him the best, forget those few bad games and his physical shortcomings.....and remember what he did for the Zags.

ZagaZags
06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
David , while having some shortcomings, gave us the best he had game in and out. What more can we ask from any of our players? Not much. I don't think he'll stick with the Jazz but he's trying hard. Wish him the best, forget those few bad games and his physical shortcomings.....and remember what he did for the Zags.
+1

LongIslandZagFan
06-10-2014, 04:10 AM
Wow... way to take a positive (David working out for Jazz) and turn it into a full blown Meech bashing orgy.

But this line takes the low class cake:

Meech was horrible by every GU standard and I hated that we had to play him.

You guys stay classy... if it is possible.

Zags11
06-10-2014, 05:26 AM
Wow... way to take a positive (David working out for Jazz) and turn it into a full blown Meech bashing orgy.

But this line takes the low class cake:

You guys stay classy... if it is possible.

Just wow. Smh. I agree LIZ, and I hope Stockton makes it against all odds. Another zag to watch and root for in my book. David was tiny in stature and had limitations but was big in heart and excelled in certain aspects of the game that made him blossom.

I will never root for a zag to fail. That is just plain silly to say and annoys me.

Go Zags.

Zags11
06-10-2014, 05:28 AM
To be fair, Meech is a better football player than he was a basketball player. I hope he sticks with the Packers.

Never said he wasnt. Im just tired of Meech bashing. Was he good? No, not really. Did he try? Yes.

I agree, I hope he makes and sticks in the nfl. :)

Zags11
06-10-2014, 05:29 AM

+2. Great post Abe. Alright im off to work.

gonzagafan62
06-10-2014, 06:16 AM
Meech did a lot of good things at GU. One in particular was the last shot that sent my head screaming in the town of Sullivan, MO. I ran up and down the streets of the town, and nobody cared but me. Haha. That's fine. I loved it. Meech is always on my good side for a shot like that.

Oregonzagnut
06-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Saying that "Meech was horrible by every GU standard" is plain wrong. Not one Zag fan said that on the night of March 21, 2009. Gonzaga's standard is doing your best at all times and Meech and Stockton did that in spades. However, bringing up Meech in certain conversations that involve David are valid IMO, as long as ridiculous false insults are avoided. IMO, most of us would like to figure out Few's recruiting patterns and logic and talking about it is part of why we are here. Here is my take why Meech keeps coming up:

Both Meech and David were enigmas. Neither passed the "eye test" as a Div 1 PG, yet Few committed to both 100% in spite of quantifiable deficiencies. Few's system utilizes more brains than brawn and in the past, Few had to try to recruit Tourney-worthy athleticism that can be coached into an elite Div 1 PG. Demetri proved he had the athleticism that made him a millionaire this year in the NFL. Few was right on the money with Demitri, and we don't give Few ANY credit for calling that 100% correctly. But it didn't pan out as far as basketball skill development. In contrast, David lacks the athleticism but has the elite court vision and hoops IQ. Classic mid-major conundrum.

Pangos and Bell were a step up. Perkins and Melson are even more of a step up. Few won't have to gamble so much to find diamonds in the rough, which is the recruiting story of EVERY mid-major! I for one will not bash David, Meech OR Few for doing their best and swinging for the fences.

We complain about not having the athleticism even when we know that elite combinations of NBA skills and athletic hops is rare. Few tried. But we all need to see by now, Few makes very calculated gambles. Both situations paid off in many ways. Coaching DG and DS added to Few's recruiting knowledge, the program's ability to develop while maintaining the teams national success and our WCC dominance.

Gutsy and genius IMO and it is exactly how Gonzaga will rise out of perpetual mid-major dominance and into perpetual national NCAA tournament dominance.

HenneZag
06-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Saying that "Meech was horrible by every GU standard" is plain wrong. Not one Zag fan said that on the night of March 21, 2009. Gonzaga's standard is doing your best at all times and Meech and Stockton did that in spades. However, bringing up Meech in certain conversations that involve David are valid IMO, as long as ridiculous false insults are avoided. IMO, most of us would like to figure out Few's recruiting patterns and logic and talking about it is part of why we are here. Here is my take why Meech keeps coming up:

Both Meech and David were enigmas. Neither passed the "eye test" as a Div 1 PG, yet Few committed to both 100% in spite of quantifiable deficiencies. Few's system utilizes more brains than brawn and in the past, Few had to try to recruit Tourney-worthy athleticism that can be coached into an elite Div 1 PG. Demetri proved he had the athleticism that made him a millionaire this year in the NFL. Few was right on the money with Demitri, and we don't give Few ANY credit for calling that 100% correctly. But it didn't pan out as far as basketball skill development. In contrast, David lacks the athleticism but has the elite court vision and hoops IQ. Classic mid-major conundrum.

Pangos and Bell were a step up. Perkins and Melson are even more of a step up. Few won't have to gamble so much to find diamonds in the rough, which is the recruiting story of EVERY mid-major! I for one will not bash David, Meech OR Few for doing their best and swinging for the fences.

We complain about not having the athleticism even when we know that elite combinations of NBA skills and athletic hops is rare. Few tried. But we all need to see by now, Few makes very calculated gambles. Both situations paid off in many ways. Coaching DG and DS added to Few's recruiting knowledge, the program's ability to develop while maintaining the teams national success and our WCC dominance.

Gutsy and genius IMO and it is exactly how Gonzaga will rise out of perpetual mid-major dominance and into perpetual national NCAA tournament dominance.

Well Said OZ!

ZagLawGrad
06-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Love Meech.

bigblahla
06-10-2014, 06:13 PM

Nice!

Go!! Zags!!!

zag69
06-10-2014, 06:58 PM

Thanks for your contribution, Abe. Well done.

ZAGLAWQB
06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Observations: 24 yr old NFL CB is on edge for technique and experience as the speed(4.53-4.56) goes quickly for DBs in their late 20s.
Green Bay not in a rebuilding/educating mode, window is 2 yrs at most and then they will go to "re" basis.
He must be a special teams contributor from day 1.
as to Jazz: Quinn Snyder and owners/GM need to be on same page so the "distraction" element never raises it ugly head....fans, reporters, and owners are a funny lot when appraising "what is" vs "what we need". True evaluation will have to include "practice value". NBA try-outs expose all your talents.

ZagLawGrad
06-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Nice!

Go!! Zags!!!

:cheers:

Section 116
06-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Nice piece here-Stockton works out with Suns:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2014/06/11/suns-david-stockton-workout-with-suns/10350825/

BTB
06-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Nice piece here-Stockton works out with Suns:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2014/06/11/suns-david-stockton-workout-with-suns/10350825/

This is awesome. Since his RS sophomore year I have said I believe David has a chance to make it in the NBA. His offensive skillset is perfect for the NBA game, and I always thought it might be enough to overcome his weaknesses. Still a longshot, but time will tell if he makes it. He will at least get a shot in summer league though.

SWZag
06-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Great news David! Keep working hard and giving your best.

Baseline
06-15-2014, 09:54 PM
I raised Race Horses years ago and learned never to discount the pedigree. David is very smart and skilled, its a matter of can he overcome the height limitation. One should never judge until you give it a try. Can you imagine if David had been blessed with 4 more inches in height!
Just hoping the best for a great guy.
Meech was all heart and in the end a better football player than BB.

wnczagfan
06-24-2014, 05:35 PM
There was an NBA twitter (@mikeascotto) that indicated that David worked out for the Indiana Pacers Monday. Sams twitter seems to indicate that David may be in Minneapolis this week. Any info on that?