PDA

View Full Version : Shem gettin' some love

LongIslandZagFan
05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Top Centers on ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/98926/players-to-watch-centers (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/98926/players-to-watch-centers)

jazzdelmar
05-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Nice, still it's Katz....consume w/a few grains of salt.

cjm720
05-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Where's Edwards' write-up, right? :)

LongIslandZagFan
05-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Nothing like peeing all over anything remotely positive there Jazz.

Zagdawg
05-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Jazz negative about our Zags...never.

Good for Shem and the Zags getting some press.

Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
05-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Geez, a little overreaction, LI? Katz' clip said nothing new to us, so why the biggie? We know Katz is a Zag/Few homer. Bigtime, on the order of several here. And I did allow, "nice." Chill, it's Friday, the Hamptons are almost open. :)

MDABE80
05-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Katz has been a big big proZag writer. Not so much this last year. I think there's been some balance installed in his thoughts. Jazz is correct that he's been uber frothy when it comes to us. I suspect those days are over. Shem is a force even though we all know he's still got plenty of work to do.
Go Shem!!

LongIslandZagFan
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Geez, a little overreaction, LI? Katz' clip said nothing new to us, so why the biggie? We know Katz is a Zag/Few homer. Bigtime, on the order of several here. And I did allow, "nice." Chill, it's Friday, the Hamptons are almost open. :)

Just my two cents, but I don't really see why you had to make the second post of the thread be one that discounts the positive comments. FWIW you are saying that Shem DOESN'T deserve the praise he got by doing so. You feel that way... fine. If not, you could have just ended the post at the comma.

exclusivelee
05-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Shem was a strong defnsive force for the Zags last season. Ask Waldow's vampire teeth and the rest of the Saint Mary's squad who was the main factor in their 3 blowout losses to us this season

LidgerZag
05-09-2014, 10:59 AM
I've been reading this board for years...and prior forums before this one. No need to be so quick to jump on anyone who disagrees. This has become so common and frustrating. Relax. Differing opinions can be just that.

Zagdawg
05-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Been reading this and and other Zag forums prior to this one for years. I agree a certain fan should not twist/discount the positive press a Zag player is receiving in the national media regardless of how they feel about the author of the story.

A differing opinion is one that does not agree that Shem has made solid advances over his two years at Gonzaga -- and would hopefully be backed up with facts.

The other option would be to discount the fact that Shem has made solid advances not because of any facts.....but because they think the author is a "Zag/Few homer".

I guess I have a differing opinion about a little positive press that talks up one of our players in the national media.

Positive press=good press (regardless of the author)

LongIslandZagFan
05-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Been reading this and and other Zag forums prior to this one for years. I agree a certain fan should not twist/discount the positive press a Zag player is receiving in the national media regardless of how they feel about the author of the story.

A differing opinion is one that does not agree that Shem has made solid advances over his two years at Gonzaga -- and would hopefully be backed up with facts.

The other option would be to discount the fact that Shem has made solid advances not because of any facts.....but because they think the author is a "Zag/Few homer".

I guess I have a differing opinion about a little positive press that talks up one of our players in the national media.

Exactly... which was my point.

primal23
05-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Shem was a bright spot in both NCAA games, even the one I really want to forget about...

Kiddwell
05-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Top Centers on ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/98926/players-to-watch-centers (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/98926/players-to-watch-centers)
Like the fact the Karnivore was listed second (instead of way down article) and had his pix shown. Having Wiltjer and Sabonis sometimes on the court w/him means even more opportunity for Karnivore to impact a game. If his growth (as a player) equals the same between his freshman and sophomore years, he could be getting a ton of national press before next season's end. Good stuff.

:]

maynard g krebs
05-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Seems like pretty much of a no-brainer that he should be among the top 3-4 centers this year imo. Do you disagree with the assessment if the author was anonymous?

ZagsGoZags
05-09-2014, 11:50 AM

The way I interpreted Jazz's post is that it was a positive article, to take with a 'few grains' i.e. "a little bit" of salt. Qualifying a positive, not being negative. Oh well that's my interpretation of it, that happens to be true IMO.

