• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott257
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

Luke Meikle

I am really curious where people think Luke Meikle is going to fit in and be used within the current roster and knowing that we seem to be working on bringing in transfers that would probably negatively impact his playing time for the coming season. I really liked what I saw of him last season, but I acknowledge that his time on the floor last year was almost too limited to really draw any conclusions.

I don't want to start a rumor and am merely speculating, but am I off base thinking he might actually be better off red shirting or even transferring?
  • scott257
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by #1bulldogfan
    You asked and I will tell you. YOU ARE OFF BASE!
    Certainly a concise response. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why? I think he may be a great kid, but I would hate to see him spend another season with such limited playing time.

Comment

• cjm720
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2007

He's still very young. I see him as a tremendous fit, but likely will be a couple years down the line-hope he redshirts this or next year.
      Go Zags!!!

Comment

• scott257
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by #1bulldogfan
        If you have to ask I can not help you. Even tho this is a public forum he is a Zag. He and GC deserve more from their fan base. These are Kids who have given all to be a Zag and I have to believe that still means something.
        I think you have missed the point of my original question entirely. I am not trying to push him out at all, but I can't help but think he doesn't want to use up another year of his eligibility with the prospect of having his playing time limited in the way it was last season. So, does anyone think he will see more playing time next season, or does anyone think a redshirt (or transfer) is advisable?

Comment

• HenneZag
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2012

LM-
          I liked what I saw of him in limited minutes last year. He showed the ability to play with intensity and mix it up down low, he also is a good 3 point shooter. He is a pendo type of player imo. I am interested to see what he does next year, definitely an intriguing player.
          America's Team!

Comment

• Zag_Dad
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2013

I ran into a family member of Luke's this week and learned that he plans to stay in Spokane for the summer. There was no indication that Luke plans to red shirt or transfer. It sounded like he is determined to spend time in the gym and compete for more time on the court.

I was not overly impressed when I first learned that Meikle had signed with Gonzaga but was pleasantly surprised with what I saw of him this last season. I'm optimistic that he will continue to develop and will become a solid contributor to the Zags for three more years. He comes from a very nice family and has a good foundation to be more than a permanent fixture on the bench.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag_Dad View Post
              I ran into a family member of Luke's this week and learned that he plans to stay in Spokane for the summer. There was no indication that Luke plans to red shirt or transfer. It sounded like he is determined to spend time in the gym and compete for more time on the court.

I was not overly impressed when I first learned that Meikle had signed with Gonzaga but was pleasantly surprised with what I saw of him this last season. I'm optimistic that he will continue to develop and will become a solid contributor to the Zags for three more years. He comes from a very nice family and has a good foundation to be more than a permanent fixture on the bench.
              Nice to hear. Thx.

Comment

• scott257
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
                LM-
                I liked what I saw of him in limited minutes last year. He showed the ability to play with intensity and mix it up down low, he also is a good 3 point shooter. He is a pendo type of player imo. I am interested to see what he does next year, definitely an intriguing player.
                I certainly agree with you. I guess another part of what prompted my post above is that from what I did see, I would like to see more of him and the pursuit of the transfers has me wondering why?? Of course how strongly we are pursuing these transfers is really unknown to us, but in my mind, if Coleman isn't transferring (which is what we have been told) why are we going after these guys when there is no room on the roster?

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

Luke is a throw back zag. Scrappy, hits threes, mixes it up in a scrum... I love his play. The original question of how he and thusly that style of play fits in with the incoming crop and all the recruiting of other players into his projected positions does raise some questions on just where he will fit and find his playing time. I worry about the unspoken T word.

Comment

• WBM
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Oct 2013

I don't see transferring as being a viable option. How many places is Luke going to look to transfer to where he can practice every day with the level of players we have here?

I just spent a whole lot of time thinking about this, and then it occurred to me that I'm not really sure which role Wiltjer will fill most of the time. At first, I thought he could be a big 3 with his shooting and his ability to get inside. It stands to reason in my mind though that he'll be playing the 4, having been working with Knight on his body and getting the "Olynyk treatment."

So if Wiltjer is playing at the 4, I'd think the possibility is real for Sabonis to spell Karnowski at the 5, and that leaves the 4 open for Meikle and Nunez to spell.

I think something that's really important to look at is whether we see a very fast paced game from the Zags, given how deep we are next season. Maybe Few decides to play fast and hard with minutes spread out more evenly over 10-12 guys instead of 8. If we play fast Karnowski's going to need to sit down more frequently, which leaves opportunities for Sabonis. Wiltjer looks pretty fit but will still need a breather, which would open up minutes for Meikle or Nunez to fill. Neither of those two is overly experienced to warrant huge minutes.

