PDA

View Full Version : WSU in the Spokane Arena

Angelo Roncalli
04-17-2014, 10:14 AM
and other scheduling stuff....

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/arts_and_entertainment/article_d7f046c0-c5df-11e3-be30-001a4bcf6878.html

GoZags
04-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Good stuff Angelo.

Amazin' that the Bulletin "breaks" news ... i.e. Wazzu in the Arena ... Battle in Seattle.... grad rate plans, etc.

They've come some distance from the "good old days" of the GU Bulletin.

BobZag
04-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Since I cannot stand the Spokane Arena - A good excuse to miss this game. But go Zags.

gonzagafan62
04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Awesome article. Thanks for sharing Angelo!

GoZags
04-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Since I cannot stand the Spokane Arena - A good excuse to miss this game. But go Zags.

I'll go out on a limb and guess you'd have also missed the game if it'd stayed in it's original location (Pullman for next year).

gonzagafan62
04-17-2014, 10:37 AM
I'll go out on a limb and guess you'd have also missed the game if it'd stayed in it's original location (Pullman for next year).

This is a turn I didn't expect I am not going to lie. I really was scared after the end of this season that we had to play in Pullman. This is actually a good thing for the Zags, at least IMO

primal23
04-17-2014, 10:37 AM
-Drools- My brother-in-law is a UCLA grad, so really want that win!

UberZagFan
04-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Uber thinks he understands this:

During Mark Few’s reign as head coach, only one player has failed to graduate during his years of college basketball eligibility, Roth said.

But it's a bit deceptive. Obviously, this does not refer to players who transferred or were "asked" to part ways. But does it even refer to Daye's situation? Or is there a player out there that used up all of his eligibility, i.e., four years, and still did not graduate? Pretty sure this must mean the latter.

Either way, impressive to have a plan in place to get these kids a degree and not just meet minimum NCAA requirements.

exclusivelee
04-17-2014, 10:55 AM

better than in Pullman. Now, will this be a yearly event in the Spokane Arena then?

KStyles
04-17-2014, 11:03 AM
But it's a bit deceptive. Obviously, this does not refer to players who transferred or were "asked" to part ways. But does it even refer to Daye's situation? Or is there a player out there that used up all of his eligibility, i.e., four years, and still did not graduate? Pretty sure this must mean the latter.

Gotta be the latter. We know Morrison didn't graduate during his 3 years of eligibility, and while I could be wrong, I doubt Daye graduated during his 2 years of eligibility.

Edit: I guess this line right before your quote would exclude Daye, Morrison, etc.

The university and GU Athletics look better, since almost every player who doesn’t leave early for the NBA now graduates.

exclusivelee
04-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Huge comment made in the article:

The only drawback to the nonconference schedule? Because of undisclosed logistical issues, Roth said the prospects of bringing a high-quality opponent to meet the Zags in Seattle are dicey. The Battle in Seattle opponent might look a lot more like the South Alabama Jaguars than the Oklahoma State, Missouri, Arizona or Kansas State teams the Zags have faced in the past.

The Battle in Seattle won't be sustainable if the Zags can't at least bring a top 100 program into the mix year after year. South Alabama,whose RPI was a humiliating 280 (http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/South%20Alabama.html) at year's end, despite how well they competed against the Zags and the talent that Augustine Rubit possesses.

BobZag
04-17-2014, 11:09 AM

True. I get enough dust from the Palouse in the offseason. ;)

BobZag
04-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Huge comment made in the article:

The Battle in Seattle won't be sustainable if the Zags can't at least bring a top 100 program into the mix year after year. South Alabama,whose RPI was a humiliating 280 (http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/South%20Alabama.html) at year's end, despite how well they competed against the Zags and the talent that Augustine Rubit possesses.

I think a middling MWC team like, say, Fresno State or Wyoming, would do the trick until those logistical issues are ironed out.

sittingon50
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Great article. Surprised the Cougs are giving up what I'm guessing would have been their highest attended home game next season. Anxious to see how this plays out in the years to come.

Thanks for the link, Angelo.

HillBillyZag
04-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Obviously " Uncle Ernie" would like to increase the Cougar fan base in Spokane and the entire area. He does not want to see the Zags continue being our Area'basketball "Darlings". Coug's and Eagles are well represented, but when push comes to shove?, Spokane is Gonzaga's City. I forecast 75% of the crowd will be Pro-Zag.

RenoZag
04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Amazin' that the Bulletin "breaks" news ... i.e. Wazzu in the Arena ... Battle in Seattle.... grad rate plans, etc.

They've come some distance from the "good old days" of the GU Bulletin.

Yes, but they didn't have that swell office in the belly of the COG across from the bookstore.

exclusivelee
04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Zags play Wazzu in Pullman in the 2015-16 season:

Jacob Thorpe ‏@JacobThorpeSR
Can confirm #WSU will play Gonzaga at Spokane Arena next year as part of a 3-year contract of at Gonzaga, at Spokane Arena then at WSU.

2:46 PM - 17 Apr 2014 (https://twitter.com/JacobThorpeSR/status/456911696179625984)

vandalzag
04-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I wonder what the split is on the Gate for this WSU home game. WSU would not be giving up too much by moving the game, since they would not get over 10K for the game. Hopefully they will not jack up the prices like they did for the McDonald game.

