PDA

View Full Version : Meech Feature on Fox Sports

Zags_Fanatic
05-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Go ahead and move this if necessary. An interesting article about Meech's transition to football and the NFL draft. He doesn't exactly ooze humility in this article, but all the best to him in making the roster.

http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/ex-sweet-16-guard-goodson-says-packers-got-draft-day-steal-052014

Ekrub
05-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Good athlete. That's about all I will say

hooter73
05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Wow.

uhhh, Go Zags?

VaBeachZAG
05-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Go ahead and move this if necessary. An interesting article about Meech's transition to football and the NFL draft. He doesn't exactly ooze humility in this article, but all the best to him in making the roster.

http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/ex-sweet-16-guard-goodson-says-packers-got-draft-day-steal-052014

Definitely not a fan, but if he makes it, good for him.

gonzagafan62
05-21-2014, 09:42 AM

I will always adore Meech, because this means another couple years of rubbing it in my dads face that everywhere you look there is a Gonzaga reference in the world of sports. Cannot wait to see him play for the Packers, even though I am a Cowboys fan.

sittingon50
05-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Always liked Meech, wish he would have had a better experience @ GU. And don't diss him for his "confidence." Probably been watching Richard Sherman clips!

That he got beat in a game of horse by some football players doesn't surprise me.

cjm720
05-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Awesome for Meech...hope he makes the team. His confidence and swagger is great to see!

zag buddy
05-21-2014, 10:26 AM
2.4 million contract and a 103,000 signing bonus ain't to bad for a basketball player, but of course he is a Zag.

DixieZag
05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Awesome for Meech...hope he makes the team. His confidence and swagger is great to see!

Certainly not my personal style but to be fair to him, I think everyone here should consider that an attitude like that now seems like a prerequisite for NFL cornerbacks.

The other thing is, this is one kid who has worked for every single opportunity and made good on most of them. He has been handed absolutely nothing in his life.

Ebay
05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Good for Meech. He clearly made the right decision transferring to Baylor. We should all be thrilled for him. Once a Zag, always a Zag. I'll always have a reason to watch the Packers now.

cjm720
05-21-2014, 10:43 AM
2.4 million contract and a 103,000 signing bonus ain't to bad for a basketball player, but of course he is a Zag.

Link? That seems steep for a 6th round pick

ZaGranny
05-21-2014, 10:59 AM
http://www.totalpackers.com/2014/05/16/demetri-goodson-signed/

ZaGranny

cjm720
05-21-2014, 11:37 AM
thx granny!

good for Meech!
Goodson’s deal is for four years and $2.32 million. He got a $103,152 signing bonus.

DixieZag
05-21-2014, 01:03 PM
http://www.totalpackers.com/2014/05/16/demetri-goodson-signed/

ZaGranny

I am not positive on this and I certainly am not trying to detract from the accomplishment, just set it out factually correct.

Is it not true that only the bonus, the $103,000 is guaranteed? Isn't the rest contingent upon him making the team and then not being cut? I was under the impression this was the biggest difference between football and baseball contracts. When you hear a figure in baseball, that IS what the guy is going to get (A-Rod, ugh) and it doesn't matter if he is cut from the team?

cjm720
05-21-2014, 01:39 PM
He keeps the bonus no matter what. As for the rest, as I understand it, he'll earn pro-rata amount of year 1 salary until he makes the team (then he gets it all for that year) or gets cut, then he keeps the pro-rata amount plus bonus. Not really sure if pro-rata is the right term, but I believe the NFL/teams break it down to pay players for OTAs, mini-camp, pre-season, etc....

KStyles
05-21-2014, 02:07 PM
He keeps the bonus no matter what. As for the rest, as I understand it, he'll earn pro-rata amount of year 1 salary until he makes the team (then he gets it all for that year) or gets cut, then he keeps the pro-rata amount plus bonus. Not really sure if pro-rata is the right term, but I believe the NFL/teams break it down to pay players for OTAs, mini-camp, pre-season, etc....

Yep, the bonus is upfront and his either way, but I think NFL players get a set per diem during training camp & preseason games and then beginning with Week 1 of the regular season, their salary is paid out equally over the next 17 weeks of the regular season, and the checks keep coming as long as the player is on the active roster or IR. If a player with a non-guaranteed salary is cut, he'll stop being paid.

SunDevilGolfZag
05-21-2014, 05:40 PM

That's how I saw the article. Go Meech!