PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Vandersloot with the Sky--2014

ZaGranny
05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
The Sky plays tonight at 5:30 PM. The game is on live access, which you can have a free trial of from today until the 22nd.

Tomorrow the Sky plays New York at 5:00 PM. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Sky 74 -Fever 71

Fever led most of the way.

Courtney had 9 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 fouls, 3 YTO's.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
The announcers said "Della Donne was the star of the first half, But Vandersloot was the star of the second half (paraphrase).

Courtney had 12 points, 5 rebound, 8 assists, 2 fouls, 3 steals, 4 TO's.

She looked really good!

Sky is missing Sylvia Fowles and Epiphany Prince, so should be great when they get back from injury.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-21-2014, 09:41 AM
The Sky is playing Sun right now. Halftime. Sky 45 Sun 26 Courtney has 12 points and 2 rebounds. It is on live access (free until tomorrow) but I am not able to get it to work.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Final: Sky 78 Sun 68. Courtney had 18 points, 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 fouls, 2 steals, 2 TO's 1 block.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Courtney had a fantastic game. Unfortunately, I only saw the last 5 minutes because I had a WooHoo moment. I thought the game was 7 Pacific and it was actually 7 Chicago time.

Courtney played 32:22--of which I maybe saw 4 minutes. She had a double double: 10 points, 11 assists. She had 2 rebounds, 1 foul, 1 steal 4 TO's and 2 blocks.

Sky are 4 and 0.

Go Sky! Go Sloot!

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Lynx handed the Sky their first loss. Sky 4 and 1 Lynx 5 and 0 after this game. Sky lead the WNBA East, Lynx lead the WNBA West.

Courtney had 10 points, 8 assists, 5 fouls, 2 rebounds, 3 T0's.

ZaGranny

upan8th
05-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Courtney stood on the court with her hands on her hips, bent at the waist after last night's game ended. Unable to hide her disappointment, she seemed near tears trudging to the locker room. She'd been given a take-home test with twelve seconds left in the game and, to her own surprise and that of thousands of viewers watching on ESPN2, she'd flunked it. Her coach, Pokey Chatman, who coaches basketball like Dick Vitale commentates, with a lot of enthusiasm but not much skill, had put the "rock" in Sloot's hand to engineer the three points the Sky needed to send the game to OT. It was probably a simple play (see Chatman, Pokey) designed to deliver the ball to the team's best scorer, Donna Delladova, for the final shot.

Instead of doing that, Courtney did what coaches, from her dad when she was six years old, to John Stockton six weeks ago, told her NEVER to do. Two seconds after getting the pass-in she gave up her dribble 25 feet from the basket and, with no timeouts left, spent the next eight seconds writhing to find someone, anyone, to pass the ball to under strangling pressure from the player guarding her. She found Delladova 30 feet from the hoop with two seconds left but her desperate heave at the buzzer had no chance. Courtney disappointed herself, of course, but beyond that, a whole raft of people who watched her play at GU, who know what she can do on the court, who are wondering why she hasn't done it (yet) as the third player taken in the WNBA draft after her senior year.

Sloot did not lose the game all by herself. Matt Carlino has a patent on that and players at every level, regardless of gender, respect it. No, the Sky frittered away a brief late lead and were outscored 12 to 4 in the final minutes. But Courtney might want to take notes on Lynx point guard Lindsey Whalen, who beat up Sloot and took her lunch money most of the game, while sporting about as mean a look as you're going to get from a born & bred MN nice person. The look said: "You can't guard me. I can take you any time I want, you twerp,"and then she would do that with a nice array of moves off screens, driving layups and pull-up jumpers.

Courtney had some nice moves, too, some moments herself, but after completing them the look on her face said: "Did you see what I did there? How'd I do that?" And then it came down to the last dreadful seconds when CVS forgot that point guards who give up their dribble a block from the basket will not "make things happen" for their team, cannot be trusted to "take charge" in crunch time. In Chicago, that could soon put you on the pine, or on the street, windblown, cold and alone.

bigblahla
05-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Courtney stood on the court with her hands on her hips, bent at the waist after last night's game ended. Unable to hide her disappointment, she seemed near tears trudging to the locker room. She'd been given a take-home test with twelve seconds left in the game and, to her own surprise and that of thousands of viewers watching on ESPN2, she'd flunked it. Her coach, Pokey Chatman, who coaches basketball like Dick Vitale commentates, with a lot of enthusiasm but not much skill, had put the "rock" in Sloot's hand to engineer the three points the Sky needed to send the game to OT. It was probably a simple play (see Chatman, Pokey) designed to deliver the ball to the team's best scorer, Donna Delladova, for the final shot.

Instead of doing that, Courtney did what coaches, from her dad when she was six years old, to John Stockton six weeks ago, told her NEVER to do. Two seconds after getting the pass-in she gave up her dribble 25 feet from the basket and, with no timeouts left, spent the next eight seconds writhing to find someone, anyone, to pass the ball to under strangling pressure from the player guarding her. She found Delladova 30 feet from the hoop with two seconds left but her desperate heave at the buzzer had no chance. Courtney disappointed herself, of course, but beyond that, a whole raft of people who watched her play at GU, who know what she can do on the court, who are wondering why she hasn't done it (yet) as the third player taken in the WNBA draft after her senior year.