Zagdawg
04-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Should have a decent group show up-- between the Zags and Wash State --there are a few fans in the area.

We can call it "Battle for top team in Washington"

sittingon50
04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
And they're loving it on CougFan:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137&f=1996&t=12824756

Birddog
04-18-2014, 04:28 AM
And they're loving it on CougFan:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137&f=1996&t=12824756
Both of 'em?

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2014, 05:50 AM
Wow... what a well written, balanced article... not.

http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/1394961.html (http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/1394961.html)

JAGzag
04-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Both of 'em?

:lmao:

MTZag03
04-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Wow... what a well written, balanced article... not.

http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/1394961.html (http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/1394961.html)

Lol. Oh boy that is funny. I can see a grain of truth in it, but it's not like a game in Spokane is onerous for WSU fans to attend. It sure beats UW's proposal to us of all games at Key Arena.

vandalzag
04-18-2014, 07:17 AM
:lmao:

Interesting if true. I can remember a post game interview with Few/or Monson after the 1998 UW game lauding Bender for playing the game vs GU in Spokane, basically saying that a big conference school did not need to do that. It is nice to have the upper hand and if things reversed Moos would have zero issue in doing the same thing.

Now that being said the person who wrote the article needs to loosen up the tinfoil hat. The team that wins and fills the seats makes the decision. A school that put all of 3000 fans for Senior night vs UCLA should not be complaining about losing a home game, especially for one that is based in the city with the 2nd highest amount of wsu alumni in the state. The author should be careful about coming down on the WCC, last years Coug team would have been lucky to finsish 6th in the WCC.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Lol. Oh boy that is funny. I can see a grain of truth in it, but it's not like a game in Spokane is onerous for WSU fans to attend. It sure beats UW's proposal to us of all games at Key Arena.

Oh yeah... so do I... but it is lost on the author that his remarks make him look as petty as the people he is calling petty. A better, more balanced article is here....

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2014/4/18/5628000/gonzaga-wsu-scheduling-controversy

This one actually hits many of the main points well.

sylean
04-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I wonder what the split is on the Gate for this WSU home game. WSU would not be giving up too much by moving the game, since they would not get over 10K for the game. Hopefully they will not jack up the prices like they did for the McDonald game.

actually, for the zags, the cougs sell out very well....everyone likes to hate on the zags....so its not about attendence....I just read that the cougs were forced to take this 2 for 1 deal or the game would be dropped .....107 yr history.......if the cougs tell the zags to pound sand in the next contract, then that will be two Pac12 teams in state that won't play them......does not look good ......and if they aren't careful, no quality opponent will play them in Seattle either.......better to play their cards graciously or they're OOC schedule will be pitiful....

sylean
04-18-2014, 08:10 AM
if the zags loose another pac 12 rivalry game....an instate rivalry....playing the same tricks that uw did, who will be to blame?.......Roth had better be careful.....zags want to build their out of conference schedule and the cougs have been a patsy for them and still holding the pac 12 card, so why would Roth want to threaten to pull the game unless he gets his way?....does he think Boise St will fill the bill?......will get to a point that no big time school will come here?.....and then what?.......roth will be back to begging for teams to come here.........people better start looking at the future....

gonzagafan62
04-18-2014, 08:10 AM
actually, for the zags, the cougs sell out very well....everyone likes to hate on the zags....so its not about attendence....I just read that the cougs were forced to take this 2 for 1 deal or the game would be dropped .....107 yr history.......if the cougs tell the zags to pound sand in the next contract, then that will be two Pac12 teams in state that won't play them......does not look good ......and if they aren't careful, no quality opponent will play them in Seattle either.......better to play their cards graciously or they're OOC schedule will be pitiful....

Pitiful? Really? The two teams in Washington Right now suck. Washington and Washington State are good rivals, but neither team is any good right now. Our OOC is just fine going to UCLA, Arizona, SMU and the NIT Preseason Tipoff, and Memphis. I am not worried about our future SOS especially if we get those quality teams still playing us.

BTW, Washington is coming closer and closer to a deal with Gonzaga, so if we don't have Wazzou, and we take Washington back, I am not worried. OOC is just fine. Last year was an anomaly.

gonzagafan62
04-18-2014, 08:13 AM
if the zags loose another pac 12 rivalry game....an instate rivalry....playing the same tricks that uw did, who will be to blame?.......Roth had better be careful.....zags want to build their out of conference schedule and the cougs have been a patsy for them and still holding the pac 12 card, so why would Roth want to threaten to pull the game unless he gets his way?....does he think Boise St will fill the bill?......will get to a point that no big time school will come here?.....and then what?.......roth will be back to begging for teams to come here.........people better start looking at the future....

Nobody cares about the Conference card, they care about strength of schedule. I really believe we will keep one of the two rivals. We don't need both at the moment. And just so you know, Boise State has been better the last 5 years than Wazzou or Washington State. lol

sylean
04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
so who's playing in Seattle?

