PDA

View Full Version : If you were the new WCC commish...

kylasdad
09-05-2007, 11:54 AM
What would be your first 3 orders of business?

77Zag
09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
1. Secure Vegas for 10 years on WCC Tournament w/TV
2. Seek TV contracts to bolster WCC exposure and enhance scheduling
3. Help get St. Mary's a real arena

Angelo Roncalli
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
1. Lock up the BB WCC tournament in Vegas, as '77 noted.

2. Find a major sponsor for the BB WCC tournament.

3. Change the rules for sharing of NCAA tournament revenues. The proceeds from all first round games get shared among the conference and schools as under the current formula. Second round revenue: the team playing the game gets to keep the first third, the remaining two-thirds is shared pro-rata. Sweet 16 revenue: 50% to the team on the floor. Elite 8 revenue: two-thirds to the school...Final Four revenue: 75% to the team, etc.

3.1. Ban Ken Ditty from refereeing WCC games.

siliconzag
09-05-2007, 12:36 PM
To the aforementioned I would make sure that Seattle U and Pacific are new members to the conference.

CDC84
09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I will admit to having a Gonzaga slant on some of this.......

1. Get more WCC games not involving Gonzaga on ESPNU. Getting the games on ESPN or ESPN2 might not be realistic, but if there is a choice between ESPNU or no TV, ESPNU is better than no TV.

2. No Gonzaga non-league game should ever be on ESPNU until every cable system in the Pacific NW area carries it. Until the happens, the games are given to FSN-NW unless they're on ESPN, ESPN2 or network TV.

I would also seriously consider dumping the league's ESPN Big Monday contract if it is at all possible to get a Saturday "WCC game of the week" set up with ESPN or ESPN2. The late night games on Monday create academic scheduling havoc for Gonzaga or any WCC road team.

Bonus request = ban Dave Libbey from officiating WCC games.

Angelo Roncalli
09-05-2007, 12:57 PM
To the aforementioned I would make sure that Seattle U and Pacific are new members to the conference.

Paisano,

Welcome back!

MDABE80
09-05-2007, 01:57 PM
1. Lock up Vegas for 10 years ( as stated)
2. Better TV contract
3. Whatever it takes to get better penetration for recruiting.
4. Meet with the Presidents to map a plan so the academics could be better packaged.
5. I agree with Sili ( I thought you'd be back when school started)..get SU and Pacific in the league. If not them, somebody who will fit and expand the league's profile.
6 Ban Sili's poems permanently:)

DavyZag
09-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Angelo... does any conference have its tournament money sharing set up that way (as you outline in point 3)? That's definitely an interesting idea, though I assume it would be unpopular with the rest of the WCC.

I don't think they should lock up Vegas for 10 years right away... you've got to wait and do it once or twice and see how it goes before making such a long commitment. I do like the idea of a neutral site, but I wonder if a neutral site in the Bay Area would make more sense... less travel costs, more local fan interest, etc. And it is kind of fun to rotate it around the conference as well... I just think it would be a bit too much to commit to one site for that long.

I think a big thing the commissioner could do would be to really work with the teams on their basketball scheduling... a few conferences are really starting to mandate that its teams not play "guarantee" games and not schedule 300+ RPI teams... I think doing this would really force the rest of the WCC to pick it up. But I also know that scheduling is super difficult and that expansion would really ease some of the scheduling woes teams face (and not only in basketball... in all sports).

I'm fine with the ESPN contract... from the WCC perspective, it makes a whole heck of a lot more sense to expose itself on a network like ESPNU (which, let's face it, will be readily available to everyone soon enough) than to bend to Gonzaga's FSNW contract. Obviously we are the marquee attraction for the league, so they need to use us as the carrot for ESPN. And if that's the case, so be it... I love being on national TV, and if it helps the WCC get better, great!

And Angelo hit the nail on the head with getting a sponsorship for the tournament... that should have happened five years ago.

Furthermore, I think that the WCC should really start to look at doing more things like the young alumni fundraiser competition it did a while ago. Here in Portland last year, UP hosted a WCC alumni event open to alums of all WCC schools and it was really cool. I think they should do more stuff like that... it's good for networking and could help raise awareness of the conference with all alumni.

But let's face it... No. 1 on the list of the new commissioners to-do list will be to call up Mike Roth and Fr. Spitzer and ask them what he can do to improve the WCC's relationship with GU. Gotta treat the golden goose right!

roxdoc
09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
With all due respect Silicon - how about Seattle U and UBC eventually!

LongIslandZagFan
09-05-2007, 04:08 PM
1. Establish some level of revenue sharing within the WCC perhaps from league level TV contracts that would get earmarked for recruiting and/or facilities.

2. Sell out a tad... get sponsorship for the WCC tourney and perhaps work out a national sponsorship for the aforementioned idea of a WCC Saturday Night Game Of The Week on ESPN/ESPN2 with proceeds shared between WCC and ESPN.