Sloot did not lose the game all by herself. Matt Carlino has a patent on that and players at every level, regardless of gender, respect it. No, the Sky frittered away a brief late lead and were outscored 12 to 4 in the final minutes. But Courtney might want to take notes on Lynx point guard Lindsey Whalen, who beat up Sloot and took her lunch money most of the game, while sporting about as mean a look as you're going to get from a born & bred MN nice person. The look said: "You can't guard me. I can take you any time I want, you twerp,"and then she would do that with a nice array of moves off screens, driving layups and pull-up jumpers.

Courtney had some nice moves, too, some moments herself, but after completing them the look on her face said: "Did you see what I did there? How'd I do that?" And then it came down to the last dreadful seconds when CVS forgot that point guards who give up their dribble a block from the basket will not "make things happen" for their team, cannot be trusted to "take charge" in crunch time. In Chicago, that could soon put you on the pine, or on the street, windblown, cold and alone.

Watched it couldn't believe she gave up her dribble it was sad to watch because she couldn't do anything but look helpless and try to pivot to find an open teammate...worst time ever for a brain fart.

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

ZaGranny
05-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Sky vs. Sun at 5:30 PT on NBA TV (Dish channel156).

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Courtney played 26:16. She had no points, but 13 assists, 1 rebound, 1 foul, 1 turnover, 2 blocks. The scariest part of the game was seeing her being carried off the floor by Della Donne and (I think) Breland after she got her leg twisted up with an opponent. She spent some time on the bike, and then came back into the game, for which I was very thankful.

The SKy are now 5 and 1.

They lead the east by 2 games

Lynx won again and lead the west by 4 games at 6 and 0.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
05-31-2014, 11:15 AM
It was Della Donne and Young carrying Sloot.

Pic on twitter today.

Courtney Vandersloot ‏@Sloot22 5h
“@TIngram10: This is team work. @De11eDonne @tyoung11 @Sloot22
pic.twitter.com/UeQMiNcw3u

ZaGranny

nonzagzag
06-01-2014, 09:32 AM
13 assists was team record according to announcers....

ZaGranny
06-06-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.wnba.com/sky/news/sloot_breaking_records_2014.html

Vandersloot Passing Her Way To the Top of the Record Books
Years of hard work & dedication are paying dividends for Sky point guard Courtney Vandersloot. In the month of May, Vandersloot became the Sky’s all-time leader in assists, passing Dominique Canty’s 507 mark in a Memorial Day game against the Lynx. Additionally, her 13-assist effort against Connecticut on May 30 set a new franchise single game record, passing her previous mark of 11 assists. The Sky’s humble point guard shares these honors with the great players on her team.
“I think it’s just a huge credit to my teammates because they’re the ones scoring the baskets. My job is easy; I’ve got a lot of great scorers on my team,” said Sky point guard Courtney Vandersloot following last Monday’s game against the Lynx.
After being selected third overall by the Chicago Sky in the 2011 WNBA Draft, Vandersloot initially had trouble adjusting to the physicality of the pro game. The former standout point guard at Gonzaga University started 53 for her first 68 games through two seasons with the team, but the 2012 campaign was a difficult one for Courtney, who led the WNBA in turnovers with 3.26 per game. Rather than giving up, Vandersloot used the offseason to drastically improve her all-around game.
The 2013 season saw a new and improved Vandersloot. Reporting to training camp with an added 18 pounds of muscle, head coach Pokey Chatman and the rest of the Chicago Sky organization knew they were going to see a stronger and improved game from their point guard.
In the 2013 season Vandersloot set new career-bests in assists (5.6), minutes (29.8), rebounds (3.2), steals (1.4), free throw shooting (83.3%), and turnovers (2.48). Courtney also led the WNBA in charges taken (22) and topped all guards in blocked shots with 24.
As Vandersloot’s game improved, so did her team’s performance. Last year, the Sky finished atop the Eastern Conference with a 24-10 record, the best in franchise history. Despite starting the 2014 season without All-Stars Sylvia Fowles and Epiphanny Prince, Vandersloot managed to guide her new look Sky team to the best regular season start in franchise history. Through six games, she leads the WNBA in total assists (54), assists per game (9.0), and assists per 40 minutes (12.0).
“I really just focus on getting everyone involved,” said Courtney on her increased assist production. “I think that’s important because so much focus, especially right now, is on Elena, so it’s leaving players like Allie [Quigley] and Courtney [Clements], that are just good shooters, wide open and their getting good looks.”
- See more at: http://www.wnba.com/sky/news/sloot_breaking_records_2014.html#sthash.M2TjrIbX.d puf

More at the link. Sky is playing LA tonight and the Dream tomorrow, but they are only on live access which I couldn't get to work, so I dropped it, before I had to pay for it.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Courtney did not have a good game yesterday. Nor did the Sky, except for Elena Della Donne and Tamara Young.