HillBillyZag
04-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Why not start a neutral (sic) Court series with a good Big East opponent? Say St. Johns in the Garden?, St. Johns in Seattle. DePaul in Seattle?, DePaul at the Horizon? It would be win/win for both Conferences & Schools.

VaBeachZAG
04-18-2014, 08:46 AM
The team that wins and fills the seats makes the decision. A school that put all of 3000 fans for Senior night vs UCLA should not be complaining about losing a home game, especially for one that is based in the city with the 2nd highest amount of wsu alumni in the state. The author should be careful about coming down on the WCC, last years Coug team would have been lucky to finsish 6th in the WCC.

I would agree that from a purely objective point of view, any actual "harm" to WSU is probably minimal. However, I don't think "harm" is the point at all. The real issue here is one of respect between two programs that I have always viewed as friendly rivals. I recall back in the day when WSU came to Kennedy to play the Zags when no other major conference school would do so. If this was, indeed, a take it or leave it proposal from the GU administration, then I am deeply disappointed that it happened. Those who have been following the Zags for many years remember when the best OOC game we could get was a two for one, or more likely, no return game at all. We all felt the sting from the arrogance of the programs making such demands. So, now that the Zags are on the other side of the fence, are we now going to exhibit that same arrogance? WSU did not deserve a take or leave it ultimatum from the Zags, if that is what happened. If it is, then we are moving toward an elitist attitude which I am sad to see.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I would agree that from a purely objective point of view, any actual "harm" to WSU is probably minimal. However, I don't think "harm" is the point at all. The real issue here is one of respect between two programs that I have always viewed as friendly rivals. I recall back in the day when WSU came to Kennedy to play the Zags when no other major conference school would do so. If this was, indeed, a take it or leave it proposal from the GU administration, then I am deeply disappointed that it happened. Those who have been following the Zags for many years remember when the best OOC game we could get was a two for one, or more likely, no return game at all. We all felt the sting from the arrogance of the programs making such demands. So, now that the Zags are on the other side of the fence, are we now going to exhibit that same arrogance? WSU did not deserve a take or leave it ultimatum from the Zags, if that is what happened. If it is, then we are moving toward an elitist attitude which I am sad to see.

+1,000,000

hockeyzag
04-18-2014, 09:31 AM

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Zagcity
04-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Let's hope the more to it than meets the eye :)

Ekrub
04-18-2014, 10:06 AM
The power conferences have dictated when and where we play in the out of conference and you are surprised that once Gonzaga has a little leverage we try and use that to our advantage? Sorry, but I'm not feeling bad for WSU in the slightest here. They are a drag on our RPI and our "rivalry" isn't exactly Duke-UNC. If WSU had the leverage they would pull the exact same sort of thing on us. History-Shmistory. Dead man's baggage.

duper
04-18-2014, 11:11 AM
The power conferences have dictated when and where we play in the out of conference and you are surprised that once Gonzaga has a little leverage we try and use that to our advantage? Sorry, but I'm not feeling bad for WSU in the slightest here. They are a drag on our RPI and our "rivalry" isn't exactly Duke-UNC. If WSU had the leverage they would pull the exact same sort of thing on us. History-Shmistory. Dead man's baggage.

They did had the leverage for most of the 107 years this game has been played ( longer than Duke UNC). This is the same crap UW pulled on the Zags that so many posters have belittled Romar for. If it was wrong when it was done to you it must be wrong do pass it along. Are we scared to play in Pullman? So much for "ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.." At the very least this was handled in a bad way that makes GU look petty.

primal23
04-18-2014, 11:31 AM
If this report is true, I really feel disappointed in our AD and staff. Pulling the same BS as UW.

Ekrub
04-18-2014, 12:35 PM
They did had the leverage for most of the 107 years this game has been played ( longer than Duke UNC). This is the same crap UW pulled on the Zags that so many posters have belittled Romar for. If it was wrong when it was done to you it must be wrong do pass it along. Are we scared to play in Pullman? So much for "ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.." At the very least this was handled in a bad way that makes GU look petty.

And I'm sure for most of those years they used that power. It hasn't been 107 years of home and home and the series was cancelled between 77-01.

And lets be honest here. Going down to pullman every other year to play the #10 pac-10 team is not helping us at all.

VaBeachZAG
04-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Anyone, please anyone, tell me how this is not the elitist attitude that most GU fans over the years have lamented. To me, as a Zag alum and Zag bb follower, I am embarrassed to see such a comment on this board. Pathetic! So, if this is the direction our program is taking (i.e., leveraging a many decades old friendly rival), then you might as well just call us UW Huskies east!

sylean
04-18-2014, 12:44 PM
And I'm sure for most of those years they used that power. It hasn't been 107 years of home and home and the series was cancelled between 77-01.

And lets be honest here. Going down to pullman every other year to play the #10 pac-10 team is not helping us at all.
EXACTLY!....the zags don't need no stinking cougs....I'm sure the zags can bring Duke here anytime they wanted, or Syracuse or Kentucky....lets just ask........seriously, zag fans across the country should realize that most local zag fans here in the Spokane area are also Coug fans...infact, I'd say most local Zag fans.........this is a friendly rivalry and this whole deal sort of smells especially since it is WSU bringing the tournements here and that brings lots of opportunity for Gonzaga, and lots of dough to our area.......shouldn't we be getting along zags and cougs?....

