PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Eyeing Local Talent

gonzagafan62
05-29-2014, 08:43 AM
http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/5/28/5759510/northwest-recruiting-update-gonzaga-eyeing-local-talent

Really nice article. Also has a piece about Melson, and Murray (whom we are trying to recruit now)

TSSF: Before we dive into future prospects, let's hear about Silas Melson. What makes Silas such a special prospect for Gonzaga? Where have you seen the most improvement from him over the past year?

Left Coast Recruiting: Melson is what you call a silent assassin on the court. He is very quiet but his game does all the talking. What makes Silas so special is that he has the ability to shoot anywhere on the court and has the athletic ability to get to the rim. The Gonzaga commit has bounce as well which allows him to finish at the rim with contact. Melson isn't too bad on defense.

He has improved on his ball handling to create his shot and ability to find his teammates. Gonzaga is getting a good one in Melson. Few and staff are happy that they landed Silas before his recruiting blew up.

TSSF: What kind of role do you think Silas can fill during his freshman year at Gonzaga?

Left Coast Recruiting: I think Silas can come in and get some minutes and be a spark of the bench. They will run plays for him to utilize his shooting ability. Like I said before, Silas has worked on creating his shot etc., so we shall see if all the hard work pays off. I think it will and Melson will have a good career at Gonzaga and end up being a key piece to the team down the road.

TSSF: Dejounte Murray might be the most popular recruit among Gonzaga fans. How would you describe Dejounte as a prospect?

Left Coast Recruiting: Murray is about 6'4-6'5 with broad basketball shoulders with a slim body. Dejounte is a basketball player many coaches won't mind having on their team. He does a bunch of everything on the court and at times flirts with triple doubles. Murray recorded a couple triple doubles his junior season at Beach.

Murray can extend his shot to the three point line, finds his teammates, and has the knack to rebound which he does very well. Murray ceiling is very high and he hasn't even scratched it yet. Once he gains weight and puts it all together, he will have a chance to be big time down the road.

More at link

BobZag
05-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Keith Smith. News to me. Good to hear!

gonzagafan62
05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Keith Smith. News to me. Good to hear!

I also am very glad to hear about Keith Smith. Sounds like a stud to me. Love it!

maynard g krebs
05-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Saw Smith on tv in the MLK. He's 6'6, not 6'3, with pg skills. Agree with the Brandon Roy comparison for him.

Zag 77
05-29-2014, 01:33 PM
I have to laugh when you speak of Seattle as being "local." I suspect Seattle might have an issue being considered a suburb of Spokane.

:lmao:

exclusivelee
05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
FWIW, "Gonzaga Eyeing Local Talent" is the name of the article TSSF wrote

Zag 77
05-29-2014, 01:40 PM
So I guess that TSSF is geographically challenged.

:roll:

gonzagafan62
05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
So I guess that TSSF is geographically challenged.

:roll:

If you wanna call it that. I mean now that we have gotten so many international recruits, I would say local is the state of Washington itself/the northwest. If we cannot compete and get some of the local kids from our state that reigns bad news. Gotta keep winning those battles.

MTZag03
05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I have to laugh when you speak of Seattle as being "local." I suspect Seattle might have an issue being considered a suburb of Spokane.

:lmao:

Seattle pretty much feels superior to everyone in everything. I would argue it is local though. it's less than five hours driving. in montana that would be local.

GrizZAG
05-29-2014, 04:49 PM
In Baltimore that would be about a dozen states :lmao:

BobZag
05-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Seattle is local enough for me. Missoula, too. Maybe Portland as well.