PDA

View Full Version : Melson Gets Gonzaga Excited

Angelo Roncalli
05-06-2014, 07:28 AM
From the Portland Tribune:

Melson says he chose Gonzaga for various reasons, including its basketball tradition, “great coaches who are committed to skill development” and Jesuit education.

“I thought they had the best fit for me as a guard,” he says. “Plus, they have great academics, and I plan on sticking around for all four years and getting my degree.”

Melson wasn’t heavily recruited by other schools. Oregon State, Washington State, Colorado and Oregon showed various degrees of interest.

Gonzaga was the main school that identified him early as a top prospect, and the Bulldogs told him that “if I handle my business, I’ll play right away.”

“We’re really excited about him,” says Brian Michaelson, a former Zag player (2001-05) who came out of Jesuit High and is entering his second year as an assistant coach under Few. “He’s going to battle right away. Hopefully he can get into the rotation right away.

“He’s a very good defender who I think can become a great defender. He’s very athletic and a great shooting. He’s coming off a great senior year.”

http://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/219532-76496-silas-melson-gets-gonzaga-excited

CDC84
05-06-2014, 07:57 AM
You really have to wonder what the staffs at Oregon and Oregon State were thinking. It's not hype...this kid is a Pac 12 talent. At 6-3, it's not like he's severely undersized for a shooting guard at the high major level.

Few went after this kid as if he were Gary Bell Jr, Steven Gray or any of the other top 75 off guards he's recruited. Additionally, he plays for a great high school program that has generated numerous high major players and even some NBA guys.

jazzdelmar
05-06-2014, 08:04 AM
You really have to wonder what the staffs at Oregon and Oregon State were thinking. It's not hype...this kid is a Pac 12 talent. At 6-3, it's not like he's severely undersized for a shooting guard at the high major level.

Few went after this kid as if he were Gary Bell Jr, Steven Gray or any of the other top 75 off guards he's recruited. Additionally, he plays for a great high school program that has generated numerous high major players and even some NBA guys.

Robinson was clearly snoozing and Dana was checking the transfer wire. Kudos to Few.

Mr Vulture
05-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Did Melson play on the AAU programs over the summer? I ask because it seems like guys who don't play AAU tend to be missed or underrated at times. In any case, I love how our staff actually evaluates and projects players instead of reading someone else's analysis.

Angelo Roncalli
05-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Did Melson play on the AAU programs over the summer? I ask because it seems like guys who don't play AAU tend to be missed or underrated at times. In any case, I love how our staff actually evaluates and projects players instead of reading someone else's analysis.

He definitely played AAU. I saw him in a couple of games last summer at Bellevue College. I think his AAU team was ICP Elite, or something like that.

Zagdawg
05-06-2014, 09:20 AM
When Melson crosses the street- the cars look both ways.

Melson can sneeze with his eyes open and lick his elbow at the same time.

I heard Melson counted to infinity....three times.

Death had a near Melson experience twice.

Fear of spiders is called arachnophobia, fear of tight spaces is called claustrophobia, and fear of Melsons offensive talent is just plain logic.

Melson tells Simon what to do.

Melson is the real reason that Waldo is hiding.

Ok-- who all tried to lick their elbow?

BobZag
05-06-2014, 10:11 AM
#10.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24542942/ten-thoughts-from-nike-eybl-sacramento

Someone else to get excited about.

MDABE80
05-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Melson is very exciting. Pope's post is telling. Silas wanted this Jesuit education. ......and it was a big reason he signed. That matters.
This kid will be an exceptional player for us. Everything I seen or read about Silas just shreiks "high end kid". Great fit.

seacatfan
05-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Fear of spiders is called arachnophobia, fear of tight spaces is called claustrophobia, and fear of Melsons offensive talent is just plain logic.

I heard that even the World's Most Interesting Man (from the Dos Equis commercials) admires Melson. Stay thirsty my friends.

tyra
05-06-2014, 10:49 AM
I realize the numbers are sometimes arbitrary but I'd like to know who is likely to play e radiation all 1 most often between Silas and Josh after next year. Is Perkins the 1 or Melson? Who will have the ball at the top of the key most often? Who will bring it down the floor?

sittingon50
05-06-2014, 11:07 AM

:clap:

HenneZag
05-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I realize the numbers are sometimes arbitrary but I'd like to know who is likely to play e radiation all 1 most often between Silas and Josh after next year. Is Perkins the 1 or Melson? Who will have the ball at the top of the key most often? Who will bring it down the floor?