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Before we all get our panties in a bunch here, I have been looking through the record book. For a good chunk of the 70s and 80s the Zags and WSU played each other... in the Spokane Coliseum. Plus there are a few years where they didn't play. It isn't all that sacred. The home and homes seem more of a more current trend. Regretfully records in the guide stop and the 58-59 season.

I don't like the idea of GU playing tough with WSU, if it is as it is being reported. By the same token, there seems to be more than a few years where they haven't played at all... and since 1958... a sizeable chunk of them were played IN Spokane AT the coliseum, not at GU or Pullman. So it isn't if this was considered all that sacred in the past.

seacatfan
04-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Why not start a neutral (sic) Court series with a good Big East opponent? Say St. Johns in the Garden?, St. Johns in Seattle. DePaul in Seattle?, DePaul at the Horizon? It would be win/win for both Conferences & Schools.

I thought you said a good opponent? DePaul has been terrible for years and will probably never be good again like they were way back in the 80's or earlier. St. John's is a poor shadow of their former selves as well.

exclusivelee
04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm sure the zags can bring Duke here anytime they wanted, or Syracuse or Kentucky....lets just ask........

May have to look several years down the road for any of those possibilities

1997 @ UNLV) was the last time Syracuse played a true road non-conference game anywhere closer than Missouri and 2007 (@ Canisius) was the last time they play a true road game against a BCS school

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2014, 12:57 PM

You sound like a Husky fan. What are you going to follow up with? We should have a more national schedule?

Yes, there are many years as of later where WSU doesn't help... but being in the P10/P12 means they will have a solid RPI every year, no matter how bad they might be.

Ekrub
04-18-2014, 01:14 PM
You sound like a Husky fan. What are you going to follow up with? We should have a more national schedule?

Yes, there are many years as of later where WSU doesn't help... but being in the P10/P12 means they will have a solid RPI every year, no matter how bad they might be.

I'm not suggesting to end the series entirely. I'm just saying we should and did schedule smart, which is what few and Roth did. Sorry if I'm not sharing in the outrage over this "rivalry." I just find it hard to believe the games have never been on WSU's terms. And I don't believe that this series is all that unfavorable to WSU anyways. If that's "elitist" nonsense that is embarrassing to have on this board then so be it.

FWIW I'm a coug fan too. But I won't berate Gonzaga for making a decision in their own self interest.

WSU RPI last three years: 223,189,186... What was Gonzaga's RPI the last three years UW played gonzaga?

Zag 77
04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Read the fine print. The game with Wazzu in the Spokane Arena is designated as a GU home game. They have altered who is the home team next year, which should have been Wazzu. Wazzu does not have to play us in the Kennel, which is a significant thing for GU to give up. Then Wazzu gets us in Pullman in 2015. By the time Wazzu has to come back to the Kennel in 2016, Kent may well have a team able to compete, since he will have a couple years worth of his own recruits.

Plus, more likely that Wazzu can take advantage of a presence in Spokane with a game that lots of people want to see. Most likely, more Wazzu fans can get tickets to a game in the Spokane Arena than the Kennel. In case nobody has noticed, there are a hell of a lot of Wazzu alums in Spokane.

Sounds to me like we are giving Wazzu a sweetheart deal, and frankly helping them out when they are dog poop. They just had a couple more players transfer out. If we were "dictating" to them we would have kept the GU home game in our campus facility. I have seen every game that GU has played in the Spokane Arena in the last 15 years and the atmosphere has NEVER been that great for GU. You have no Kennel Club sitting in a mass section and the fan noise is dissipated.

The guys writing the Slipper article either are being obtuse or are just trying to gin up a controversy where none legitimately exists in order to drive up hits on their site.

The only real controversy that could exist is complaints from the Kennel Club and GU season ticket holders for giving up a home game in the Kennel.

gonzagafan62
04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Read the fine print. The game with Wazzu in the Spokane Arena is designated as a GU home game. They have altered who is the home team next year, which should have been Wazzu. Wazzu does not have to play us in the Kennel, which is a significant thing for GU to give up. Then Wazzu gets us in Pullman in 2015. By the time Wazzu has to come back to the Kennel in 2016, Kent may well have a team able to compete, since he will have a couple years worth of his own recruits.

Plus, more likely that Wazzu can take advantage of a presence in Spokane with a game that lots of people want to see. Most likely, more Wazzu fans can get tickets to a game in the Spokane Arena than the Kennel. In case nobody has noticed, there are a hell of a lot of Wazzu alums in Spokane.

Sounds to me like we are giving Wazzu a sweetheart deal, and frankly helping them out when they are dog poop. They just had a couple more players transfer out. If we were "dictating" to them we would have kept the GU home game in our campus facility. I have seen every game that GU has played in the Spokane Arena in the last 15 years and the atmosphere has NEVER been that great for GU. You have no Kennel Club sitting in a mass section and the fan noise is dissipated.

The guys writing the Slipper article either are being obtuse or are just trying to gin up a controversy where none legitimately exists in order to drive up hits on their site.