3. Work with ESPN to get more non-GU WCC games on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU and assure the monies are split 3 ways (45 to each team and 10 to the conference).

4. Neutral site for the Tourney... Vegas works.

5. Dave Libbey should be banned for life from doing WCC games.

6. Set a low-end limit for seating in all WCC arenas.

7. Create a WCC/Big 12 (or other conference) type of contract assuring at least the top half of the WCC to get games against BCS opponents. Similar to the ACC/Big 10

8. DO NOT EXPAND THE CONFERENCE! I may be in the minority on this one, but we can't afford to dilute the conference while we are trying to grow it.

9. Establish a vision of evolving the WCC to be the ACC of the west... then perhaps expanding. With that, work with the presidents and AD to point to ways in which that can happen (recruiting budgets, arenas, etc.).

10. Someone just plain needs to lead. Gilleran's mistake was lack of leadership more than anything else.

CDC84
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
ESPNU is not great when your primary TV viewers can't watch their team take on a non-league team like Western Kentucky because local cable systems do not carry ESPNU. It has been a slow transition, and I am not as optimistic about cable systems being willing to take on a channel that frankly has a lot of so so programming. It's nothing more than another channel with similar programming to what you see on CSTV, which hasn't exactly taken off either.

Until ESPNU it is made available on cable systems throughout Washington state, much less Spokane, there should be a moratorium on having Zag non-league games on ESPNU. The WCC should demand ESPN or ESPN2 for those games if they want to use Gonzaga as a carrot. Once ESPNU is available, the moratorium can be lifted. As of right now, the Zag games on FSN are probably reaching more people throughout the nation via FSNW and the FCS channels (cable) anyway. When it comes to conference games, the league can do as they please regarding ESPNU. But my allegiance to the conference ends when it comes to the non-league games. Until the TV situation is straightened out, I think Gonzaga fans should be served first. I realize it's a selfish position, but I am allowed one issue to be selfish on!

I tend to agree with Davy on the potential downside to signing a long term contract for Vegas. Maybe 3 years and see how it goes. That might also put the pressure on the Vegas organizers to deliver a high class product - they can't just sit on their hands knowing that the league is commited to them for 10 years. They need to prove they can make the event work in Vegas first, then the WCC will renew.

That being said, if the Bay Area is selected as a permanent location, Vegas is cheaper for all of the other schools in the league that aren't located in the Bay Area. Not only the airfare, but especially lodging and food. It is very expensive for students and fans to go to the Bay Area and stay there. I also like Vegas for the same reason LIZF mentioned in a previous post....it allows fans of the WCC schools throughout the nation (like on the east coast) to more easily attend the WCC tourney. Vegas is about the cheapest place in the nation to fly to. If Vegas doesn't work, I am pretty sure you will see the sites rotated. I just can't see the league teams agreeing to a permanent location in the Bay Area or So Cal. I know Gonzaga wouldn't like it. The Zags also do not like the Big Monday contract either....you can count on a "no" vote from Gonzaga so long as the games are at 9pm.

LongIslandZagFan
09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Not sure if I mentioned it last time...

Dave Libbey needs to be banned from WCC games for life.

Wait I did mention it.... here let me say it again:

and again:

and again:

gonzagulous
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
LIZF, you bring up some very interesting points. I wholeheartedly second all of them, and would also add this one:

DAVE LIBBEY NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM WCC GAMES FOR LIFE.

Meeting adjourned.

DenDiegoZag
09-06-2007, 07:29 AM
8. DO NOT EXPAND THE CONFERENCE! I may be in the minority on this one, but we can't afford to dilute the conference while we are trying to grow it.

Agreed! We should shoot for at least 2-3 consistent quality teams in the conference before we start adding some more bottom feeders. It is the simple argument of quality over quantity. Although, I do have to note that I would not be opposed to an expansion of the conference if we could steal some of the better Mountain West schools.

Robzagnut
09-06-2007, 08:11 AM
1) Kick Gonzaga out of the WCC, so someone else has a chance.

or

2) Talk Arizona into hiring Few as Lute's replacement.

or

3) Hire Romar as my assistant, so the other 7 teams in the WCC can figure out how not to play GU every year.

SteelCityZag
09-06-2007, 08:15 AM
DenDiego has hit the nail on the head. Although I would consider not consider Pacific to be a bottom feeder (they would have finished second or third in recent memory) I don't think the league can afford Seattle U as a partner to Pacific right now. Though they do have history and are a perfect fit for the WCC in every other sense.

The answer I keep coming back to is the WCC needs to improve from within first. Then, it will be an attractive option to the likes of potential entrants. The new Commish should do everything possible to improve the RPI of the league, as flawed as that measuring stick is.

kitzbuel
09-06-2007, 09:26 AM
DenDiego has hit the nail on the head. Although I would consider not consider Pacific to be a bottom feeder (they would have finished second or third in recent memory) I don't think the league can afford Seattle U as a partner to Pacific right now. Though they do have history and are a perfect fit for the WCC in every other sense.

The answer I keep coming back to is the WCC needs to improve from within first. Then, it will be an attractive option to the likes of potential entrants. The new Commish should do everything possible to improve the RPI of the league, as flawed as that measuring stick is.

:agreed:

We either make the conference better or leave it. No reason to bring in other schools at this point because we will only get schools who consider the WCC an upgrade.

DavyZag
09-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Ah... but you have to remember that expansion isn't only about one sport (men's basketball). I think if you ask all the WCC coaches in all the sports, they would absolutely LOVE having four more league games every year and not have to schedule those as non-conference games. And not only that, but expansion would help WCC exposure and the recruiting pools for all WCC teams.

Maybe it potentially hurt Gonzaga's RPI for little while, but remember... we are talking about the WCC commissioner, not the "Do What Gonzaga Wants" Commish.

Obviously you need to treat GU right... as I already said, the first phone call will be to Mike Roth... but you also need to listen to the seven other schools and the 10 other sports.

freezer12
09-06-2007, 11:05 PM
ESPNU is not great when your primary TV viewers can't watch their team...because local cable systems do not carry ESPNU......

..........Until ESPNU it is made available on cable systems throughout Washington state, much less Spokane.......

You do realize that, in fact, Bay Area Comcast (cable) customers cannot get ESPNU either, right? You gotta get DirecTV. It's better, anyways. It's just always about GU, isn't it?

Anyways, post 18, you get it. This is an 8 school league with many sports. My school, SCU, has two soccer teams ranked #3 in the nation right now, for example. UP has their XC teams. Pepp has tennis and golf. Many schools are legit at volleyball. How bout baseball? I understand your bias, but at least be a little thoughtful.

CDC84
09-07-2007, 07:54 AM
You do realize that, in fact, Bay Area Comcast (cable) customers cannot get ESPNU either, right? You gotta get DirecTV. It's better, anyways. It's just always about GU, isn't it?

It is always about GU when it comes to a Gonzaga vs. Washington State men's basketball game. Well, it's also about the Cougars too, and their fans are getting messed over just as much by this decision.

The TV should be set up to accommodate the game's primary viewing audience, period. Even though I have issues with conference games being on ESPNU as well, I can live with it. I happen to be a Direct TV owner myself, and I get ESPNU. I am just irked about the fact that thousands of fellow Zag fans are going to miss this key rivalry game because the conference signed a ESPN contract that basically hands everything over to them and allows them to do anything they want without conference or team input. Like it or not, that effects Gonzaga infinitely more than any league team. If Santa Clara or San Diego had their own lucrative TV deal with a Fox Sports Network, and if those teams had the scheduling and TV clout that GU does, they would be screaming bloody murder as well - especially when it came to their non-conference games versus BCS teams.

The bottom line of all of this is that I have been told that this is part of ESPN's grand strategy to get ESPNU on every cable network. They put the Xavier/Cincinnati matchup on ESPNU last season - one of the biggest rivalry games in all of college basketball. It caused so much outrage in the greater Cincinnati area that the channel is now on local cable. So maybe there will be so many complaints throughout the Pacific NW that this issue will ultimately will be resolved. But right now a lot of Zag fans are not happy.

DavyZag
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
I think both CDC and Freezer are right. Yes, it sucks that us Gonzaga fans have to watch a big non-league game on ESPNU. But that's the way it goes when you are dealing with ESPN. I doubt many would seriously argue that the exposure the WCC gets on ESPN (not only with the games themselves, but with the constant teaser ads they play) is extremely valuable to the league and that the WCC should continue to build and expand its relationship with ESPN. Clearly the relationship is already getting stronger... many of the Mondays have two WCC games with at least one on ESPN or ESPN2. That's more than last year for sure.

Basically, if the price the WCC has to pay is giving up two non-league home games to ESPNU, then so be it.

In the grand scheme of things, I would rather have the reputation of the WCC be raised in the public eye (and that will happen with continued exposure on ESPN and - hopefully - as the other WCC teams improve) than get to watch one lousy game at home instead of a bar. Really, what's more valuable to Gonzaga in the long run? A few games here or there on FSN instead of ESPNU, or the national status of the WCC to increase a few notches and for fans across the country to be able to call it more than "Gonzaga and the Seven Dwarves"?

I would say for the long-term health of Gonzaga (we can't be a top 10 team every year like we are this year), a WCC with a good reputation will help buoy the esteem our program gets in leaner years. Even now, if Gonzaga doesn't win the WCC, the rest of the country laughs. How great would it be if we finished second and the rest of the country said, "Well, second in the WCC is still pretty dang good."

Now THAT is what we should all be pulling for. If I have to go watch the WSU-GU game at the OnDeck sports bar, so be it.