Perkins definitely at the 1 and Melson 2. Perkins is a pure PG and creates for other guys around him with his vision and creative angles. Melson is a better shooter and will be more explosive off the ball. Saying that, Melson can play the point as well when needed, just less likely when they are on the court together.

BTB
05-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Gosh our recruiting class this year is just outrageous. I'm so excited for the future of Gonzaga basketball!

MDABE80
05-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Tyra...there is no "1'. For skills though, Melson seems to be pretty spectacular. Josh does different things (I hope) well.. Both compliment each other.

Zippyzaggy
05-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Melson is also tough....so tough in fact he uses barbed wire as dental floss, a wire brush as a toothbrush, and he also uses sandpaper when he wipes.

Angelo Roncalli
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Melson is also tough....so tough in fact he uses barbed wire as dental floss, a wire brush as a toothbrush, and he also uses sandpaper when he wipes.

LDS missionaries, door-to-door salesmen, Girls Scouts selling cookies, and solicitors seeking charitable donations simply walk past his door without even stopping to knock.

He has hand-made warmups; the jacket is made of feathers plucked from Ducks, the pants are genuine Beaver.

He has ### holders in his kitchen, but has never used them because his hands are so quick.

Oregonzagnut
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
He for sure will play right away. Starting right away is a whole other realm of ability. It will take an immediate NBA talent to displace either in our senior led backcourt. But playing 12-15 minutes a game is well within reason to expect.

DixieZag
05-06-2014, 02:40 PM
LDS missionaries, door-to-door salesmen, Girls Scouts selling cookies, and solicitors seeking charitable donations simply walk past his door without even stopping to knock.

He has hand-made warmups; the jacket is made of feathers plucked from Ducks, the pants are genuine Beaver.

He has ### holders in his kitchen, but has never used them because his hands are so quick.

To bring it back into the realm of justifiable reasons - I would point to his muscle mass. He's not going to get pushed around. I have not seen him play - disclaimer. But from the videos and just the pictures, he's not walking on campus as the flag pole needing to hit the weight room, more like Gary.

ZagaZags
05-06-2014, 11:48 PM
EWU got Rodney Stuckey http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stuckey_rodney00.html
http://www.goeags.com/photos/sport/m-baskbl/auto_headshot/662200.jpeg?max_width=150&max_height=200
Weber State got Damian Lillard http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1468041
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/200/CU/CUIUUSTNGTUVNPW.20110916175132.jpg
GU gets Silas Melson http://www.usatodayhss.com/article/oregon-boys-basketball-poy-silas-melson
http://www.ny2lasports.com/ImageFilesPlayerProfiles/Silas%20Melson.jpg

We stole this one. Welcome to GU Silas Melson.

MDABE80
05-07-2014, 12:52 AM
http://www.usatodayhss.com/article/montana-boys-basketball-poy-tres-tinkle<this guy is one we need.

titopoet
05-07-2014, 07:09 AM

Oregon State vs GU, Beaves had little chance. Few was going to win that recruiting battle 99% of the time.
Ducks vs Bulldog is more power against power. They won Moser, but GU won Sabonis. (We'll soon see who go the better end of that deal) Few was recruiting earlier and won the battle.

exclusivelee
05-07-2014, 07:22 AM
SSF's article on Melson: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/5/7/5688096/2014-gonzaga-recruiting-silas-melson

hooter73
05-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Mike Burns recruited Stucky to eastern. There are GU connections all over this small world.

maynard g krebs
05-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Stuckey had academic issues which caused the big boys to back off. Everybody knew what kind of talent he was when he won the 4a championship at Kentwood.

sittingon50
05-07-2014, 06:28 PM
And he absolutely killed it in the classroom at EWU. Great kid.

75Zag
05-07-2014, 07:05 PM
After a fairly slow start as a high school sophomore, Melson has turned himself into an A+ kid. Played his AAU ball at ICP (Inner City Players) in Portland. ICP has a rigorous academic program including mandatory weekly study sessions at some horrible hour in the morning. I expect him to excel on the court and as a student.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!

HenneZag
05-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Nice little video of the West Coast All-Star Classic:

Silas highlights start around 48 sec
http://youtu.be/N90jKsn8ZsM