The only real controversy that could exist is complaints from the Kennel Club and GU season ticket holders for giving up a home game in the Kennel.

I guess you didn't read the "original print" then. Gonzaga played Wazzou in Kennel last year. We play in Spokane this year and Pullman later. That's 2 of three years to Spokane and not Pullman.

gonzagafan62
04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
I guess you didn't read the "original print" then. Gonzaga played Wazzou in Kennel last year. We play in Spokane this year and Pullman later. That's 2 of three years to Spokane and not Pullman.

EDIT: This might be defined as a "home game" but when you schedule game, it really doesn't matter who is actually designated the "home team" this will be called a "neutral site" game according tot he RPI, BPI and all that jazz.

exclusivelee
04-18-2014, 03:36 PM
WSU AD Bill Moos on Gonzaga series:

By Jacob Thorpe of the Spokesman Review

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/apr/18/wsu-ad-bill-moos-gonzaga-series-and-more/

Today I caught up with Bill Moos and we chatted about the series with Gonzaga, as well as some other items.

Moos said that the decision to play two games in Spokane came down to the fact that the Bulldogs' need for marquee games both at home on the road, and where WSU fit in those plans.

“This happened last summer. They were in a situation where they really feel they have to play some schools that have a high RPI because they don’t have that many in their league schedule, like we do. So they were adding more schools to their schedule to achieve that, and that’s all to jockey of course for NCAA tournament seeding.

“So we had a discussion about continuing our series and they had a problem this coming year where they needed another game in Spokane and we had just played them there last year, so that’s where the arena game came from. And then they come back down the following year.”

Moos said that he accepted two GU home games to one WSU home game because of the two schools' historic relationship. Next year's game at Spokane Arena will be a GU home game and the schools will not split the gate receipt.

“I didn’t think we could close the deal and I thought we were in jeopardy of losing the rivalry,” Moos said. “So I conceded, and I appreciated their dilemma. I conceded that with the stipulation that we could bring our spirit squads and band, and that we get some good tickets for our fans.”

Zagcity
04-18-2014, 04:33 PM
WSU AD Bill Moos on Gonzaga series:

By Jacob Thorpe of the Spokesman Review

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2014/apr/18/wsu-ad-bill-moos-gonzaga-series-and-more/

And now you know the rest of the story ;)

Ekrub
04-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Blasphemy. Few and company are at fault for all of this and the need for more high RPI games is just a screen for what's really going on: Gonzaga stomping mud over the most historic rivalry in all of sports that little Ole GU is lucky to have.

DixieZag
04-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Obviously " Uncle Ernie" would like to increase the Cougar fan base in Spokane and the entire area. He does not want to see the Zags continue being our Area'basketball "Darlings". Coug's and Eagles are well represented, but when push comes to shove?, Spokane is Gonzaga's City. I forecast 75% of the crowd will be Pro-Zag.

Agree. If for no other reason than Coug fans can go down and see any game they want, while it is rare that a Zags fan without season tickets gets to a live game (ironically, going down to Pullman is the most likely candidate most years.)

Zag 77
04-18-2014, 11:20 PM
This notion of this arrangement being a slap at Wazzu is crazy talk. We play one at GU, one at Wazzu and one at a neutral site. Look at this objectively from Ernie Kent's perspective. If he is going to knock off the Zags, is it more likely to happen at the Kennel or at the Arena? I know anything can happen anywhere, but just look at the odds.

This notion of some alleged false hubris on the part of an 8,000 student school from a middling conference with no football somehow "dictating" to a State school with 20,000 students, probably 10 times the alumni, from a BCS conference, with a budget that dwarfs GU is so ridiculous as to make my head hurt. This is akin to arguing that David was picking on poor Goliath.

Give me a friggin break.:lmao:

MDABE80
04-19-2014, 12:51 AM
We sell out at Beasley. zTHis move cannot be for better attendance. It might be that Moos didn'tmind carving out a date at Spokane Arena. Campus games there, at GU and one at the Arena. SO far so good. BUT if our guys were heavy handed or threatened to top the series, ........and it doesn't sound like our style, this makes us look bad. We need friends and thus far, we've gone the distance to work with the home and home games with the larger schools . Something about this doesn't sound quite right.

VaBeachZAG
04-19-2014, 05:24 AM
We sell out at Beasley. zTHis move cannot be for better attendance. It might be that Moos didn'tmind carving out a date at Spokane Arena. Campus games there, at GU and one at the Arena. SO far so good. BUT if our guys were heavy handed or threatened to top the series, ........and it doesn't sound like our style, this makes us look bad. We need friends and thus far, we've gone the distance to work with the home and home games with the larger schools . Something about this doesn't sound quite right.

Totally agree!

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-19-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Look at it this way...the home and home will continue after a one year break. During that one year break, we just happened to schedule a neutral site game with the same team. No big deal. This might be considered a semi-home game, but then again WSU usually gets "semi-home" status when they play in Spokane.

Comparing this deal with UW's 3-for-1 offer is ridiculous.

bartruff1
04-19-2014, 06:31 AM
Really ?? I will be darned...now I don't want to start a argument and I am sure there are people that circle the WSU game and see it as a rivalry but I am not one of them.