I agree with Abe that Katz has been as kind to the Zags as any sportswriter I can think of. Going into the NCAA tourney against Wichita State, ranked as #1 in the nation, many of us had private predictions of really going somewhere that season, but did not make a public prediction (and I am so glad so many of us didn't). Katz and other sportswriters who thought we would go far, that this was our year, were proven wrong. Katz and most of us have learned our lesson about public bragging that the zags will go deep in the Dance.

This coming year we have a deep team, with three people joining us who were 4 or 5 stars coming in (put that way to include Wiltjer), and many of us are privately biting our nails and hoping the 14-15 squad will do the Sweet 16, Elite 8, or FF thing, but I predict there won't be as many commentators or members of this board publicly claiming this. Katz and even Bilas certainly have a positive attitude towards us, but will keep their predictions chose to the vest I expect.

sittingon50
05-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Cmon guys! Katz IS a Zag homer. Jazz is not making a negative statement here.

gonzagafan62
05-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Cmon guys! Katz IS a Zag homer. Jazz is not making a negative statement here.

I have to agree with this. Positive press is awesome. But c'mon, you guys do know that Katz is all about the Zags. Now if this came from someone that doesn't quite care for us, or try to dig something up about us, then the press is exciting. Jazz is right.

HowEVA, like I said, Ill take any positive press, and this should turn a few heads, but not a ton. Love the Zags!

EDIT: Also this is not a negative statement by Jazz, or anyone else that feels the same way. Its just shedding more light on a topic that has been talked about time and time again. Katz is not someone you can really feel good about talking about us all the time again, of course. I will wait till it comes from other heads before I get too amped up.

Zagdawg
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Good national press is better than no national press regardless of the author.

I would be more inclined to agree with the folks who think this is just Katz talking up the Zags if it was not accurate or made up----- but his assessment is accurate and the national press it good to have.

If you think the average basketball fan/national/international audience will discount the assessment based upon who the author of the piece is you are mistaken.

hooter73
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Good national press is better than no national press regardless of the author.

Tell that to Oregon right about now lol

75Zag
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
RE: Shem gettin' some love

Good for him! When I was an undergrad at GU, this was frowned upon, especially in the co-ed dorms.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

Baseline
05-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Shem made a huge jump on defense this last year and made some progress on offense. When he has his game going is is a dominating player. He dominated in the Oklahoma game and when he was in the Arizona bunch had a very hard time handling him. If Shem can get aggressive and find ways to score on offense he will take it to a new level. At the end of the season Shem actually drove the basket a few times and looked good doing it. If he can add this capability to his game it would put us in FF territory.

Zagcity
05-09-2014, 06:26 PM
In other words ;)

Nice, still it's Katz.... but even though it's Katz (and some may think he is a homer) what he said is dead on. Great to see some flattering press for Shem. :)

Goshzagit
05-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Shem was our most consistent performer last season.

We knew who and what we were getting -- night in and night out.

He was huge down the stretch.

Much deserved, highest ceiling amongst current Zags, imho.

Reborn
05-10-2014, 04:48 AM
First of all Andy Katz is a premier analyst on ESPN. HE is elite, one of the best and one of the most well known analysts on ESPN. So he likes Gonzaga. What's so bad about that Jazz? Good press has never hurt anyone. In terms of PK and whether he is deserving of praise by one of it's top reporters, hell yes. And honestly, PK out played the #1 center on Katz's list in their NCAA Tournament matchup. If you can not see Karnowski's development and improvement last season then I question your ability to analyze a player's game. I believe PK will be even more dominant next season, as Katz believes.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
05-10-2014, 05:01 AM
First of all Andy Katz is a premier analyst on ESPN. HE is elite, one of the best and one of the most well known analysts on ESPN. So he likes Gonzaga. What's so bad about that Jazz? Good press has never hurt anyone. In terms of PK and whether he is deserving of praise by one of it's top reporters, hell yes. And honestly, PK out played the #1 center on Katz's list in their NCAA Tournament matchup. If you can not see Karnowski's development and improvement last season then I question your ability to analyze a player's game. I believe PK will be even more dominant next season, as Katz believes.

Go Zags!!!