Courtney played 27:14. She had 2 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 fouls, 1 steal 6 TO's (yikes!) 1 block.

I could only follow on the game tracker, so I couldn't really tell what was going on.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Sky had another bad game. Courtney played 23 minutes. She had 5 points, 7 assists, 1 rebound, 1 foul, 2 steals, 4 TO's 1 block.

It wasn't available to watch anywhere and it took them 2 days to get the box score up.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Sky had another bad game. Courtney played 23 minutes. She had 5 points, 7 assists, 1 rebound, 1 foul, 2 steals, 4 TO's 1 block.

It wasn't available to watch anywhere and it took them 2 days to get the box score up.

Go to wnba.com/ASB to vote for Courtney for the All-Star team.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-17-2014, 07:58 PM
I wish someone could tell me why it takes 4 days to get the box scores up for the Sky.

The Sky sere missing Della Donne, Breland, and Fowles.

Courtney had 5 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 fouls, 1 steal, 1 TO.

Could not watch it, so I just have to go by the box score.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Sky finally broke their losing streak. Courtney had a fantastic game.

She had 17 Points, 8 assists, 1 rebound, 0 fouls, 1 steal, 1 block 1 TO.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Courtney played 22:24. She had 11 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls, 3 steals, 4 TO's, 1 block.

I only followed it on game tracker, but the Fever had a surge at the end to beat them.

The Sky is playing the Shock tomorrow on ESPN 2 at 11.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-22-2014, 12:53 PM
SKy lost in overtime after leading by as many as 12--10 at the half. I am not sure why Pokey did not play Sloot for much of the 4th quarter or any of the overtime.

Courtney played 22:50. She had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 fouls, 3 steals, 2 TO's.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-25-2014, 05:13 PM
The good news is that both Elena and Sylvia played today. I only watched game tracker, but it looked like Elena had limited minutes, and Sylvia had the most minutes and a good game.

Bad news, they let a half time lead slip away.

Courtney played 28:31--4th most--and had 5 points, 4 assists, 2 steals, 0 T0's, 1 block.

Hopefully now that they are fully staffged things will get better.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Courtney played 31:54. She had 2 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 fouls, 4 turnovers.

I didn't even watch the tracker, so am not sure what was going on. Della Donne did not travel with the team due to illness.

Piph had 30 points, so it seems like she is back to form.

They are going to be on ESPN 2 at 6 PM July 1, so we'll be able to see how Courtney is doing.

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
06-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Courtney played 31:54. She had 2 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 fouls, 4 turnovers.

I didn't even watch the tracker, so am not sure what was going on. Della Donne did not travel with the team due to illness.

Checked the website. Delle Donne Leaves Team to Continue Treatments

Chicago Sky guard/forward Elena Delle Donne has traveled home to Delaware, where she will continue to receive treatment for Lyme disease.

As of now there is no timetable for her return. Delle Donne's progress with be monitored and Coach Chatman will provide regular updates.

Piph had 30 points, so it seems like she is back to form.

They are going to be on ESPN 2 at 6 PM July 1, so we'll be able to see how Courtney is doing.

ZaGranny

TerpZag
07-01-2014, 05:58 AM
All-Star Courtney Vandersloot out with knee injury

Chicago PG Courtney Vandersloot sustained an injury to her left knee in Friday’s win against the New York Liberty. Vandersloot, the No. 3 overall draft pick in the 2011 draft, played 32 minutes but was 0-for-6 from the field, finishing with two points, four assists and four turnovers in the game.

An MRI confirmed a Grade III sprain of the medial collateral ligament (MCL). Vandersloot, 25, is out six to 10 weeks but will continue to travel with the team. Chicago (7-8) begins a three-game road trip at Phoenix (11-3) on Tuesday. The Sky plays at KeyArena against the Storm (7-11) on Saturday...

The Seattle Times Article Link (http://blogs.seattletimes.com/womenshoops/2014/06/30/all-star-courtney-vandersloot-out-with-season-ending-knee-injury/)

ZaGranny
08-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Courtney played 21:29, She had 9 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 fouls, 1 steal, 4 TO's.

I think this was her second game back. Her first one, she played a couple of minutes and had 0's across the stat line.

Sky made the play offs.

They play the Dream in the semifinals:

Schedule:

8/22/14 4:30 PM PST NBA TV

8/24/14 4:00 PM PST ESPN 2

8/26/14 4:30 PM PST NBA TV

ZaGranny

ZaGranny
08-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Sloot had a good game. She played 24:33. She had 13 points, 2 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks, 1 TO. She sat out with 2 flouls part of the first half,. She had a great 4th quarter---including a jumper to break a tie and a free throw to ice the game.

Go Sloot!! Go Sky!

ZaGranny

Zag365
08-22-2014, 09:17 PM
It's good !!!

ZaGranny
08-26-2014, 06:10 PM
They were behind as many as 20. This was their first lead.

Courtney's stats in the WBB thread.

ZaGranny