I have no idea what Gonzaga's modern (post 1999) record is against WSU ? I would not have been at all concerned if the series ended.

I can think of dozens of teams that I would rather watch Gonzaga play including UW and the Oregon schools and any of the top 30 teams or a notable top 25 mid major.

I see no advantage to beating WSU most of the time. A occasional game against them when they have a notable team would be fine with me.

roxdoc
04-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Maybe WSU wants to strengthen their fan/alumni base in Spokane. Get a piece of the market that GU has cornered. Engage the growing number of students attending their classes just across the river. Big picture stuff.

VaBeachZAG
04-19-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Look at it this way...the home and home will continue after a one year break. During that one year break, we just happened to schedule a neutral site game with the same team. No big deal. This might be considered a semi-home game, but then again WSU usually gets "semi-home" status when they play in Spokane.

Comparing this deal with UW's 3-for-1 offer is ridiculous.

Comparing this situation to the UW offer is totally valid, up to a point. UW sought to dictate scheduling terms to GU. By all accounts it appears GU dictated scheduling terms to WSU. Obviously, the dictated terms from UW to GU were far more onerous than the terms dictated by GU to WSU. The issue is that GU apparently did dictate the terms (i.e., take it or leave it). That's the point and some just won't take off the blinders long enough to see it and ask if that is really the way we would like to see GU conduct itself. Many had problems with the big boys dictating to GU as it was seeking to schedule to gain national prominence. Now that we are there, it seems to some to be okay to belittle other lesser programs with the take it or leave it approach. So many are quick to seize upon the phrase "GU is a special place." Well, apparently its scheduling philosophy is becoming anything but special. And with this, I am done with this thread!

U Zig, I Zag
04-19-2014, 10:24 AM
I can sort of understand why WSU fans might be a bit butt-hurt, but barely.

1) This isn't a 'rivalry'. WSU beat GU for 70 years - then stopped playing GU - then GU gets good and the roles flip. The deal is, GU is better now (and consistently better) than WSU has been. Ever. Lately, the WSU game is just a game that you hope GU doesn't lose. It's not a great win.

2) The UW/WSU comparisons are different. Way different. UW wants the thing in Seattle and Seattle is a UW town. Seattle is across a mount pass on the other side of the state from Spokane. Spokane likes the Zags but Spokane is a Coug town. JFK, everyone going to the WSU football games on Saturday is from Spokane. In fact, THE arena game should be this game for each team. Tons of fans (fans of both). Split the tickets.

3) What the WSU fans (and what Moos knows) is that WSU basketball sucks and probably will suck for some time. NOBODY goes to the games. For all the 'Wave the Flag' talk it's the most apathetic bunch of fans in D1 sports. All talk, no butts in the seats. They (WSU athletics as well as fans) are just embarrassed it has come to this.

4) Where do the WSU folks get the illusion that because they are in the Pac12 they get to dictate the terms? I keep reading about that this is basketball, not football.

exclusivelee
04-19-2014, 11:18 AM
1) This isn't a 'rivalry'. WSU beat GU for 70 years - then stopped playing GU - then GU gets good and the roles flip. The deal is, GU is better now (and consistently better) than WSU has been. Ever. Lately, the WSU game is just a game that you hope GU doesn't lose. It's not a great win.

Despite Wazzu not performing well, they sure give us a run for our money. Here's the last 20 games of the series:

Zags Win
Gonzaga
Wazzu

Last 20

Last 15

Last 10

Last 5

Year
W/L
Gonzaga
Wazzu
Loc

W
N

L
N

L
A

L
N

L
A

W
N

W
N

W
H

W
A

W
H

W
A

W
H

L
A

L
H

W
A

W
H

L
A

W
H

W
A

W
H

Ekrub
04-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Comparing this situation to the UW offer is totally valid, up to a point. UW sought to dictate scheduling terms to GU. By all accounts it appears GU dictated scheduling terms to WSU. Obviously, the dictated terms from UW to GU were far more onerous than the terms dictated by GU to WSU. The issue is that GU apparently did dictate the terms (i.e., take it or leave it). That's the point and some just won't take off the blinders long enough to see it and ask if that is really the way we would like to see GU conduct itself. Many had problems with the big boys dictating to GU as it was seeking to schedule to gain national prominence. Now that we are there, it seems to some to be okay to belittle other lesser programs with the take it or leave it approach. So many are quick to seize upon the phrase "GU is a special place." Well, apparently its scheduling philosophy is becoming anything but special. And with this, I am done with this thread!

Sorry, but GU didn't set up the system that benefits BCS schools. I think the appropriate phrase is "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Ekrub
04-19-2014, 11:52 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/apr/19/cougar-fans-snarling/

maynard g krebs
04-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Where did I hear the line, "it's not personal. It's business."? I think it was in a movie about some criminals. Anyway, the line seems to apply to this situation.

True that BCS schools routinely do this to mid majors, so turn about is fair play. It's also true that if you do business like everybody else, you shouldn't be talking about how you are a "special place".

Zag 77
04-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Seriously. When is the last time anybody pushed Bill Moos around, short of multi-millionaire Phil Knight, who fired him? The last time Bill Moos got pushed around might have been 50 years ago when he was a freshman football lineman at Wazzu, and that might have only been once or twice.