'Born, I will answer you out of respect for your passion, sincerity and word count :).....My comment had NOTHING to do with Shem, nada. He is a top 5-10 NCAA center. My point was Katz' unalloyed love for the Zags, while the sound of music to many here desperate for any media attention, makes me read anything he says about GU hoops with the proverbial grain of salt. I get that he's respected and good at his job and that the nation as a whole eats up what he says with a spoon, but this is an insider Zag board and we all know better. J

Reborn
05-10-2014, 05:22 AM
Thanks Jazz. I think it's easy to misread the intent of your post because it does "kind of" come across like you're also discounting PK's abilities. Thanks for clarifying that. And should we discount PK's ability because of an article written by Katz? I kind of don't get why it's a negative thing that Katz loves Gonzaga? Maybe you can help me. I'm just not able to see it right now. Maybe I AM also wearing blinders when it comes to my opinion of Gonzaga basektball. I may actually be worse then Katz in my ability to actually analyze Gonzaga's play objectively. I'm probably a bigger homer than he is. lol lol I am laughing. So try to help me see more clearly.

jazzdelmar
05-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks Jazz. I think it's easy to misread the intent of your post because it does "kind of" come across like you're also discounting PK's abilities. Thanks for clarifying that. And should we discount PK's ability because of an article written by Katz? I kind of don't get why it's a negative thing that Katz loves Gonzaga? Maybe you can help me. I'm just not able to see it right now. Maybe I AM also wearing blinders when it comes to my opinion of Gonzaga basektball. I may actually be worse then Katz in my ability to actually analyze Gonzaga's play objectively. I'm probably a bigger homer than he is. lol lol I am laughing. So try to help me see more clearly.

You, a homer?? Nooooooo....Well of course you are and that's perfectly fine. Katz is ostensibly an objective observer and chronicler of the college bb scene. Exactly what you said, just about everything he says about the Zags (short of facts and figures) needs to be "discounted," in my opinion, due to his feelings about the program. Much the same way Greenberg was looney tunes over the Zags two years ago (he has since changed his tune to considerably less looney). So Katz' work becomes less valuable, IMO, except for those who believe any kind word is a mitzvah.

vandalzag
05-10-2014, 06:16 AM
You, a homer?? Nooooooo....Well of course you are and that's perfectly fine. Katz is ostensibly an objective observer and chronicler of the college bb scene. Exactly what you said, just about everything he says about the Zags (short of facts and figures) needs to be "discounted," in my opinion, due to his feelings about the program. Much the same way Greenberg was looney tunes over the Zags two years ago (he has since changed his tune to considerably less looney). So Katz' work becomes less valuable, IMO, except for those who believe any kind word is a mitzvah.

So in your world the merit's of ones opinion must be tempered if the one opining holds the subject in a positive light? Does that also discount his opinions on the other centers mentioned in the article? Was it Katz's Zag crush that resulted in him stating facts that he doubled his scoring and nearly tripled his rebound averages from the year before?
I guess you consider the part where he said he was not ready to play professionally in Europe was more Zag love? What is odd is that while you agree with him (actually calling Shem a top 5-10 center where as Katz calls his a player to watch) you discount his opinion...so should we discount yours as well?
I would like to thank you for being the GU Boards filter for all media concerning the Zags. Without your keen eye we common folk would be unable to process an opinion regarding Zag basketball. Maybe the board should make it mandatory the you have to approve all media reports written about GU before they are posted on this site? That way the less informed masses will be free from the burden of thinking and forming their own opinion. You could be the the boards own Skip Bayless.

Zagcity
05-10-2014, 07:49 PM
So in your world the merit's of ones opinion must be tempered if the one opining holds the subject in a positive light? Does that also discount his opinions on the other centers mentioned in the article? Was it Katz's Zag crush that resulted in him stating facts that he doubled his scoring and nearly tripled his rebound averages from the year before?
I guess you consider the part where he said he was not ready to play professionally in Europe was more Zag love? What is odd is that while you agree with him (actually calling Shem a top 5-10 center where as Katz calls his a player to watch) you discount his opinion...so should we discount yours as well?
I would like to thank you for being the GU Boards filter for all media concerning the Zags. Without your keen eye we common folk would be unable to process an opinion regarding Zag basketball. Maybe the board should make it mandatory the you have to approve all media reports written about GU before they are posted on this site? That way the less informed masses will be free from the burden of thinking and forming their own opinion. You could be the the boards own Skip Bayless.

I'm confused... who's opinion are we suppose to take with a grain of salt? :confused: