• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BaldguyZag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Nov 2009

Greatest backcourt duo in Gonzaga history

With Pangos and Bell Jr. heading into their senior seasons respectfully it got me thinking about how special and rare it is not only for GU basketball, but collegiate basketball history that you see two players start together for four consecutive years (I do realize both didn't start from day one, but close enough to have this discussion). Gonzaga has no doubt had it's fair share of terrific guards, i.e, John Stockton, Matt Santangelo, Richie Frahm, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp, Derek Raivio, Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and so on. Many of these greats crossed paths during their time at GU; Santangelo/Frahm, Dickau/Stepp, Pargo/Raivio, Bouldin/Gray etc. So my question is what duo is the greatest in GU history? Several things should be factored when making the decision; Total wins, conference and conference tourney success, post season tourney success, individual statistics, and individual awards need to be considered. With the list of several Zag greats my pick even pending their final season is the duo of Pangos/Bell Jr. Understanding the fact both had shared injury issues (especially Bell Jr.) Gonzaga' s program has reached new heights with these two at the 1 & 2. I'd love to hear your opinions on this question. I could very well be missing some oldies, but goodies in GU' s history with no disrespect intended.
  • VaBeachZAG
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BaldguyZag View Post
    With Pangos and Bell Jr. heading into their senior seasons respectfully it got me thinking about how special and rare it is not only for GU basketball, but collegiate basketball history that you see two players start together for four consecutive years (I do realize both didn't start from day one, but close enough to have this discussion). Gonzaga has no doubt had it's fair share of terrific guards, i.e, John Stockton, Matt Santangelo, Richie Frahm, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp, Derek Raivio, Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and so on. Many of these greats crossed paths during their time at GU; Santangelo/Frahm, Dickau/Stepp, Pargo/Raivio, Bouldin/Gray etc. So my question is what duo is the greatest in GU history? Several things should be factored when making the decision; Total wins, conference and conference tourney success, post season tourney success, individual statistics, and individual awards need to be considered. With the list of several Zag greats my pick even pending their final season is the duo of Pangos/Bell Jr. Understanding the fact both had shared injury issues (especially Bell Jr.) Gonzaga' s program has reached new heights with these two at the 1 & 2. I'd love to hear your opinions on this question. I could very well be missing some oldies, but goodies in GU' s history with no disrespect intended.
    It is indeed very rare for a pair of guards to start together four consecutive years at the D1 level. If I were making a final vote right now, it would be for Dickau and Stepp. Bell's somewhat inconsistent offense and Pangos' injuries did not help their case this last season. However, the right kind of performance by Pangos and Bell this upcoming season could vault them to the top.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Pangos and Bell are not yet done but they trail a number of duos, IMO. In terms of efficacy, especially postseason, you have to go with E8, S16 Matt and Richie. But if you asked me which pair I would like to see play again it would be hands down, DD and Blake. KP and Bell might edge into the top three but not as of now, as I see Matt B and Gray as #3. Moreover, individually as point guard and shooting guard, neither KP nor Bell make their respective position's top 5.
      Last edited by jazzdelmar; 05-03-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• exclusivelee
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2013

I'd put the 3 year duo of Pargo & Matty B ahead of the 3 year duo of Matty B & Gray

Comment

• 75Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Frahm and Santangelo.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!
          Do not go gentle into that good night,
          Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
          Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Dickau and Stepp...next year could change my opinion
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• HillBillyZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Overall I have to go with Dickau & Stepp also.
              [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
              ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• VinnyZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Dickau and Stepp were the most fun to watch. I always liked Pargo, too -- I'm an a-Pargo-gist -- so I'd out Pargo and Bouldin up there as well.

Comment

• zagfan1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

Hall and Santangelo. Elite 8. They were awesome!

Comment

• zagfan1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

I also liked Raivio and Pargo

Comment

• BTB
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Nov 2012

1) Dan and Blake
                      2) Pargo and Bouldin
                      3) Frahm/Santangelo
                      4) Pangos and Bell, with the caveat that they have a great chance to top the list next year.
                      Last edited by BTB; 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Ezag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
                        Frahm and Santangelo.

Go Bulldogs - Next Year!
                        Agreed!

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

gotta be santangelo and hall
                          they made it happen the most when it mattered the most

Comment

• Ekrub
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2009

Dickau and Stepp.

Comment

• Rbo
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2009

Dickau/Stepp, with Dickau tilting the decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X