Moos has an iron will, and he damn well does things his way. I like Mike Roth, but I don't see him as pushing Moos around.

ZagaZags
04-19-2014, 06:16 PM
I went to 2 WSU games at the Spokane Arena (UCLA & Arizona) the arena was pretty full. I think WSU should play 1 game per season in the arena. Gonzaga just gave them a little nudge to get it started. I see nothing wrong with a home & home + neutral site deal. It had to be either Spokane Arena or the Kibbie Dome. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ZagaZags
04-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Roth: “So, Bill, we’ve decided that we want to move the next game away from Pullman, and to the Spokane Arena.”

Moos: “Well, uh, that seems a bit unfair, but I suppose we can make it a big event. Neutral-site games can be pretty cool. We can split a pretty big ### right down the mid—”

Roth: “Sorry, you misunderstood us. We want to move the game away from Pullman and make it a home game for us. We’ll control all the tickets and keep all the gate receipts. We’ll also need your players to wear pink tutus instead of their actual uniforms.”

Moos: “Uh, I don’t think I like this. We consistently draw 10,000 fans to Beasley for this game, but we can barely draw a few thousand for any other games. We NEED this game in Pullman.”

Roth: “If you say no, we’ll never play you again.”

Moos: “Ah, gee, really? Hmm. [thinks a few moments] I suppose we can make this work, but you’ve got to meet me halfway. How about you let us bring our spirit squad and band? They won’t need to perform, or even be in uniform. We just want them to be there. And maybe you could throw in a couple dozen tickets in the upper corners? I want to make sure the folks with skin in the game are taken care of.”

Roth: “C’mon Bill, you’re busting my balls here. Boy, they were right — you really are a good negotiator! Well, you drive a hard bargain, but let’s do it. You’ve got yourself a deal.”

Moos: “Great! Sorry to play hardball with you, but I’ve told our fans that we won’t be a doormat anymore. No hard feelings?”

Roth: “No hard feelings! Hey, here are my keys. Can you run out and bring my car around?”

Moos: “Sure thing!”

:starwars:

7ICoug
04-20-2014, 06:56 AM
It's also true that if you do business like everybody else, you shouldn't be talking about how you are a "special place".

True enough. But gee guys if you think a game in the Arena is neutral you are confused. Not when Gonzaga controls all the tickets, all the revenue (less what the Arena gave away to Bretts years ago). This is not a neutral site 300 yards from your campus and you will get 100% of all the revenue.

As the post said just stop with the "special place" and the we will play anyone anywhere anytime. You will if its to your advantage and evidently it currently is to your advantage. And also you can now get over the mid-major stuff. When you act like a "big boy" school you are one. Guess you'll be playing UCLA in the Arena as well ?

GoZags
04-20-2014, 07:00 AM
True enough. But gee guys if you think a game in the Arena is neutral you are confused. Not when Gonzaga controls all the tickets, all the revenue (less what the Arena gave away to Bretts years ago). This is not a neutral site 300 yards from your campus and you will get 100% of all the revenue.

As the post said just stop with the "special place" and the we will play anyone anywhere anytime. You will if its to your advantage and evidently it currently is to your advantage. And also you can now get over the mid-major stuff. When you act like a "big boy" school you are one. Guess you'll be playing UCLA in the Arena as well ?

UCLA is Pauley then K2.
Arizona is McKale then K2.
SMU will be K2 then Moody Coliseum (with a possible American Airlines Arena ... Dallas/KeyArena or new Sonics Arena addition to make it a 4 year deal similar to the GU/Illinois, GU/Arizona and GU/Oklahoma State deals).

FWIW those programs don't negatively impact Gonzaga's RPI like the recent games against Washington State's have. For example, if WSU were in the WCC, the Coug's RPI this past season would have placed them 11th, i.e. last in the WCC.

But thanks for asking.

DixieZag
04-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Can I just say that the thought of "UCLA" and "Arizona" on the uniforms of players playing on campus at Gonzaga still just seems absurd to me?

Maybe that's the difference between guys like me - graduated before '94 and the ones coming since.

I remember in '91-92 playing USC (and not a great USC team) in the Coliseum and, as Joe Biden would say, "that was a pretty big fffffkn deal" back then.

I hope to be at maybe one of the two and just seeing the warm-ups (never mind kicking their asteroids) will be a pretty big. . . .

bartruff1
04-20-2014, 07:30 AM
I don't think he will mind me saying this (and it is probably well known in any case) but every year when I whine about not playing SU, Dr. Krause tells me that Gonzaga doesn't normally schedule a home and home non conference series with a team with a RPI of more than 100.

This is the first time I have seen that alluded to in the media........ but of course you need only look at the schedules to see evidence of that strategy.

I should add that he also says that it is only the old farts that want to play Seattle U. and there are fewer of them every year !!! That Jerry, he is such a kidder.

wnczagfan
04-20-2014, 07:51 AM
I don't think he will mind me saying this (and it is probably well known in any case) but every year when I whine about not playing SU, Dr. Krause tells me that Gonzaga doesn't normally schedule a home and home non conference series with a team with a RPI of more than 100.