Maybe the minutes work out something like this:

PG Pangos 34
                    PG Perkins 12
                    SG Bell 28
                    SG Melson 8
                    SG Alberts 5
                    SF Dranginis 24
                    SF Coleman 12
                    PF Wiltjer 20
                    PF Nunez 8
                    PF Meikle 8
                    C Karnowski 21
                    C Sabonis 20

I'd think that Meikle would enjoy practicing with and playing 8 minutes a game (double what he averaged last year) in an incredibly deep lineup. Of course, I don't think it's likely we'll see Mark Few playing 12 guys on a nightly basis, but season averages, perhaps?

Short of just sitting very talented young players for long periods, I think the natural thing to do with such a deep team is to play at a higher pace to take advantage of our offense. Of course, if those talented young players can't succeed on defense, too, then we might see them sitting more...

Bottom line is I'm damn excited for next year.

Comment

• scott257
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2009

I guess another question would be does anyone see Melson or Alberts as wanting to redshirt? Dranginis did as a freshman and I can't help but think that was a good move for him. I know that having players redshirt doesn't free up scholarship space for transfers so the question of whether anyone redshirts doesn't help answer the question as to why we would be seeking a transfer.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by WBM View Post
                        I don't see transferring as being a viable option. How many places is Luke going to look to transfer to where he can practice every day with the level of players we have here?

I just spent a whole lot of time thinking about this, and then it occurred to me that I'm not really sure which role Wiltjer will fill most of the time. At first, I thought he could be a big 3 with his shooting and his ability to get inside. It stands to reason in my mind though that he'll be playing the 4, having been working with Knight on his body and getting the "Olynyk treatment."

So if Wiltjer is playing at the 4, I'd think the possibility is real for Sabonis to spell Karnowski at the 5, and that leaves the 4 open for Meikle and Nunez to spell.

I think something that's really important to look at is whether we see a very fast paced game from the Zags, given how deep we are next season. Maybe Few decides to play fast and hard with minutes spread out more evenly over 10-12 guys instead of 8. If we play fast Karnowski's going to need to sit down more frequently, which leaves opportunities for Sabonis. Wiltjer looks pretty fit but will still need a breather, which would open up minutes for Meikle or Nunez to fill. Neither of those two is overly experienced to warrant huge minutes.

Maybe the minutes work out something like this:

PG Pangos 34
                        PG Perkins 12
                        SG Bell 28
                        SG Melson 8
                        SG Alberts 5
                        SF Dranginis 24
                        SF Coleman 12
                        PF Wiltjer 20
                        PF Nunez 8
                        PF Meikle 8
                        C Karnowski 21
                        C Sabonis 20

I'd think that Meikle would enjoy practicing with and playing 8 minutes a game (double what he averaged last year) in an incredibly deep lineup. Of course, I don't think it's likely we'll see Mark Few playing 12 guys on a nightly basis, but season averages, perhaps?

Short of just sitting very talented young players for long periods, I think the natural thing to do with such a deep team is to play at a higher pace to take advantage of our offense. Of course, if those talented young players can't succeed on defense, too, then we might see them sitting more...

Bottom line is I'm damn excited for next year.

Three potential pros playing half a game each. Not bloody likely.

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Melson will be froint like by Jan. Those 4 guards...Pangos, Bell, Perkins and Melson are just superior. Dranginis will see lots of time too just not likely as a 1 or 2. We have a glut of talent. Still though, we've missed out on one key player: An athletic big who rebounds. Till we find one, I suspect it'll be swt 16 and no further.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

I think he'd be better served by RS along side Edwards... they could be a quite the tandem by their RS Senior years.

Am I the only one that thinks Edwards may be the diamond in the rough and will be amazing when he comes off his RS year?
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Worthington
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Aug 2011

I like Meikle quite a bit. I just hope he can see how he fits with this team. He's going to need to be very patient in order to crack the rotation. I think he has more potential than a lot would give him credit for, but if he does just become a four year guy who gives some valuable minutes off the bench then I would be thrilled. Unfortunately, that's a tough sell nowadays. The front court is stacked for the next few years, but he seems like a hard worker so as long as he keeps putting in the time, things will all work out for the best for him. The only reason I might advise him not to take a redshirt year this season is because it's quite likely there might be even less minutes available next year. A redshirt year either this year or next is a must though, IMO.

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
                              I guess another question would be does anyone see Melson or Alberts as wanting to redshirt? Dranginis did as a freshman and I can't help but think that was a good move for him. I know that having players redshirt doesn't free up scholarship space for transfers so the question of whether anyone redshirts doesn't help answer the question as to why we would be seeking a transfer.
                              I think Alberts should definitely redshirt. Coming off an injury and into a crowded back court, this one makes a lot of sense. I think Melson is ready to contribute at the college level, but probably won't get as many minutes as his talent warrants. The coaches will probably want to get him up to speed with some game experience, and given the calibre of player he is, I don't think redshirting his freshman year is what he has in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X