PDA

View Full Version : Silas Melson Oregon POY

primal23
04-23-2014, 08:16 AM
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/5463750310938389976/what-they-said-about-jeffersons-silas-melson-the-oregonians-boys-basketball-player-of-the-year/

Great quotes from coaches!! He's going to be good!

MDABE80
04-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Sky's the limit with him if Few handles him properly. Lots of minutes for Silas by January. Bell's been so injury prone, he hasn't done all the things he can do. If Silas keeps healthy , he'll be eyepopping.

DixieZag
04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
All of that and he's a 17 year old walking around in a man's body already. He is not going to get knocked around much - - much like Gary when he came in.

It breaks my heart that Gary has been so injury prone and I think it has driven him back a little offensively, but what Abe says is an undeniable fact and Melson might be a guy who is key even in his frosh year. IF we got a certain transfer or two, I thought it was possible he and Alberts might redshirt, but it is going to be difficult to keep this kind of guy off the floor.

Excellent student and mature guy, too - - the comparisons to Bell (and Pangos) keep flowing.

jazzdelmar
04-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Sky's the limit with him if Few handles him properly. Lots of minutes for Silas by January. Bell's been so injury prone, he hasn't done all the things he can do. If Silas keeps healthy , he'll be eyepopping.

agree doc....and few's comments are pointed IMO. comparing him to GB may be accurate but also sends a not so subtle message to Bell.

scott257
04-23-2014, 09:17 AM
agree doc....and few's comments are pointed IMO. comparing him to GB may be accurate but also sends a not so subtle message to Bell.

You know, when I started my earlier post, I went back and I looked at some of the posts about GB when he was a freshman. There were quite a few that talked about Mark Few committing to put the ball in his hands if he came to Gonzaga. I haven't heard any of that conversation with respect to Melson or Perkins, but Pangos and Bell weren't coming in as freshman onto a team with the depth we have now. It does make me wonder though how much these new kids are going to push the starters. That highlight video is pretty impressive.

jazzdelmar
04-23-2014, 09:21 AM
You know, when I started my earlier post, I went back and I looked at some of the posts about GB when he was a freshman. There were quite a few that talked about Mark Few committing to put the ball in his hands if he came to Gonzaga. I haven't heard any of that conversation with respect to Melson or Perkins, but Pangos and Bell weren't coming in as freshman onto a team with the depth we have now. It does make me wonder though how much these new kids are going to push the starters. That highlight video is pretty impressive.

The incumbents were Meech and DS.

former1dog
04-23-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm actually more excited about Melson than any other recruit.

Seems to me he's a winner in every sense and that not something thats just comes along with being a super talented basketball player.

Not to take anything away from Perkins, Sabonis or Alberts who are all uber talented.

scott257
04-23-2014, 09:36 AM
The incumbents were Meech and DS.

Which makes my point that "Pangos and Bell weren't coming in as freshman onto a team with the depth we have now."

TexasZagFan
04-23-2014, 09:42 AM
What caught my eye were the comments about his defense. If/when BG or KP get into early foul trouble, Silas could be the first one off the bench (I see Draino as more of a 3).

kitzbuel
04-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Seems to me he's a winner in every sense and that not something thats just comes along with being a super talented basketball player.

Not to take anything away from Perkins, Sabonis or Alberts who are all uber talented.

Remember last season when we were trying to figure out who could put the team on his back and carry it? Well he did it for his team when it counted. Very promising.

maynard g krebs
04-23-2014, 10:29 AM

I saw it as a simple player comparison, nothing more to read in. I think Few is a lot happier with Bell than some posters are.

cjm720
04-23-2014, 10:33 AM
I saw it as a simple player comparison, nothing more to read in. I think Few is a lot happier with Bell than some posters are.

An understatement...GB's going to blow up next year without DS on the floor IMO.

Congrats to Silas! I'm thinking 3-year starter...

MDABE80
04-23-2014, 11:32 AM

I agree Maynard. BUT he's so up and down, it's hard to rely on our dreams for him. It's tough to put the ball in Gary's hands when he's frequently hobbled by thus and such. Pangos forcing himself through the latter 3-4ths of the season was simply breathtaking. I don't know how these guys battle through their injuries. They do though. Sometimes not well.
The new kids (outside of Alberts..who could be a very great player) will push for minutes Silas could step in once he get's the plays down. Perkins too. BUT, on the bright side, all these kids coming have done in their young lives is play basketball. With that background, I'm pretty sure they'll get the picture of what Few does. Other teams have it figured out (obviously) so why not our kids?

zag67
04-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I also agree with Maynard, I also think that GB works so hard at the defensive end he does not have very much energy left for offense. I think that having both of them will free GB up to be more offensive. He has shown the skill and his percentages show he can shoot from three. But if you use up all your energy chasing their best shooter, you do not have the energy left to be a consistent shooter. This could be a win/win. Play harder for fewer minutes and get a rest to do it again. This is also a win/win for Pangos and Perkins. Many of us do not understand that being point guard and playing against a full court press all game can take everything out of you to just get the ball up and get into the offensive flow. I am REALLY looking forward to this year.

