• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagginAround
    Redshirt
    • Aug 2011

Best Gonzaga game you have ever been to

We all know this upcoming season has the potential to be one of the greatest Gonzaga teams we have ever seen. I am trying to go to the UCLA game this year and it got me thinking, what is the best Gonzaga game you have ever been to? I know there was a post for the top 3 greatest Zag games, but I think being there makes it more special.

My favorite game I went to was in 2006 Gonzaga vs UW in the Kennel. Being from California, I had no idea the rivalry with Washington and that all changed during the week that led up to the game. The Heytvelt alley-oop to open the game had everyone on their feet and was the start of a nice 20 point butt whooping against the #13 team in the nation. My favorite part, which is also my favorite part ever in a Gonzaga game, was when P-Mac hit a 3 pointer and when Washington was coming down the floor, he stole the ball and dunked it. The Kennel erupted and that was the loudest place I have ever been too. The atmosphere during the whole game was something I will never forget and to top off the last rivalry game with a 20 point blowout was a perfect ending.

What is your favorite game you have ever been too?
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Zags vs. Tar Heels in MSG. Hansborough got his lunch handed to him by Josh and barely played the second half. The looks of disgust and frustration on the face of UNC fans as we left the Garden decked out in Zag gear was friggin' priceless.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• SteelCityZag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Aug 2007

Sweet 16 game in Phoenix in '99 against Florida, hands down. I saw "The Runner" live from a few rows back (poached seats) with the fellas from class of '89. There was nothing like it. Launched us into the Elite Eight. Casey Calvary became immortal that day.

Comment

• cjm720
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

1) UW in the Kennel, Bouldin's freshman year
        2) Ammo's bank shot winner against Oklahoma State in the Key Arena
        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
          Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
          • Feb 2007

#22 Zags (Bouldin, Sacre, Harris) at Illinois

Scary game, but wow, what a finish.

Steven Gray scored 20 points, Elias Harris and Robert Sacre added 19 apiece and Gonzaga rallied to beat Illinois 85-83 in overtime Saturday after blowing a big lead.
          Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
            #22 Zags (Bouldin, Sacre, Harris) at Illinois

Scary game, but wow, what a finish.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...illinois_N.htm
            Let me clarify though. That's the best GAME I have been to. The most amazing game and experience was easily St. Mary's at Gonzaga. Man oh man...nothing like seeing (and being IN!! WOOT WOOT!) the Kennel Club. That was 4 and a half years ago, and I STILL get chills thinking about it.

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

vs. Stanford in 2006 - I believe it was an ESPN game day. Morrison was awesome at the end of that game. Many of the Adam Morrison games that year were so much fun to be at.

I was at that last UW game too. That was a ton of fun also. The Kennel Club was on it's game with the Spencer Hawes and Appleby taunts. I had drank quite heavily before the game started and I lost a lot of energy by the second half. What a first half that was though. I recorded the game on my computer and made dvds for all of my Western Washington family. I still have a couple floating around my house somewhere.
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• willandi
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Hard to say, probably the double OT against Arizona, but it is the best game I have NEVER been to! Haven't been able to get to a single one. Living in Spokane it would seem that at some time I could have made one, but living 25 miles north and as a small business owner, it isn't as easy to re-arrange time...plus, TV always has the best angles, replays etc.
                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                  • Feb 2007

FOLLOW UP QUESTION-

What is the best game that you have never been to, that hasn't yet taken place?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Zags vs Oklahoma State, New Year's Eve 2012. Bell hit the dagger after a perfect screen from Mike Hart.

Afterwards, my son had his picture taken with most of the team.

Comment

• 77Zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2007

Wow... good thread.

one that comes to mind first is the Zags at Santa Clara.

Brody Angley (sp) fouls, actually tackles, Steven Gray on an inbound last second play. He sinks two free throws..it goes to OT. Then Austin Daye blows up to take down the Broncos.

Very nice to see all the Rough Riders in shock. Zag smiles were ear to ear after that one.

Go Zags!!
                      “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

UGH!

As much as I am one of the truer of true Diehard Zag Fans, I have never been to a game. Just cannot afford to drive longer than STL or Columbia. Really sucks. I missed my chance when they played the Billikens in STL when I was younger, but my dad wouldn't take me.

Go Zags!
                        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Baseline
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2011

The E8 game in 2014/2015 that put GU into the Final Four.
                          It will be great!
                          "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Florida in the '99 Sweet 16
                            Missouri (OT) in the Battle in Seattle
                            Stanford in the 2nd round of '99 tournament
                            Last UW game in the Kennel
                            3 or 4 games at UW
                            Stanford in the 1994 NIT at Stanford
                            1983 two point over Santa Clara and future NBA player Nick Vanos in Kennedy after being down huge at halftime
                            The Brody Angley SCU game (most improbable win in Zag history)
                            Triple overtime win over Idaho State and nation's leading scorer Lawrence Butler in 1978 in Kennedy
                            99 WCC championship win over SCU at SCU
                            December '99 game over UW at Key Arena (Santangelo 180 dunk on breakaway)
                            '77 win over Weber State in Kennedy on a Scott Finne last second 25' jumper
                            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                              Florida in the '99 Sweet 16
                              Missouri (OT) in the Battle in Seattle
                              Stanford in the 2nd round of '99 tournament
                              Last UW game in the Kennel
                              3 or 4 games at UW
                              Stanford in the 1994 NIT at Stanford
                              1983 two point over Santa Clara and future NBA player Nick Vanos in Kennedy after being down huge at halftime
                              The Brody Angley SCU game (most improbable win in Zag history)
                              Triple overtime win over Idaho State and nation's leading scorer Lawrence Butler in 1978 in Kennedy
                              99 WCC championship win over SCU at SCU
                              December '99 game over UW at Key Arena (Santangelo 180 dunk on breakaway)
                              '77 win over Weber State in Kennedy on a Scott Finne last second 25' jumper
                              Show-off

Comment

Working...
                              X