This is the first time I have seen that alluded to in the media........ but of course you need only look at the schedules to see evidence of that strategy.

I should add that he also says that it is only the old farts that want to play Seattle U. and there are fewer of them every year !!! That Jerry, he is such a kidder.

Next time you talk to him, please ask him to keep scheduling East Coast games for us long distance fans! The Wake Forest game a few years ago was great! How about Davidson, South Carolina, or Tennessee, please? We like to see the Zags in person!

bartruff1
04-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Next time you talk to him, please ask him to keep scheduling East Coast games for us long distance fans! The Wake Forest game a few years ago was great! How about Davidson, South Carolina, or Tennessee, please? We like to see the Zags in person!

He is a nice man, who listens politely while moving me toward the door and thanking me for my interest and making sure my butt doesn't get hit by the door. ... even Burgess couldn't get SU on the schedule. I have absolutely no influence ...none....nada....zip....I would love to see any of the new Big East schools, especially Georgetown or Nova..

exclusivelee
04-20-2014, 08:09 AM
He is a nice man, who listens politely while moving me toward the door and thanking me for my interest and making sure my butt doesn't get hit by the door. ... even Burgess couldn't get SU on the schedule. I have absolutely no influence ...none....nada....zip....I would love to see any of the new Big East schools, especially Georgetown or Nova..

doubt Seattle U is an option as long as Cameron Dollar is head coach there

exclusivelee
04-20-2014, 08:11 AM
SMU will be K2 then Moody Coliseum (with a possible American Airlines Arena ... Dallas/KeyArena or new Sonics Arena addition to make it a 4 year deal similar to the GU/Illinois, GU/Arizona and GU/Oklahoma State deals).

You hearing new things? Is SMU home-and-home officially a done deal and we host them in the first game of the series?

GoZags
04-20-2014, 09:17 AM
You hearing new things? Is SMU home-and-home officially a done deal and we host them in the first game of the series?

If it were official I am sure we'd have read about it in the Gonzaga Bulletin. Or on the website GoZags instead of the poster GoZags (btw I had the handle 1st). But to answer your question, yes I have heard things. Of course nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag.

exclusivelee
04-20-2014, 09:23 AM
If it were official I am sure we'd have read about it in the Gonzaga Bulletin. Or on the website GoZags instead of the poster GoZags (btw I had the handle 1st). But to answer your question, yes I have heard things. Of course nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag.

thank you for sharing

sylean
04-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Blasphemy. Few and company are at fault for all of this and the need for more high RPI games is just a screen for what's really going on: Gonzaga stomping mud over the most historic rivalry in all of sports that little Ole GU is lucky to have.

I'd rather GU just drop the game....just drop it rather than come off as a foot stomping little two year old, adamant to get their way...GU does not need WSU...of course, they are a useful game because WSU is Pac 12 and as Moos said WSU does play many teams with high rpi, which Gonzaga can't in the WCC....but I'd say just drop the game.....this much animosity with such a large number of Gonzaga season ticket holders also Coug fans in other sports, why do it?....

MTZag03
04-20-2014, 07:20 PM
this nugget was on the headline for Yahoo sports NCAA basketball. Sigh. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/scheduling-concessions-to-gonzaga-leave-washington-state-fans-disgusted-181317830.html Honestly, the reporting wasn't too terrible, but the headline isn't good.

Ekrub
04-20-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd rather GU just drop the game....just drop it rather than come off as a foot stomping little two year old, adamant to get their way...GU does not need WSU...of course, they are a useful game because WSU is Pac 12 and as Moos said WSU does play many teams with high rpi, which Gonzaga can't in the WCC....but I'd say just drop the game.....this much animosity with such a large number of Gonzaga season ticket holders also Coug fans in other sports, why do it?....

Really? Who is coming away from this foot stomping like a little two year old, adamant to get their way?

cougfan.com
cougcenter.com

kyle dixon
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
As a Zag fan I wish this was a true home and home series. I think Moos is trying to be creative and market this game to the Spokane market via the arena to get people down to Pullman. I am not sure. I do think Kent will recruit athletes to WSU and this will remain a competitive series.

MDABE80
04-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Bad press . Hugely bad as far as I can see. The deal makes us look like we're aholes...........just what we don't need. Good sportsmanship is far preferable........just my opnion.

seacatfan
04-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Seattle U...why? I don't see the up side. They stink. Haven't shown any indication they are moving towards being a legit DI team yet. I wonder how many more years Cameron Dollar is going to get, doesn't seem to be the guy to build a program.

jbslicer
04-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Since it's a GU home game, I'm (a season ticket holder) expecting better seats than I ever got for the Ronald McDonald House game.
Kind of dumb not to play the Cougs. Weak Pac-12 team with some decent talent. The game in Pullman was always a tough test for the Zags. Uncle Ernie will have a decent team in a few years.

bartruff1
04-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Seattle U...why? I don't see the up side. They stink. Haven't shown any indication they are moving towards being a legit DI team yet. I wonder how many more years Cameron Dollar is going to get, doesn't seem to be the guy to build a program.

You might be pleased to know that the only individuals who count..... agree with you..... they might use different language but the result is the same.