Baseline
04-23-2014, 02:11 PM
I think Melson could be the surprise player of the year for GU. If the 3 point shooting problem shows again, this may be the answer. If that happens he could assume a big spot in this years outcome.
We have a lot of high level potential, it will be exciting to see who steps forward.

ZAGGED OUT
04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
I think Melson could be the surprise player of the year for GU. If the 3 point shooting problem shows again, this may be the answer. If that happens he could assume a big spot in this years outcome.
We have a lot of high level potential, it will be exciting to see who steps forward.

Perkins is a good shooter as well, believe he was over 40% from deep this year, I agree it will be an interesting and fun season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SageOfZagville
04-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Go back and watch his signing day video when he committed to GU. The last question put to him was 'What do you want to accomplish this year? Answer: Another State Championship and Player of the Year. Check and Check. Folks, I think we have a good one.

thespywhozaggedme
04-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Agreed, and a true Alpha Dog, unlike Gary who fades in the background too often.

DixieZag
04-23-2014, 07:26 PM
I agree Maynard. BUT he's o up and down, it's hard to rely on our dreams for him. It's tough to put the ball in Gary's hands when he's frequently hobbled by thus and such. Pangos forcing himself through the latter 3-4ths of the season was simply breathtaking. I don't know how these guys battle through their injuries. They do though. SOmetimes not well.
The new kids (outside of ALberts..who could be a very great player) will push for minutes SIlas could step in once he get's the plays down. Perkins too. BUT, on the bright side, all these kids coming have done in their young lives is play basketball. With that background, I'm pretty sure theyll get the picture of what Few does. Other teams have it figured out (obviously) so why not our kids?

Great points. The one about Gary being hobbled so much resonates big time. His frosh year (when he wasn't) he shot the highest 3 percentage in the conference, played D as well as anyone on the team and frequently handled the point when KP was out and did it just fine. We forget - GB came in as a PG and slid into it easily frosh year.

Melson is going to be a load to handle - good size, a little bigger than the two we have now. It'll be interesting next year. Just hope Pangos and Bell stay healthy through their senior years and Perkins and Melson provide great support.

SteelZag
04-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Those four going up against each other everyday in practice should elevate all their games.

seacatfan
04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm glad people are excited about Melson. I hope he contributes as a freshman and has a great career at GU. I'm not ready to give up on Bell. I think he's been a big contributor to GU's success the last 3 years. I also think he was "the man" for a good Kentridge program while he was in high school. Lots of high schoolers are "the man," not as many are in college. You can only have so many on one team.

maynard g krebs
04-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Agreed, and a true Alpha Dog, unlike Gary who fades in the background too often.

That remains to be seen on the college level. Washington POY>Oregon POY most years, and we all know who won which. I didn't see this year's Jeff team, but Jeff is the Rainier Beach of Oregon, so it's pretty safe to assume SM had a better supporting cast as a sr than Bell did. So Melson's 24 ppg probably = to Bell's 28. Bell was every bit the alpha dog for Kentridge. That 28 ppg was against constant double teams.

Bell is a bit like Stepp and Heytvelt in terms of diminished physical ability due to injury imo. That really hit me when he front rimmed an open dunk late last yr; in HS he had his elbow at the rim on those.

MDABE80
04-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Define a better defensive scheme and keep him healthy. He'll be fine. I don't know any reason he can't do 15ppg. I really never have understood why a $ A kid who played at high competition and ws POY with big numbers comes to U and doesn't remain outstanding. Lots more kids dividing up the numbers but still......a super kid should do better. Injuries kill ya.

Ezag
04-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Honestly how much playing time will SM get? Bell, I think is topped out. He was so good as a freshman, everyone expected by now he'd be scoring 25pts a game. But for 3 seasons, he has pretty much stayed about the same which is not bad. In the past 3 seasons has averaged about 28mpg, around 10-11ppg and shot around the same percentage.